• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

I thought I read somewhere that they were going to demo this sometime last year (TGS?) but decided to delay that to polish it up some more.

Am I making this shit up?
No, TGS is when the first rumor appeared, but what I remember hearing is they delayed it because they didn't want to "confuse the launch message," make people think they needed an expensive accessory to get the "full PS4 experience," etc.

Even if PS4's camera could accurately track your hand in 3D space, and it can't, it's no substitute for a Move. It has weight, it has buttons, it can provide feedback, it's going to be your magic wand for interacting directly with the VR world.

Obviously there will be plenty of DS4 games, but Move is a much better VR input solution.
Keep in mind the DS4 is also effectively a Move wand, albeit a somewhat clumsy one. Should be great for pointing, and okay for limited grabbing of virtual objects here and there though. Try holding it just with your right hand, and grabbing stuff with R2; it's not really bad at all, but you wouldn't wanna be doing it all day or anything.

There needs to be data input from the device itself anyway, and the Move and DS4 don't have the same extension holes, so you can't connect to those, so you need the USB input, and USB3 has lots of bandwidth.
I expect they'll continue to use Bluetooth to gather data from the inertial sensors on the headset. Works fine for the wands and the DS4, so I see no reason to change it.

Can the PS4 output the A/V output to the USBs?
Well, if it has headphones built in, they may use USB for that, and if so, they may as well use it for the sensor data too, I suppose, unless they use a wireless USB setup for audio. I doubt they'd USB for the video though; no way they'd get enough reliable bandwidth and latency, I'd imagine.

Edit: Duh; I'm retarded. HDMI can carry both the video and headphone audio. ><

I'm curious as to whether Move will be as important to Sony's VR as some make it to be. Watching some of the SoftKinetic (who provided Ubisoft their "iisu" middleware for Just Dance) videos on youtube make 3D tracking with a stereocamera quite impressive.

Even if PS4's camera could accurately track your hand in 3D space, and it can't, it's no substitute for a Move. It has weight, it has buttons, it can provide feedback, it's going to be your magic wand for interacting directly with the VR world.

Obviously there will be plenty of DS4 games, but Move is a much better VR input solution.

I hope Sony has there own version of this. It turns the Move and nav controller into a single device. Two of these would be the perfect VR input device.

DualPlay_Peripheral.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hykjEBYzCnE

Oppo

I would think it would be an HDMI breakout box that passes through the regular TV signal while intercepting for VR usage, as well as a USB cable tethered for control and signal.

They can take advantage of the fact that most people will want to be stationary (sitting) when using this thing if it does turn out to be a full visor that blocks everything out, for all the reasons stated (stepping on the cat etc). And if they are stationary then the cords are not that big a deal, if properly managed.

The point about the odd AUX port is interesting though. I don't know why they made it proprietary this time. They never cared before.

I did some googling, and HDMI splitters are real (lol), and add no lag. Just include one of those and we're set. Just plug in your TV and HMD, and you never need touch it again. As an added bonus, your family can spectate on the TV while you play.

To stop people using it on PC probably.
/nod IIRC, Rigby was saying the sensors in the Camera are really expensive, and Sony are likely selling the Camera at or below cost. Hence the proprietary plug.

I hope Sony has there own version of this. It turns the Move and nav controller into a single device. Two of these would be the perfect VR input device.
Sony have a patent for what's basically a DualShock that splits in to a pair of wands. We may see it finally released for use with PSVR.

Edit: And I'll bet the headset won't use USB for anything at all, or they'd have put a port on the back to plug it in. :p

iceatcs

I did some googling, and HDMI splitters are real (lol), and add no lag. Just include one of those and we're set. Just plug in your TV and HMD, and you never need touch it again. As an added bonus, your family can spectate on the TV while you play.
Cool. Still what about OS? Will it better off to have it own OS for VR and TV separately, because it won't take too much GPU as it is only OS. Not sure splitters can do that.

Cool. Still what about OS? Will it better off to have it own OS for VR and TV separately, because it won't take too much GPU as it is only OS. Not sure splitters can do that.
Sorry, I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you asking about the operating system? What about it?

iceatcs

Sorry, I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you asking about the operating system? What about it?
Sorry what I mean that I suspect it might need to redesign the OS UI viewable on VR but what about tv screen, maybe switch on headset to switch UI.
Just curious, how 3DTV work with PS3 OS or in-game OS?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
A VR experience in Journey's world be eye melting. I just don't see how the game mechanics would work in VR.

I don't see why any genre is impossible in VR.
Why can't the player be like a puppetmaster floating around on top of a drone above the action?

A thought just occurred to me. Does anyone remember that announced PS Move 80's Horror Movie inspired game Until Dawn? It hasn't released yet, but was never publicly canceled to my knowledge. What if it still exists, but is being reworked for VR? That would be crazy!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
A thought just occurred to me. Does anyone remember that announced PS Move 80's Horror Movie inspired game Until Dawn? It hasn't released yet, but was never publicly canceled to my knowledge. What if it still exists, but is being reworked for VR? That would be crazy!

Theres been zero comment about the game since December. Looks like its still being made.

If it still exists its obviously not as a PS3 only Move based game.

Sorry what I mean that I suspect it might need to redesign the OS UI viewable on VR but what about tv screen, maybe switch on headset to switch UI.
Just curious, how 3DTV work with PS3 OS or in-game OS?
Oh, I see what you mean. No, the splitter won't be able to send different UIs to the TV and headset; they're just mirrored, so the TV will show "what the headset wearer sees," whatever that may be. Similarly, if the TV is "dominant," like when you're playing a normal game, someone putting on the headset will just see whatever is on the TV.

With regard to the Dynamic Menu itself during VR sessions, it's hard to say what they'll do. When you tap the PS Button, they may just replace the game with the standard 2D UI, or maybe the standard UI with a little depth added. Ideally, they'd have an entirely different UI for virtual interactions, but I don't know if we'll actually see that, especially at or near launch.

I think he means the UI. The PS4's UI wouldn't be optimal in VR. I like the Ideal of using a VR version of Playstation Home as a launcher/3D UI for all VR experiences on the PS4.
I've been thinking the same, actually. Game launching was woefully under-supported in Home, but I'm hoping that changes in Home 2, especially if it's VR-based. I imagine hanging out in your apartment with your Homies, and then all taking the turbolift to your Driveclub garage, or to your latest creation in [Media Molecule VR Game]. All VRs should fully support Home 2, so you can seamlessly transition from one environment to the next.

Home 2 needs to fulfill the original's vision of being a place to just hang out with your friends, and jump in to games whenever the mood strikes you. Your journey in the turbolift will just be used to mask the game's initial loading.

I would like the concept of Home to be some sort of psychedelic VR experience with friends. The current state of Home, even if amped with VR... doesn't feel all that appealing.

I want this.

DVYBUpp.jpg

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Keep in mind the DS4 is also effectively a Move wand, albeit a somewhat clumsy one. Should be great for pointing, and okay for limited grabbing of virtual objects here and there though. Try holding it just with your right hand, and grabbing stuff with R2; it's not really bad at all, but you wouldn't wanna be doing it all day or anything.

The DS4 is closer to the Wii Remote+ than the Move.

The light bar allows for (rough) positional tracking only when the controller is pointed towards the camera and even then it doesn't help with yaw tacking as nicely as the Move sphere does. It's easier to track the center of a sphere compared to that of a shape-shifting polygon. In Playroom, it takes me a few minutes of waggling to cause the bot-sucking vacuum cone to come out from the controller at wrong angles.

Holding the DS4 as you suggest, not only it would be awkward to operate, but you'd basically hide the bar from the camera. Which would make accurate positional tracking even harder.

DualPlay_Peripheral.jpg

Come to think of it, that sort of attachment would actually make a lot of sense. It would be cheap and very effective provided Move face buttons are mirrored onto the attachment (which would connect to the Move via its EXT port).

They might actually release it with Navi functionality already "embedded" so that all you'd need would be the Moves. Kinda like the STEM system.

Ideally replace the STEM module with a Move.

Man

The new sixense STEM looks really clunky and not really inviting (I have it pre-ordered btw). Wands/remotes (or ultimately gloves) is the way to go.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The new sixense STEM looks really clunky and not really inviting (I have it pre-ordered btw). Wands/remotes (or ultimately gloves) is the way to go.

Well, the STEM system is basically a wand. Ok, closer to a pistol grip actually. As for the way it looks... I personally don't mind it but I'm sure Sony would come up with a cooler form factor.

Not sure about gloves being the way to go but that's for another topic. :)

Man

It looks like one is picking up blow-torches or futuristic mech controls. :p Simulating a pencil or a gun will in my mind feel better with a wand. Wands need sticks though, feel like I've been requesting this forever.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
It looks like one is picking up blow-torches or futuristic mech controls. :p Simulating a pencil or a gun will in my mind feel better with a wand. Wands need sticks though, feel like I've been requesting this forever.

I see your point. A wand would be more versatile in that you can hold it in different ways (as a pencil, a pointer, a sword) for maximum somatic gratification :D

That said, I don't mind the STEM design, conceptually. I think it covers most of the stuff mentioned above, minus the pencil.

I told Sony on their EU blog the day they showed the final Move controller unit, that they should've put a stick on it, missed opportunity.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah but would you consider say, a sitting Table Tennis in VR, superior to the current Sports Champions TT with Move + TV?

Besides, armchairs as well as your own legs would severely limit the range of shots you could perform. Not to mention the fact that your virtual persona (or rather his point of view) should be stationary to reflect your real life position to avoid vestibular mistamtch.

No. If they are working on sports sims, they must be confident the player can safely play while standing up. Perhaps the PS4-Headset cable might have some sort of magnetic connector like the Macs MagSafe thing?
They could do a Paralympics game. And I'm not trolling. Wheelchair sports could work well.

And I still want everybody's golf VR

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There needs to be data input from the device itself anyway, and the Move and DS4 don't have the same extension holes, so you can't connect to those, so you need the USB input, and USB3 has lots of bandwidth.

Can the PS4 output the A/V output to the USBs?

It's a stretch of the imagination here, but what if PS4 has HDMI+Ethernet? So they could just use the single HDMI connector for data too?

I don't think it matters for the headset, you'll most likely have one cable to a breakout box. If that box needs separate HDMI and USB connections then OK. If it has HDMI passthrough that would be handy, but no rear USB on the PS4 means a fair tangle of cables anyway..

Is move good enough? The motion tracking with the playstation camera should be, assuming latency is ok. But would a move + nunchuk be enough? A nunchuk gives you an analogue stick, but it doesn't have motion tracking, so you'd only have one 'hand' and secondary controls. Could you make a move with analogue stick so you could track two hands, or are we now escalating the costs quite a bit - if it works with the existing camera and moves, then I only have to buy the headset

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is move good enough? The motion tracking with the playstation camera should be, assuming latency is ok. But would a move + nunchuk be enough? A nunchuk gives you an analogue stick, but it doesn't have motion tracking, so you'd only have one 'hand' and secondary controls. Could you make a move with analogue stick so you could track two hands, or are we now escalating the costs quite a bit - if it works with the existing camera and moves, then I only have to buy the headset

I think when they announced that the existing Move controller would be a part of the PS4 platform, that pretty much confirmed there won't be a new revision.

StuBurns

Banned
It's a stretch of the imagination here, but what if PS4 has HDMI+Ethernet? So they could just use the single HDMI connector for data too?

I don't think it matters for the headset, you'll most likely have one cable to a breakout box. If that box needs separate HDMI and USB connections then OK. If it has HDMI passthrough that would be handy, but no rear USB on the PS4 means a fair tangle of cables anyway..
Well if it's HDMI I'm sure they'll just use bluetooth for the data, I was just thinking it would be a nicer user experience to literally just be able to plug the unit in the front and not have to sync it or anything, but if you're using HDMI out, I guess any input isn't going to happen. Not that it's a big deal, but no bluetooth is nicer considering you'll be tethered anyway.
The camera and Move should be fine for the latency requirements. As for it's interaction, it'll be interesting to see how this stuff grows. I think a single Move/Navi combo should be the default, and the games should be designed with one 'live' hand in the simulation. Two hands would obviously be advantageous in some situations, but we're already looking at a huge game design shift with independent look/reticule coming, and effective second reticule would make even less preexisting game design conventions transferable.

DualPlay_Peripheral.jpg

Am I the only one who sees the above control scheme going hand in hand with an RPG like Skyrim or Dark Souls? Seriously I've wanted to be able to hold a shield and sword, wand, mace or axe with exact 1 to 1 since i picked up the Move controllers. Imagine being able to chop limbs of your foes or behead them. That with VR is next gen!!!!!
..... for me at least.

StuBurns

Banned
The guy is a journo of Everyeye.it, an Italian website.
Interesting.

It's his wording that I find odd, the 'viewer' will be revealed? If Sony are announcing VR, they're announcing the whole initiative. The viewer makes it sound like some slow roll out of bits and pieces.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Interesting.

It's his wording that I find odd, the 'viewer' will be revealed? If Sony are announcing VR, they're announcing the whole initiative. The viewer makes it sound like some slow roll out of bits and pieces.

Or thats what Italians might call it? Projectors are 'beamers' so different terminology isn't unusual

Top Bottom