• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit Part 3: TBOFA What was the worst part? Of this god awful film. *Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
... What.

This thread is overflowing with Middle-Earth knowledge.

Uughh, ok I'll do all the work for you.

Thranduil sending Legolas to find Strider for no logical reason at all. Other than HEY KIDS REMEMBER ARAGON?

Ok so this guys problem is that he can't understand why Thranduil would send Legolas to find strider, someone that at this stage Legolas does no know. He won't even tell him Striders real name.

As someone else pointed out in this thread, it would make Strider roughly 11 years old and probably not even called Strider at the time.

Which makes this moment in the film a total fan service wank, which makes entirely no sense.

To which the following guy responded.

Legolas jumps to Aragorn's defence at the Council of Elrond, suggesting a history between them.

Da fuq? But he does not have a history with Aragorn, he's never met him.

He doesn't even know his name.

To which I responded.

When does he jump to his defence?

In a previous film?

Tell me it didnt happen in the Hobbit because the way Thranduil speaks to him makes out that Legolas has never met him, he said "his real name, you'll have to discover for yourself!"

Doesn't sounds like he knows him at all.

I'm about as confused by Vashetti's comment as you are about the idea of following a conversation, and clicking back a page to understand them.

Kathian

Banned
Legolas knew Aragorn before LotR; they meet between these films - Aragorn acknowledges him at the council. I don't like the scene though in The Hobbit 3 as honestly, Fellowship is through mostly Hobbit eyes and after that Aragorn/Legolas don't talk of much past in the next two films.

Its not clear for the audience and it was silly to leave in.

Cheebo

Banned
The fact this movie seemed to lack Middle-Earth knowledge is a lot more painful.
Yep. It is pretty clear watching these as wel as the appendices that Jackson was doing the films half-heartedly unlike LOTR. HIs heart wasn't in these at all and it shows.

zeemumu

I feel like GAF and I have different definitions of garbage. Ghost Rider 2 was garbage. The Last Airbender was garbage. Transformers 4 was garbage. The Hobbit films weren't as good as they should have been but at no point was I sitting there thinking that it was an affront to all things sacred.

glaurung

Or the part where the Orcs use their secret weapon - gigantic worms - to dig holes near the battle location and that's it.
For all it's worth, the giant worms (hello Dune?) evaporated once the tunnels were done.
Either the scene mentioned in the OP with Bard escaping prison or the scene where bard jams his bow parts into the walls or some shit and then uses the kid to aim his arrow. The force of pulling the bowstring doesn't yank the bow from wherever the hell he jammed it, and the string somehow doesn't snap that kid. The physics of that scene is just mindbogglingly stupid.
I cringed at the physics of that "shot" as well. Plus there was some weird stuff going on beforehand - Bard's son seeing the dragon and almost falling off the tower holding the black arrow, somehow going stiff and catatonic. The next moment? All fine and being used as a stabilizing stand.

Bard might as well have thrown the arrow like a javelin in this cartoon physics dream world.

I'm not sure I even want to see it now.

Personally, I'm a bigger fan of the Hobbit book than the LotR books, so I was super hyped for this project, but when this turned into three films I started getting concerned... after King Kong, I should have known why. Jackson without a leash seems incapable of proper pacing.

I may not watch anything he makes from here on out unless we're talking Meet the Feebles 2

Was gonna marathon these online once all were available, I may just go read the book again.

Ok so this guys problem is that he can't understand why Thranduil would send Legolas to find strider, someone that at this stage Legolas does no know. He won't even tell him Striders real name.

As someone else pointed out in this thread, it would make Strider roughly 11 years old and probably not even called Strider at the time.

Which makes this moment in the film a total fan service wank, which makes entirely no sense.

To which I responded.

I'm about as confused by Vashetti's comment as you are about the idea of following a conversation, and clicking back a page to understand them.

The third Hobbit film is set prior to the Fellowship of the Ring. You know that, right?

Legolas has not met Aragorn.

Thranduil sends Legolas to meet Aragorn.

Legolas meets Aragorn and learns about him.

Council of Elrond happens and Legolas, having met Aragorn, leaps to his defense.

How is this hard to understand?

First one was quite bad. I don't know why I went to see the second. I had some hope, I guess. I have no desire to go and watch the third one.

Just so embarrasingly bad movies and a heinous crime against the book. Shame on you, Peter Jackson.

Same here. The first one wasn't that good to begin with. And then the reviews of the second one were all: "This movie redeems the first Hobbit movie." and "Peter Jackson is back with this great follow up to a weak film."

But it sucked even more. I lost all my faith in this franchise and Peter Jackson can just stop making movies in this universe. Just stop, please.

I guess we should be grateful that the LOTR movies were good.

Chuckie

I think the person you respond meant:

In Fellowship of the Ring it shows at the Council of Elrond that Legolas and Aragorn have met before.

In the movie (chronologically) before that, you see Thranduil telling Legolas to meet Strider who roams with the Dunadain.

See it all 'fits'.... except it is bullshit because Aragorn is a small boy at Rivendell.
It was totally unnecessary and indeed just a stupid wink to the audience to mention Aragorn.

Wrong. The Hobbit takes place in 2950 of the Third Age. Aragorn was born in 2931, making him 19 or 20 around the time Legolas is tasked with finding him. Perfectly reasonable for him to have built a reputation by then, hence going by the name of Strider.

Who said those mountain worms were controllable? Maybe they just scared a couple of them into surfacing for a few seconds.

The hyenas used the wildebeest herd to kill Mufasa in 'The Lion King'. That doesn't mean the wildebeest were being mind-controlled.

Wrong. The Hobbit takes place in 2950 of the Third Age. Aragorn was born in 2931, making him 19 or 20 around the time Legolas is tasked with finding him. Perfectly reasonable for him to have built a reputation by then, hence going by the name of Strider.

In one of the other threads, someone mentioned that time is a little screwed up in the Jackson interpretation and Aragorn would be younger than he should be at that point. I don't know the specifics.

I loved it, especially the opening. Sorry, OP.

Same, but my only real criticism is that I think that should have been the climax of the second movie with a shorter Erebor encounter, and this movie should have opened with the aftermath. That would have made for a god-tier climax. God-tier opening instead, but whatever.

I believe the giant worms affectionately called Wyrms in Middle-Earth were used again by Saurons forces, only in the war of the north though. In fact I was under the impression they added the Wyrms because they had already been established in other Middle-Earth stuff.

I believe the giant worms affectionately called Wyrms in Middle-Earth were used again by Saurons forces, only in the war of the north though. In fact I was under the impression they added the Wyrms because they had already been established in other Middle-Earth stuff.

I think they added them because they needed a reason for everyone to disbelieve Gandalf that orcs were on the move, coming to try to take the mountain.

In the book, Gandalf suddenly shows up in the middle of the battlefield right before the big fight starts. Everyone's like "why the hell is there an old man just standing there? Get out of the way," and he's like "dude I'm Gandalf and you're all acting like children, there's an army of orcs right over there and you're going to want to team up to beat them," and then they do.

In the movie they wanted more of Gandalf, so they brought him back early, which meant everyone needed to not take him seriously about the orcs in order to keep the tension up.

Cheebo

Banned
The third Hobbit film is set prior to the Fellowship of the Ring. You know that, right?

Council of Elrond happens and Legolas, having met Aragorn, leaps to his defense.

Because there is literally no reason for him to send Legolas to find Aragorn. Thranduil has nothing to do with Gondor or its heir and no reason to have any interest in it. It was a meaningless wink to the audience.

The biggest crime is how lackluster the score was. Even Shore knew the films were garbage.

I get that music is subjective but this is something I can't really agree with. There were plenty of standout tracks on the soundtrack. That being said, at least in my cinema the score was really muted in favor of the sound effects.

I mean, this is lackluster? Just not seeing (hearing) it.

Cheebo

Banned
I get that music is subjective but this is something I can't really agree with. There were plenty of standout tracks on the soundtrack. That being said, at least in my cinema the score was really muted in favor of the sound effects.
I was baffled why he dropped the dwarves theme after unexpected journey.

Windam

Scaley member

To which I responded.

The films don't follow Tolkien's timeline. Things are more spread out in the books while Jackson snipped away the 17 year time gap (in LotR) to make things flow faster.

zma1013

Yeah probably my least favorite of all the hobbit films. I actually enjoyed the first one. Say what you will but it had 3 memorable moments in it for me being the initial party at Bilbos house with the singing and all that, the riddle scene, and the end cliffside fight. I don't remember anything from the second movie other than the smaug encounter. This third movie i will probably remember for all the bad things as mentioned by everyone already.

I would like to have seen the version Del Toro had in his mind. I think it would have turned out far better.

bengraven

Awful movie. The trilogy felt soulless. Sometimes I wonder if PJ's heart was in it at all.

After watching 12 hours of the Appendices so far, I would say yes and no. He's obviously having a blast and loving the reunion with his friends. But you can see that he's tired, he ends up very ill with an ulcer at one point and starts gaining weight again and you can see the fatigue dragging him down.

I would argue age and health over boredom, because you rarely see him without a smile on his face, even if his eyes say "fuck, I need a nap".

Because there is literally no reason for him to send Legolas to find Aragorn. Thranduil has nothing to do with Gondor or its heir and no reason to have any interest in it. It was a meaningless wink to the audience.

There's always some stuff that can be handwaved in movies, things that don't demand a perfect explanation.

Maybe Thranduil was thinking hey, he's leaving anyway, might as well send him to meet someone with great potential, he can train him, and maybe he'll eventually make it to Rivendell and at least live with some of his kind and meet a nice elf lady to settle down with.

That's not even why I posted though, it seemed like the guy genuinely didn't understand what was going on at all.

Chococat

The problem is that there is no motivation in the films for Thranduil to send Legolas to seek Strider. That is why it seems so out of place. He has been a angry, aloof control freak for the first two films. The sudden shift to "wise about love" and having mystical foresight about his son's part in the Fellowship is why is it jarring. It's like Thranduil was channeling Gandalf in those scenes.

Using what was in the films, it would have been better that Legolas left cause he was fed up with his dad micromanaging his life and heartbroken over the lose of a future with Tauriel. A simple "I'm out of here dad, I need to find my own place in this world."

bengraven

tumblr_inline_n9v3szAMGG1rz7b0e.gif

I think the movie was awesome. It is fantasy, I don't care if Legolas jumpsteps some blocks in the air. They had awesome Troll designs and cool action scenes.

Damn, now I feel sort of guilty for how much I enjoyed it. Easily the highlight of an otherwise disappointing trilogy for me. I think my distaste for the second movie really set the stage for the third, and my extremely low expectations may have played a part in how much fun I actually had watching it.

Windam

Scaley member
The problem is that there is no motivation in the films for Thranduil to send Legolas to seek Strider. That is why it seems so out of place. He has been a angry, aloof control freak for the first two films. The sudden shift to "wise about love" and having mystical foresight about his son's part in the Fellowship is why is it jarring. It's like Thranduil was channeling Gandalf in those scenes.

Using what was in the films, it would have been better that Legolas left cause he was fed up with his dad micromanaging his life and heartbroken over the lose of a future with Tauriel. A simple "I'm out of here dad, I need to find my own place in this world."

His son clearly no longer gives a shit about his rules, defying him more than once. Seeing everything that had transpired made Legolas realize that the Elves, or at least he, could not sit idly by while evil crept back in Middle-earth. He makes this pretty clear to Thranduil, and seeing as how he cannot change his son's mind, sends him to meet with someone who has the potential to become a great leader in the future, especially against the forces of darkness.

Legolas literally walking on air. I wasn't much of a fan before that scene (movie feels too much like one big fight scene with zero exposition or resolution), but that scene had me wanting to throw my hands up and leave the cinema.

Ridiculous how OP he was. Straight Terminator in Smaug and then someone who is able to walk on air in Five Armies.
This was mine too!

His son clearly no longer gives a shit about his rules, defying him more than once. Seeing everything that had transpired made Legolas realize that the Elves, or at least he, could not sit idly by while evil crept back in Middle-earth. He makes this pretty clear to Thranduil, and seeing as how he cannot change his son's mind, sends him to meet with someone who has the potential to become a great leader in the future, especially against the forces of darkness.

Bingo. I guess I would have had to read between the lines as it wasn't stated outright in the movie, but this was my take on why he chose to give Legolas that parting advice. Dude's leaving anyway, might as well suggest he go meet up with this Dunedain fellow that's probably going to be a big deal at some point. Maybe learn something.

As for the sudden understanding toward Kate's feelings for the dwarf, I believe it was mentioned at one point that Thranduil had tragically lost his wife to some situation or another, and from that point on I just assumed that his hard line on matters of romance were stemming from this event. I wish I could recall what was said or when they said it, but I felt like this sort of acted as an explanation for why he was the way he was, and it made it more meaningful when he finally softened at the end.

Damn, now I feel sort of guilty for how much I enjoyed it. Easily the highlight of an otherwise disappointing trilogy for me. I think my distaste for the second movie really set the stage for the third, and my extremely low expectations may have played a part in how much fun I actually had watching it.

The moments with Bilbo and Thorin were awesome, honestly any moment with Bilbo was awesome.

Everything after "because it was real" is a really great ending for the trilogy and the series in general, including Billy Boyd's credits song, which is the best credits song in all 6 movies.

Legolas walking on tetris blocks officially outdid the Oliphaunt scene from RotK, in absurdity. It's as bad as the scene where he's surfing down a stairwell on a shield in TTT. My favorite Legolas scenes are the two moments in the six films where he actually fails. Seeing him get his ass kicked at the end of DoS was glorious.

Windam

Scaley member
Bingo. I guess I would have had to read between the lines as it wasn't stated outright in the movie, but this was my take on why he chose to give Legolas that parting advice. Dude's leaving anyway, might as well suggest he go meet up with this Dunedain fellow that's probably going to be a big deal at some point. Maybe learn something.

As for the sudden understanding toward Kate's feelings for the dwarf, I believe it was mentioned at one point that Thranduil had tragically lost his wife to some situation or another, and from that point on I just assumed that his hard line on matters of romance were stemming from this event. I wish I could recall what was said or when they said it, but I felt like this sort of acted as an explanation for why he was the way he was, and it made it more meaningful when he finally softened at the end.

I haven't watched it yet, but I believe it's mentioned in the extended edition of the Desolation of Smaug. His wife dies against forces from Gundabad and pretty much all his happiness goes with her. That would make it the second family member Thranduil has lost due to contesting Sauron (first his father in the Battle of Dagorlad). Would make sense why he would want to isolate his people from war and be a huge dick about it.

Timbuktu

It was a miracle Lotr was any good at all. That's the only positive thing I took from the movie, thank goodness it's over.

Chuckie

Wrong. The Hobbit takes place in 2941 of the Third Age, making Aragorn 10 or 11 and still living in Rivendel.

Not that it really matters I guess, because PJ's timeline is different anyway.

Movie was a lot of fun. I enjoyed watching it, my wife enjoyed watching it. The 200 people in the first showing at Metropolis Theater seemed to enjoy the movie.

So I'd have to say the "Worms"

J-Rod

I liked it besides the jacking off of legolas that has to happen in every movie.

The battles were silly an unrealistic, but that is par for the course.

I was surprised that two dwarves could duo "only" 100 goblin mercenaries. I hope they didn't pay them much.

It didn't make sense...but they HAD to put it in because that's what she also did in Lord of the Rings.

Feels like that's been Jackson's mantra in making these films.

No Beorn. Why do we need Legolas or mostly everyone for that matter when we have a man-bear. A guy who literally transforms into a huge bear of death and gore. And he doesn't appear for more than three seconds. WHAT.

As I recall from the book, Beorn is fucking huge when he turns into a bear, and he plays a crucial role in the battle, smashing his way through waves of goblins to save Thorin (who later succumbs to his wounds anyway).

Haven't seen this, didn't especially like the other two and it sounds like I can safely ignore this one as well. Although by the sounds of it I should have a good Red Letter Media Half in the Bag episode to look forward to!

Not sure if it was a limitation of the tech or of his imagination, but there were times during the film where i was kinda wondering why it was shot so terribly. It just all seemed kinda half hearted compared to the first trilogy.

also, how do you make a 3 part, almost 9 hour set of films and yet the ending seems really rushed? and the beginning of the film is just the ending of the last film, so why didn't that just happen in the last film? meh.

bengraven

You should feel terrible for liking something a vocal minority of people aggressively pushing their opinions on forums and movie sites are hating.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
We need to prepare for war!

War?

Do you want peace or war?

War!

I will have war!

Seriously, how many times do they have to mention that there's going to be a WAR?

either that or Thorin aaaarrrgghhh it's so gold oooo like liquid caramel aaaarrggfhhhh ok I'm good again.

The Hobbit trilogy (still feels odd saying that) are terrible, pointless films. I thought There and Back Again was the worst of the three.

Windam

Scaley member
We need to prepare for war!

War?

Do you want peace or war?

War!

I will have war!

Seriously, how many times do they have to mention that there's going to be a WAR?

either that or Thorin aaaarrrgghhh it's so gold oooo like liquid caramel aaaarrggfhhhh ok I'm good again.

The Hobbit trilogy (still feels odd saying that) are terrible, pointless films. I thought There and Back Again was the worst of the three.

There was a film titled There and Back Again? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom