• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Wait, what?" Misheard things/gibberish heard in games

Ferrio

Banned
I knew a kid in school who swore that Ryu yelled "Are you Ken?" when he did his dragon punch. I don't remember how he explained Ken saying the same thing.

Obligatory

rL2uWlH.jpg

SoulUnison

Banned
Ristar sounds garbled on the game's title screen, which makes it easy to misinterpret "Play with me?", already unexpected to hear from a hero type.

Wait, it's not "Play with me?"
I thought it was, like, a mini breaking the fourth wall/Ristar missing any parental involvement moment.

I played that game every day before and after grade school for a long time.

I'm not sure my mind can handle mishearing the title screen.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Lol this thread is cracking me up, here is another one:

This one is pretty obscure, but in the fighting game SVC chaos, the announcer would say some engrish before the fight starts that sounded exactly like "battle! tears drop!" which always made us laugh, but then in the console American version of the game they actually changed the announcer and he actually would say "battle till you drop", when we realised this was what the Japanese announcer was intending to say it made it even funnier.
You can hear it at 1:40 in this clip:
http://youtu.be/bQnd4Cw4oMU

Fighter's History has some good ones -

"Spinach Wave!"
"Baked Potato!"

There was also TMNT Tournament Fighters on SNES,

Asuka: "Put down the knife!" "Table Salt!"

Raph <or was it Mike> "Striking Tunner!"

For some weird reason I always heard Capt. America say "Thumbs up Folgers!"

linko9

For the longest time, like, until a month ago, I though the announcer in Smash Bros. was saying "Player 1, he beats it!" when P1 gets knocked out (actually "defeated").

Streets of Rage II

Axel - Passpaw/Resapaw/Rent-a-car/Random Punch?
Grand Upper

Shiva - Why No Grass?
Final Crash

Skate - Coast Rikki?
Corkscrew Kick

Blaze - Cherry Chew
Terra Shield

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Dragonball Z Budokai 3, when Kaioshin does the move where I think he summons like random objects and throws them at you, he says "Begin feed" EDIT: Its called Supernatural Abilities

Also, when Bardock does Riot Javelin it sounds like "QUIET, FOOL!" and the special when he does Heat Phalanx it sounds like "Good man"

Dez_

Mario 64 with Bowser was already stated, but I always used to hear as "Salami, Bowser." It made sense to me as a kid.

In Gears of War, I could never understand what most of the Locusts were saying, other than "ground walkers" and "boom!" Most of the grunts would say... I dunno, "dominate" or "marmalade?"

ExVicis

Up until like a couple years ago I was completely certain in Mortal Kombat when the Dev appears he says "Whoopsie!" It was like the end of an era when I found out I was wrong.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I know Mario 64 was said, but what does he actually say when he throws him? I still can't tell.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Bionic Commando actually did something hilarious playing off of this.

When you first enter a cutscene your character says something like "You'll just have to fight it". If you lose the battle however and need to rewatch the cutscene, this time the character says "You'll just have to fuck it". After that, every single time you watch the cutscene they'll say the first line - "You'll just have to fight it."

So if you were playing Bionic Commando then no you didn't mishear, they are messing with you and the character did actually just say "You'll just have to fuck it." which is hilarious.

Here it is in game - jump to 2:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AENK18YLuKw

jobrro

Persona 4 - "Heartbeat, Heartbreak"

Tell me why you're dirty, electric phone in the butt
Tell me why you're dirty out to the corners
Still like it, still like it, oh! Baby, I need Jello
Looking so different, bloody streetlight
Happy, happy, taking some pounding
Heartbreak, heartbreak, you tell me koopa

LOL, read along while listening on Youtube, fits every word. Couple of the other Persona 4 songs I was really surprised after seeing the actual lyrics. Some of those songs you just hear over and over and over and I still didn't know what they were meant to be singing until my curiosity got the better of me and I just looked it up.

Edit:

Think during the track "Your Affection" when they sing "Your affection" I think I kept hearing "You're special". It repeats over and over too.

Your Affection

Krejlooc

Banned
I have no fucking clue what Thunderforce 2 says when you begin a level.

It sounds like "Jyeah bleah jyeah jyuh... good luck!"

A_Gorilla

Banned
Christ, Street Fighter II:

Hadouken sounded like "I'm Loosin'" Which made sense to me since the AI would only start spamming them when I was beating it.

Shoryuken: "Oh Mutant!"

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku: "That much is bleeding!"

Also the announcer on the Genesis versions is garbled as Hell. Brazil sounded like "Pluhville!"

Bionic Commando actually did something hilarious playing off of this.

When you first enter a cutscene your character says something like "You'll just have to fight it". If you lose the battle however and need to rewatch the cutscene, this time the character says "You'll just have to fuck it". After that, every single time you watch the cutscene they'll say the first line - "You'll just have to fight it."

So if you were playing Bionic Commando then no you didn't mishear, they are messing with you and the character did actually just say "You'll just have to fuck it." which is hilarious.

Here it is in game - jump to 2:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AENK18YLuKw

This is great.

The opening narration of the old LucasArts classic “Full Throttle” goes something along the lines of "Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation before I blacked out; the thick smell of asphalt”.

Unfortunately, the combo of the gravelly voiceover, a dodgy old sound card, crappy little speakers and the fact that we tend to pronounce Maureen differently in the UK (i.e. say “More-reen”) meant that what I heard was "Whenever I smell asshole, I think of marine. That's the last sensation before I blacked out; the thick smell of asshole”.

It really, REALLY sounds like Tarma is screaming "FUCK" any time he dies in Metal Slug 3.

I thought that was actually what he was saying given the context actually makes sense.

Streets of Rage 2 when you do forward special with Skate: "Whoop there it is!"

I would also say the chanting in Smash bros for Wii U sounds more muffled than usual. I swear when they were chanting Game and Watch it sounded like "Gay man walks!"

Ape

Banned
In halo reach I wasn't familiar with accents so when the one spartan called Halsey Ma'am I thought he was calling her Mom the whole time until waaay later.

pikmin_trainer

Neo Member
In the Final Fantasy VIII "Eyes on Me" song, I thought " I'm more than the dress and the voice." was "i'm more than the whores and the voice" for the longest time. Like, she was trying to say she was more than a whore and loved Laguna and that kind of thing. It made a lot of sense to me.

Myriadis

Tales of phantasia, there is that healer girl. Every time she heals, she shouts something that sounds like "Meister Eder" to me. Meister Eder was one of the Main characters in the old german childrens Show "Pumuckl".

zeldablue

I have no idea what Odolwa is chanting in Majora's Mask.

But it sounds awesome.
I was told he is speaking Mayan. Someone actually translated it too.

"K'iinam took ool!" = Head will ache and burn.
"Tookik taali!" = Come burn.
"A'alik Beora!" = Dance now.

The more you know. :D

Not really misheard, but the translation of RE5 in German had some funny mistranslation.

There is one scene where someone said "Its a pain in the ass."
They literally translated it as "Das ist ein Schmerz im Arsch."

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
On Star Fox 64 when you start a stage and it says "Good luck"....I always thought it sounded like SIM-BAA

Fallout 3, the first conversation with the Sheriff from Megaton (can't remember his name). At some point he threatens the player saying "I'll fucking end ya", but it clearly sounds like he's saying "I'll fuck a ninja". Good for you, pal!

Top Bottom