• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden things left on videogames

megateto

All the GTA:SA talk has left me wondering what kind of things are left by developers on game discs, features and all that (and I don't mean Easter Eggs): stuff they coded but was cut out at the very last minute but the code was still there on retail games.

Anyone?

quin

I think goldeneye on the N64 had a few levels in it that you could play with an action replay or something like that

Ironclad

If you use a cheat device, you can access the test levels on The Wind Waker. They're various test areas that were used to tweak Link's various actions like jumping and climbing. There are also areas where enemies just keep spawning.

Reilly

I know on the Resident Evil 2 demo, if you used the gameshark you could go to places you weren't suppose to and couldn't access normally. You could also control Dark Tooth in Twisten Metal 2 with the GS.

I think you could also equip the Black materia in FF7 with the GS.

I think there are a ton in FF7 actually.

Talas

Some of the voices for the real unfinished ending of KOTOR2 were there. Some modders are trying to make it work. It was good.

Lee N

Membre
The crocomire in metroid zero mission springs to mind.

1mzm_01.png

human5892

Queen of Denmark
The big one I remember in Goldeneye is the island in the Dam level.

island_01.jpg

Originally, the plan was for players to take a speedboat over to it (if you go on the actual Dam itself, go down to the docks, and use the sniper rifle to zoom out into the distance, you can see it), but the feature was removed from the game. If you used a Game Shark you could walk on the water to get over there, but it was just an empty building and was buggy as hell -- you were practically guaranteed a crash.

EDIT - Here's a link that explains the whole mystery really well.

Reilly said:
I know on the Resident Evil 2 demo, if you used the gameshark you could go to places you weren't suppose to and couldn't access normally.
its been years since I last played it on PS1, but iirc, there was a skeleton key that could open any door.

That + unlimited ammo made the game alot of fun on replays. I could beat the game in like 15 minutes.

Lee N

Membre
The crocomire sprite is left on the cartridge, but there's no way of getting to it without hacking the rom. Also you can't kill it, it just animates but wont do any harm to you. My guess is that it was removed from the game early in the design phase.. but forgotten in the data structure.

Here's a video of it in "action"

vitaflo

Not that this is big, but if you look at sprite dumps of NES games, there are sometimes sprites that do not appear in game. An easy example is Japanese text in American games. Some games have other interesting things hidden.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet. There is a clip of South Park on Tiger Woods 99 for the PS1

There was a "Spirit Of Christmas" South Park video in the first batch of Tiger Woods '99 for the PS One before they were yanked from shelves.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Oh, and of course there's the well-known Minus World in SMB1...so well-known that there's even a Wikipedia entry for it (although it doesn't technically qualify as something intentionally hidden and left on the cart)!

There exists a method to reach World -1 (the Minus World). This level is sometimes claimed to be a myth but it does exist, although it can be difficult to reach. The Minus World is an infinite water level, only accessible through World 1-2, and was not an intentionally designed level but the result of a coding glitch. Once World -1 is reached, it is impossible to escape, and Mario is destined to die by running out of time (assuming he survives the standard water-level obstacles as well). The reason for this is because the pipe at the end of the level leads to the very beginning, instead of dry land, and therefore, the level loops, or repeats itself. The name was created by a glitch, and since it is not a normal level, the name is literally (nothing)-1, creating the effect of -1.

World -1 can be reached if Super Mario uses another glitch to pass through the bricks to the left of the warp zone area, and then enters one of the warp pipes quickly before the "Welcome to Warp Zone" message appears. More "glitch" levels are available, but only through special memory-modifying tools such as the Game Genie.

In 2005, it was claimed that David Victor Gehrke discovered the only known exit to World -1 thus far. It involves running into both a Blooper enemy character and a red fish enemy character at the same time, near the pipe at the end of the level. If this is achieved, Mario will die and restart at the middle of World 1-2. This feat was witnessed by many, but has not yet been videorecorded. It is important to note that no reputable source has acknowledged this, nor has any one been able to repeat this, and it is probably a hoax.

The Minus World in the Japanese Famicom Disk System version of the game is considerably different and has three levels, after which the player is returned to the title screen as though he or she completed the game. This glitch has been fixed in the Super Mario All-Stars remake.

Ranger X

In the first Resident Evil there's items you can have in your inventory that you can't find in the normal game. One of them is kind of a gaz canister. I wonder if it was a gameplay they already thought about back then but they only implement it on the GC remake...

Ranger X

Agent Icebeezy said:
??? ANy info on the net about this?

You have to fly the dodo and actually pass over some mountains (that are supposed to be background only). On the other side of those mountain is the place where they created some small city envirronement for the opening cut-scene. There's no colisions there, you can't walk of whatever land your plane there but it's nice to see.

belgurdo

Banned
With the debug mode in FFVIII you can make
Seifer and Edea
permanent playable characters and hear a tune from the demo version. I also think you can get all of the TT cards this way

Tain

Code:
/*
    BeatMania start-up module
*/

#include "bm_all.h"
#include "sys_addr.h"
#include <libapi.h>

etc

...Beatmania Greatest Hits contained the freaking source code for the Beatmania 5th Mix engine. It was right on the CD; the PSX dummy file was the source code in an lzh archive.

How does this stuff happen?

The original release of Resident Evil 2 on PSX had some content left over from Resident Evil "1.5". There were some graphics you could pull off the disc and convert using a PSX format conversion tool, among them were the character select screen and some other stuff from 1.5 mixed in with the used graphics for RE2. There's probably more on there, but that's all I took the time to find.

FiRez

-The lost robot planet on KoTOR 2
-The flamethrower in Halo Combat Evolved
-The fucking code to play coop over live in H2 (yeah I believe this rumor)

RuGalz

...Beatmania Greatest Hits contained the freaking source code for the Beatmania 5th Mix engine. It was right on the CD; the PSX dummy file was the source code in an lzh archive.
Whoa damn... I wanna see that. :)

Back to topic... Anyone remember the Bloody Roar 3 debug mode fiasco? :)

demi

Teddman said:
If you're a Metroid fan and want to see a TON of videos of hidden stuff, check out this site. Oddly enough, they don't seem to have a video clip of Crocomire in Zero Mission.

http://www.metroid2002.com

A_Lee_N said:
The crocomire sprite is left on the cartridge, but there's no way of getting to it without hacking the rom. Also you can't kill it, it just animates but wont do any harm to you. My guess is that it was removed from the game early in the design phase.. but forgotten in the data structure.

Here's a video of it in "action"

*whistle*

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wasn't Sonic 2 loaded with shreds of un-used content and sprites? Or was that specific to the beta release?

vireland

The TG-16 version of Splatterhouse had a scene with the character at an altar removed by a JMP in the code at the last minute when NEC got cold feet. I think some of the review copies on EEPROMS had it. The scene's still in the production game, just bypassed.

Top Bottom