• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is Skylander '15?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
May 22nd, still no news.
Are we in for a surprise E3 announcement? Maybe some sort of esclusive deal? :eek:

I think you might be overthinking this one.

There's a ton of competition this year. They probably want to spend as much time as possible polishing it up before the debut.

Black Ops and Guitar Hero on the other hand have had very long development cycles, so were ready earlier.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, the exckusivity deal was a joke, or better, a marketing deal that would bring visibility to the game over competition. If the are not announcing it before e3 I think skylander will be showcased by one of the big three. Delaying the unveil until after e3 would be a really big change in strategy

Slermy

I'm dubious of a racer, but having each Skylander unlock parts is a neat way to do it.

In either case, I'm excited for what Vicarious Visions has in store. I've always liked that studio's output.

I'm dubious of a racer, but having each Skylander unlock parts is a neat way to do it.

In either case, I'm excited for what Vicarious Visions has in store. I've always liked that studio's output.

I just read over at DarkSpyro that this is fake. :(

Plot summary

"Kaos has finally Realized the true evil portal master that he is after destroying Eon in a battle. He now having great power, decides he no longer wants to rule Skylands- He wants to destroy it. He has grown to a Giant form and has begun to tear Skylands apart with he bare hands. Spyro, new leader of the Skylanders, has gathered and elite team of Skylanders to explore a new, mysterious part of Skylands -The Rift Isles. A place where all of Skylands connects. The only way to survive the high magical powers of the the Rift Isles is to move faster then it can get to you. And that's why Spyro made an elite team- a team of Racers. Now you must use theses, and your other Skylanders and their powers to navigate the Rift Isles ,and brig Kaos to his knees."

- There are 2 modes in Skylanders Overdrive "Story" and "Overdrive Circuit".
- Overdrive Circuit is a Mario Kart inspired mode.
- You have to upgrade your Karts through out the story, by purchasing upgrades/parts
- Every figure Old and New Unlocks parts.
- Game is set for a September 20th 2015 release
- coming to Wii U, may not be coming to 3DS/Wii
- first in the franchise to feature online play
- Players can race each other online.
- The elite team of Racers is called "Overdrive Omegas" These characters have a Overdrive meter you build up then activate to increase the speed and attack of your character for about 20 seconds. They also provide and advantage during the racing segments of the game. These characters have horrible defense and health stats.
- 20 Overdrive Omegas, 20 Cores

FIRE-

Flare (Overdrive Omega)
Afterburner (Overdrive Omega)
Inferno (Core)
Santa Anna (Core)

TECH-

Jumper Cable (Overdrive Omega)
Power Grim (Overdrive Omega)
Grinder (Core)
Joy Buzzer (Core)

WATER-

Man O War (Overdrive Omega)
Backwash (Overdrive Omega)
Pack Attack (Core)
Lockjaw (Core)

MAGIC-

Stitch Doctor (Overdrive Omega)
Magic 8 (Overdrive Omega)
Lucky Foot (Core)
Alpha Star (Core)

UNDEAD-

Bonecrusher (Overdrive Omega)
Nightcrawler (Overdrive Omega)
Fossilizer (Core)
Chuckles (Core)

LIFE-

Branchout (Overdrive Omega)
Flydra (Overdrive Omega)
Cherry Bomb (Core)
Sporror (Core)

EARTH-

Dust Bunny (Overdrive Omega)
Rampage (Overdrive Omega)
Rock Star (Core)
Cliffhanger (Core)

AIR-

Wings (Overdrive Omega)
Airtime (Overdrive Omega)
Airswine (Core)
Skyshot (Core)

LIGHT-

Sun Block (Overdrive Omega)
Lightspeed (Overdrive Omega)
Projector (Core)
Angler Aura (Core)

DARK-

Darkage (Overdrive Omega)
Shade Raider (Overdrive Omega)
Hattrap (Core)
Night Club (Core)

I've been wondering the same thing. Perhaps it won't be revealed until E3.

I think with Lego Dimensions and now DI3.0 having Star Wars, Activision is making a big mistake waiting this long to release anything. Then even worse, what if they charge for vehicles as a gimmick like they did with the traps? I'll be out for sure, no way I am spending the amount of money that I did with traps and trap masters.

I think with Lego Dimensions and now DI3.0 having Star Wars, Activision is making a big mistake waiting this long to release anything. Then even worse, what if they charge for vehicles as a gimmick like they did with the traps? I'll be out for sure, no way I am spending the amount of money that I did with traps and trap masters.

It's hard to disagree.

I've never bought extra figures for any of those games. They just don't interest me. I feel bad for those who are collectors, though, and want to own them all.

I just play the base game

Ridley327

I don't think anyone was ready for WB to come as hard as they have with LEGO Dimensions. They've done a great job of positioning it as THE toys-to-life game this year, to the point where even guys who aren't into that kind of game are frantically pre-ordering sets and whatnot. Activision has their work cut out for them.

Jigorath

Banned
No way they're skipping this year. Activision is still top dog in the NFC market, taking a year off and letting Warner and Disney get some headway wouldn't be smart.

Rosur

No way they're skipping this year. Activision is still top dog in the NFC market, taking a year off and letting Warner and Disney get some headway wouldn't be smart.

Yea and with Lego's NFC toys coming out they would probably lose their share to that.

Pheno_NLD

Neo Member
I gotta admit, I'm surprised it's taking this long as well. Maybe they're sitting out this year?

No, Activision has a schedule for Skylanders at E3, so there is bound to be some news in june :) Why they take so long to announce the new stuff is weirder though, normally they do that way before E3.

LiamR

Dunno, but the gimmick this year is vehicles. I can tell you that. Maybe I can get a name for it before they announce it.

Edit: the Skylanders Wikia stuff is fake but the gimmick is definitely vehicles. I know that because I am the person who originally put that out there :)

Quentyn

Looks like it is called Skylanders Superchargers.

This year's new Skylanders game will be called Skylanders Superchargers and features vehicles, much like the upcoming LEGO Dimensions, a number of leaks have revealed.

"Was filming some cool stuff for a new Activision game called Skylanders Superchargers this weekend," wrote American motorsports competitor Travis Pastrana in a now deleted Instagram post from earlier this month.

Elsewhere Unseen64 writer Tamaki claims the new game will feature vehicles, which kind of explains why Pastrana is involved.

"The new Skylanders will definitely still have vehicles though. I know that much," he tweeted.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/new_...gers_and_features_vehicles_reports_claim.html

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The other rumor called it "Overdrive", while this one calls it "Superchargers".
Both include vehicles, this time around.
new rumored details:

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/2...ls-on-the-next-iteration-of-skylanders-titled

- vehicles once again confirmed
- named Skylanders: Overdrive.
- made by Vicarious Visions.
- look for the official announcement by June 3rd, if not sooner
- prequel comic is in the works called Skylanders Rift into Overdrive
- prototype figure for one vehicle Skylanders has a Fire element and resembles a mechanical winged serpent.
- vehicle compatible figures do not have a translucent color in the base
- they instead have an indentation on the bottom where they interlock with a peg on the vehicle*
- there are also tire treads incorporated into the base

FdDBkCNl.jpg

The other rumor called it "Overdrive", while this one calls it "Superchargers".
Both include vehicles, this time around.
new rumored details:

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/2...ls-on-the-next-iteration-of-skylanders-titled

- vehicles once again confirmed
- named Skylanders: Overdrive.
- made by Vicarious Visions.
- look for the official announcement by June 3rd, if not sooner
- prequel comic is in the works called Skylanders Rift into Overdrive
- prototype figure for one vehicle Skylanders has a Fire element and resembles a mechanical winged serpent.
- vehicle compatible figures do not have a translucent color in the base
- they instead have an indentation on the bottom where they interlock with a peg on the vehicle*
- there are also tire treads incorporated into the base

FdDBkCNl.jpg

I confirmed on Darkspyro.net that the gonintendo rumor is a fake. The guy that wrote it up is on those forums and he said it was a fan wish list article he made up and it was taken as real.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I confirmed on Darkspyro.net that the gonintendo rumor is a fake. The guy that wrote it up is on those forums and he said it was a fan wish list article he made up and it was taken as real.

thank you for the confirmation!
So, Skylander Overdrive rumor is fake, while the Superchargers one is still waiting to be debunked or confirmed. Both claim vehicles gymmick to be added to the formula, and we should see something official in early June. is that right?

Stage On

Man I hope the vehicles thing is false, Talk about a total jumping the shark moment.

The series is bad enough as it is with the amount of figures it takes to get a full set. Assuming no new elements again then we'd have what? 20 large figures and 20 Core not counting reposes of old figures.

So that's 40 figures before you even factor in any new minis they might want to throw iand the usual Expansion packs. Then add in at least one Vehicle per element and it goes from just being an expensive hobby to outrageous since I'm sure each Vehicle will cost at least as much as a large size figure if not more.

Top Bottom