• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn games in 4K resolution.

Xbudz

I love Sega. Let me just start with that.

I made this thread just to share just how wonderful Sega Saturn is in 4K resolution.
You don't have to agree, but for me- it's pretty awesome to relive some of my favorite Sega Saturn games with this sort of visual clarity.

I'm aware there have been other emulation screenshot threads, but this one is just for Sega Saturn.

If you have the ability to create Sega Saturn screenshots in 4K (or HD), please share them in this thread. I want to admire them.

Enjoy!

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-088_22_52PM.png

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-088_18_53PM.png

EJlPcKa.jpg

NZ2ttGh.jpg

Burning Rangers

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-088_30_00PM.png

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-088_30_39PM.png

Daytona USA

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-088_35_48PM.png

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-088_36_40PM.png

Daytona CCE

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-096_2250PM.png

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-1012_29_00PM.png

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-1012_32_17PM.png

Die Hard Arcade

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-088_54_11PM.png

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-088_53_19PM.jpg

Fighters Megamix

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-089_12_12PM.png

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-089_13_31PM.png

Panzer Dragoon

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-089_27_16PM.jpg

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-089_29_56PM.png

Panzer Dragoon II Zwei

bOmijwI.jpg

1xoaRTq.jpg

ra9eSAC.jpg

HDLvuBX.jpg

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-089_36_57PM.png

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-089_36_14PM.png

Sega Rally

yR6DtSH.jpg

Jl6LD77.jpg

Thunder Force V

QoV4zz2.png

vCfX120.png

Virtua Racing

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-096_20_50PM.png

WYfI6HQ.jpg

Sonic Jam

W3mKWlw.jpg

vM2cVB7.jpg

Christmas Nights

BRsMoPo.jpg

AAC19fY.jpg

pjieSlS.jpg

8YUqEmB.jpg

Wipeout 2097 (XL)

JNX6sl5.jpg

xyqF6RV.jpg

Virtua Fighter Remix

U0jtW8a.jpg

aTAVe4m.jpg

Solar Eclipse

yqrgpOI.png

xVvHZyr.png

Tempest 2000

1uKIGlq.jpg

elnR1IA.jpg

Quake

7SVFYb2.jpg

o3rcNvI.jpg

UChrdfg.jpg

Virtual On

eUlMDAh.jpg

sLHAYh0.jpg

Dead or Alive

oQt5Jwm.jpg

OjVLnsi.jpg

TroXojg.jpg

1nAurOo.jpg

Last Bronx

rKYssQH.jpg

M5MODSW.jpg

uGPewj2.jpg

1Gnkp6C.jpg

DecAthlete

fMk8sJ2.jpg

SYtFX8d.jpg

aeTe978.png

Sega Saturn boot-up and screensaver.

*Note: All pics posted by me were captured in 4K and re-sized to a more natural 4:3 ratio.

ciddative

I'm shocked by VF2. Was it really that bad? Or did it just look better in motion and/or on a CRT? It was stunning at the time...

Comandr

It's cool to see them in that resolution but I feel like it just makes the crappy textures and poly count stand out that much more. At least at a low res they all look like they fit together

jaypah

It's cool to see them in that resolution but I feel like it just makes the crappy textures and poly count stand out that much more. At least at a low res they all look like they fit together

But that's what makes them dope. To see the limited resources that they had to work with at a resolution where it's all on the table is great.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Still love my Saturn. Got some rare titles too. Don't see too many copies of Last Bronx or Dark Saviour out in the wild but I have them both.

Xbudz

What are you using for emulation? Last I looked into it the Saturn options were pretty limited or basic.

I'm using Yabause 0.9.14 with the built-in, but optional Open GL graphics plugin at a resolution of 4096 x 2160

I'm shocked by VF2. Was it really that bad? Or did it just look better in motion and/or on a CRT? It was stunning at the time...

Those screens are from Fighters Megamix, not VF2.
Fighters Megamix always looked visually rough compared to VF2.

Xbudz

Oh god, stop stretching the poor screens.

Other than the aspect ratio thing, I really love this stuff.

ahh the screen is stretched, can somebody put it in 4:3? =) damn ^ beat me to it

Ah yes, I do apologize for the aspect ratio.
I just wanted to enjoy the full panel of my 4K screen , so I cranked it up while using my nostalgia vision to compensate for the stretching.

Gaogaogao

the saturn gave you just enough for your imagination to fill in the blanks and smooth out the image. the 4k doesnt do much about those textures...

Requeim

It looks clean, but I don't think that entire generation holds up particularly well, no matter what your computer can throw at it. The generation after is when things in my opinion started looking good enough, that it can hold up even today and probably forever (like most PS2 games with a boost from PCSX2 for example).

Are you using the Windows build ?

I checked Yabause website and the binaries there are pretty old :
captureivp3r.png

I might give it a shot later today but I'm disappointed there isn't more activity around the project. Also Retroarch shaders on top of that would have been awesome but I don't think there is a core for Yabause yet.

EDIT : Guys, we get it. The aspect ratio is wrong

Xbudz

captureivp3r.png

I might give it a shot later today but I'm disappointed there isn't more activity around the project. Also Retroarch shaders on top of that would have been awesome but I don't think there is a core for Yabause yet.

Yep, using Yabause 0.9.14 on Windows 10, switched graphics plugin to Open GL and manually set resolution to my max.

Pif

Banned
Why panzer dragon II Zwei?

Zwei = 2

For germans this sounds really dumb. Panzer Dragon 2 Two. Wtf.

Daytona looks timeless, could play it right now.

B_Signal

captureivp3r.png

EDIT : Guys, we get it. The aspect ratio is wrong

is that a Dreamcast Saturn emulator? Does it work alright?

Cynn

Please upload some more screens in proper 4:3. I'd love to see more Burning Rangers screens in 4K.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Not 4K but not stretched either (running in Zwei's widescreen mode).

7IDYnca.png

Software rendering in SSF.

wE057Zp.png

Hardware rendering in Yabause.

Keep in mind, most games don't run very well in Yabause yet. Zwei is one of the few exceptions.

jobrro

Ah helped uncover some good memories of Burning Rangers, Daytona games and VF2 on Saturn. Wonder if indie games will ever move on from NES era onto the 32/64 bit Consoles. Some of these shots prove even pairing pretty simple models and textures with high IQ can be aesthetically pleasing.

liquidtmd

Banned
I love Saturn

I love this thread idea

However...Saturn Daytona and Daytona CCE will always look like ass

Always.

Zwei looks good though so what do I know

gelf

How well are these actually playing in Yabause. I found way to many issues trying to play most games in OpenGL mode. And for goodness sake play them in 4:3 unless its one of the few that had a wide-screen option like Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

cireza

Banned
I will stick to my CRT, much better picture than these. When you upres games that old, you get inconsistencies everywhere and the end result is not of my taste.

And you lose all the specifics of a CRT display of course.

Top Bottom