• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did "comfy" become an acceptable word?

Status
Not open for further replies.
English is an ever morphing language,
if people say a word long enough, it becomes a word

comfy is here to stay,

I even used it yesterday

SeriousApes

When I was a kid, "comfy" meant warm and cozy, whereas "comfortable" was somewhat cooler in temperature, to be used in reference to the other side of the pillow during the summer. Never wanted to be comfy on a hot day! I still kind of follow that connotation.

johnsmith

remember me
No. Comfortable is an awful word. Say it out loud. It's too long, and awkward. Comfy is short and sweet, easy to say.

goo goo gah gah
that's how you guys sound right now

And this is what you sound like
qtvyKnM.jpg

besada

Banned
1829. It's in the OED, so I'm p. comfy using it. The idea that it's baby talk, though, is just a little bizarre. It's been in use for more than a hundred years as a common, colloquial shortening of comfortable, in literature and commercial periodicals.

If you're an adult you can capitalize the first letter of the first word in sentences.

If you're a child you can do that too. It's not exclusive to adults.

Or are you trying to imply that because someone didn't capitalise a word correctly, they're not an adult?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
How do you feel about this OP

Comfy+and+lazy_571007_4779197.png

Cyan

Banned
1829. It's in the OED, so I'm p. comfy using it. The idea that it's baby talk, though, is just a little bizarre. It's been in use for more than a hundred years as a common, colloquial shortening of comfortable, in literature and commercial periodicals.

"Colloquial" is just grownup talk for "baby talk," lbr.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Wait is ryuelli referring to people who make complaint threads as babies of the commenters?

He's replying to the OP, who called people who use "comfy" babies for using an informal word, and pointing out that the OP's own inability/refusal to use proper capitalization is just as juvenile a language convention, if the OP insists on playing that game.

Ape

Banned
Seriously, it's garbage baby speak. If you are an adult you can say comfortable.

Dude you can't word police people. I say wha t I want when I want. In sure you do things that other purple don't like. Get off your high horse and take the stick out of it as.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
He's replying to the OP, who called people who use "comfy" babies for using an informal word, and pointing out that the OP's own inability/refusal to use proper capitalization is just as juvenile a language convention, if the OP insists on playing that game.

listen
my problem with the word comfy isn't that it's informal, it's the fact that it is a word for babies

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Dude you can't word police people. I say wha t I want when I want. In sure you do things that other purple don't like. Get off your high horse and take the stick out of it as.

Can I grammar police you though?

I mean yikes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom