• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSTV & Fightstick compatibility

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Alpha 3 MAX PSP is like $2 on the PSN store and I'd like to play some SF before V drops.

Anyone know if PS4 arcade sticks work on the PSTV? I can't find any good info online - most people tried PS3 sticks which do NOT work on PSTV.

Thanks!

I have a madcatz te2 ps4 stick and already own Alpha 3 MAX. I'll download it and give it a shot a little later today if nobody already knows.

I don't know. I remember not being able to with Ps2 games on the PS3, 60 GB, but not having problems with the PsOne games. I think it has to due to the home buttons.

Qanba Q4RAF / PS3 Mode
Navigating the PSTV OS works identical to a DS3, no issues.
Alpha 3 MAX works! Default button mapping looks good and inputs can be remapped.

Mad Catz USFIV TE2 / PS3 or PS4 Mode
Lights for the lock/unlock and LS, DP, RS light up but the controller 1-4 lights do not turn on, which if I recall correctly is normally a sign that the stick is getting power but no driver is kicking in.

So the good news is some PS3 sticks work.
Bad news is Madcatz does not appear to be among them.

LegatoB

Qanba Q4RAF / PS3 Mode
Alpha 3 MAX works! Default button mapping looks good and inputs can be remapped.

Madcatz USFIV TE2 / PS3 or PS4 Mode
Lights for the lock/unlock and LS, DP, RS light up but the controller 1-4 lights do not turn on, which if I recall correctly is normally a sign that the stick is getting power but no driver is kicking in.

I suspect the Qanba works because it specifically pretends to be a Dualshock 3, rather than a generic USB/PS3 controller. Qanba can do that because they're unlicensed; Madcatz cannot. Thanks a lot, Sony, for blocking non Dualshocks on the Vita TV.

I suspect the Qanba works because it specifically pretends to be a Dualshock 3, rather than a generic USB/PS3 controller. Qanba can do that because they're unlicensed; Madcatz cannot. Thanks a lot, Sony, for blocking non Dualshocks on the Vita TV.

Yep, sounds right. Might be something to keep in mind for the stick builders. Not sure what the latest on input board tech is but I suspect some might work depending on how the board manufacturer goes about it.

Cleve

Qanba Q4RAF / PS3 Mode

Thanks, that's really good to know. I just assumed my quanba wouldn't work on it.

_jnup

Qanba Q4RAF / PS3 Mode

Had no idea the Q4RAF works on the PSTV. Looks like I'll be using the PSTV again.

Rich!

Wrong, certain wired PS3-like controllers work. I use this adapter which works just fine with a number of inputs. Though my only issue with it is that leaving it plugged in will intermittently wake up the PSTV from sleep mode.

Oh wow, I never knew this.

I know what I'll be tinkering with tonight then, as my pstv is still hacked.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Rad.

The thought just occurred to me that you could build a custom stick with a PSTV housed inside the casing with the HDMI/power ports exposed for a complete package in a single box, or some other Ben Heck style mad scientist experiments.
wouldnt this be 1 player only? anyway, thats a lot of work for alpha 3 max lol.

Piccoro

wouldnt this be 1 player only? anyway, thats a lot of work for alpha 3 max lol.
Why not? Max is the best version of Alpha 3 out there.
And it also probably works online, by using a Vita/PSP + PS3 + AdHoc Party app...
Someday I'll try my HRAP 4 on the VitaTV, but I guess that won't work.

Why not? Max is the best version of Alpha 3 out there.
And it also probably works online, by using a Vita/PSP + PS3 + AdHoc Party app...
Someday I'll try my HRAP 4 on the VitaTV, but I guess that won't work.
None of the HORIs work. Even the sticks with PS3 and PS4 modes.

Nope. USB functionality isn't there for anything other than DS3/4 syncing.

For the record, this is wrong; many third party wired only game controllers work with the PlayStation TV.

Also, great question - I never even considered a fight stick + a PlayStation TV but now it seems like an obvious "leap."

I have a padhacked sixaxis in a wireles arcade stick. This setup will work on Playstation TV if you don't mind wireless.

As ExitPlanetDust mentioned the iPin works with PS2 controllers for a wired connection. I wish those adapters weren't OOP.

I've never bothered trying, but have always wondered if a USB hub would work with the PSTV.

haha, ok. ok. You've got my curiosity, and I just happen to have an externally powered USB hub laying around, which if it is going to work I expect the external power would be necessary. AND I just so happen to have 2 Qanba sticks because apparently I have become mad scientist. Soo... Will report my findings later tonight.

As a quick aside, I just realized that the 1-4 player lights on my TE2 flat appear to be broken because they don't light up on my PS4 either so I may give it a more rigorous second attempt on the PSTV since it is possible it may have worked and I gave up too quickly. <<< edit: I messed with it a bunch. Still a no go.

edit: oh, I suppose the game itself would need to support multiple controllers. I doubt PSP games would, but I'll check just in case. I know a couple of Vita games do so I'll try and track down which and hopefully I own some. If anyone knows off the top of their head that would be helpful.

edit2: haha, fuck. It works. It totally works. The OS recognizes both controllers and assigns them player 1 and player 2. More to come..

Excuse the double post but I think the results deserve their own look.

Hardware
2 Qanba arcade sticks (PS3 mode)
4 Port externally powered USB hub

I am using a hub that I have used for a while with my PS3 since I know it works there and had the best chances of working. No idea if the external power is necessary as I don't have any other hub to try but I suspect it is needed.

OS - Works
The Vita OS handles the hub and arcade sticks flawlessly. Considering Qanba's hardware acts like it is a DS3 this isn't too surprising. What is surprising is that the PSTV/OS is smart enough to assign each stick a unique hardware profile (or whatever it does under the hood) so that both are recognized. I suspect this comes for free with however they are doing it because the idea that anyone at Sony would have coded and tested such a stupidly crazy setup seems too far fetched. But it works, crazy as it is. BUT...it doesn't work perfectly.

PSX/PSP - Fails
The emulators kind of work but are extremely fidgety. On boot for games the controllers stay recognized and everything looks good, but the moment you press an input and the game is far enough in its boot sequence (at the title screen, for example) things go sideways. Both controllers disconnect, and then one will reconnect as Player 3. You can fiddle with the menu and reassign back to player 1, but I haven't been able to get both working at the same time using a usb hub.

Vita - Works!
The only Vita game I could find that supports multiple controllers on PSTV, that I also own, is Metal Slug 3. It works flawlessly! No problems with controller resyncs, weird cross talk, or anything. Game boots and just goes using both arcade sticks through the usb hub. What a weird, dumb thing to discover, but hey, kind of cool!

I suspect all Vita games that support 2 controllers will work considering the problem above seems to be specifically with the PSP/PSX emulators and not the OS itself. I only have the 1 test subject though. If you want a really ridiculous way to play Metal Slug 3, and probably others, in a super tiny package with full arcade sticks then uh.... I guess you are covered?

If you'd like to see the madness here you go: https://vine.co/v/iv0rL9m6hxt

dity

haha, ok. ok. You've got my curiosity, and I just happen to have an externally powered USB hub laying around, which if it is going to work I expect the external power would be necessary. AND I just so happen to have 2 Qanba sticks because apparently I have become mad scientist. Soo... Will report my findings later tonight.

As a quick aside, I just realized that the 1-4 player lights on my TE2 flat appear to be broken because they don't light up on my PS4 either so I may give it a more rigorous second attempt on the PSTV since it is possible it may have worked and I gave up too quickly. <<< edit: I messed with it a bunch. Still a no go.

edit: oh, I suppose the game itself would need to support multiple controllers. I doubt PSP games would, but I'll check just in case. I know a couple of Vita games do so I'll try and track down which and hopefully I own some. If anyone knows off the top of their head that would be helpful.

edit2: haha, fuck. It works. It totally works. The OS recognizes both controllers and assigns them player 1 and player 2. More to come..

Holy shit.

Why does the PSTV have all this latent potential just sitting there?

mattciq

Neo Member
Is it possible that Qanba Q4 support was patched out of PS TV?

I recently picked up a Q4 and a PS TV (again) in hopes that I could play some PSP games with it.

The stick doesn't seem to be recognized, even in PS3/PC mode. It looks like other people had success a few months ago but I updated the PS TV when I set it up.

Am I doing something wrong here? Should it be possible to do 2 players (stick and wireless PS3/4 control)?

Top Bottom