• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stephen Dillane on his experience with GoT:

“I am not regretting to have done Game of Thrones, but I have nothing to say about it. I didn’t understand nor the show nor its success when I was part of it.

The experience was very strange, I wasn’t affected by it. In order to like a role, I need to be interested in it, and that wasn’t really the case with Game of Thrones. I was a bit overwelmed by the events.” […] Why, in this case, did he accept the role? After a long and exasperated silence, he answers “Between other things, for the money”.

Literally the perfect Stannis.

mantidor

I honestly feel he is not alone.

It's almost like the show got a cast of actors it didn't deserve in some way, the casting was inspired, for sure, and with that budget many couldn't refuse.

Iksenpets

Banned

I feel like Dillane's active disdain for the character he was playing was a big part of what made him so good in the role. Stannis is supposed to be a guy who rubs everyone the wrong way even in moments where he's doing the right thing, and Dillane played it like even Stannis was bothered by Stannis.

Also, I bought the season 5 bluray today and I feel bad about myself. Went with Martell cover, because who wants Boltons.

Tiktaalik

I got a chuckle out of this

Speaking of which, for those that followed Grantland's GoT coverage, Bill Simmons' new site (The Ringer) announced the hiring of Jason Concepcion this morning, who did the Ask the Maester pieces for Grantland and was on the podcasts with Andy and Chris discussing the show. Looks like they'll have the gang together this year as well.

Great news. The "Ask the Maester" column was one of my favourite GoT things on the internet.

Moff

Unfortunately, due to needing to name the threads for book and non-book readers, there isn't room for subtitles.

can't we just name our thread:
*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Tits and Dragons |OT| - Season 6

I mean Mcshane is so on point, there is just not way to mistake it for anything else

Tacitus_

What should I watch from S5 to get up to speed? I kinda got bored watching it and never finished as I'd already read the books and knew the rough outline.

Speevy

Banned
tumblr_m4pu0gRCOd1qa5csdo1_500.gif

Speevy

Banned
"Mr. Dillane, thank you for coming. You can begin whenever you're ready."

"Whatever. I don't care."

"You've got the part!"

Sotha Sil

The full Dillane interview (in French) is incredible.

Both candid and dry, he set the tone at the beginning of the interview, asking with a grimace: "Do you really want to bring up my personal life?". When we tried, with many precautions, to ask him about his personality, he was clearly miffed: "That's one unbelievably stupid question".

Forkball

Regardless of what we all think of Stannis' story in the show, Dillane played the part perfectly. He's a guy I would like to have a beer with in real life, but I would then realize he would in no way want to meet me and it would be best if I kept my distance.

Moff

I mean he must have at least enjoyed his "romantic" scenes with carice van houten?
although stannis would probably not have either, he just did his duty

Turin

Banned
First McShane with "tits and dragons" and now these comments from Dillane.

dhMeAzK.gif

Charles Dance actually seemed to enjoy his time with the show from what I can tell.

bengraven

Explains why there are some disconnects in his acting and possibly why they didn't give him more exposure over the years.

"This Stannis scene would really flesh the character out and fans want to see more of him."

"Don't give a shit. Whatever, fuck it..."

"er...okay, well you can...oh fuck I'm talking to the back of his head. Going, going, gone. Well now what do we do?"

"Yara and some dogs?"

"Fuck why not..."

For all the critical praise the series gets, a lot of the actors don't care one bit about it. It's not high art, but I wonder if the fantasy stigma still plays a role.

bengraven

For all the critical praise the series gets, a lot of the actors don't care one bit about it. It's not high art, but I wonder if the fantasy stigma still plays a role.

I think so. I think there's almost a feeling of "I've been chosen because I'm a quality actor and then I saw the source material and it's basically teenage dungeons and dragons bullshit - I could have been doing Shakespeare".

Chuckie

I think so. I think there's almost a feeling of "I've been chosen because I'm a quality actor and then I saw the source material and it's basically teenage dungeons and dragons bullshit - I could have been doing Shakespeare".

I doubt that. McShane played Blackbeard in PotC and Stannis played in that shite King Arthur movie. So it's not like they haven't done it before.

"Everyone keeps asking me about fucking leeches while my career-defining role as the alcoholic stepfather of two troubled youngsters in an Irish independent movie goes unnoticed."

Dillane always delivers, that's just beautiful. (I can't wait for season two of The Tunnel.) Between him and Ian McShane, they've made my week. They need a sitcom together, where they are just two grumpy middle-aged guys delivering the snark. They were both fantastic together in 44 Inch Chest, though admittedly wasn't the greatest of films/plays/whatever-the-fuck-it-was.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So that's why Stephen Dillane never appeared in interviews... Those were so weird: they would do a whole behind-the-scenes thing about the Blackwater episode in Season 2 where they would talk to all the main cast members, except him. Instead, they would interview his stunt double lol.

What should I watch from S5 to get up to speed? I kinda got bored watching it and never finished as I'd already read the books and knew the rough outline.

Just watch it all, and treat it as a comedy it will get you through. Although the episode Hardhome, which I think is #8, is actually really good and worth a watch at least.

Tacitus_

Just watch it all. You should suffer like the rest of us.

Just watch it all, and treat it as a comedy it will get you through. Although the episode Hardhome, which I think is #8, is actually really good and worth a watch at least.

You guys aren't helping!

From what I've gathered is that the show picks up during the end and that the Sand Snakes have glorious tits. Anything else that's notable?

Lothar

Banned
You guys aren't helping!

From what I've gathered is that the show picks up during the end and that the Sand Snakes have glorious tits. Anything else that's notable?

Hardhome may be the best episode of the entire series. (Episode 7). All the rest of season 5 is pretty bad, unfortunately. The finale might be my least favorite episode. All of it was rushed and unsatisfying.

You guys aren't helping!

Nothing makes sense. Just realize that. Character motivations, action scenes, plot twists. Absolutely none of it is logical, or even remotely understandable. Things just happen because. Stannis does have some boss scenes though, it's just ruined by the end of the season because the writers are hacks.

You guys aren't helping!

Hardhome, and the aforementioned tits are about the only thing. Well those and a certain Emmy award winning line from the final episode uttered by that particular Sand Snake.

Tacitus_

Nothing makes sense. Just realize that. Character motivations, action scenes, plot twists. Absolutely none of it is logical, or even remotely understandable. Things just happen because. Stannis does have some boss scenes though, it's just ruined by the end of the season because the writers are hacks.

Yeah, apparently he strayed a bit from his book position of "no burnings, pray harder"

:|

Massa

Yeah, apparently he strayed a bit from his book position of "no burnings, pray harder"

:|

His book character definitely burned a lot of people. "no burnings, pray harder" is just a phase GRRM's putting him through so it stings even harder when he goes back to burnings.

NeoGiff

His book character definitely burned a lot of people. "no burnings, pray harder" is just a phase GRRM's putting him through so it stings even harder when he goes back to burnings.

Thanks for spoiling, George. Now get off GAF and finish your book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom