• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of Gods and Men [Mafia] | Ambrosia In Front Of Me

*Splinter

Reactions. How do people answer the question and what can you deduce from that. Are they overly defensive? Are they dismissive? Do they not respond?
Sometimes this too. For example Sophia never responded to my question, which doesn't go unnoticed.

But mostly it's an antagonistic device

Okay while I've got a minute, I've been reading the posts and the only one that stands out to me as particularly fishy is Seath.

I mean, there have been other suspicious posts, calling others out right off the bat, but Seath, I have to ask, why so many oddly specific assumptions and questions about the nature of the game? They're just...very odd, and very grandiose for a game that's still on day one.

Seath was weird for me, but then I thought, Wasn't he Conway Stern in Archer? lol

So from the way he played that(only game I've had with him), I assume he is like the blarg type?

From what I've seen of Seath in past games, he's always fluffy day 1. The mechanics speculation stuff is more than his day 1 contributions in the last few games I've seen him play.

Also, still think Zipped's first two posts were weird, and I took note of the fact that he didn't respond to my vote. But he gave some helpful analyst afterwords, so that's a null read for now.

Unvote

I didn't respond to your vote because I assumed it was an anti metagaming vote. I understood it, everyone plays day 1 differently. My first two posts I assumed were pretty clear. I go into each game with a few assumptions that I have to be extra cautious about, a few helpful ways for myself to improve my enjoyment of day 1, and generally improve my gameplay.

Voting against inactivity on day 1, it's always an easy vote, but almost never works out for town. I'll do it anyway because I don't like how he came in and drive-by voted. Usually when you vote RNG you are trying to generate conversation. Lone_prodigy asked for conversation but hasn't been back to contribute.

So a vote on lone_prodigy makes sense right now.

Other observations:

Darryl asking about character names, a little weird especially on day 1. It looks like it was in response to flatearthpandas. Which in turn was from the ridiculous Gorlak "breadcrumb assumption" of a daryll post. Probably means nothing, but the whole exchange was weird. With daryll sounding vanilla, Gorlak sounding a bit ridiculous and flatearthpandas making it up as he goes along.

*splinter, is doing a pretty good job at ball rolling, but my great and worthy opponent is very good at appearing town.

Crimsonfist is doing about the same, just without the vote throwing around (as far as I can tell he has just voted for L_P), also is very good at appearing town.

Day 1 is a crap shoot and we will just end up lynching our doctor anyways so there is that as well

Kevyt

I get the impression that Seath seems to know more than what is actually going on, and I don't like it one bit.

All I'm doing is just speculating though. We don't know much about the nature of these gods, and how that effects the meta of the game - so trying to understand it is helpful in my opinion.

Sloth-man, could you open your thoughts a bit for me? You seem very opposed to the idea that Preposterous would be nothing but a super-scum at the start. Do you really think that there would be a recruitable in addition to that? Your thoughts on the neutral(s) seem contradictory to me too, just how many do you think there are?

I think that if the gods are neutral then that means there are three. Possibly. That would mean that the god-slayer is neutral too. However, I'm wondering what would the winning conditions for the gods be? Kill the other god? Maybe... I don't know.

The mechanics speculation stuff is more than his day 1 contributions in the last few games I've seen him play.

I am deeply offended.

Kevyt

Also, I hope you all realize that two players are gods. They cannot be day voted (lynched).

What happens when we run into one of them and they have majority votes? Does no one get lynched for the day? The second player with the most votes gets lynched? Do we receive a notification by the game runners that said player is a god and therefore cannot be lynched?, (well unlikely that their role would be revealed but it could happen) ???

This has big implications.

*Splinter

Also, I hope you all realize that two players are gods. They cannot be day voted (lynched).

What happens when we run into one of them and they have majority votes? Does no one get lynched for the day? The second player with the most votes gets lynched? Do we receive a notification by the game runners that said player is a god and therefore cannot be lynched?, ???

We don't know, and ynnny isn't saying

What happens when we run into one of them and they have majority votes? Does no one get lynched for the day? The second player with the most votes gets lynched? Do we receive a notification by the game runners that said player is a god and therefore cannot be lynched?, (well unlikely that their role would be revealed but it could happen) ???

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199601910&postcount=107

So presumably something will happen if we try to lynch a God.

*Splinter

Oh hey Splint! I already said what I thought about the gods and I see that similar thoughts had been repeated as discussion for no apparent reason. But if you're wondering who I feel is suspicious, then look no further than yourself! I really don't care for your public asking of every single little game rule, including the win conditions, feels slightly disingenuous. You just seem extremely jittery (maybe you're excited to play idk). But other than that whether or not the god of decay needs to die or not is really not of great importance when the followers are still alive, not to mention the fact we are still in day 1.
The questions I asked had all been speculated on several times. There was no reason not to ask the mods even though it was unlikely to get an answer. If we DID get an answer, that would cut out a lot of needless speculation.

For the rest of your post I can see where you're coming from, fair enough. Anyone else?

Kyanrute

I am entertaining the idea that voting to lynch a god equal to one's alignment would backfire in some way. Pure speculation of course, but hey, gods like to punish mortals for disobeying.

Kyanrute

Okay. I'll believe you. You're not scum. I'm not scum. Who do you think is scum?

/hug

The followers of Persistence, of course. I dunno, I read through the tread again and it hurt my brain. Anything could mean anything. Will have to play the exclusion game and start dropping candidates first and see if that helps. For the record I find Seath's speculation about the million possible neutrals interesting, but not necessarily scummy.

Kyanrute

I am entertaining the idea that voting to lynch a god equal to one's alignment would backfire in some way. Pure speculation of course, but hey, gods like to punish mortals for disobeying.

I am no longer entertaining this because this would be stupid as fuck as it would function as a weird form of cop. Might be my cop hate speaking though.

Sophia

Let's open the box of pandora:

Vote: No Lynch

You want Pandora's box open? You got it. Lets talk about a subject I've been looking at for awhile now.

Vote: Gorlak

Lets talk about you

I think you're Peripserosian coasting scum, Gorlak.

You've been looking for easy targets. Such as post #91 where you targeted the obvious with Giant Panda's post. Or post #99 when you called out Splinter.

You push flimsy and weird votes, such as in post #101 where you targeted Splinter and then immediately switched your vote to Darryl at #103.

You jokingly look for pointless breadcrums in post #108. Pick out obvious theme speculation to comment on in #114. And then after looking for breadcrums you comment on the town breadcrumming in #132

You point out meta gaming commentary at #129, presumably as a "joke" too, right?

Your behavior is weirdly antagonistic in #141 and #142.

You target obvious and easy picking targets for scum to target, such as fengshuifever in post #153 and #160. Or in post #180 where you target people who haven't replied yet, like WhereAreMahDragonz. Another easy picking for scum to appear active with.

And of course there's post #166 where your seem to miss some obvious details.

Your only real read post is #190, and it's full of pretty safe reads and poor attempts at humor that don't fill me with confidence.

You want to talk about hidden knowledge? Fine. I'll bring all mine out in the open. You're probably baiting me for a reaction, but whatever. You're scum.

So.... what do you think about that? C'mon Gor, the tigers are play to~night!

nevermissagamehtq77.jpg

... and I never miss a game.

Sophia

Also, while I'm calling people out....

Day 1 is a crap shoot and we will just end up lynching our doctor anyways so there is that as well

I am admittedly town reading you slightly, but screw off. Seriously. Day 1 doesn't have to be a crap shoot. It can be pretty valuable for later phases to see how people reacted. If you actually believe that, then that's sad. :\

The questions I asked had all been speculated on several times. There was no reason not to ask the mods even though it was unlikely to get an answer. If we DID get an answer, that would cut out a lot of needless speculation.

For the rest of your post I can see where you're coming from, fair enough. Anyone else?
I just feel that those sort of questions were left purposefully ambiguous, gods weren't stated as being part of the game until the beginning of day one. Why bother to hide the info on gods if they would reveal all the secrets if asked anyway? I feel there are some questions that are some questions that would be answered, day length or Kark math. But integral mechanics in a closed set-up? Nah. As I said, it just feels disingenuous.

Also, while I'm calling people out....

I am admittedly town reading you slightly, but screw off. Seriously. Day 1 doesn't have to be a crap shoot. It can be pretty valuable for later phases to see how people reacted. If you actually believe that, then that's sad. :\

I never said that, I said day 1 is a crap shoot, which it is. We can draw conclusions on the posts within the day but largely we are going with our gut today. I said nothing about how important it can be in future days, or any of the other points you made.

I do like your case against Gorlak though, and the robocop reference...

You want Pandora's box open? You got it. Lets talk about a subject I've been looking at for awhile now.

Vote: Gorlak

Lets talk about you

I think you're Peripserosian coasting scum, Gorlak.

Not sure I'd call the second highest poster "coasting." He's not exactly been flying under the radar, or trying to.

Sophia

I never said that, I said day 1 is a crap shoot, which it is. We can draw conclusions on the posts within the day but largely we are going with our gut today. I said nothing about how important it can be in future days, or any of the other points you made.

I do like your case against Gorlak though, and the robocop reference...

Right. Again, I disagree that it has to be a crap shoot. It's the day when we all get our first impressions in. It's the day where we get our initial reads together. These are important. Gorlak there? I had him as a town read until I sat down and actually looked at my notes and examined his posts. That's not a crap shot. That's information we can use. Both now, and later.

I'm going to make the most of this day, because if I get lynched or night killed? My actions here will speak for me on future days.

Sophia

Not sure I'd call the second highest poster "coasting." He's not exactly been flying under the radar, or trying to.

My apologizes, we might be defining coasting differently, then. When I use the term, I mean people who are flying under the radar by trying to go for safe reads, easy pokes, singling out people who they think won't target them back with negative reciprocity. Not by posting count. Although I certainly have not forgotten about them either.

*Splinter

My apologizes, we might be defining coasting differently, then. When I use the term, I mean people who are flying under the radar by trying to go for safe reads, easy pokes, singling out people who they think won't target them back with negative reciprocity. Not by posting count. Although I certainly have not forgotten about them either.
Well he must have expected some response when he targeted me, but apart from that I generally agree with you. I've had my eye on Gorlak ever since he backed off of me for no reason. At first it sounded like a sarcastic backing off but since then he's never revisited. (It's not like I did anything to convince him either).

Darryl

Banned
To lend credence to your eventual claim. It may be important for the rest of town to believe you - such as in lylo.

Really there are town and scum benefits to breadcrumbing, a breadcrumb on its own doesn't really do anything though (in fact it's already a failure if it's been spotted).

This conversation is boring and pointless and I find it interesting that Darryl is letting it play out.

You're seriously injecting yourself into someone else's line of questioning and then wondering afterwards what the point is and why it was so boring.

This is a game about men. Town PRs are likely "Blacksmith" or "Doctor". So when people come around acting all ignorant about that it and instead are expecting people to have elaborate names and breadcrumbs, it makes me wonder where they're coming from and what they know. The two scenarios are that they're ordinary villagers who haven't read the flavor well, or that they're scum and scum are all named after characters themselves. There's been games before where only scum had character names.

Kyanrute

No lynch is an interesting idea in the sense that there might be unknown downsides for a random lynch, more than just the usual ones. What happens if we hit a god? What happens if we reveal a god and they somehow die? If you agree with the idea that day one lynch is done on a mostly random basis, you would argue then that the chance to hit a scum is less likely than hitting a town. And if you are hitting a town fella, you just might kill the doctor or any other pr.

But I think the trade is still absolutely worth it. It seems very foolish to go for a no lynch, fearing the unknown. Day one mislynch should never make the game unwinnable, so blood there should be.

*Splinter

No lynch is an interesting idea in the sense that there might be unknown downsides for a random lynch, more than just the usual ones. What happens if we hit a god? What happens if we reveal a god and they somehow die? If you agree with the idea that day one lynch is done on a mostly random basis, you would argue then that the chance to hit a scum is less likely than hitting a town. And if you are hitting a town fella, you just might kill the doctor or any other pr.

But I think the trade is still absolutely worth it. It seems very foolish to go for a no lynch, fearing the unknown. Day one mislynch should never make the game unwinnable, so blood there should be.
Even if it's better, it's boring as fuck.

Darryl

Banned
??

I'm not telling you whether I have a PR or not

VOTE: Darryl

Wtf Darryl what is this if not PR fishing?

Tbh I find overbearing "no one reveal role.. anything!" more scummy than town. First, it never helps. I obviously have a town PR. Second, most town players have the curiosity for more information because we have less to work with and it's frustrating. Scum are the ones who have the most information, so it's easier for them to tell others to stfu. It's overall a role madness game and minor pokes aren't going to significantly change the flow of the game.

Tbh I find overbearing "no one reveal role.. anything!" more scummy than town. First, it never helps. I obviously have a town PR. Second, most town players have the curiosity for more information because we have less to work with and it's frustrating. Scum are the ones who have the most information, so it's easier for them to tell others to stfu. It's overall a role madness game and minor pokes aren't going to significantly change the flow of the game.

That's until town PRs start dropping on a nightly basis. I understand your point but the gap between town and mafia never really reduces. We gain more info but mafia gets whatever info they had to begin with along with whatever town PRs decide to share. If you would ever want to share info, it shouldn't ever be on Day 1 though.

Also, as an aside I just want to say I'm extremely unlikely to change my vote due to day end role claims. I'd rather not set a precedent of allowing last minute nonsense to derail and swing a vote.

*Splinter

Clarification needed, did I write things in a too confusing manner or are you misreading the post? Because I want to kill and you seem to think I said otherwise. Perhaps I should be more clear anyway.
No I know you agree with that. It was just agreeing with / reinforcing your argument.

Sorry that wasn't clear

*Splinter

Yeah, and this doesn't justify asking for role names out of nowhere on D1. Your actual point (and your own PR status) wasn't at all obvious until your more recent post about "Blacksmiths" and "Doctors" - and even then I had to double check the fluff before I got it - so excuse me for coming to the wrong conclusions earlier.

Darryl

Banned
Yeah, and this doesn't justify asking for role names out of nowhere on D1. Your actual point (and your own PR status) wasn't at all obvious until your more recent post about "Blacksmiths" and "Doctors" - and even then I had to double check the fluff before I got it - so excuse me for coming to the wrong conclusions earlier.

If you just let me press my point without deflating it, the point would've been more obvious. Instead your over eager desire to show concern obviously had to take precedence over my attempt to find scum. Scum always makes this mistake when defending "potential PRs". Scum has PRs and usually at a higher rate than town does.

Gorlak

Banned
Oh... hey Sophia. You're barking at the wrong tree here.

Splinter, Darryl and Kyanrute barely qualify as "easy" targets regardless of how "flimsy" or "weird" you find my first two votes.

The breadcrumb post sparked discussion, which I didn't expect. Darryl was baiting obviously. Discussion shifted from the ridiculous jesus approach to "why in the world would you point breadcrumbs out?!!" (which is why it sounded more serious crimson) Crumbs are dumb and rarely benefit town. So fuck it, I'll point them out.
Apart from Splinter nobody else said how they react to potential breadcrumbs btw.

Sophia, do you really thing I try to appear active? #190 is my read post? Even full of pretty safe reads? Could you please elaborate? ... Apart from saying you seem to have more knowledge than average joe there is nothing read-ish in that post.

Gorlak

Banned
Hm, Seath and Zipped jump right at it.

And Crimson somewhat defends me...? Why?

What? Sophia you say I poked people I couldn't expect a negative reciprocity with? Are you kidding me? Flying under the radar and avoiding conflict? What kind of narrative are you crafting here? You even quoted my No Lynch vote...

*Splinter

Oh yeah I meant to talk about your no lynch vote.

It's stupid. The ensuing conversation is so predictable:

"No we will definitely lynch"

"OMG Gorlak suggested a no lynch he knows we don't no lynch OMG that's so weird"

"Yes. But it stands out so much. He is so clearly town. I am mafiabot 2.0. Are you scum?"

etc

Something like that. Already you're trying to use it in you're defense - an easy counterexample to "flying under the radar". It doesn't work when you're so blatantly insincere with it.

Gorlak

Banned

It's stupid.

It's not. It's the best way to handle this stupid day 1 nonsense. We minimalize casulties and give Darryl a chance to die tonight.

---

Apart from that: Sophia tries to paint me as a scum coaster avoiding conflict. If anything I'm scum searching the conflict.

*Splinter

It's stupid. The ensuing conversation is so predictable:

"No we will definitely lynch"

"OMG Gorlak suggested a no lynch he knows we don't no lynch OMG that's so weird"

"Yes. But it stands out so much. He is so clearly town. I am mafiabot 2.0. Are you scum?"

etc

Something like that. Already you're trying to use it in you're defense - an easy counterexample to "flying under the radar". It doesn't work when you're so blatantly insincere with it.
Ok I was thinking more about the previous times I've seen this conversation happen, and it's usually centred around a new player or a player who has precedent for pushing a No Lynch... but then I remembered that Gorlak pushed a No Lynch (I think) in his first couple of games, so maybe it's not an elaborate ruse, maybe it's just a bad idea. I'm not sure.

Sophia

hmmucpsk.jpg

I acknowledge your points, Gorlak. I'll concede with you on the breadcruming point for now.

Related, but I did a read of Kyanrute's posts, and got townish vibes from them.

There's one person I wish to look over right now, so I'll doing that for a bit.

Top Bottom