• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scooter - The thread of horrible techno rapping and back to the happy hardcore 90s!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scooter is a German hard dance band founded in Hamburg, who have sold over 25 million records and earned 80 gold and platinum awards. Scooter are considered the most successful single-record German act with 23 top ten hits.
13297_scooter_revs_up.jpg

I remeber the very first time I heard a Scooter song, it was in a car stereo on the way to france in the summer of 1996. The radio was playing Hyper Hyper, and I was like, 'What is this kind of music?!', it sucked but was kind great at the same time. My older brother informed me that it was Scooter a german techno band. When we got home from the vacation I bought their third album Wicked and became quite a big fan of them throughout the 90s.

I identify myself a lot with the gaf generation so I thought I might share my nostalgic trip through the golden era of Scooter.

...And the Beat Goes On! (1995)
200px-Scooter_-_%E2%80%A6and_the_Beat_Goes_On%21_album_cover.jpg

One of the best albums, Move your Ass and Hyper Hyper are hilarious tracks, and Endless Summer and Friends are probably the best happy hardcore tracks scooter has done.

Move your Ass (It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice :lol )
Hyper Hyper
Endless Summer
Waiting for Spring
Friends
Rhapsody in E

Our Happy Hardcore (1996)
200px-Scooter_-_Our_Happy_Hardcore_album_cover.jpg

Not as happy hardcore compared to the previous album, lots of repetetive songs, still got some good songs here and there.

Our Happy Hardcore
Crank it up (Jesus what a horrible track :lol )
Scooter - This Is A Monstertune

Wicked! (1996)
200px-Scooter_-_Wicked_album_cover.jpg

As I mentioned my first Scooter album, very Scooterish. I remember the awesome introduction and We take you higher as the best. Had a few ok trance tracks as well.

Wicked Introduction
We take you higher
I'm raving (awful cover of Walking in Memphis :lol )
Zebras Crossing the Street
Break it up (yeah the front singer just can't sing :lol )

Age of Love (1997)
200px-Scooter_-_Age_of_Love_album_cover.jpg

Also one of their best albums. I remember She said being my favorite Scooter track back in the days, and Age of Love was awesome with the Terminator 2 theme in it. A lot of the songs HP Baxxter didn't sing that much which is always a plus :lol Wasn't that techno heavy now that I listen to the songs again. Fire is also awesome!

Age of Love
She said
Fire
Hit the Drum
Don't waste no time

No Time to Chill (1998)
200px-Scooter_-_No_Time_To_Chill_album_cover.jpg

The last good Scooter album imo, and still the worst out of the good ones. A few good hits, but none on par with the best of Age of Love. We are the greatest is a nice Kraftwerk inspired track. Overall it kinda felt tame, like Scooter was losing their energy (which turned out to be true)
How much is the fish?
We are the greatest
Call me Manana
Everything's Borrowed

Then came the next 3 albums that I bought and reget it once I listened through them. It defintely seemed like Scooter had lost its magic to me. It seemed like the Happy Hardcore from the 90s had disappeared. H.P.Baxxters awful rapping was getting old and they didn't really bring anything new(that was good) to the table.

Back to the Heavyweight Jam (1999) Sheffield (2000) We Bring The Noise! (2001)
200px-Backheavyweight.jpg
scooter_sheffield.jpg
200px-Scooter_-2001-_We_Bring_The_Noise%21_cover.jpg

Faster Harder Scooter
Don't Gimme the Funk
Fuck The Millenium
I shot the dj

Then I grew up and started to hate all techno/trance music, and was kinda embarrassed that I used to like this kind of music. Scooter moved into a new direction with high pitched voice in all songs which annoyed the hell out of me. They have released 6 albums plus various compilations since which I haven't touched other than stumbling upon a new single here and there(still fucking high pitched voices godamnit!).

Though every once in a while I get this nostalgic flip(happening right now) where I go through their prime time in the 90s. Their music is somehow awful and great at the same time, very unique and always brings a smile to my face. I don't know if it's just the nostalgia kicking in or if they really got a hold of something special back in the 90s.

Yeah that is what is so strange about them. The front singer couldn't sing if his life depened on it, the music was medicore at best, yet they had some charm both as a band but also in the music, and somehow this made them relevant in the 90s.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I killed way more brain cells to their music that I would like to accept in public.

But then again, so did most of Europe during the mid 90's.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Combichristoffersen said:
Respect to the man in the ice cream van!
The most aesome quotes have been coming from H.P. Baxxter's mouth :lol :lol

MDSLKTR said:
The singer's face still haunts my dreams :lol
2432443.jpg

Kinda funny since Prodigy and Scooter have been the music that influenced me the most during the 90s.

Funky Papa said:
Do you know what this thread needs? More Dune.
Nice, don't recognize it, but very happy hardcore :D

Piggus

Ha. I made some GMOD videos a while ago. It has become mandatory to use Scooter in each one. I have permission from the record label so YouTube doesn't remove the audio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPxwMptxBPg

MTV contacted me about putting one on Best.Show.Ever but I couldn't sign the release form (thanks a lot, Valve.) ;_; Oh well. 3.6 million views is still pretty good.

El_Victor

I was only 10 years old when I saw the music video for "How much is the fish", even back then I thought it was stupid as hell.
I bought the CD and put that song on repeat, and listened to it so much that I could "sing" it word for word, without understanding anything of it.

Davidion

Yeah Scooter doesn't really sound like Happy Hardcore. Dare I say real Happy Hardcore is infinitely more annoying? :lol

But man, Scooter is...

Kabouter said:
And Gabber is the only youth culture the Netherlands has ever produced.

So what you're basically saying is that I should hate the Netherlands with a murderous zeal.

Hey now, you gave us 2 Unlimited, 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor and Vengaboys, so it's not all bad :p

So what you're telling me is that the Dutch needs to be genetically wiped from the face of the planet.

Kabouter said:
And Gabber is the only youth culture the Netherlands has ever produced.
Oh how glorious this nation is.

But seriously, I don't mind the culture you guys created. All the Dutch and Belgian eurodance projects are the soundtrack to my youth.

It's kinda bugs me that the music suddenly is all the rage again though, and that the singers/producers/... smell money and go on tour and make new tracks again. They shouldn't glorify their music, because it's pretty stupid. Just leave it where it belongs: in the foute nineties. :)

Combichristoffersen

Souldriver said:
It's kinda bugs me that the music suddenly is all the rage again though, and that the singers/producers/... smell money and go on tour and make new tracks again.

I don't mind washed-up has-beens like Haddaway, DJ Bobo and Dr. Alban making new music and/or touring again. But what does bug me is that their new material is, more often than not, not very good compared to the stuff they did in their heyday.

Also, I wish E-Rotic would return :(

I don't mind washed-up has-beens like Haddaway, DJ Bobo and Dr. Alban making new music and/or touring again. But what does bug me is that their new material is, more often than not, not very good compared to the stuff they did in their heyday.

Also, I wish E-Rotic would return :(
MAX DONT HAVE SEX WITH YOUR EX

FRED COME TO BED

OH NICK PLEASE NOT SO QUICK

FRITZ LOVE MY TITS

E-rotic truly were the masters of rhyme.

Combichristoffersen

Souldriver said:
MAX DONT HAVE SEX WITH YOUR EX

FRED COME TO BED

OH NICK PLEASE NOT SO QUICK

FRITZ LOVE MY TITS

E-rotic truly where the masters of rhyme.

Willy use a billy, don't be silly
Sex on the phone, I'm so alone
Help me dr. Dick, I need your lovin' oh so quick

:lol

Treo360

I like them. I use for my climbs when I instruct Spin
Jump That Rock (Whatever You Want) (Jorg Schmid Mix)
Behind the Cow (extended)
Maria I like it loud (club mix)

Mixed terrain is:
Faster Harder Scooter

Spitz

Thx to this thread i just bought the "24 Carat Gold" Scooter Album on iTunes its just perfect to my workout in the gym. :D

shuri

Banned
Try working out to Atari Teenage Riot :D
The self-destruction of that band is a tragedy, but the way is went out is exactly how I would had expected them to go

1- Carl Crack lived up to his name and killed himself by overdose in 2001
2- Hanin Helias, who slutted around with the entire band, got pregnant, and kept touring until the death of Karl was mega heavily pregnant, she stopped when she started pucking blood during a show. She now is a mom living in the Bahamas, making an army of kids
3- Alec Empire is still making music mostly to pay the bills now, and had hilarious interviews joking about his ATR days about how rebellious yet foolish those days were.
4- Nic Endo, That asian chick who led to the destruction of the band with her insane noise.. went.. I dont know where. I believe she returned to her own planet. I guess Alec woke up one morning and realise she was too hardcore for him ahha

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Was first exposed to Scooter in the DDR for your fingers game, StepMania (I think it was). The Logical Song.

Skip forward in time to the opening of the movie Bruno...and I instantly knew who had done the song based only on my hearing of that other song.

I've since bought their (I guess compilation?) album called The Album.

Love how they include crowd noise into their recordings, as it helps get you more into the whole experience, kind of like you're just another one in the crowd of this massive club or something.

I dig it.

Subitai

This thread is great! I'm not sure if I should be ashamed I have refused to drop Scooter from my playlists.

Combichristoffersen

Subitai said:
This thread is great! I'm not sure if I should be ashamed I have refused to drop Scooter from my playlists.

As long as it's mostly stuff from their first 4 albums, it's all good. After that they've been hit and miss (missing most of the time).

Davidion

shuri said:
The self-destruction of that band is a tragedy, but the way is went out is exactly how I would had expected them to go

1- Carl Crack lived up to his name and killed himself by overdose in 2001
2- Hanin Helias, who slutted around with the entire band, got pregnant, and kept touring until the death of Karl was mega heavily pregnant, she stopped when she started pucking blood during a show. She now is a mom living in the Bahamas, making an army of kids
3- Alec Empire is still making music mostly to pay the bills now, and had hilarious interviews joking about his ATR days about how rebellious yet foolish those days were.
4- Nic Endo, That asian chick who led to the destruction of the band with her insane noise.. went.. I dont know where. I believe she returned to her own planet. I guess Alec woke up one morning and realise she was too hardcore for him ahha

That stuff about Hanin is nuts.

Shizuo was better anyways; I liked the soundscapes of ATR but couldn't stand the stupid political posturing.

Hixx

I used to love Happy Hardcore, but I would always be embarassed to be caught listening to Scooter even though I'd be fine with shit like my Bonkers tapes :lol

The Logical Song.

This was fucking huge round where I lived. Everyone loved it even though it's terrible :lol

faridmon

I love scooter. Even if the lyrics is bad and the rap is just god awful, the techno beats are always good and pumps me up.

'One- Always hardcore' is one of the most listened track ever. I never get bored of it. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom