• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Deku Tree

So I beat
Gehrman
and the game ended and dumped me right in NG+. I bought the dlc but was saving it for post-game, guess I'm stuck doing it on NG+.

If you have a recent backup save on PS+ then you can save scum and lose a small amount of progress and go do the DLC in NG. Otherwise yeah you gotta do it on NG+.

Good luck with that. DLC is absolutely brutal.

You'll enjoy every second of it!

If you have a recent backup save on PS+ then you can save scum and lose a small amount of progress and go do the DLC in NG. Otherwise yeah you gotta do it on NG+.

No PS+.
I think I'm going to take a break from the game, shouldn't have assumed that it would allow me to choose if I wanted to move on.
The difficulty felt right to me, if the dlc is that much harder I probably wont have the patience to beat it.

Deku Tree

No PS+.
I think I'm going to take a break from the game, shouldn't have assumed that it would allow me to choose if I wanted to move on.
The difficulty felt right to me, if the dlc is that much harder I probably wont have the patience to beat it.

Yeah if you level up to like 120-140 then the DLC on NG+ is very manageable.

Consumer

Can't believe the OTs are still kicking. I'm super LTTP; just started/finished it this week. Should have the platinum in a few more days. First souls game; wasn't as impossible as I anticipated, but still difficult.

I'm in the upper Cathedral Ward getting the hunter tool, and I've already lost 25 insight from the brainsuckers within 30 minutes. I don't even think I used 25 insight throughout the entire game. Seriously, fuck these guys. Torches look to be effective, so I'll try that tomorrow.

I actually never got grabbed by a brainsucker during my first playthrough. I had seen footage of creatures with that bright fleshy thing on the head but never saw it in action. In NG+ my mind was blown/sucked. Oh, it's actually the Cthulhu guys! They eat your insight? That's so mean!

françois

The brainsuckers can be annoying, especially if you don't know what their moves are. 1 thing that I don't know, can they actually kill you with the insight stealigng attack?

Seems like i always get left with a tiny bit of HP, no matter how much hp I had before the attack.

Sulik2

So finally started a new game after getting my plat last month. Took me an hour to beat Cleric beast and Gasciogne, get everything in Central Yarnham and no deaths yet. Its hilarious how much easier it is starting this game when you know the mechanics and levels. Loving using the axe at the start instead of the saw cleaver too. Can I go to the DLC now that I have the Cathedral Ward open or do I need to kill Vicar first?

Risible

I'm a huge fan of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. For instance, I've put something like 400 hours into Dark Souls III recently.

I bought a PS4 specifically in anticipation of Bloodborne. I put a lot of hours into it but never really progressed - I kept making new characters and trying different weapons in the hope that it would click but I quit at Father Gascoigne every time. Eventually I just quit. :(

I REALLY want to like Bloodborne.

What would you guys say is the best starting weapon and the most OP weapon?

I'm older and my reaction times aren't what they used to be, and I think that was part of the problem as Bloodborne seems a lot twitchier than Demon/Dark Souls.

Any thoughts? Any good sites with "builds" that will help me out? Is there an equivalent of the Royal class in Demon's Souls, an OP starting class/weapon?

Sulik2

Bloodborne starts poorly, first area is brutal. Use the starting class that gets 15 strength and start with the hunters axe. The two hand charge r2 move on the axe makes lots of enemies trivial. Its a 360 spin that knocks enemies down.

For Gascgione get the music box for the fight, it stuns him and let's you do an r2 charge to his back then backstabbing. I like fighting him on the stairs as well. Parry him there, its fairly easy and the stairs help negate his blunderbuss. The key to all boss battles in bloodborne is stay behind the boss and they give you the mobility to do it. And don't be afraid to summon.

Melchiah

Bloodborne starts poorly, first area is brutal. Use the starting class that gets 15 strength and start with the hunters axe. The two hand charge r2 move on the axe makes lots of enemies trivial. Its a 360 spin that knocks enemies down.

I agree that it's a punishing beginning, but I definitely wouldn't call it a poor start, eventhough I got killed again and again there. I did my virgin run through the game with Threaded Cane, and loved it despite of the added challenge at first.

Deku Tree

Well I built a 99 arcane character and grinded for some OP gems

ClKXan0WkAAPgSa.jpg

These Cold Abyssal gems are extremely OP.

Primary Lost Stamina Saw Spear

Secondary Lost against Kin Saw Cleaver:

Consumer

françois;207445277 said:
The brainsuckers can be annoying, especially if you don't know what their moves are. 1 thing that I don't know, can they actually kill you with the insight stealigng attack?

Seems like i always get left with a tiny bit of HP, no matter how much hp I had before the attack.

Yup, I can (unfortunately) confirm that the insight eating move can be fatal.

I agree with the general consensus that brain suckers aren't inherently as difficult as I perceive them to be, but a large part of it is my fear that freezes me up. I'm a major hoarder and beckon people quite often, so I'm always on the borderline of tears when I get caught in their insight-stealing animation that seems to last for 30 seconds while I helplessly watch my resources being drained. I'm so afraid of their attack that I end up making stupid decisions and never attack when I should. Also, it's really tricky parrying them. I parried one my first try as he charged at me, but my other 5 attempts after that all failed for some reason.

When I platinum bb, I'm just gonna spend a solid hour or so killing these fuckers stress-free.

Edit: Oh, another thing I forgot to bitch about. Throwing Molotov cocktails. I got that brilliant idea at some point. Locked on to one of them, I threw about 5-7 cocktails at him and they all missed, just going behind him instead. Is there anything I can do to NOT throw like 50 cent??

I just got into Bloodborne recently and I'm really loving it, until I hit the defiled chalice haha. I'm gonna keep having tries against the watchdog of old lords, but I was wondering, if I cant kill the doggy and need coop help, do I have to be within 10% of a co-opers level to summon them?

I'm 120 right now, I guess I'm over leveled for the dungeon, quite embarrassing :p

Deku Tree

I just got into Bloodborne recently and I'm really loving it, until I hit the defiled chalice haha. I'm gonna keep having tries against the watchdog of old lords, but I was wondering, if I cant kill the doggy and need coop help, do I have to be within 10% of a co-opers level to summon them?

I'm 120 right now, I guess I'm over leveled for the dungeon, quite embarrassing :p

Guide for watch dog https://youtu.be/eDSo2ihk1Zo

Actually a pretty routine fight once you know what to do.

Guide for watch dog https://youtu.be/eDSo2ihk1Zo

Actually a pretty routine fight once you know what to do.
Oh thanks! I'll check it out :) I've noticed quite a few people use the saw cleaver, I went with the Threaded cane and I still like it to this day, but for the dungeons I decided to use Blade of Mercy, I think i should switch back cause I mash the living hell out of r1 when I use it cause the attacks are so fast and cool to look at! getting me in all sorts of trouble when each hit doesn't stagger :p

Melchiah

Wohoo! Headless Bloodletting Beast of Ihyll chalice down first time on solo. I tried Saw Cleaver, Ludwig, and Whirligig Saw, but failed with all of them. The good old Threaded Cane's whip form did the trick on the first try. I had few close calls there though.

Here's a video of the fight:
https://youtu.be/xXLCksDfMOY

Ferr986

Range for summoning is bigger. Dunno the % now but should be around 25%? It's way bigger than in Dark Souls.

Also, if you get help via password the levels scale with you so you can coop with anyone.

Range for summoning is bigger. Dunno the % now but should be around 25%? It's way bigger than in Dark Souls.

Also, if you get help via password the levels scale with you so you can coop with anyone.

That's good to hear, I keep getting the dog to like 10% and then wiping, I'm sure I'll get it eventually!

I'll have to look at the password thing for dungeons, I guess you cant just be in the same dungeon and ring the bell haha

gwailo

Banned
There's a NPC nearby that you can summon. But the dog leaves itself really open to back attacks. I beat it last night after a couple of tries and I'm level 52.

Ferr986

That's good to hear, I keep getting the dog to like 10% and then wiping, I'm sure I'll get it eventually!

I'll have to look at the password thing for dungeons, I guess you cant just be in the same dungeon and ring the bell haha

You can, but needs to be on the same floor.

Or the helper uses the short ritual chalice with password ON, he will get summoned too.

Do it now.

I would wait a lil, tbh. The DLC is harder than anything on the current game and once he's done the rest of the base game will be absurdly easy. Also I feel like its tunned for around 70-80 and high level weapons.

Hey Bloodborne-GAF, wanted to share my joy today at finally completing Eileen's quest in the Grand Cathedral. My satisfaction was second to none!!!

I'm now at a point where I have reached both Ebretias AND the area just before Mergo's Wet Nurse. What I think is left on my to do list before taking down Gehrman:

- Ebretias first
- chalice dungeons (I think I'm only on the third one, summoning help when I need to seems quite impossible :-()
- Old Hunter DLC
- Finish up secret trophies (except the endings)

What's the most 'entertaining' way to grind echoes? Feels like I keep replaying The One Reborn constantly as I can never seem to be summoned anywhere else :-(

Melchiah

What's the most 'entertaining' way to grind echoes? Feels like I keep replaying The One Reborn constantly as I can never seem to be summoned anywhere else :-(

The best place is Mergo's middle loft, the second lantern in Nightmare of Mensis. Just
lure the pigs to fight with the shadows
. Easy, fast, and gives you a ~100k echoes (~300k on NG+) with three Moon runes equipped.

On a side note, just beat Yharnam; https://youtu.be/ZUz6HNjBGYg It feels good to have finally beaten the Ihyll chalice without co-op help.

EDIT: After playing through the story and DLC twice (still need to beat two DLC bosses on NG+), and all the chalices (+several root ones), I'm now at level 222 with six +10 weapons. I think it's a good time to say farewell to the game, for now.

Consumer

Wow. Amygdala in the Defiled Chalice Dungeon (layer 3) is probably the hardest boss fight in the game.

50 vitality and strong PHYS defense armor, and I still consistently get 1-shotted when I try to thread the needle through her legs.

Melchiah

You can buy father gasgiones set in the hunters dream. Or pick some up in the woods.

Or just pick the Black Church set from the round plaza of Cathedral Ward.

EDIT:
Wow. Amygdala in the Defiled Chalice Dungeon (layer 3) is probably the hardest boss fight in the game.

50 vitality and strong PHYS defense armor, and I still consistently get 1-shotted when I try to thread the needle through her legs.

Runes that increase HP and physical damage resistance may help you a bit there.

A random one? Yes but not infinitely, or I don't think so. You can probably re-create it from the same glyph but you'd run out of tombstones eventually.

For non-random ones, yes, you can, but I don't know why you would. ^^
To farm insight, of course. Better to do it in the easy ones, instead of going on to the harder dungeons.

Finally got a PS4, and been playing this. Or more accurately been stepping into the "Souls" meat grinder again. Was getting my ass kicked fighting with the cleaver, so I switched to the cane and am doing better.

Still haven't got past that first bonfire group

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Finally got a PS4, and been playing this. Or more accurately been stepping into the "Souls" meat grinder again. Was getting my ass kicked fighting with the cleaver, so I switched to the cane and am doing better.

Still haven't got the post that first bonfire group
You're using the whip? Oh boy, have fun with the boss. Whip is has good crowd control but low damage. I like the cleaver because it slams the werewolves to the ground and does big damage.

Melchiah

You're using the whip? Oh boy, have fun with the boss. Whip is has good crowd control but low damage. I like the cleaver because it slams the werewolves to the ground and does big damage.

I used the Threaded Cane on my first run, and didn't have issues with it. Actually, I couldn't beat Headless Bloodletting Beast in Ihyll chalice with +10 Saw Cleaver, after several failed tries I switched to +10 Cane and beat it on the first try.

The damage difference isn't that great in the end:
(Wpn 1 Cane & wpn 2 Cleaver)

I have better gems on the Cane though...
...19.5% x2 and 18% on the Cleaver.

Made my goal to finally finish Old Hunters DLC this weekend. Boy the bosses are tough as nails, and it didnt help that I was fairly underlevel. Felt good taking them down solo though.

Made my goal to finally finish Old Hunters DLC this weekend. Boy the bosses are tough as nails, and it didnt help that I was fairly underlevel. Felt good taking them down solo though.

Bloodborne The Old Hunters – Welcome to the real world, kid. Feeling so small! Making progress feels like pushing a wall and I LOVE IT!! Actually I haven't been able to beat the first boss so far. I'm in NG+, that's where I entered the DLC for the frist time. Maybe that's too hardcore for me right now...So I'm grinding levels, haha!

Congrats, finally started to play BB a few weeks ago as well. If you feel you're underperforming it could very well be your (kinda weak) weapon. One thing to remember: you don't HAVE to kill everyone. For example I often ran past that first group by the fire.

Regarding combat: the spacing between you and your enemies is really important. Use that dodge button as much as needed. If you get hit get your HP back by hitting back as soon as you can (regain)! You trick weapons are really effective when you use combos. Attacking and then transforming the weapon as part of the attack will result in a deadly combo with most weapons.

Also there are two ways
you can enter the sewer parts right now. There you'll find a better weapon and even an important item that lets you level up. Don't hesitate to explore the whole area before taking on the first boss.

Matt Frost

Congratulations! And welcome! And so it begins! Bloodborne is my favorite PS4 game and you will love it as well! It's tough, but so rewarding.

Some tips:

There is a level cap at 40, after that each level just gives you 1 point, kind of useless unless you have every stat at 40

Try to lure enemies one by one throwing rocks at them

The saw cleaver is the best weapon since it stuns enemies and deals more damage

Try to get the pistol instead of the other one since is better for parrying

Never give up

Melchiah

There is a level cap at 40, after that each level just gives you 1 point, kind of useless unless you have every stat at 40

The saw cleaver is the best weapon since it stuns enemies and deals more damage

Try to get the pistol instead of the other one since is better for parrying

My skill is at level 55, and I noticed that from time to time levelling up beyond 40 gave a bigger increase than that. Most likely because of the gems I had equipped.

I think Threaded Cane works better in the chalices, and against certain bosses, due to its reach. It certainly made many bosses easier for me, particularly the large beasts.

The Blunderbuss gives you more room for error due its wider spread. Evelyn comes in handy in the later chalices, if you have high enough Bloodtinge level.

Top Bottom