• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

fresquito

This is not a case of UI being unfriendly to newbies. It's a case of being unfriendly. Period.

You can delete your save file. Internet will tell you how. About career, I haven't touched it, but as far as I know you can delete them.

Dilly

Banned
There were some lovely user designed GUI's on the WMD forum and they did nothing with them. It always felt like an after thought.

Klocker

Man just picked this back up again after playing forza for awhile and I have to say ...the visceral feeling of this game is unparalleled. it is such fun and exciting racing that the glitz of Forza is just not the same... It became a glorified car collecting game for me. Looking forward to pcars 2. Of course the road cars aren't nearly as fun to drive as Forza but the racing... Man. And I love qualifying

Jamesways

Man just picked this back up again after playing forza for awhile and I have to say ...the visceral feeling of this game is unparalleled. it is such fun and exciting racing that the glitz of Forza is just not the same... It became a glorified car collecting game for me. Looking forward to pcars 2. Of course the road cars aren't nearly as fun to drive as Forza but the racing... Man. And I love qualifying

As stressful as it is, that panic you feel when you're trying to turn one or two more good laps as time is running out and it starts to rain and you hope you're tires hold out, that's the kind of experience that sets this apart for me too.

Klocker

As stressful as it is, that panic you feel when you're trying to turn one or two more good laps as time is running out and it starts to rain and you hope you're tires hold out, that's the kind of experience that sets this apart for me too.

Yep that's good stuff...

I may be in the minority but I dig full on helmet cam and the car motion set at default with dynamic FOV... man what a trip, so intense.

Also great example is I am rounding the long turn at Laguna Seca after the corkscrew in third place trying to keep my line (while thinking of 2nd) as the rain is starting to fall while on slicks only to just slightly spin out to end up 8th... so good.

I've never played the game in my life, but I just saw it on clearance at Target for 5.95. I greedily snatched it up, and can't wait to pop it in tonight!

Patrick S.

Banned
I've never played the game in my life, but I just saw it on clearance at Target for 5.95. I greedily snatched it up, and can't wait to pop it in tonight!

Expect to having to play around with the controller settings to make the handling less twitchy, but once you've found a setup you like you are in for an awesome game.

Mascot

For people with the PC version, car mods based of previous SMS games are available: http://www.nogripracing.com/files.php?subcat=147

111_zps4bjxplse.jpg

Nnnnng..!

The remaining guys still regularly lurking this thread probably know me for liking Forza and trying to defend the series if it gets treated unfairly and also for disliking pCARS' tire model "feel". I also like to do lap time comparisons between racing games, which are completely worthless, but I love doing them anyway.
Now, lately our neighbors' wretched kid just total'ed his not-even-close-to-paid-off Toyota GT86, which inspired me to give that car a go in different sims - stock condition, no assists(it's not even 200HP), on the Nordschleife.

Gran Turismo 6:
The FFB feels a bit stiff and last-gen, but the car is fantastic and compared to other cars it's ridiculous with what you can get away with (well, in general, you can get away with a lot in GT, but here it's really noticable). The suspension is very balanced, responsive yet curbs don't unsettle the thing at all. It has the feel of getting the Kaz-favorite treatment like the Skylines.

Assetto Corsa:
The car feels brilliant, the FFB feels great, the tires seem a bit stiff, but that's normal in AC. Very balanced, responsive and forgiving. You can push it over the edge a lot easier than in GT6, but the balanced setup and user-friendly weight distribution lets the car slide in a natural manner, letting you have some boy'ish fun with it. Braking distance in AC is longer than in other sims and trail-braking - while not feeling unfair - is the hardest thing on the Nordschleife with its height differences that this car has to offer in AC. Easy, natural feeling fun.

Forza Motorsport 6:
This car feels terrible(!!) in FM6! Godawful, irredeemable and unrealistic. The suspension feels muddy like the car has the suspension from a family car made in (19)86. Even though I have probably more experience with Forza than I have with any other sim, the car was was not only harder to drive in general than in the other games, it was also especially harder to find its limits on the track. I wouldn't call it inconsistent, but much harder to judge what I could get away with and how to counter it. My fastest out of just 3 laps (I had enough! and counting the rewinds in the not-counted laps it was closer to 4 laps anyway) felt slow and almost "careful", yet was as fast as in GT6 where I could push the car more than in the other games.

Project CARS:
[Disclaimer: I'm not exactly a fan of this game and didn't buy DLC on the PC (my DLC money went into rebuying it on PC after the annoying XB1 version), so I only have the Scion FR-S version of the Toyota GT86, which still is more or less the same car. I also didn't try the stock setup and instead used tuning values from projectcarssetups.eu that tried to get closer to the real world suspension setup while making it a bit slower maybe.]
The car and to my surprise the FFB ("classic" config) too felt fantastic, awesome, superb. Respensive, not overly stiff or hard, easy to drive and in most cases even, intentionally getting the car into a drift, it does not outright try to kill you like a lot of other cars, tyres and suspension setups in pCARS do. It felt - I have a hard time to believe I'm actually saying this - it felt as good as Assetto Corsa! The only real differences to me were a) trail braking didn't unsettle the car as much in pCARS as it did in AC, but that might have been nothing more than different brake bias, and b) pushing the car too much in pCARS and more or less drifting it un-intentionally leads way easier to spinning out and spoils the playfulness you can have with the car in AC. Countersteering just is too hard to get right. It's kinda believable in race car, but not in non-supercar street legal one.
Still, I was baffled and think I might buy some DLC for pCARS if it's discounted in the upcoming Steam summer sale.

Not that it really matters, but my lap times were GT6 8:40.851 ; AC 8:52.553 ; FM6 8:41.966 ; pCARS 8:38.783 ; real world 8:44.90.

TJP

terrible

Banned
[trimmed down]

Not that it really matters, but my lap times were GT6 8:40.851 ; AC 8:52.553 ; FM6 8:41.966 ; pCARS 8:38.783 ; real world 8:44.90.

I haven't done a test with those specific cars but your observations sound exactly right to me. I also find I'm slower in Assetto in cars I've tried across multiple games and GT6 while really fun is super forgiving with most road cars allowing for someone slow like me to put up some pretty nice times lol.

With Forza it's really interesting how in the end your times still end up being really competitive with the times you can run in other games even though it feels really slow and dare I say boring with a wheel. I don't know where I'm finding the extra time in Forza because it feels like I'm crawling out of corners.

TJP

Well that's disappointing.
It is disappointing but not to the point to which pCARS is rendered pointless. Every racing game has its share of issues and exploits; it is the nature of making complicated software.

PRC also love to make Himalayas out of a speck of dirt too.

Jamesways

Brilliant!

Ah PRC, can't have more than a few days without a pCARS or Ian Bell article.
Their obsession is quite unhealthy.

TJP

Brilliant!

Ah PRC, can't have more than a few days without a pCARS or Ian Bell article.
Their obsession is quite unhealthy.
They have to focus on someone in between the anti Reiza, anti rFactor 2 or anti Kunos posts 😴
Seems there are more than a few unhinged people posting on PRC...there is one guy that spends all of his time posting anti-Assetto Corsa messages in response to every 'article' whether said article is about AC or not.

Icefire1424

I thought the bombs that dropped was the functional AI. I'm going to guess thaaaaaaat...Ben Collins is back? How's my aim? Was hoping for something more along the lines of a release date, but I'll take what I can get.

Oh, or that the AI tire wear issues were resolved.

fresquito

I thought the bombs that dropped was the functional AI. I'm going to guess thaaaaaaat...Ben Collins is back? How's my aim? Was hoping for something more along the lines of a release date, but I'll take what I can get.

Oh, or that the AI tire wear issues were resolved.
I said UI, not AI lol:

But yeah, AI is supposed to see some improvements as well.

Mascot

I've just had a couple of posts removed from the official forums, possibly because I dared to point out the hypocrisy of a couple of the moderators. This angers me more than it probably should.

Because of the wrong steering geometry of my nephew's pedal driven go kart, I might be slightly more sensitive to this issue, but should a Caterham (I'm talking about the R500 from pCARS) have a negative Ackermann that high?

I think modern race cars usually go pro/positive Ackermann to add slip-angle to the under-loaded inside wheel and give it more grip these days... then again, the Caterham's design is more on the traditional than the modern side.
Still, I found it hard to believe, couldn't find a youtube video of a Caterham R500 with a lot of turn-in and a perpective you could judge the wheel angle from, then checked Forza and Driveclub:

Finally, I wanted a comparison pic from pCARS with the same perspective as the Forza and Driveclub shots, and...whaaat?
In screenshot/replay mode (as in "not gameplay"), the toe/Ackermann looks completely different!
I think this like the "no rear wheels" during gameplay on your own car (I posted a gif from the giant bomb upf-show). It's a different model in replay-mode.

But what is used in the physics? My guess is, they corrected the physical and the replay ackermann during development, and forgot to change the gameplay-model... at least I hope so. Makes you wonder how much bad modeling "by mistake" there is in pCARS.

Unless there is a demo, I'm not sure I'll buy a pCARS2 on day1... just out of backlash for the bugfest and disappointing FFB I had early on, some of which still not fixed.

Anyway, can I add some "different" FWD cars to the list? I feel like too many sims give us modern low/hard/wide FWD cars with 200-300bhp that can't really replicate the go-kart'ish fun you can have with those agile cars in real life because of missing g-forces in your loving room and ill-fitted, wide tracks.
How about a handful of older (1960-2000) FWD cars that aren't particularly "track-day", but dumb fun with tons of character and some cult surrounding them?

danowat

Banned
Unless there is a demo, I'm not sure I'll buy a pCARS2 on day1... just out of backlash for the bugfest and disappointing FFB I had early on, some of which still not fixed.

Anyway, can I add some "different" FWD cars to the list? I feel like too many sims give us modern low/hard/wide FWD cars with 200-300bhp that can't really replicate the go-kart'ish fun you can have with those agile cars in real life because of missing g-forces in your loving room and ill-fitted, wide tracks.
How about a handful of older (1960-2000) FWD cars that aren't particularly "track-day", but dumb fun with tons of character and some cult surrounding them?

I'd like a slick shod Mini, bit like the UFR from Live for speed.

ufr_gonzo_-_moly_render_196.jpg

As for buying it day one, after the way SMS handled the launch of PC I swore I wouldn't, so we'll see.......

Top Bottom