• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Wondering if I should watch that RLM review before watching the movie. I don't feel terribly compelled to watch the film in theaters. Maybe for 3D?

Eh, I'll probably wait for VOD. After Dawn of Justice, the sourpuss opinions of franchise films kinda help me temper my expectations.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Hmm.. well, sounds like a really bad movie.

The three youtubers I subscribe to for their reviews and trust their analysis of movies, Double Toasted, CBG19, and RLM, all went to town on this movie.

Ah shit Double Toasted didn't like it? :/

Korey and Martin tend to keep in mind how a regular moviegoer will take to a film. Thats why I like them.

Can't remember how big of a fan they were of the original.

Sanjuro

Korey and Martin tend to keep in mind how a regular moviegoer will take to a film. Thats why I like them.

They didn't give a shit about Ghostbusters. They just like Gremlins.

Lothar

Banned
She could literally be their poster child.

She hits all the talking points, right down to there wasn't that much sexism Sony just made it up and everyone actually hates this movie they're just too afraid of the real harassers, it's hillarious.

Sounds like they hate her in the youtube comments because she mentioned a wage gap in the video.

They all said it was an average rental.

gpn

It was okay imo, not really that funny but not particularly bad either. Basically it was perfectly average. I never laughed hard but it got a few smiles and chuckles out of me.

This is pretty much my feelings on the movie too. Thought it was okay with a few chuckles. Chris Hemsworth was the funniest to me followed closely by Kate McKinnon. Leslie Jones was fine, and I'm glad she wasn't the stereotypical street-wise black woman the trailer indicated. Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig didn't do a whole lot for me, and at times it felt like they were playing the same character. The ending felt overblown too and probably too much for this movie. I was also sad we didn't get more from Annie Potts; I really wanted to hear her say "Ghostbusters" one more time. If they do another one, they should bring back Gabe from Silicon Valley, I enjoyed his bits at the beginning.

Did anyone watch Doug & Rob Walker's Sibling Rivalry video? They're pretty much on-point and it's some of the most level-headed commentary I've seen on the movie so far.

I can't believe Doug is actually trying to argue the action in GB1 is bad because it's simplistic. The action is there to serve the comedy and the story it's not there just to be action schlock. Back then the limitations meant you didn't see the effect much which made its impact a lot cooler when it happened. Even people who like the reboot mostly seem to agree that the big action ending is the weakest part of the new film. I gave up watching Doug's videos many years ago and now I'm reminded of why :/

EmiPrime

Yes because that's the crowd she's attracting now. She still hit all their talking points regarding the movie.

I've paid money in the past for her videos on Vimeo. I won't be doing that ever again.

If she wants to shack up with the gators then lol, good luck with that.

Lothar

Banned
Yes because that's the crowd she's attracting now. She still hit all their talking points regarding the movie.

I guess RLM are awful people now too for thinking an unimaginably bad trailer and a movie they hated deserved a ton of hate.

I've paid money in the past for her videos on Vimeo. I won't be doing that ever again.

This is incredibly dumb. You're not going to give her money anymore because she didn't like a movie? Ok. How do you feel about RLM?

Quite a lot of people embarrassing themselves over, at the end of the day, a harmless reboot.
On both sides, which is why this is hilarious to me. It's all over a reboot/remake that will probably be forgotten about in the next few months/years. It won't be the enduring classic that the original is.

I don't think she's shacking up with them mainly because she's still a feminist. She just considers the whole Ghostbuers controversy to be less real than stuff like the wage gap among other things.

This is incredibly dumb. You're not going to give her money anymore because she didn't like a movie? Ok. How do you feel about RLM?
Come on, he didn't say that. He's talking about the arguments she made in the movie.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Quite a lot of people embarrassing themselves over, at the end of the day, a harmless reboot.

big studios taking control of beloved films, elbowing out the original creators and making a completely unremarkable product to kickstart a franchise that they hope to bleed off every couple of years like a pig stuck in railings is never going to be a good look. especially one filled with fart jokes, straight to video CG and product placement.

it's not like sony don't have previous on this. if they didn't have an biblical scroll of sexist comments to rally the troops with, this film would've bombed even harder than it is.

Nudull

Banned
I guess RLM are awful people now too for thinking an unimaginably bad trailer and a movie they hated deserved a ton of hate.

There's not liking a movie, and then there's parroting troll logic for the sake of supporting your anti-remake crusade.

Man. Get your persecution complex in check. I don't give a shit if she disliked the movie. I giveal shit that she downplayed the amount of sexism that has hit this movie and furthered this idea that Feig and Sony attacked the fanbase.

I give a shit that she literally believes that everyone who liked this movie hated it but are too afraid. I give a shit that she's dismissing the sexism in order to make this movie some stand against a non existant Back to the Future remake because remakes are apparently the devil or some stupid shit.

There's not liking a movie, and then there's parroting troll logic for the sake of supporting your anti-remake crusade.

Except despite their hate of nostalgia and remakes they've given positive reviews to the good remakes like Mad Max and Star Wars and always talk about how "you have to treat each film as it's own thing". They didn't like the movie because (according to them) it's meh as a stand alone film, and when compared to the original is a bad joke.

Lothar

Banned

What's the troll logic, exactly? What's she doing different than RLM or Double Toasted? A lot of people think the movie, especially the trailers, is horrendous enough to deserve an enormous amount of hate. RLM said something along the lines of the new film was telling fans of the original to go fuck themselves.

Man. Get your persecution complex in check. I don't give a shit if she disliked the movie. I giveal shit that she downplayed the amount of sexism that has hit this movie and furthered this idea that Feig and Sony attacked the fanbase.

I give a shit that she literally believes that everyone who liked this movie hated it but are too afraid. I give a shitbthat she's dismissing the sexism in order to make this movie some stand against a non existant Back to the Future remake because remakes are apparently the devil or some stupid shit.

What an angry individual you are. lol.
Also movie sucked. Leslie Jones was the best part.

What's the troll logic, exactly? What's she doing different than RLM or Double Toasted? A lot of people think the movie, especially the trailers, is horrendous enough to deserve an enormous amount of hate. RLM said something along the lines of the new film was telling fans of the original to go fuck themselves.

Yeah ok... that's insane

EmiPrime

I give a shit that she literally believes that everyone who liked this movie hated it but are too afraid. I give a shit that she's dismissing the sexism in order to make this movie some stand against a non existant Back to the Future remake because remakes are apparently the devil or some stupid shit.

Spot on.

Yeah ok... that's insane

Has it ever occurred to you that you may be the crazy one? Crazy people don't realize that there crazy usually. lol
Examples of people who are crazy but don't know they're crazy:
Trump Voters
SW Prequel Fans/Defenders
Ghostbusters 2016 Fans/Defenders

Improvement Idea #1
Leslie Jones should have been the main character.

Nudull

Banned
Has it ever occurred to you that you may be the crazy one? Crazy people don't realize that there crazy usually. lol
Examples of people who are crazy but don't know they're crazy:
Trump Voters
SW Prequel Fans/Defenders
Ghostbusters 2016 Fans/Defenders

Improvement Idea #1
Leslie Jones should have been the main character.

Yeah, comparing people who like Ghostbusters and the SW prequels to Trump supporters is gonna go over well...

Lothar

Banned
Yeah ok... that's insane

I may not be saying it the exact way they say it. Watch the video. I'm curious of your take on it.

It sounds like they also don't believe the majority of the hatred from the movie is from sexism. They point towards Alien, Terminator, and the new Star Wars as examples of movies with female leads that are loved by almost everyone. And they spend a long time explaining everything the new Ghostbusters did wrong and how it alienated their core audience from the beginning.

Even if you disagree, saying they or CBG19 are allying with the gamergaters and deserve troll comments is a bit much.

EmiPrime

I wish I had the passion y'all have about Ghostbusters for literally anything in the world

In an ideal world Ghostbusters would just be a fun summer comedy movie that gets review scores between 6 and 8 out of 10 and that would be the end of it.

Misogynists having bled the gamergate stone dry have turned it into their new rallying cause and that's a fertile market for any huckster with a Youtube account to tap into.

Will, who is the bigger Ghostbusters fan of the crew, gave it a Full Price. He loved it.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
so CBG19 is like some secret GG sympathizer or totally out of touch or whatever now?

seems kind of far fetched. but everyone talks towards their own narrative.

I wouldn't try to deny or explain away some of the ridiculous sexist hate this movie has received but between KF and Landis and now right in front of my eyes CBG along with a few others there does seem to be a reality for a lot of people where you say one thing or voice your disappointment in something and then all these losers and sexist/racists idiots come out of the wood work and pat you on the back cause you're kind of agreeing with them when it comes to not liking a movie - not necessarily WHY you don't - just that the end product fails.
And that must fucking suck.

Like... i can't stand some of the people in my management at my company - if that lumped me in with some of our helpdesk nozzles like they were my friends just because we don't like a boss (potentially for WILDLY different reasons) i'd be all "Nah son, go away."

Still waiting for a chance to see this bad boy for free though. super curious bout these day glo ghosts and Kate McKinnon is wyfe material. I will watch this drunk.

edit:
It's because they were attacking the logo. Which still seems weird to me, but oh well

dat stretch armstong reach though... crimeny.

BazzBro

I think theres the awkward in-pass where the sexists and the SJW's fight each other over the film, and then it turns out the film wasnt that good. The people who liked it get to like it and feel good for it, but what about those who didnt like it? they're fucked.

Lothar

Banned
RLM makes it sound like it's the worst movie they've ever seen. They basically see it like a Star Wars prequel. If you think that, the trailer getting the most dislikes on youtube is going to make sense. AVGN and CBG19 don't seem to be big fans of the type of movies that win oscars. For them, Ghostbusters is like Citizen Kane. CBG went on and on about how awful the trailer was and was bored to death watching the new film.

She acknowledged the filth on youtube and says the comment section on youtube is a terrible foul place but she doesn't think that makes up the majority of GB fans. She thinks the majority of GB fans who don't like the new movie are like her. That doesn't make her evil.

So I watched that Comicbookgirl19 video and it was predictably idiotic. I was going to say she sounds like conspiracy theorist but she literally believes that people who like this movie are lying. I don't having anything against her personally but I can't see how anyone has respect for a person that says such ignorant stuff.

Dislike movie all you want but this is just dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom