• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege has the worst matchmaking in an online-only shooter this year.

Rainbow Six: Siege has the worst matchmaking in an online-only shooter this year.

For a AAA games from a AA studio, I really don't get it why it's so slow. I've played games like Rocket League that matches you against 7 other players in less than 30 seconds, and then I've played games like Call of Duty, with multiple game modes and difficulty levels, with various matchmaking calculations.

And then there's Rainbow Six: Siege. This game has only job to do: Start a Casual Multiplayer game, and find 9 other players who you can play with. No multiple game modes, nor a skill-based matchmaking, and yet it fails at the one basic thing it needs to do, and that is connect you ASAP. It is so slow and inaccurate. It just doesn't work, and its darn random to be honest.

Dear Ubisoft,

Please explain why your online matchmaking is slow and just garbage? Look at Rocket League and Overwatch as great examples of quick and accurate matchmaking in a multiplayer game. See what they're doing; that's what you need to replicate. Please do it ASAP. Thank you.

nOoblet16

Overwatch and COD have a much higher player population.
It also has to find people to play based on fastest connection, this is on top of the fact that Rainbow Six has a relatively small player base split between casual and ranked and on.

It takes longer but I don't really have had much issues with it.

Sephimoth

It's really annoying sometimes having to wait up to 5 mins- and that's when I've got 3-4 other friends in my squad.

What's also annoying is;
1) Sometimes the wait timer resets for apparently no reason?
2) What does 'enemy team declined match' even mean?

Great game though

Cirruss

There is something a little weird with how the matchmaking works on it. I have found that if it takes longer then 30 seconds to find a game, it is best to cancel the search and start again since it will almost always instantly put you in a game afterwards.

Comparatively niche title paired against player count juggernauts Call of Duty, Overwatch and Rocket League.

Gee i wonder why it takes so long....

I type this as I'm sitting in the matchmaking for Siege right now, but when I played Overwatch on the free weekend recently the matchmaking was literally worse than any other game ive ever played. But yeah, I really don't understand why it takes so long sometimes. There's definitely people playing.

I feel the same way going back to Destiny. Matchmaking takes absolutely forever when compared to other games I've been playing.

olimpia84

For me the biggest offender is the slight lag the game has. A shame because otherwise the multiplayer is great.

Comparatively niche title paired against player count juggernauts Call of Duty, Overwatch and Rocket League.

Gee i wonder why it takes so long....

I don't know what platform OP is on but on the X1 most played list Siege is reguarly above Overwatch and Rocket League.

Oddly enough with Siege ranked matchmaking tends to be quicker than casual for me.

cackhyena

There is something a little weird with how the matchmaking works on it. I have found that if it takes longer then 30 seconds to find a game, it is best to cancel the search and start again since it will almost always instantly put you in a game afterwards.
Yep.

TheKeyPit

Banned

This.

Xater

It also has to find people to play based on fastest connection, this is on top of the fact that Rainbow Six has a relatively small player base split between casual and ranked and on.

It takes longer but I don't really have had much issues with it.

The population isn't a problem with this game though. The matchmaking is just really bad. There are times I can't find a single game and I have to stop the search and then try again for it to work.

duckroll

Look at Rocket League and Overwatch as great examples of quick and accurate matchmaking in a multiplayer game. See what they're doing; that's what you need to replicate. Please do it ASAP. Thank you.

Haha, but people who play Overwatch complain about how long matchmaking takes all the time! Sometimes I wait 3-4 minutes for a game! And then someone quits on the other team before it starts and everyone gets thrown back into the menu!

Is this worse?!

Haha, but people who play Overwatch complain about how long matchmaking takes all the time! Sometimes I wait 3-4 minutes for a game! And then someone quits on the other team before it starts and everyone gets thrown back into the menu!

Is this worse?!

About the same sometimes.

Ranked seems quicker than casual for me.

I usually wait about 3 mins average for overwatch. same for R6.

Dalibor68

Banned
The shitty thing with Casual is that it often connects you mid-game, sometimes even so that you don't get to play anymore.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

And we're done here. Prime example A on why match-making only options suck and why devs need to include a server browser WITH the matchmaking.

Battlefield is about the only title that seems to "get" it. Want to play a mode that isn't popular? TOO BAD in most of these match-making only titles. :/

duckroll said:

Also, yeah. Especially when they say the estimate is shorter than how long it takes to find a match. "Oh we're going to get you a round in 44 seconds." (2 mins later!)

Jarrod38

Yeah matchmaking is random in Siege. One day it takes no time finding a game but then the next day it takes forever. What i hate even more is when someone leaves on my team their dpot never gets filled but if two people on the other team leave their spots get filled right away. Another thing that sucks is getting thrown into a game in progress having no clue what map or what mode you ste playing. One other thing that needs fixed as well is the gameplay. Getting tired of losing to domeone who just pulls down on the trigger randomly and dying from that.

It's not bad at all. There's some bugs that make it take longer sometimes but the timing is fine.

Play on both PS4 and PC here.

You should try THUNT realistic, my wait times sometimes exceed 5mins on PC. It's really annoying and shocking to me that there aren't at least 4 other people wanting to play at the same time.

gafneo

Banned
There is an issue if you want to play on realistic. MP vs seems to be the only mode with dedicated servers. Why not all? I only like playing in co-op.

Rainbow Six takes anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes. Usually, when it takes extra long, I reset the matchmaking and its fine. There are definitely some lingering issues.

OW can take 5 seconds to 3-5 minutes too, which is why they have a Skirmish mode to mask the matchmaking times.

Rocket League is popular, and I dont think the casual modes match based on skill. I've played Beginners in that game-- also, the less popular modes can take like 3 minutes to find someone.

If Vivendi takes over, I hope they greatly care for R6, because it feels Ubisoft sure as fuck doesn't. Ubisoft should be throwing resources at R6 as they have a golden formula, yet the poor R6 team works hard with what they have.

Everybody loves the R6 team and the community managers, yet it feels the publisher doesn't support them as well as they should. Thankfully, we are getting Year 2 content in some form, but I really wish the game was given bigger treatment. Sucks to see trash like the Division given so much attention yet its half the creative and lasting game R6 is

Yeah, I really enjoyed it for a while but a lot of the networking issues, bugs, hit reg, making operators OP just to nerf them on purpose again 5 months later, and other balance changes really turned me off from the game eventually. It just got more and more annoying to play as time went on. Was very fun at the start though, great premise for a game that needs a lot more polish.

Sounds like there is something wrong on your end or you are playing a region with a low player count. I have been playing since release and have almost 600 hours in the game, outside of the release month where the servers were boned up I have had no issues with finding games.

Try hitting the options thing in the upper right on the main menu and seeing what data center you are connected to. It might be connecting you to some obscure one because of some weird routing. You can go into the games .ini file (on pc) and force it to connect to the bigger data centers like US East or West Europe.

frontovik

Banned
Matchmaking time is a hit or miss most of the time. Though I'm mostly concerned that its anti-cheat system still isn't effective enough to detect and infract hackers. I understand it's not 100% effective, but the results are discouraging for longevity.

wildfire

Banned
the matchmaking is the worst ever because it's slow.

Talk about a lack of perspective.

The worst match makers are those that create highly imbalanced teams and I don't even mean skill level.

I've played games where matches frequently started with a 1.5 to 1 outnumbered player ratio.

That's objectively the worse.

Also, I just checked and you are wrong on one account OP:

The game does take skill and rank into account for casual matchmaking.

And IIRC from the patch notes, it even tries to match similar party sizes against one another.

Matchmaking time is a hit or miss most of the time. Though I'm mostly concerned that its anti-cheat system still isn't effective enough to detect and infract hackers. I understand it's not 100% effective, but the results are discouraging for longevity.

Huh? Battleeye pretty much saved the game. Just last night my group saw a bunch of global battleye ban messages while playing so it is still catching people. Hacking is a non issue now.

Top Bottom