• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Michigan families get welfare for private colleges

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
Michigan redirects about $100 million annually in federal welfare money to college aid courtesy the Detroit Free Press.

A greater percentage of Albion students are receiving federal welfare money than those in the neighborhood surrounding the campus.

At Albion, 63 percent of in-state students receive a Michigan Competitive Scholarship or a Michigan Tuition Grant, college aid the students themselves might be surprised to learn is funded almost entirely with federal anti-poverty money. This at a college in which the median family income of students receiving financial aid is nearly $76,000.

That rate is also more than double the percentage of Albion students who were awarded a Pell Grant in the 2013-14 school year, which go to U.S. college students coming from the poorest of family backgrounds.

The use of federal welfare money to help more financially comfortable Michigan students attend pricey private schools is hardly confined to Albion.

Two-thirds of Michigan students at Calvin College benefit from welfare funds, even though the median family income of Calvin students getting financial aid is $85,000. Similar numbers emerge at Alma, Kettering, Hope, Olivet and other expensive schools.

In all, Michigan spends about $100 million annually in welfare money from Washington on college aid, including millions that benefit families earning over $100,000. This in a state in which only 18 of every 100 families living in poverty is receiving cash assistance.

How Michigan came to redirect welfare money, known officially as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or TANF, to help pay the tuition at expensive, private schools has its roots in two seismic events of the recent past. First, welfare reform, passed during the Clinton Administration 20 years ago, which gave states broad discretion in distributing anti-poverty funds. Second, the great recession of 2008, which led Lansing to divert tens of millions of dollars in anti-poverty money to student aid.

But after a decade in which Michigan has slashed cash assistance to the poor, some question the state’s generous approach to funding student aid with welfare money.

“We shouldn’t be paying for financial aid for upper-income students with money that should be going toward making a more robust safety net for poor people,” said Peter Ruark, senior policy analyst for the Michigan League for Public Policy, a nonpartisan Lansing-based group that advocates for the poor, which gathered income data on families obtaining welfare aid.

All told, Michigan has spent a billion dollars in federal welfare money since 2007 on scholarship programs for college students, many at private colleges where annual tuition can exceed $40,000. About 60 percent of students who get the aid come from families with incomes above $50,000.

At the same time, the state has cut TANF spending that goes directly to cash assistance for the poor by over $500 million.

Double effects of the submerged state and Clinton welfare reform.

mackattk

And just letting Detroit fall further and further into a shithole. Fuck this country sometimes.

Wouldn't say a minimum family income of 50k would be "rich"... Well off? Hell yeah. Them using funds meant for antipoverty is deplorable.

This in a state in which only 18 of every 100 families living in poverty is receiving cash assistance.

Geez. Didn't realize how much I lucked out. Came from a ~30k/yr household and actually ended up profiting off benefits my first few years in a Michigan public college (as in I made a couple grand each year after tuition expenses).

And just letting Detroit fall further and further into a shithole. Fuck this country sometimes.

Detroit overall has been getting better from what I've seen. Unless you're just meaning its state of education.

ZOONAMI

Wouldn't say a minimum family income of 50k would be "rich"... Well off? Hell yeah. Them using funds meant for antipoverty is deplorable.

50k is roughly the median household income and I would still consider 76k to be middle class, not "well off." Even a 100k household income doesn't go as far as you'd think with a few kids involved.

50k is roughly the median household income and I would still consider 76k to be middle class, not "well off." Even a 100k household income doesn't go as far as you'd think with a few kids involved.

Michigan's average is something like 45k. Making 66% more that is definetely 'well off'. Hell, I make just shy of 50k and I'm able to afford a nice condo in in the capital's downtown. Overall this is not an expensive state to live in.

mackattk

Was trying to keep in mind it's Michigan, and I don't know cost of living in that area. "Well off" could be a subjective turn anyway. Still that money should be going to people who could benefit from it more.

Rival

Gold Member
Well making 76k probably isn't enough to send a kid to a private school that costs 40k a year. It helps kids go to schools that in reality they actually couldn't afford to attend.

badrang

Lol at people thinking 100k is rich
100k is 5 times as much as my family made when I was growing up back in the late nineties. No one in my family today as ever made anywhere close to 100k, it might as well be rich.
Isn't 100k also double the national median income?

havokt

Michigan resident born and raised. My wife went to Albion. Combined we pull in $160,000. I am an attorney and she works in the mortgage industry.

I showed her the article and she laughed. She got the same financial aid around 2002. No one in a middle income family is affording Albion. Its starting price now is around 50k a year.

Let me know if you have any questions.

numble

Rich enough to pay for their own fucking kid's college.

That isn't rich enough to pay for private college.
$76k is $61.7k after taxes.

The colleges in the article:
Albion: Cost of Attendance: $48,035/year
Calvin College: Cost of Attendance: $45,270/year

ZOONAMI

Michigan's average is something like 45k. Making 66% more that is definetely 'well off'. Hell, I make just shy of 50k and I'm able to afford a nice condo in in the capital's downtown. Overall this is not an expensive state to live in.

Is that the average or the median? That is terrible for an average as high incomes distort it. In MN where I live the average is 75k and median is 58k.

But median doesn't just mean anything above that is rich. There are a lot of factors at play.

Pew research considers the middle class to be anywhere within 2/3 to 2x the median so for the us as a whole it's roughly 42k all the way up to $125k. Of course this will vary by region.

Is that the average or the mean? That is terrible for an average as high incomes distort it. In MN where I live the average is 75k and median is 58k.

But median doesn't just mean anything above that is rich. There are a lot of factors at play.

Pew research considers the middle class to be anywhere within 2/3 to 2x the median so for the us as a whole it's roughly 42k all the way up to $125k. Of course this will vary by region.

45k is the median. Making 75k the 'middle-class' per your sourced information. As someone who grew in poverty middle-class is definitely how I define well-off.

mackattk

Lol at people thinking 100k is rich and college is very expensive.

Who gives a shit? The antipoverty funds are going to them and not poor households.

If someone is saying that a household making 100k is in poverty, that is one thing. Whether 100k is rich or middle class doesn't have any relevance in the thread.

You make threads asking about renting timeshares off Ebay and come pretending you're money? Anyway, the fact people require financial aid/loans to go to college dictates it's expensive. I would have never been able to attend without financial aid.

Well, none of that money came close to myself or most of my fellow alma mater that graduated from the University of Michigan. Hell, I only knew of like one or two friends that received any money, and a lot of my friends parents made less than that. Nothing like having to use student loans to pay through college when you didn't get any aid or help...

Zoe

100k is 5 times as much as my family made when I was growing up back in the late nineties. No one in my family today as ever made anywhere close to 100k, it might as well be rich.

Median income doesn't take family size into account. The median for a 4-person family is 75k.

Why does this matter?

My dad was making around £60k (iirc more than 100k USD back in that period, 2016 gbp am cry) when I was going to university and I still got financial aid.

I didn't wan't to take any of my dad's money for Uni, so why should it matter? If I hadn't gotten financial aid I wouldn't have gone to Uni, simple as.

eggandI

Banned
100k might as well be rich for the majority of the country. Just because income inequality has reached obscene levels doesn't mean 100k is anything to scoff at.

Median income doesn't take family size into account. The median for a 4-person family is 75k.

22% of households are made up of 4+ people. Coincidentally, that is about as much of the country that makes over 100k a year.

mackattk

Why does this matter?

My dad was making around £60k (iirc more than 100k USD back in that period day, 2016 gbp am cry) when I was going to university and I still go financial aid.

I didn't wan't to take any of my dad's money for Uni, so why should it matter? If I hadn't gotten financial aid I wouldn't have gone to Uni, simple as.

At Albion, 63 percent of in-state students receive a Michigan Competitive Scholarship or a Michigan Tuition Grant, college aid the students themselves might be surprised to learn is funded almost entirely with federal anti-poverty money. This at a college in which the median family income of students receiving financial aid is nearly $76,000.

Was your family in poverty?

This has to be sarcasm. 100k in your eyes may not be rich, but for my family, that is an almost unobtainable number due to the straits they grew up in and are currently living in.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
76k household income is rich?

Some years ago I couldnt get an apt because it had income requirements. By myself I made too much. My kids mother by herself didnt make enough.

I made about 30,000 - 35,000. I forgot what she made. There should be income requirements for student aid. I thought there was.

I had 1 job making 45,000 a year and one making 96,000 a year. Its not rich but its a comfortable living. Especially the latter job. I wasnt qualified for alot of things. Student aid should have been one.

ZOONAMI

Some years ago I couldnt get an apt because it had income requirements. By myself I made too much. My kids mother by herself didnt make enough.

I made about 30, 000 - 35,000. I forgot what she made. There should be income requirements for student aid. I thought there was.

Low income housing is a different situation than a private college with tuition of more than 45k a year. Arguably these families making 76k should be sending their kids to public schools though, and not leaning on taxpayer money so their kids can go to an expensive private school.

My parents made slightly more than that around the time I went to college and I went to a public university with a 13k tuituon. Although now I think the u of mn is well over 20k.

My mistake was going to law school and dropping out and racking up 50k worth of student loans.

Xe4

Banned
To be honest, I don't think the government should fund grants and stuff to private colleges. If private companies and alumni funds want to help someone out, that's fine, but the government should not be supporting people going to rediculously expensive schools just for a title.

ZOONAMI

To be honest, I don't think the government should fund grants and stuff to private colleges. If private companies and alumni funds want to help someone out, that's fine, but the government should not be supporting people going to rediculously expensive schools just for a title.

This. Federal and state funding should go to public universities exclusively imo.

2real4tv

This has to be sarcasm. 100k in your eyes may not be rich, but for my family, that is an almost unobtainable number due to the straits they grew up in and are currently living in.

Sorry was a badly written post there are many wings to this just like most things to make it binary. Wont be able to write a more detailed post at least based from my life challenges/experiences until I get to a laptop.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Lol at 76k family being rich. You kids are delusional. Grow up, buy a house and have a couple of kids and tell me how far that 76k pre-tax gets you.

Hypron

I still find it crazy that universities can charge you like $50k/year. For the price of 1 year at a place like that, you can do a 4 years bachelor's, 1 year master's, and a 4 years self-funded PhD at my school.

Xe4

Banned
I still find it crazy that universities can charge you like $50k/year. For the price of 1 year at a place like that, you can do a 4 years bachelor's, 1 year master's, and a 4 years self-funded PhD at my school.
Yeah, it's dependant on the University. I actually get paid to go to school, when you take the scholarships into account. Pretty nifty.

Cagey

Banned
Doesn't mean it's wealthy. It's comfortable middle class living.

Middle class isn't median income. It's best understood as a pyramid and the "middle" class represents maybe the 5th-35th percentile.

Lol at 76k family being rich. You kids are delusional. Grow up, buy a house and have a couple of kids and tell me how far that 76k pre-tax gets you.

How intentionally dense can you be right now? It's like you lack the fundamental intelligence to understand the issue at hand as well as how much 76k is relative to POVERTY.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
76k is still clearly well off, and well above poverty income.

Obviously above poverty level, but between income taxes, Healthcare, Social Security, medicare, abd other related costs, you would be lucky to keep 55k of that... A family of 4 can obviously get by on that amount and not suffer, but to consider that "rich" is a dream of people without any experience in that income/financial responsibility.

Hell, I have 3 kids and one on the way, and could tell you for a fact that 76k would feel horrible to me.

x3sphere

Why are people debating whether 76k is wealthy? It's not, but that's the besides the point, welfare money shouldn't be going to people for purposes of attending very expensive schools.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
How intentionally dense can you be right now? It's like you lack the fundamental intelligence to understand the issue at hand as well as how much 76k is relative to POVERTY.

I never mentioned its relation to thr poverty level, just its relation to the nebulous term "rich", buddy.

On the subject of money going to middle class families, that is wrong to pay for high cost education.

A family of four earning 76k a year is not really well off. They make enough to live comfortably but any big expense will easily sink them. They certainly wont make enough money to foot college unless they receive some grants or scholarships. I have no problem with a family making that amount of money receiving aid for college as long as EVERYONE who is in a dire need of that money is served first.

WedgeX

Banned
A family of four earning 76k a year is not really well off. They make enough to live comfortably but any big expense will easily sink them. They certainly wont make enough money to foot college unless they receive some grants or scholarships. I have no problem with a family making that amount of money receiving aid for college as long as EVERYONE who is in a dire need of that money is served first.

Relevant is the effect of giving aid to middle class and above families from funds that were originally designed for families in poverty:

Michigan's low-income high school graduates enroll in college at lower levels than their wealthier, suburban peers. Those who do enroll are less likely to attend a four-year school, and more likely to drop out before earning a degree.

Closing that gap would provide an economic boost to Michigan, which currently ranks in the bottom half of states in adult college attainment. Michigan would need 287,328 more adults to hold a bachelor's degree or higher just to reach the national average. Those with a bachelor's degree earn, on average 70 percent more than those with a high school diploma ($1,108 per week versus $651 per week, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).

Because middle- and upper-income students already enroll in college at high rates, Michigan's best shot at increasing college attainment is to get more low-income students onto campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom