• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Great Teacher Onizuka

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
For years, I have meant to watch this show. Over the last week, I've finally gotten around to watch it with a group of about half a dozen other people, and although I'm only a bit into the second season, I can honestly say, it is one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.

At first, I despised Eikichi Onizuka as a person and as a teacher, but over the episodes, you come to love his completely unorthodox, unfiltered, and over-the-top method of imparting life lessons onto his students. Over time, student by student, piece by piece, you fall in love with the members of his classroom, as though they are members of a closely knit family, and you can't wait to see what kind of antics Onizuka and the gang get into.

10/10 show, a masterpiece.

MY CRESTA

It also has an amazing OP, and one of the best ending songs I've ever heard. I'm sad that they changed with season 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Y0XkSvQSI

If you haven't seen it, what the hell are you waiting for?

Jacob

Great show and one of my favorite anime comedies. It's been a while since I've watched it but Onizuka was a really memorable character and I loved see his development. The dub was honestly not that good but I'm personally fond of Steve Blum's performance. Agreed about the music too; it was surprisingly really good.

Baliis

Haven't really read the manga or seen the anime, but I remember enjoying the old live action drama that was like, 8 or 9 episodes or something?

Sneaker-Comedy-Club-gif-octobre-2016-1.gif

Line_HTX

I wonder how much money the Vice Principal had to pay in total for replacing that Cresta every single time, haha

FStubbs

Loved the original series, but they keep bringing it back and it keeps getting a little worse.

Bad Company and Shonan Junai Gumi were the predecessors to GTO and they're not bad but GTO is king.

(It was a huge plot twist that Onizuka became a teacher of all things ...)

GaimeGuy

Loved the original series, but they keep bringing it back and it keeps getting a little worse.

Bad Company and Shonan Junai Gumi were the predecessors to GTO and they're not bad but GTO is king.

(It was a huge plot twist that Onizuka became a teacher of all things ...)

Huh, GTO is actually a sequel?

I wonder how much money the Vice Principal had to pay in total for replacing that Cresta every single time, haha
That man has such a sad life.

One of my favorite animes. The way I found was pretty funny. It used to come on showtime back in the early 2000s and I confused it with initial d for some odd reason.
Huh, GTO is actually a sequel?
Yea, in the prequel to it onizuka is with his buddy that owns the cycle shop/garage and they're "gangsters".

Read Shonan Junai Gumi OP. It's on par or even better than GTO imo. It's about Onizuka and Danma in highschool and came before GTO.
It's super long and hilariously amazing.
Probably my favorite manga ever.

Oh man, its been so long. I remember seeing the first airing back in Japan not a clue what was going on but was still fun to watch.

Thanks OP, gotta watch it for real now.

Clipse

I still regret selling my complete GTO manga set years ago. Wish it was easy and cheap to re-buy, but AFAIK no one has the license anymore.

Mortemis

Banned
GTO is definitely one of the best I've seen/read. The manga is amazing, I remember checking out volumes from my local library as a kid and now I'm slowly buying all the volumes.

Been trying to get into Shonan Junai Gumi but it's a little expensive to get all the volumes. Gonna start slowly buying them once i get the whole GTO set.

brau

oh yea! GTO Is amazing. I am glad you enjoyed it OP. Its truly a classic, and you gotta love the intro "Drivers High" song.

anyone read the prequel manga? Is it worth reading? I watched GTO some years back and loved it, I still plan on reading the manga at some point (probably soon)

Umibozu

anyone read the prequel manga? Is it worth reading? I watched GTO some years back and loved it, I still plan on reading the manga at some point (probably soon)
I own the first ten volumes of shonan junai gumi which got released by tokyo pop. It wasn't good, surprised to see others here say otherwise. Must've gotten better after the volumes I had.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I loved the manga (for the most part). How closely does the anime follow it?

Kurita

Technically GTO is the sequel to that manga since it was published way before.
It's cool.

On topic, the GTO anime is the first anime I've ever watched (well outside of Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh) so I'm really attached to it. I really enjoyed the French dub, never seen in Japanese actually. I prefer the manga overall, but the anime's OST was honestly amazing.
Some of my favorite tracks :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZwb12g5xs8
https://youtu.be/VvUDZjPrI_0
https://youtu.be/ShOZ7qWZghs (the track is literally called "Open your butthole")
https://youtu.be/FIenWiNVfWE

Also, the 1st opening was my gateway to Japanese music so I'm grateful for that.

It's my probably my favorite manga. And technically GTO is the sequel to it. I highly reccomend it, but it's tough to get a hold of all of the volumes.

vikki

10/10 show, a masterpiece.
My favorite anime. Unfortunately, I think the first half is better than the second, and it ends maybe a little abruptly, but it's still worth it to finish. I think GTO did such a good job moving from one episode to the next that it is easy to binge. I didn't necessarily hate Onizuka to begin with, but he was clearly flawed. And I too love Drivers High opening, fantastic.

MY CRESTA

You son-of-a-bitch, you got me.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Did anyone read the sequel? Or was it sequels? I lost track after GTO.

bjork

I liked the anime well enough, but the manga is king. Those chapters where it's Onizuka's crooked cop buddy are some of my favorites.

The anime was so tame compared to the manga. I watched the anime after reading all of that manga and it feels kinda like a kids show to me.

Im not sure when the anime ran, but some jokes didnt even make it into the tv-show.

Firemind

There are a lot of fistpump moments, but my favourite fistpump moment is when Urumi falls off a rooftop and is content with dying, but then her face turns to visibly shocked when Onizuka runs vertically down the building to save her. Then he became her favourite toy. It gets even crazier in the manga, but all told, she's one hell of a yandere.

GaimeGuy

finished the anime.

That was worse than a BONES ending. Studio Pierrot you suck. :(

Jiraiza

Modern anime just doesn't have the side-hurting comedy you'd find in GTO which kinda sucks. GTO is funny as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom