• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama ending policy granting residency to Cubans who enter USA without visas

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is interesting to talk with non-White Hispanics on their opinion of this policy and how they believe Cuban-Americans view other Hispanics. The conversations are telling and shows that this policy is considered unfair and outdated.

It's fascinating to me, they vote for the party that does not support handouts while receiving a pretty big handout of immigration. I wonder if voting patterns will change to reflect self interests.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't agree with telling a whole community to go fuck itself. There are innocents and other people in that community that have differing opinions.

The opinion of the majority of that community? The people that believe people from their home or ancestral country are the only ones that in a similar situation are allowed to easily immigrate? The ones in that community that voted for someone that wanted to keep all the other people of your same ethnic group out of the country while believing and demanding that your people get the only preferential treatment?

Well yeah, those specific people can get bent.

Darknight

Yep, just one... on a quick scan.

Yeah, let's just shit on a community because a plurality of them vote Republican, and were successful. And all of GAF? No, but let's be honest, Cubans are the Hispanic minority that it's 'ok' to shit all over by people who would be up in fucking arms, and rightly so if similar generalizations were thrown at Venezuelans, Mexicans, Nicaraguans, and the like. And this isn't the first time either.

Cubans arent the only hispanic group that is this way. I've met people who are immigrants from Salvador or Ecuador that dislike that other hispanic people are "moving up". (getting a GC/naturalized) It makes me sick because we are on the same fucking boat. We all should be proud when one of us from the outside makes it "in".

Sadly we live in a shitty ass world where there are alot of spiteful assholes and can be the nicest person you know in person. Deep down they have hate in their heart dont know why.

The thing with Cubans is that they have the potential to help the hispanic community rise above this shit but chose (not all but a lot) to side with the wrong side and attack people from similar backgrounds. (trying to migrate to US from war torn countries, cartels, gangs, no jobs, better lives for their kids etc etc) That makes people like me pissed.

Sure if Mexico had a buddy buddy relations with US and had special privileges yet everyone was screwed out of such benefits, you'd bet your ass we would be pissed at them as well. In reality Mexican immigrants get the worst when trying to immigrate to the US. (virtually hard to naturalize i assume due to influx of them from the past?) As you know there are a few countries that have the TPS thing or some people from other countries have a path to a green card due to some weird ass old laws. (and Cubans their own)

So no, GAF doesnt just shit on Cubans just cause. There is a reason to dislike who they have chosen to align with all these years. So them losing their ace card hopefully will humble them more and think more about their actions going forward, that is all.

One anecdote, there are far right assholes at my job. Damn wish I could record the shit they say all day but I remember how they were shitting on Cubans one day. Something about Cubans being "wanna be whites" or not "real white people" like them. You see, this is why it pisses me off Cubans support the republican party because you know behind their backs, the racists dont give a fuck about them and literally use them just for their votes. When they dont consider a white hispanic that leans right "white" enough, its time to think who you are supporting.

EMT0

Banned
It was a direct comparison.
Perhaps people believe taking vacations and smoking cigars (and foreign investment) will improve the people like it has done so for many countries.

I always figured ending the embargo was to try and pull a 1972 Nixon in China move; normalize relations, tie them into your economic web, slowly liberalize their institutions. Except the big difference here would be that America would likely come to dominate Cuba's economy once more and produce a US-aligned state like in ye olden days.

Trojita

I always figured ending the embargo was to try and pull a 1972 Nixon in China move; normalize relations, tie them into your economic web, slowly liberalize their institutions. Except the big difference here would be that America would likely come to dominate Cuba's economy once more and produce a US-aligned state like in ye olden days.

Your description is the most app. The wording on their original post might have been callous, but it was a micro view in comparison to your macro view.

One anecdote, there are far right assholes at my job. Damn wish I could record the shit they say all day but I remember how they were shitting on Cubans one day. Something about Cubans being "wanna be whites" or not "real white people" like them. You see, this is why it pisses me off Cubans support the republican party because you know behind their backs, the racists dont give a fuck about them and literally use them just for their votes. When they dont consider a white hispanic that leans right "white" enough, its time to think who you are supporting.

That to me is mind blowing. I would say all the time in college, "I hope these white-Hispanics know that they are not considered White by anyone that would actually care about calling out their race/ethnicity/whatever."

On my college campus you had two Hispanic student groups, one that included everyone and another that limited itself just to White-Hispanics and only gave leadership positions to White-Hispanics. And I keep tab on some of them now that we all graduated. One proudly posted about his support for Trump before the election, but he got so much crap for it afterwards he just stopped talking about politics. A lot of, "Wow dude and I thought you cared about people. Why would you vote for someone that said x,y, and z thing about people that look like you and me?"

numble

I made a hypothetical example to illustrate a point. What's your problem with that?

Because I don't see how the point makes sense? Please explain the point you are trying to make. People wanting to normalize trade relations with Cuba is similar to people upset over lack of dim sum when all Chinese people in the United States are deported? I don't see what point you are illustrating?

Karkador

Banned
Because I don't see how the point makes sense? Please explain the point you are trying to make. People wanting to normalize trade relations with Cuba is similar to people upset over lack of dim sum when all Chinese people in the United States are deported? I don't see what point you are illustrating?

That's not the comparison I made. I'll explain it again.

I was asked about Venezuela, so I responded about that. I then said Cuba was like that; a similar situation with its leadership and how elsewhere here handwave its failings.

But along with that, the tragedy of the fallout in Cuba, and it's impending reopening, get talked about by people in self-serving terms of vacations and cigars, not the human cost and lives displaced.

Do you see how that trivializes what happened? Hence the example, "it would be like if we deported every Chinese person in America (in case this needs explaining, that would be a terrible thing with a big human cost), and the only thought in people's minds is wondering how they'll eat dim sum (a traditional Chinese food, in case that needed explaining)". It would trivialize the matter, which is what I feel goes on when people talk about Cuba.

Clearer now?

numble

That's not the comparison I made. I'll explain it again.

I was asked about Venezuela, so I responded about that. I then said Cuba was like that; a similar situation with its leadership and how elsewhere here handwave its failings.

But along with that, the tragedy of the fallout in Cuba, and it's impending reopening, get talked about by people in self-serving terms of vacations and cigars, not the human cost and lives displaced.

Do you see how that trivializes what happened? Hence the example, "it would be like if we deported every Chinese person in America (in case this needs explaining, that would be a terrible thing with a big human cost), and the only thought in people's minds is wondering how they'll eat dim sum (a traditional Chinese food, in case that needed explaining)". It would trivialize the matter, which is what I feel goes on when people talk about Cuba.

Clearer now?

There is a human cost and lives displaced to normalizing trade relations? It usually has been the opposite--a human benefit and lives improved--when trade relations are normalized.

Normalizing trade relations is not harming the people like deporting Chinese people would actually cause harm.

LAtoDC

Neo Member
Fun story on this:

I worked on Hillary's campaign in Florida this cycle (not so fun of a story), and was stationed at an early voting site in Hialeah in Miami. The community is predominantly Cuban and Republican, but I was out doing voter protection and at the time, was intrigued by the amount of Trump supporters there.

After showing up in my Hillary swag, I was immediately swarmed by about 25 Trump supporters who began yelling in my face and attempting to intimidate me. After brushing them off, I noticed about 15 folks dressed in "Cubanos para Trump" t shirts chanting "Build the Wall! Build the Wall!"

I am originally from California and of Mexican descent, and to see an immigrant community chant this shocked me. I went up to the leader of the group, told him my background and asked calmly, "Can you explain this to me?"

His response? "We had to travel shark infested waters to get here. Mexicans only have to cross a 2,000 mile border. We escaped communism and will not allow this country to become communist. We work in our communities, Mexicans don't."

I followed up with, "So escaping drug cartel violence and human trafficking doesnt count in your mind?"

He dead panned looked at me and said, "Give me a break."

I for one am happy POTUS has done this. No other immigrant group in our country receives this special treatment, and the complete lack of empathy displayed that day was appalling.

Karkador

Banned
There is a human cost and lives displaced to normalizing trade relations? It usually has been the opposite--a human benefit and lives improved--when trade relations are normalized.

Normalizing trade relations is not harming the people like deporting Chinese people would actually cause harm.

You're not reading what I'm saying.

numble

You're not reading what I'm saying.

How am I not reading what you are saying?

You are comparing being in support of something that likely provides benefits and improvement to the Cuban people, with some minor side benefits for Americans personally, with being upset about a minor side benefit for something that is harmful for Chinese people.

Karkador

Banned
How am I not reading what you are saying?

You are comparing being in support of something that likely provides benefits and improvement to the Cuban people, with some minor side benefits for Americans personally, with being upset about a minor side benefit for something that is harmful for Chinese people.

Again, that's not what I said. You are likely being willfully obtuse. I have clearly explained what I was talking about.

numble

Again, that's not what I said. You are likely being willfully obtuse. I have clearly explained what I was talking about.

A selfish attitude favoring something that also benefits a people, is not comparable to a selfish attitude towards something harming a people. In any event, both of those selfish attitudes lead to a generally good outcome (supporting relations with Cuba, opposing deportation of Chinese people), so what is the problem with it?

There is nothing willfully obtuse about it.

Fun story on this:

I worked on Hillary's campaign in Florida this cycle (not so fun of a story), and was stationed at an early voting site in Hialeah in Miami. The community is predominantly Cuban and Republican, but I was out doing voter protection and at the time, was intrigued by the amount of Trump supporters there.

After showing up in my Hillary swag, I was immediately swarmed by about 25 Trump supporters who began yelling in my face and attempting to intimidate me. After brushing them off, I noticed about 15 folks dressed in "Cubanos para Trump" t shirts chanting "Build the Wall! Build the Wall!"

I am originally from California and of Mexican descent, and to see an immigrant community chant this shocked me. I went up to the leader of the group, told him my background and asked calmly, "Can you explain this to me?"

His response? "We had to travel shark infested waters to get here. Mexicans only have to cross a 2,000 mile border. We escaped communism and will not allow this country to become communist. We work in our communities, Mexicans don't."

I followed up with, "So escaping drug cartel violence and human trafficking doesnt count in your mind?"

He dead panned looked at me and said, "Give me a break."

I for one am happy POTUS has done this. No other immigrant group in our country receives this special treatment, and the complete lack of empathy displayed that day was appalling.

lol..Sorry for laughing, but this sounds all too familiar. My pops actually had a farm where he had about 20 of your countrymen (many women and children) living on the property..had kind of a strip of apartments attached to the main house. Hardcore Republican, to the point of writing Reagan. He saw their struggle as his struggle. They paid nothing to be there. He just asked for help around the farm.

I remember the difference in tone from my dad and the city I was growing up in (Miami). I was made responsible for looking after a Mexican kid and kinda showing him the ropes around school..helped that I spoke Spanish and the teachers really didn't know how to deal with him..I WAS SEVEN. Like, what the fuck?

He caught an onslaught of abuse from the Cuban kids. I never understood it. I knew he sounded a little different, but he still spoke a language we all understood. Yet, he was this "thing" to be angry at. Again, it was a sentiment that I grew to notice among those I spent so much time with. Always bizarre, but I started to understand.

As I grew older, the story never really changed, just the faces. It went from hating this dude (Francisco Navarro..miss you, my friend), to an Ecuadorian family just moving in the neighborhood. To an influx of Haitians. To just..ANYONE who was deemed different..and it always rubbed me wrong.

No one was here for a handout. These folks were all running for there lives to a country that had hope and promises. They were trying to escape the madness they were trapped in, like anyone else who takes these insane voyages here. They were hard workers, and take no shit parents, trying to teach their kids the same values you'd teach your own.

The fact that anyone that has gone through such trials would shit on another human being knowing they went through a similar situation? That shit always made me bitter..

For all my father's kindness, I lost him to one of these people he cared for. Can't say I didn't have a resentment towards them for a time..I was just a kid, and was surrounded by people trying to blame the whole of Mexico for his death. In the end though, I moved passed all that. These are people in need. We shouldn't be from the same place to empathise with each other..we're all human beings.

Again, sorry for laughing. Even more sorry you went through that bs. Just know that caring people are out there, man..don't let shit like that get you down..

Trojita

Fun story on this:

lol..Sorry for laughing, but this sounds all too familiar. My pops actually had a farm where he had about 20 of your countrymen (many women and children) living on the property..had kind of a strip of apartments attached to the main house. Hardcore Republican, to the point of writing Reagan. He saw their struggle as his struggle. They paid nothing to be there. He just asked for help around the farm.

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Damn, Shumway that is a sad story. If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your father?

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Damn, Shumway that is a sad story. If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your father?

Was shot dead by the cook (my dad did the bulk of it, but he was an old mother..needed help feeding all them folks) and robbed after a party he threw. He had a lot of cash around. You could drive a couple of miles to grab sodas and beer or you could just roll through his spot..he was a good man always trying to help people out.

Trojita

Was shot dead by the cook (my dad did the bulk of it, but he was an old mother..needed help feeding all them folks) and robbed after a party he threw. He had a lot of cash around. You could drive a couple of miles to grab sodas and beer or you could just roll through his spot..he was a good man always trying to help people out.

Damn, sorry to hear this. It's been a lot of year I figure since it happened, but my condolences. He sounded like great man and you should keep feeling proud about him.

Nephtis

As a Mexican immigrant, I have been blessed to be mostly shielded from the bigotry of fellow Latinos. Living in Arizona, it's easy to see why; if any tried to pull that kind of shit, they would likely end up with a black eye or a few broken bones.

Having said that, I have noticed that a lot of Cubans pride themselves in integrating and assimilating the American community a lot easier than others - even moreso than Puerto Ricans. I mean, it's great that they can do that - but they often look down on us for not being able to do the same.

Well, if all most Mexicans had to do was get into the country to gain residency, you bet we could easily do so too. Cubans often think they're the only ones that know what suffering is, what it's like to struggle to survive. They think that America owes them a good life here because they escaped hell. I've not personally experienced, but I have heard that Puerto Ricans are far friendlier to Mexicans and are much more understanding -- even if they too sometimes have a problem with us.

I have met Puerto Ricans and Cubans - and have become great friends. They're hardworking, honest people. So I can't tell the Cuban community to go fuck themselves. However, I do hope that now with these changes, they start to see that we all have our pains and struggles and we're all in this together.

Pastulio

Banned
Funny, that's what could be said for the Cuban Community. Say that to a group a Nicaraguans, Venezuelans, Dominicans, any non-white hispanic cuban...

The hell you talking about? Why would I say that to someone who doesnt deserve it? My comment was directed at this one person, in no way did it represent the Cuban Community or was it directed at any other Latin community. Don't paint it as anything more than me lashing out an asshole.

Dai101

Banned

I remember the difference in tone from my dad and the city I was growing up in (Miami). I was made responsible for looking after a Mexican kid and kinda showing him the ropes around school..helped that I spoke Spanish and the teachers really didn't know how to deal with him..I WAS SEVEN. Like, what the fuck?

He caught an onslaught of abuse from the Cuban kids. I never understood it. I knew he sounded a little different, but he still spoke a language we all understood. Yet, he was this "thing" to be angry at. Again, it was a sentiment that I grew to notice among those I spent so much time with. Always bizarre, but I started to understand.

As I grew older, the story never really changed, just the faces. It went from hating this dude (Francisco Navarro..miss you, my friend), to an Ecuadorian family just moving in the neighborhood. To an influx of Haitians. To just..ANYONE who was deemed different..and it always rubbed me wrong.

No one was here for a handout. These folks were all running for there lives to a country that had hope and promises. They were trying to escape the madness they were trapped in, like anyone else who takes these insane voyages here. They were hard workers, and take no shit parents, trying to teach their kids the same values you'd teach your own.

The fact that anyone that has gone through such trials would shit on another human being knowing they went through a similar situation? That shit always made me bitter..

For all my father's kindness, I lost him to one of these people he cared for. Can't say I didn't have a resentment towards them for a time..I was just a kid, and was surrounded by people trying to blame the whole of Mexico for his death. In the end though, I moved passed all that. These are people in need. We shouldn't be from the same place to empathise with each other..we're all human beings.

Again, sorry for laughing. Even more sorry you went through that bs. Just know that caring people are out there, man..don't let shit like that get you down..

Damn... Gordon, carnal... Thats rough.

Your jefe was a man among men. We need more line him.

Glad to see that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

You're a good man Gordon. Keep being line that.

Lol they are more functional than plenty of places in the US. At least healthcare wise. Imagine what could it be without sanctions.

One can only imagine.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
It is interesting to talk with non-White Hispanics on their opinion of this policy and how they believe Cuban-Americans view other Hispanics. The conversations are telling and shows that this policy is considered unfair and outdated.

It's fascinating to me, they vote for the party that does not support handouts while receiving a pretty big handout of immigration. I wonder if voting patterns will change to reflect self interests.

It should!

I'd imagine the begrudging towards Democrats and their "leniency towards the Castro regime" that older generations of refugees have passed down to their families would diminish now that Cuban newcomers are about to be rained on by the same Republican shitstorn that's been raining on Mexicans and other immigrants.

And obviously, cunning Reps like Rubio will love to keep the fire of resentment alive and fanned since that's the biggest sure-fire vote-bait against Dems who typically wanna reach out to modern day Cuba.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You must have misread my post, because I meant Raul Castro

I thought you were saying that the president then was Fidel and was now, which isn't really true. And actually, even if you meant Raul Castro, we were both wrong.

According to Wikipedia, the president of the Republic from 1959 until 1976 was Osvaldo Dorticós Torrado.

Oscar

trump will probably reverse this to win him some votes from the cuban community in 2020.
I haven't looked up the data, but I'd bet the Cuban community mostly voted for Trump/are Republican.

Trump reversing this wouldn't change much regarding those voters IMO.

Blue Lou

I didn't see this thread. I opened a new topic and ModBot directed me here.

If you're desperate enough to flee your homeland as the man in the above article was, it was a help but also a incentive to risk life of yourself and loved ones.

I'm a bit reluctant to admit it (no one likes to talk politics) but to me, it seemed quite dystopian and wouldn't have looked out of place in The Running Man. It's akin to an entertainment show where if the participant doesn't get caught by people (i.e. a non-lethal stalker) or die en route, they win the right to stay.

Eidan

Considering how many Floridian Cubans I've personally met who are such hardliners on immigration, I'm sure they'll be very supportive of this measure.

I'm surprised by how many Cubans are OK with this. My Cuban co-workers are all for this repeal. They were explaining to me all the different ways Cubans game the system. So they were glad it was being removed.

I'm surprised by how many Cubans are OK with this. My Cuban co-workers are all for this repeal. They were explaining to me all the different ways Cubans game the system. So they were glad it was being removed.

Fuck You Got Mine.

I've seen this sort of attitude among more Conservative minded Italian descendants.

The Liberal ones are more understanding towards history, facts and can relate towards newer immigrants.

But the Conservative ones, LOL: ''Fuck You Got Mine! I Integrated! Why can't you? Fuck You!''

I have many Italian descendant friends, some Liberal, some Conservative.
The Conservative ones though OH LOL they are really enamored with Trump. Probably reminds them of the Duce

Kinda glad I've never heard any anti-immigration or anti-Mexican sentiment in my own (Cuban) family, despite them being pretty dang conservative.

IrishNinja

Yeah, let's just shit on a community because a plurality of them vote Republican, and were successful. And all of GAF? No, but let's be honest, Cubans are the Hispanic minority that it's 'ok' to shit all over by people who would be up in fucking arms, and rightly so if similar generalizations were thrown at Venezuelans, Mexicans, Nicaraguans, and the like. And this isn't the first time either.

i saw that one guy get out of line with the "fuck y'all" and a few others co-sign it, but: do you really believe it's only the cuban community that gets shat on? that...is an odd statement.

The Cuban American community, centered in Florida, has a track record with being hypocritical of attempted immigration by other Latin Americans. There is going to be resentment by other Latin American people.

they absolutely have, but even the circumstances that brought so many here are particularly unique even compared to say, nicaraguans also fleeing a murderous regime.

if we're really gonna get meta about this: historically speaking, i don't think many european groups immigrating here long before did a tremendous amount for other said groups either, no? especially those not seen as "white" at the time

I don't agree with telling a whole community to go fuck itself. There are innocents and other people in that community that have differing opinions.

The opinion of the majority of that community? The people that believe people from their home or ancestral country are the only ones that in a similar situation are allowed to easily immigrate? The ones in that community that voted for someone that wanted to keep all the other people of your same ethnic group out of the country while believing and demanding that your people get the only preferential treatment?

Well yeah, those specific people can get bent.

also agree with a lot of this as well

Cubans arent the only hispanic group that is this way. I've met people who are immigrants from Salvador or Ecuador that dislike that other hispanic people are "moving up". (getting a GC/naturalized) It makes me sick because we are on the same fucking boat. We all should be proud when one of us from the outside makes it "in".

Sadly we live in a shitty ass world where there are alot of spiteful assholes and can be the nicest person you know in person. Deep down they have hate in their heart dont know why.

The thing with Cubans is that they have the potential to help the hispanic community rise above this shit but chose (not all but a lot) to side with the wrong side and attack people from similar backgrounds. (trying to migrate to US from war torn countries, cartels, gangs, no jobs, better lives for their kids etc etc) That makes people like me pissed.

Sure if Mexico had a buddy buddy relations with US and had special privileges yet everyone was screwed out of such benefits, you'd bet your ass we would be pissed at them as well. In reality Mexican immigrants get the worst when trying to immigrate to the US. (virtually hard to naturalize i assume due to influx of them from the past?) As you know there are a few countries that have the TPS thing or some people from other countries have a path to a green card due to some weird ass old laws. (and Cubans their own)

So no, GAF doesnt just shit on Cubans just cause. There is a reason to dislike who they have chosen to align with all these years. So them losing their ace card hopefully will humble them more and think more about their actions going forward, that is all.

everyone has their bubbles, but at least the younger cuban community out here - even those that lean right, i figure they've gotta know the GOP's base doesn't consider them white in the slightest

damn man, just wanted to thank you for sharing this story. your old man sounds like he was an amazing person.

Shit dude...thank you for sharing this

Feel free to share, I'm intrigued.

All just list the examples I remember from what they told me:

1. Thea last 5-10 years you have many Cubans arriving to Miami that they flatly say that they came to America for economic prosperity but they love Cuba and have no problems with the government. A lot of these Cubans get to America and work whatever job while getting everything free from the government, after a few years they return to Cuba with a lot of money.

2. After getting to America many Cubans go to countries like Spain and get dual citizenship and travel back and fourth from Cuba all the time.

3. A lot of Cubans come to America get a pension go back to Cuba and then somehow they live the rest of their lives getting that American pension while in Cuba.

Those are 3 examples that I remember from what they told me, there where a couple more examples but I don't remember them all.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom