• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata has one of the best demos in quite a while

Squire

Banned
So, Kotaku did a video analysis of the demo for NieR: Automata. I love academic looks at games like this and I was gonna just bump the previous demo thread, but it's pretty dead now and I think this deserves all the attention it can get. Just this demo alone is a really well composed experience and it set my hype for this game into overdrive.

https://youtu.be/SzqjLrCGqTs

You can also read a transcript of the video on Kotaku itself:

http://kotaku.com/up-close-with-the...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

I also want to again link another video I posted in the demo thread: Mark Brown's video on depth, mastery, Vanquish, and really the genius of many of Platinum's games in general:

https://youtu.be/IG8LVpuzYls

I think it's really exciting to think about the fact that both Yoko Taro and PG design their games to be played multiple times. PG wants players of every skill level to enjoy themselves and improve over time. Yoko wants to tell compelling stories with multiple endings, and subvert the players expectations. They're both really compelling styles that I think will mix together very well.

So yeah. There's totally more going on with this game than basic combos and panty shots.

P.S.
Consider this the "You're buying it, right?" thread

It's a nice demo that summarizes what to expect in terms of general Weaknesses and Strengths and what it does differently from other platinum games.

T.O.P

Banned
Hell yes, made me pre order the game instantly, have no fuckin clue what Nier is about whatsoever tho lol

pezzie

My favorite demo since probably FF8's. I'm not a huge Platinum guy but this one clicked hard and I'm looking forward moreso to the RPG elements mixed in with this great combat.

Will definitely get this on PS4, may double dip for PC when it goes on sale there.

EDIT: Just figured what the hell and preordered the game. Amazon Prime's 20% discount and my credit card amazon reward cards just made this a $20 day 1 buy for myself.

luffxan

Hell yes, made me pre order the game instantly, have no fuckin clue what Nier is about whatsoever tho lol

Same here haha, have only seen about 30min of SBFP running through Nier but whatever. First day one purchase since Overwatch.

For those who are still not sure what segment of the game is being presented in the demo, it was recently revealed to take place 'roughly in the beginning, though not at the very start.' (Paraphrased)

Nephtes

Actually, the Nier Automata demo convinced me not to buy the game.
I really didn't enjoy the aesthetic of the robots or how often the game took control of the 3rd person camera away from me. It felt quite jarring to be able to move the camera freely one moment, and the next to be forced to top down view, or side scrolling.
I did find the combat to be enjoyable when I could freely operate the camera though, so that's good.
Also, I wasn't expecting it to be a psuedo-bullet hell game.
Moreover, fighting the demo's boss was tedious in the worst way.

Which is too bad really... I wanted to like it.
I think the concept of androids vs. robots in a Big O styled world would be cool...

I did a more detailed write-up in the Nier demo thread.
Conversely, Gravity Rush 2's demo absolutely sold me on that game.

Story of two demos I guess.

But no, I'm not buying Nier Automata after playing the demo.

I've played through it 5 times. My most anticipated game this year next to Persona 5.

Thanks for the link also OP, she actually pronounces Automata correctly.

I can't wait for this fucking game.

I am just so stoked that we are actually getting a sequel! Still haven't even played the demo since I wanna go in fresh.

TheTux

Not a Nier/PG/Action games fan and I fell in love with the game when I played the demo.

My main reasons:
  • Felt really fluid (60 fps if I'm not mistaken)
  • Beautiful animations
  • Story looks more interesting than I expected. I expected pretty much nothing tbh
  • Combat is interesting, love how there is melee and ranged combat at the same time and am curious to see how other characters play

It's sad that they announced a PC version of the game but not when it'll be released :(.

It was already a purchase for me from the day it was announced. The first gameplay trailers upped it to a possible day one purchase, and the demo has me thinking of using a sick day to experience this.

Gonna go back through Nier again before it releases.

hydruxo

It was definitely a fun demo, it did a great job of showing off the gameplay. The environment in the demo is pretty boring though, I think they should've picked a different location for the demo.

TissueBox

I think the demo was a great showcase of the really fun gameplay and brooding atmosphere, but that's probably more to do with just how plain robustly the game is designed than the demo. The PG magic + that Yoko Taro touch seems almost too perfect atm.

Squire

Banned
I think the demo was a great showcase of the really fun gameplay and brooding atmosphere, but that's probably more to do with just how plain robustly the game is designed than the demo. The PG magic + that Yoko Taro touch seems almost too perfect atm.

Oh totally. I'm speaking about the demo in the OP, but I have almost every confidence the full game will ultimately read the same way.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I really didn't enjoy the aesthetic of the robots or how often the game took control of the 3rd person camera away from me. It felt quite jarring to be able to move the camera freely one moment, and the next to be forced to top down view, or side scrolling.
I did find the combat to be enjoyable when I could freely operate the camera though, so that's good.

I think the concept of androids vs. robots in a Big O styled world would be cool...

I'm 100% with you (both about Nier and GR2 heh). I hated the demo and I never want to touch that game. Utterly boring (that boss fight was dreadful and yes, very tedious), all flash and no substance to the combat, the constant camera changes were annoying, and it's also quite ugly. Definitely getting GR2 at some point though, I'm enjoying GRM right now (a bit LTTP).

I guess, in a way, it's a good demo; it probably showcases what the game is about rather well. Hah.

Švejk

Absolutely had a blast with the demo. Took me by surprise. I was so thirsty for more, I attempted the harder levels. (which I never do on any game)

Otherwise yeah.... got mine pre-ordered.

Is this going to have pre-loading?

El-Suave

I liked the demo and will get the game day one, but the Kotaku video is overanalyzing a lot of stuff. Many demos have done these things before in terms of escalation and introduction to mechanics, it's just that we're not used to demos anymore. You also shouldn't start your video saying this was the best demo ever in a world where Nioh had three (!) excellent trials recently.

En-ou

that's terrible. i on the other hand am capable of enjoying any style of game as long as they are executed well. and the majority would agree Nier Automata nails it's unique execution.

what really got my interest was the fluidity of the movement and combat, the camera work and the genre shifts.

and must say - love the music. combined with the setting it reminds me a lot of Ghost in the Shell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA-5d0DkjGA

I thought the demo was pretty weak overall (especially that awful boss fight). I was initially stricken by how fluid it was to control, but everything else around it was lacking.

I made this on mobile, but I'll put some in the OP when I can.

Feel free to post some favs. I can just edit your post in if you do that.

Is this gif ok?

Probably nsfw.

giphy.gif

Yup. People always talk about how demos hurt game sales and while that may be true the reception to this and RE7's demo make me think they could definitly improve sales.

Ralemont

not me
Demo unsold me on the game for reasons listed above. I suppose that's not necessarily a comment on the demo though.

ChrisD

I thought I was fighting the boss wrong. Reading the "tedious boss" posts, it looks like I'm not just dumb and or bad at this game.

sanstesy

The RE7 and Nioh demos are way better quality-wise but the NieR demo is probably more surprising for people not in touch with past Platinum Games efforts.

Squire

Banned
Is this gif ok?

Probably nsfw.

giphy.gif

The animation in the game is incredible and worthy of note, which is while I'll throw some gifs up, but this is really a thread about the actual design of the game. There's been enough discourse on 2b's panties. There'll probably be more, but someone else can make that thread.

It might be the first pure action RPG (excluding games like bloodborne that are more action than RPG) with good combat, so theres that.

Granted I havent played Dragon's Dogma and I've heard enough good things about that combat that I want to get to it eventually.

Griss

This was exactly my experience. It seems pretty good, pretty well made, but it's not something I think I'd hugely enjoy.

BossLackey

Gold Member
It was definitely a fun demo, it did a great job of showing off the gameplay. The environment in the demo is pretty boring though, I think they should've picked a different location for the demo.

Couldn't agree more. I'm really hoping the rest of the game doesn't look like that.

Amirnol

Demo definitely sold me on the game, although I was already interested in checking it out at some point. Wish there were more demos like this for games. Like Yakuza 0 which sounds interesting but I really wish I could play a bit of it before committing $80.

Squire

Banned
Wut
Soulsborne games, Nioh, Dragon's Dogma, Ys games, Monster Hunter, Xanadu Next, Dragon's Crown, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir...

The bolded is what I've played, myself. 100% agreed that this feels way way better. That's not even to say those games are bad. (Dragon's Crown though, that game is a little bad.)

Wut
Soulsborne games, Nioh, Dragon's Dogma, Ys games, Monster Hunter, Xanadu Next, Dragon's Crown, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir...
Soulsborne to me is far more action than RPG. Ys games have ok combat, monster hunter is ok (and a weird take on RPG with it all being gear based and not character progresstion), Dragon's crown combat is ok, Ive only played the OG odin sphere so far

Actually games like Bloodborne are more RPG than action.

For now I see more action than RPG in Nier Automata.
I did specify "might". The demo was definitely action, but everything theyve talked about points to it being very RPG. Sure its really grey, but I've never found Bloodborne to be very RPG. Feels like an action game with a stat system tacked on. Not tacked on in a bad way, but not a major piece of the puzzle.

LotusHD

Banned
It's a great demo but not better than RE7, GR2, Niho, For Honor.

Or they can all be good? Weird to go out of your way to compare demos imo, especially for stuff like GR2 and Nier, that do completely different things.

How about they are all good? Is it okay to say that?
Or do we have to put down one thing to appreciate the other?

This.

I made this on mobile, but I'll put some in the OP when I can.

Feel free to post some favs. I can just edit your post in if you do that.

Sure.

FortunateSophisticatedCaterpillar.gif

WetMarvelousAdouri.gif

eaCGtfE.gif

bLO8366.gif

I felt differently, as I loved both Gravity Rush 2's demo and Nier's. Nier in particular just foreshadowed all the likely fuckery and genre-bending to expect from this game, so I'm quite excited. But to each their own.

I'm arguably more hyped for this than even BoTW, namely because I genuinely don't know what to expect from the game, other than it'll be certainly a unique experience.
Well I was, until that recent BoTW trailer...

Top Bottom