• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Software Update 4.50 Features Detailed

RPGam3r

Boost mode and external HDD, I don't usually care about these updates but damn Sony you're killing with this one.

icespide

Banned
You do some great work, m0dus. But I mean like flat flat.

I don't want shit moving, I don't want 3D objects with shitty shimmering edges or colour banding. Visibility always suffers. Like in your second video, the text isn't even readable.

Give me just a flat colour, subtle texture or a static smooth blur gradient or something. Those are my jam, and i'd LOVE to have these on my PS4.
just saved these for when the firmware hits. thanks Ryan Gosling

Nestunt

The same as usual. When you have the external plugged in the games show up on the XMB as normal, and can be updated or whatever. When done, it's patched, and doesn't have to be patched again if you plug it in on another PS4.

:) very useful indeed

Opt1kon_

So if I'm able to see the EU Beta forums, does that mean I got in?

If that's the case, anyone else in that got in via an EU account not received their codes yet?

doesnt pertain to what you said about the EU but im in the same boat as you are, really hoping Im able to get into this beta, in NA i'll keep refreshing my Gmail and checking the spam

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Shows both separately, shows how much you have left etc on either drive.

Okay thanks, so if I have 5 games installed on the internal and 5 on the external, will all 10 of them show on the dash at the same time or just 5 games from the drive that is selected?

On Demand

Banned
You do some great work, m0dus. But I mean like flat flat.

I don't want shit moving, I don't want 3D objects with shitty shimmering edges or colour banding. Visibility always suffers. Like in your second video, the text isn't even readable.

Give me just a flat colour, subtle texture or a static smooth blur gradient or something. Those are my jam, and i'd LOVE to have these on my PS4.

I've asked him for flat solid colors when he first started this. They would look so much better.

XB1 has flat colors.

If you select a custom background image, can you also select a song/soundscape from a separate theme? I'm sure it's just the basic sound no matter what but if you can change that I'll freak.

I've never been able to stay away from the Paper Boat theme for long because I love that song so much. I just associate it with gaming now. It's as iconic as the PS1 startup sound for me. Hahahaha

Fnord

Oh, wow, didn't expect that. If they offer an easy way to love data between internal and external that would be amazing. You can then utilize a smaller SSD for current games and have the external act as a library "archive".

Upon reading this news, I immediately started looking at 1TB SSDs and 5TB external drives. :)

bombshell

The same as usual. When you have the external plugged in the games show up on the XMB as normal, and can be updated or whatever. When done, it's patched, and doesn't have to be patched again if you plug it in on another PS4.

Is there some UI or other distinction, so that you can see *this* is installed on internal and *this* is installed on external? Maybe in the settings there's a list for both?

Nestunt

Just to clarify, even physical discs can be installed unto the ext-HDD, right?

Thanks buddy for the impressions and feedback !!! I just bought a 4TB external to use with my PS4 and soon PS4 Pro !

Can't wait !!

madmackem

Is there some UI or other distinction, so that you can see *this* is installed on internal and *this* is installed on external? Maybe in the settings there's a list for both?
Yeah in your storage you have external and internal storage, you can see what games are installed on which when you dig into them.

LycanXIII

Simple Notifications doesn't sound good. Everything thrown in the same list? It's already a pain to delete each notification.

Before this update, the Notifications app had a variety of tabs on the left-hand side, like Game Alerts, Downloads, Uploads, and more. We’ve condensed all of the tabs to a single simplified list, making it easier to see all of your notifications all at-a-glance.

joeblow

Cinema screen picture quality is improved massively and 3d is brilliant.

Is the drifting in Cinema mode fixed? You would be able to tell within minutes of starting a movie.

BTW, are the PSVR blue lights turned on when in Cinema mode now?

I know nothing about this stuff...but games wouldn't run well off a usb stick right? lol

Wait for testing but if its anything like the Xbox solution, depending on the USB device you might actually get better performance then a stock PS4 HDD.

Obviously running off some bargin USB stick wouldn't be ideal.

Elios83

Just installed and testing a few things around.

A pretty cool thing not mentioned in the changelog is that now you can easily download or upload save games from hdd to cloud directly from the game menu clicking options. It's very cool and easy to use.

Mbrill82

YES! YES! YES!

Finally, I can keep DOOM installed.

(Yes, I'm well aware I've could've upgraded the hard drive internally, but this works better for me.)

EDIT: Just realized that this justifies all the 3D Blu-rays I have now.

I really wanna hear how 3D BluRays look on PS VR. I've got some extra cash coming soon and I've been debating what to spend it on, and PS VR is a definite possibility

Unknown?

Just installed and testing a few things around.

A pretty cool thing not mentioned in the changelog is that now you can easily download or upload save games from hdd to cloud directly from the game menu clicking options. It's very cool and easy to use.
That's as big as external HDD to me! Wow!

mollipen

Holy shit. The PS4 is literally perfect now. What else do we even need?

* User name change/alternate display name option
* Not breaking the Notifications section (we already had filters in a more convenient side bar!)
* Option to also allow folders to auto-sort by various criteria
* Give any kind of sorting options for the Trophies games list
* Option for sorting of Trophies for a game by name
* Option for pinning the current active game to a specific part of the main bar, especially as it can now be easier to lose due to folders
* Option for determining how many items are in the main bar
* Library options for uninstalled games (no reason not to have its own tab)
* Option to hide no longer active betas/demos from Library
* Give sorting/app placement options for the utter mess that is TV & Video
* Sort options for when deleting/managing game saves

That's offhand—I'm sure there's plenty more.

No it won't. It might disable remote play though, which probably means I shouldn't opt in.. (Did someone on the East Coast get in yet?)

It will disable remote play with PC, Mac & Xperia but as long as you have a Vita that is up-to-date you will still be able to use remote play.

It also disables shareplay unless the other user is in the beta

Faustek

Pro boost mode and external hdd support?!? I must be dreaming. Somebody pinch me.

*Punches you*

Sorry but I just wanted to really ensure that you are awake.

_________

Anyone tried the boost mode on Bloodborn? Not like Sony ever will give us that pro patch :(

Edit:

Just played the Ludwig fight with the boost mode on. Feels much better to play with much less slow down from the blood and arcane effects on screen.

----

I just try bloodborne and the evil within, they feels so good! smooth and no frame drop for me! good work sony!

From the beta forums. In other words, nice.

Audioboxer

Thanks! I can see it as well. It's gonna be a long night staring at my mail account, lol.

Same!

Access denied :(

Is it confirmed that people sharing their invitation link allows for people that weren't invited to get the beta?

One poster has said this. My speculating is it will work for people who can access the forums (their accounts are technically flagged as beta active).

I mean, if anyone wants to forward their email activation link to me for science, feel free ;)

ZeroCDR

Cinema screen picture quality is improved massively and 3d is brilliant.

Awwwwww yeaaaaah, hope I get in the beta. I've got some blu-rays that include the 3D version, never had a 3DTV. Dredd and GOTG to name a few specifically, hell yes.

Here's Hoping that the custom wallpaper element stems the tide of trash that floods PSN every week, and makes room for what I've been working on :) this should also help push Devs to go the distance with preorder theme bonuses, rather than stick with something static.

* User name change/alternate display name option
* Not breaking the Notifications section (we already had filters in a more convenient side bar!)
* Option to also allow folders to auto-sort by various criteria
* Give any kind of sorting options for the Trophies games list
* Option for sorting of Trophies for a game by name
* Option for pinning the current active game to a specific part of the main bar, especially as it can now be easier to lose due to folders
* Option for determining how many items are in the main bar
* Library options for uninstalled games (no reason not to have its own tab)
* Option to hide no longer active betas/demos from Library
* Give sorting/app placement options for the utter mess that is TV & Video
* Sort options for when deleting/managing game saves

That's offhand—I'm sure there's plenty more.
I could go for a lot of these..NOthing deal breaking, but yeah, I would find a lot of it useful.

PS1 emulation (PS classics carry over) is the biggie for me. I'm also fine with how they do PS2 games, it's just too slow a release schedule.

Top Bottom