• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Chrono Trigger, what is the SNES' next best RPG?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not the SFC version
Well not any version at all but especially not the SFC one. Tales of Phantasia is great but hasn't aged as well as CT or FFVI.

But my memories...and my Indignation intro ;_;

SFC version has the best music, at least.

bs135

Most definitely Final Fantasy III. That's what it was called when I played it, so that's what I will keep calling it!

PBalfredo

As long as we all agree that Chrono Trigger, FFVI, EarthBound and Super Mario RPG are all the SNES' top games and the ordering just boils down to personal pref, then it's all good.

But my memories...and my Indignation intro ;_;

SFC version has the best music, at least.
I'm like that with Secret of Mana. In my memories it's the best and perfection. Time however hasn't been as kind :p

Agree about the music. Just wish the sprites looked better...

Ōkami

Chrono Trigger isn't even among the best of Square's RPGs on the system.

If you want to play more, Romancing SaGa 2, Terranigma, all Dragon Quest games, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3 and all Final Fantasy games on the system are better.

As has already been made evident by the replies, the exact order varies but CT, Earthbound, FFVI, and SMRPG are easily the top RPGs on the SNES.

The real debate is which game ranks 5th behind those. I mean you have Secret of Mana, Zelda LTTP, Secret of Evermore, Illusions of Gaia, etc...

If we're including a LTTP in this conversation than SMRPG and/or Earthbound definitely ain't in the top 5

Final Fantasy VI for me, after that I have no idea, I have a bunch of favorites like Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, etc. that I lump together. What a crazy era of RPG's.

Ōkami;230151631 said:

If you want to play more, Romancing SaGa 2, Terranigma, all Dragon Quest games, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3 and all Final Fantasy games on the system are better.

giphy.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Final Fantasy V is an incredibly (re-)playable game even in 2017, and it's criminally overlooked. It's only in Japanese unless you opt for a different platform or a fan translation though.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif[/IMG]

This gif is hard to contextualize, since without context it could easily mean "wrong," but it could also mean "right" with the context that Trump was wrong when he said "wrong" during the debate. So in a round about way it's a gif of agreement?

Torokil

Holy Trinity:

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Earthbound

Next Level:

Dragon Quest V
Final Fantasy IV
Super Mario RPG
Terranigma
Tales of Phantasia

Red Devil

1- Final Fantasy VI
2- Chrono Trigger
3- Super Mario RPG
4- EarthBound
5- Secret of Mana
6- Lufia II
7- Final Fantasy IV
8- Illusion of Gaia

(Didn't play Seiken Densetsu 3, Terranigma or Final Fantasy V or any of the japan only ones)

Strange nobody mentioned Star Ocean or Ys V which seem to be somewhat popular.

1- Final Fantasy VI
2- Chrono Trigger
3- Super Mario RPG
4- EarthBound
5- Secret of Mana
6- Lufia II
7- Final Fantasy IV
8- Illusion of Gaia

(Didn't play Seiken Densetsu 3, Terranigma or Final Fantasy V or any of the japan only ones)

This is the one true list.

jblank83

After FF VI, the next best SNES RPG is Chrono Trigger.

Actually it's probably one of the Quintet games.

THEN Chrono Trigger in third.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
FFVI.

I think it's debateably greater than CT (I go back and forth)... but CT is free of the baggage that comes with the FF name.

Bakkus

Ōkami;230151631 said:

Neither Terranigma or DQ series are/were Squaresoft games.

What are the differences between the versions?
There's the Super Famicom version and the PlayStation remake. Super Famicom version has sprites that look nothing like the art and a weird split skill system. The remake (all other versions are based on this version) adds a plethora of features that are now series staples (skits, cooking, anime opening and song etc) and updated the battle system accordingly using the Tales of Destiny engine, also added a new playable character and updated the sprites to actually look like the art.

Eila

Terranigma and Lufia 2 are god tier. Too bad they have so much competition. I think my answer would be boring (FFVI).

Don't think Ys V is popular at all. Personally I thought it was an average game. Not nearly the worst but also nothing is great about it.

FSLink

Banned
Not the SFC version
Well not any version at all but especially not the SFC one. Tales of Phantasia is great but hasn't aged as well as CT or FFVI.
I'd say the SFC version aged better than the PS1/GBA versions of Phantasia at least. The only thing I dislike about the SFC version is the subpar fan translation.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
1- Final Fantasy VI
2- Chrono Trigger
3- Super Mario RPG
4- EarthBound
5- Secret of Mana
6- Lufia II
7- Final Fantasy IV
8- Illusion of Gaia

Ys V isn't really popular at all. It was a weird game with some weird mechanics that put the series on haitus for nearly a decade.

It also was only recently playable in English at all, so there probably aren't that many people on GAF that have even played it.

zonq

With so many people praising FF6 in here, what's the currently best version to play? Just get the SNES version and play it there? The Steam version does not seem convincing, reading some of the reviews. Are there any new versions that actually made improvements?

mark-san

Banned
FFVI, but Terranigma is a very close third place.

The title of most underrated goes to E.V.O, but some might say it's a real RPG...

Edit: i meant "some might say it's NOT a real RPG".

orborborb

1. FF4
2. FF5
3. Secret of Mana
4. Soul Blazer
5. FF6
6. The 7th Saga
7. Illusion of Gaia
8. Lufia 2
9. Chrono Trigger
10. Earthbound

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
FF V or VI depending how I'm feeling at the moment.

Earthbound kinda sucks BTW. Charm and a quirky sense of humor aren't enough to carry a JRPG, especially when its contemporaries were GOATs like Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy series. (And this is coming from someone who bought Earthbound the week it launched on SNES)

Top Bottom