• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IMDb message boards shutting down effective February 20, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TVexperto

Bad idea that imdb completely deleted the forums instead of modernizing them. Even though there was lots of noise/trolling, it was a great resource, too. Imdb just removed a major reason to visit the website.

There is an attempt at creating a replacement and providing an archive of the former imdb forums:
http://www.moviechat.org/

"Hi Everyone,

My name’s Jim, and I created MovieChat.org as an archive and replacement for IMDB’s message boards which are shutting down this week. For those of you not familiar, the IMDb message boards allowed you to discuss any single movie or tv show with others (there was a separate forum for each movie/show). IMDb recently announced they were shutting down the message boards and its users were furious (there's a petition with close to 10k signatures here: https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imd...). I ventured out to create an archive (of all the existing posts) and replacement and hence MovieChat.org was born.

Key Features of MovieChat.org:

1. Any movie/show on IMDB is also on MovieChat.org (over 4 million and counting) - we have separate boards for each movie/show, just like IMDB

2. I backed up most of the posts for IMDB’s top 10,000 movies/shows - most existing conversations on IMDB should also appear on MovieChat.org - we have over 3 million posts already (and I'm working non-stop to back up even more from IMDB)!

Please visit http://MovieChat.org, join or start a discussion, and let me know what you think. If you like it, please spread the word. If there’s anything I can improve, just email me (jim@moviechat.org) and I’ll get on it.

Jim jim@moviechat.org"
source: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13653948

How did he get all the threads and posts back?

Rootbeer

Banned
moviechat.org it is then. Off to a good start. There's a TON of posts there already, in addition to the migrated content.
How did he get all the threads and posts back?
Engineering magic! Sounds like he scraped it all. Really impressed with their work.

sangreal

moviechat.org seems like a winner... but not requiring a captcha or even email to signup -- this thing is going to end up wrecked w/ spam

Bakkus

Engineering magic! Sounds like he scraped it all. Really impressed with their work.

Countless posts are missing from all the once very long threads. There isn't a single one who now has more than 9 posts. Really sad, hope it can be fixed.

Blueingreen

I couldn't give a shit about the handful of anti-PC, anti SJW, ALT Right BS comments.

I care about the millions of insightful discussions on cinemma buy passionate movie lovers accumulated over the corse of 15 years completely wiped off the face of the earth. No other forum on the entire net provides the level of depth and discussion that IMDB offered not even Reddit, this is fucking censorship gone mad.

I'm going to be honest... I think I only used to look at IMDb message boards to confirm that others found an actress attractive. This would always be confirmed and by posters much creepier than me, and then I wouldnt feel so bad about myself for doing the search.

Blueingreen

Really? They're on most actor's pages as "<ACTOR> IS SO HOT" type posts. I'm honestly surprised they ran the boards as long as they did.

Because for every bullshit post there were millions of other threads dissecting every single aspect of a film for millions of other movies, I remember posting a thread on a movie back in 2007 only to find the thread still active and well almost 10 years later. There was an unique active discussion board for every single film you can think of. NO other website on the entire net has or can ever provide that, almost two decades of people insight, thoughts an opinions on an art form erased, I don't see how anyone who at least understands or respects movies can see this as a good thing.

~Kinggi~

Banned
IMDB boards have a bit less relevance now, but i have to say in the past i used to instantly go there if i didnt understand the ending to a movie or something. Was usually a really good help. I mean, i still kind of did it, since i cant always rely on GAF for having the most up to date conversation on something. A shame.

Occam

moviechat.org + themoviedb.org = don't need imdb.com anymore :)

Agreed. I don't think I'll contribute to imdb anymore (I occasionally added movie information in the past).
With the deletion of the message boards and all the fake reviews tricking people into spending money to see newly released bad movies, imdb is basically just a marketing tool now.
To get more accurate opinions regarding new (and old) movies, rottentomatoes.com is a much better source.

Fred Savage and Howie Mandel? That movie is GREAT!

Few threads on it already here https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/15138-little-monsters/discuss nothing compared to the backlog of threads on imdb, but its something.

Yup that's the movie..loved it as a kid but seeing it now I had no patience for Maurice hooping around like an A.D.D. asshole. When I just saw this thread pop back up on the front page with people discussing the moviedb site that was the first thing I checked..since it was the last thing I looked for.

Pretty cool that they saved some of this stuff just wish it was every post/thread.

I will always remember being the only one to ever post on the Arthur J. Nascarella board calling him a "cheese eating rat" after it was revealed in The Sopranos finale that he was working with the FBI. Looks like that was not preserved:
http://www.moviechat.org/movies/nm0621597

HeelPower

I just cameback from watching Moonlight,went to IMDb page to checkout the message boards ,and it was gone.

I can't believe it.This effectively killed the site for me. One of my favorite post-movie practices is now gone.

This is a huge loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom