• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #304 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild special

random25

EDGE producing GAF salt already lol. Good job.

Congrats in advance to BotW and all the other games in this mag with critical positive reviews.

jariw

Well I haven't read much in depth previews to prevent myself from being spoiled but are these shrines related to story progression in anyway? From the little I've read, they provide useful items like a Bow and the like. I really hope I'm wrong regarding these shrines but from what I've seen of them so far, nothing suggest they look any different to one another nor will take longer than 10 minutes to complete.

The secondary reward for a shrine is to find hidden chests with good armor/weapons and stuff like that. The primary reward for a shrine is not about story progression, but about character progression (
the orb reward can be exchanged for an extra heart or extra stamina
).

Since this is an open-world game where things can be done in pretty much any order, I guess it would be likely that the existing dungeons in BotW doesn't connect too much to the main story?

geordiemp

Previous Edge 10s for comparison:

Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Halo: Combat Evolved
Half-Life 2
Halo 3
The Orange Box
Super Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV
LittleBigPlanet
Bayonetta
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Rock Band 3
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Last of Us
Grand Theft Auto V
Bayonetta 2
Bloodborne

It just shows opinions - I rate games by the challenging minute to minute combat, and in that list

Half-Life 2
Halo 3
The Orange Box
Bayonetta
The Last of Us
Bayonetta 2
Bloodborne

have decent combat, the rest meh. Of the reviews Horizon and NioH I would play, BOTW combat looks bad and none of the others look worthy.

Firemind

Since this is an open-world game where things can be done in pretty much any order, I guess it would be likely that the existing dungeons in BotW doesn't connect too much to the main story?
considering the trailer implications, i'm pretty sure you need to go through something to 'unlock' the dungeon, with different characters you interact with. the dungeons probably aren't locked out by an item anymore but the progression is still the same. not talking about dungeon content though, but pre-dungeon content. the world around you will probably change after you beat the dungeon too.

Simo

Wow. Congrats to Zelda and Nintendo for the review score.

Honestly the excitement and hype surrounding BOTW reminds me so much of back in '98 and the hype of OoT and the N64. I just need Nintendo to drop a TV spot with Conan the Babarian's "Riddle of Steel" and I'll be all set. lol

d00d3n

Super Mario 64 well yeah
Gran Turismo yeah
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time hell yeah
Halo: Combat Evolved yeah,i suppose
Half-Life 2 yeah
Halo 3 oh hell no.
The Orange Box as overall quality,yeah
Super Mario Galaxy nah.
Grand Theft Auto IV oh no,no,no
LittleBigPlanet nah
Bayonetta hell yeah!
Super Mario Galaxy 2 hell yeah!
Rock Band 3 in its genre..maybe?
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword nah
The Last of Us didn't play it,but thye say it's a yeah
Grand Theft Auto V didn't play it
Bayonetta 2 nah,more a 9 with the first one a 10.
Bloodborne didn't play it

still an impressive collection of games,but an edge 10 now it's not a rare breed like it was in the earlier years,and nowhere as consistent.

The underlined is such a ridiculous choice for a 10/10. If you want to push for user generated content, fine, but Little Big Planet? It could make sense to argue for Minecraft, or maybe Rust, but only in hindsight when we can see how those communities grew and truly were elevated because of user generated content. The game they played back in the day and scored was a mediocre platform game with some promise of user generated content to come in the future. The promise didn't pan out, so the choice seems ridiculous now, and Edge are left with an embarrassing choice for their famously selective 10/10 club.

Torokil

Previous Edge 10s for comparison:

Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Halo: Combat Evolved
Half-Life 2
Halo 3
The Orange Box
Super Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV
LittleBigPlanet
Bayonetta
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Rock Band 3
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Last of Us
Grand Theft Auto V
Bayonetta 2
Bloodborne

I'm still confused at how LBP got such amazing scores back in the day, especially since it had better sequels that never reached the same acclaim.

Acheteedo

Japan is back :)

Hmm, interesting point, I wonder if you're right about that, maybe it's taken until now for Japan to fight back from being left behind by Western Developers. RE7 on PSVR made me realise that Japan can still be the ones to move the industry forward.

sackninja

I'm still confused at how LBP got such amazing scores back in the day, especially since it had better sequels that never reached the same acclaim.

Little Big Planet 2 is my favorite game of all time, but I still understand why it wouldn't get the same acclaim as the first one. While it did some amazing things it was not as revolutionary as the first one. It mainly built on top of what was already in the first one and did lose some of the charm of the first.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Skyward Sword also received a 10

Didn't they give Skyward Sword a 10 as well? And I couldn't get on with the motion controls at all. I so wanted to respect that game, but Nintendo can be stubborn to a fault.

I remain sceptical of Edge's review scores, but traditional control schemes are a step back in the right direction for Nintendo insofar as I'm concerned.

Ew, they gave Skyward Sword a 10? Implies both games are equal, even without having played one I know it's not true.

So as good as Skyward Sword

This shouldn't be a problem since skyward sword was a 10/10 game

They gave Skyward Sword a 10.......I can't

Not nearly as bad as GTAIV a 10.

Ok, so here's the thing.

a) this thread is not about the Egde Skyward Sword review.

b) the """argument""" that X website/magazine once gave this other game a good score so we should not pay attention to their review this time, is insanely stupid. Not all similar scored reviews are equal, and there is a good chance they were performed by completely different reviewers.

Zia

Don't remember the same uproar when EDGE gave early, exclusive 10s to The Last of Us and Bloodborne.

Anyway, I know everyone is focused on the console exclusive games because NeoGAF, but Dandy Dungeon is fucking awesome and totally deserving of an EDGE 9 and your attention. Quirky, brilliant little line puzzle RPG from the director of Little King's Story. The best iOS game since Device 6... which came out in 2013... which says a lot about the state of the App Store...

Probably already been mentioned but which other Zelda games have been given a 10 from Edge? I'm assuming Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess.

Crom

If Horizon was on the Switch, would it have got a 10?

The old Edge bias still exists (people have been saying it since issue one, I am not trolling, my tongue is FIRMLY in my cheek)

A few other previewrs specifically mentioned Horizon when writing about Zelda. They said things like Horizon is a good game but Zelda makes Horizon feel amateur and another previewer said he had to review a great game (likely Horizon) but all he wanted to do was go back to Hyrule.

So Zelda getting a 10 has nothing to do with it being on Switch

oti

Banned
what?

forest dungeon is in a forest

fire dungeon is in a mountain

water dungeon is in a lake

if i wanted to solve puzzles without any connection whatsoever, i'd just play puzzle games

A quick summary of pre-launch BoTW on GAF.

- There are no towns!
There are towns

- There are no NPCs!
There are NPCs

- There are no dungeons!
There are dungeons

- There are no themed dungeons!
We'll see

Quite a ride. Only one more week to go.

Ridley327

The (mostly) seamless integration of online UGC elements really hadn't been done before on consoles, and the idea that gamers had access to the same tools that the developers did, which allowed for them to be used in ways no one expected with how creative the community got with all the various non-gaming applications that they were able to get away with, was something that was genuinely mind-blowing for its time. It's one of those concepts that sounds so great on paper that you could almost forgive it for having cumbersome controls for making said UGC and the core gameplay mechanics being among the worst to ever grace a platformer.

Almost.

Chaos17

If Horizon was on the Switch, would it have got a 10?

The old Edge bias still exists (people have been saying it since issue one, I am not trolling, my tongue is FIRMLY in my cheek)

b65.gif

It is easy to judge review from the past... Those games were up in the top in their day.

Games from today most likely picked something from them and are better because of that.

Is "hindsight" the right term? Cant you see how ridiculous you are?

Volotaire

I am much more interested in the Fujibayashi interview, since he is the director of Breath of the Wild, than the review. We hardly receive interviews with him since the focus (from what I have observed in Nintendo's Western PR strategy for Zelda) is with Aonuma, who is the producer.

Mafro

Don't remember the same uproar when EDGE gave early, exclusive 10s to The Last of Us and Bloodborne.
Two Sony exclusives from GAF darlings Naughty Dog and From Software. Funny that.
Anyway, I know everyone is focused on the console exclusive games because NeoGAF, but Dandy Dungeon is fucking awesome and totally deserving of an EDGE 9 and your attention. Quirky, brilliant little line puzzle RPG from the director of Little King's Story. The best iOS game since Device 6... which came out in 2013... which says a lot about the state of the App Store...
THIS. I haven't played a mobile game so much in years. I was actually surprised there wasn't a big thread about it on here (at least I couldn't find one?) It doesn't really force you into micro transactions either which is nice.

etking

Banned
Skyward Sword is one of the best Zelda games since Ocarina. It may have a lengthy tutorial, an annoying hint giving ferry replacement and lack of variety (3 regions only with no real overworld) but it has more of the special Zelda magic than Wind Waker or TP. And the controls are absolutely perfect, even if they loose sync once in a while which can be easily fixed with a single button press.

Good God the conclusion of EDGEs review:

" The result, for all the longevity of its series and the familiarity of the open world genre, is a game that evokes feelings we haven't felt for 20 years. Not since Ocarina of Time have we set foot in a world that feels so mind-bogglingly vast and unerringly magical, that proves so relentlessly intriguing. Plenty of games promise to let us go anywhere and do anything. Few, if any, ever deliver so irresistibly. 19 years on Ocarina is still held up as the high water mark of gamings best loved and greatest series. Now it may have to settle for second place".

oti

Banned

" The result, for all the longevity of its series and the familiarity of the open world genre, is a game that evokes feelings we haven't felt for 20 years. Not since Ocarina of Time have we set foot in a world that feels so mind-bogglingly vast and unerringly magical, that proves so relentlessly intriguing. Plenty of games promise to let us go anywhere and do anything. Few, if any, ever deliver so irresistibly. 19 years on Ocarina is still held up as the high water mark of gamings best loved and greatest series. Now it may have to settle for second place".

That sure is a quote. My hopes are a bit more grounded than that. Just an interesting open world game not filled with bugs or pointless side stuff.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

god DAMN

Jesus...this is like the highest praise of any game ever and it's from Edge.

Luigiv

That sure is a quote. My hopes are a bit more grounded than that. Just an interesting open world game not filled with bugs or pointless side stuff.

I'm pretty sure the game's world has quite a number of bugs. You might need to cut the grass to actually find them, though.

Top Bottom