• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fact Hunt: Top 5 Longest Games spent in Development Hell

Justinh

YouTube doesn't load at all for me on mobile data. Anyone who can post the list?

5 Too Human
4 Final Fantasy XV
3 Prey (2006)
2 Duke Nukem Forever
1 Unreal Worlds

I miss Prey. I should rebuy it. I remember liking it, although it has been years...

I kinda want to rebuy Too Human too, even though I absolutely hated it. I beat it trying to force myself to see why people loved it so much but I just didn't get it. It was just so tedious to me.

If you're looking for the PC version, it's much, much easier getting a key. There are plenty 360 version around though.
Oh yeah, I'd just end up getting a 360 copy since that's where I played it originally.

Jesus Christ, they're still working on Unreal World? Used to be a common thing to grab whatever shareware edition was out every time I did a recarpet during the early 2000's

I miss Prey. I should rebuy it. I remember liking it, although it has been years...

If you're looking for the PC version, it's much, much easier getting a key. There are plenty 360 version around though.

Cleve Blakemore's Grimoire has been in development for 22 years.

It's hard say what has happened during all that time. The only flimsy proof is a demo that was sent out backers of his skeevy indiegogo, which somehow, didn't spread in the wild like a fire. Considering his state of mind. I'm more inclined to believe he's been collecting his piss in jars this whole time, after a few months on the project.

I vaguely remember a thread about a FMV game for PC that was posted in the last 5-10 years (?) about a game where the scenes were filmed back in the 90s and there was supposedly I believe one person working on the game. Anyone have a clue what that was?

Dremorak

Banned
I heard from someone who worked on burnout paradise that it was one of the most expensive games that they had made by a long margin, due to poor management. He was a bit of an exaggerater (is that a word?) Tho

It's hard say what has happened during all that time. The only flimsy proof is a demo that was sent out backers of his skeevy indiegogo, which somehow, didn't spread in the wild like a fire. Considering his state of mind. I'm more inclined to believe he's been collecting his piss in jars this whole time, after a few months on the project.

There have been other people who gave gotten ahold of and played builds of it over the years.

While I doubt he has been working on it day in and out for 22 years, it's definitely something he has kept tinkering with and revising.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It's apparently coming out right away believe it or not.

There have been other people who gave gotten ahold of and played builds of it over the years.

While I doubt he has been working on it day in and out for 22 years, it's definitely something he has kept tinkering with and revising.

He's already got the engine down. Is he recreating Daggerfall by hand or something?

It's apparently coming out right away believe it or not.

Is this an RPG Codex meme?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
the title isn't grammatically correct and the preview thumbnail is youtube view-grabbing garbage

the video is also about 15 minutes too long

and the premise is stupid as hell, because if you count single-developer indie titles, then there are an infinite number of titles that have been in development longer than duke nukem forever, but whatever let's just pick one of them so we can have the exciting "ACTUALLY DUKE NUKEM FOREVER ISN'T THE LONGEST GAME DEV IDIOT!!!!"

5. too human: 9 years, 8 months (they are counting the period where the game was cancelled and not in development at all)
4. final fantasy 15: 10 years (i am not sure where this number with no months comes from, given that the game was announced june 2006 and released november 2016, but whatever, i guess he decided to switch from years-months to just years)
3. prey 2006: 11 years (they are counting the periods where the game was cancelled and not in development at all)
3 again. diablo 3: wasn't in the original video
2. duke nukem forever
1. unreal world, a no-name PC rpg that released on Steam after like 25 years of on-and-off development

youtube gaming channels are so bad

(note that the maker of the video is being paid $7,000 a year on patreon)

Justinh

the title isn't grammatically correct

This didn't bother me until you pointed it out, but now it really does, lol.

Wait! Weren't you the person that pointed out the "DId You Know Gaming?" thing too, because that makes my eye twitch every time I see it now.

Mr. Tibbs

Yep, it's a garbage video. He gets so many basic development details wrong about the two games I'm familiar with, DNF and Prey, that it's clear he hasn't done any research whatsoever.

Troubles implementing the portal technology in no way shape or form delayed Prey. In fact, Prey's project lead, Chris Rhinehart, created the portal code by himself for the HH-iteration. The game had to be restarted in 1998 because 3DR based their engine on Glide (3DFX) instead of DirectX. Human Head's game was originally going to be published by Rockstar, and the fallout between developer, producer (3DR), and publisher is what significantly delayed the game.

Having spoken to dozens of people who worked on the game, DNF was technically only restarted once in 1998 when the game switched from id Tech 2 to the Unreal engine. Later upgrades, like switching from BSP to static meshes and implementing dynamic lighting in 2002, obviously dramatically delayed the game, but it was an iterative process.

I vaguely remember a thread about a FMV game for PC that was posted in the last 5-10 years (?) about a game where the scenes were filmed back in the 90s and there was supposedly I believe one person working on the game. Anyone have a clue what that was?

Dark Presence? Made by the Galloping Ghost arcade guy and apparently still going on after roughly 20 years.

the title isn't grammatically correct and the preview thumbnail is youtube view-grabbing garbage

the video is also about 15 minutes too long

and the premise is stupid as hell, because if you count single-developer indie titles, then there are an infinite number of titles that have been in development longer than duke nukem forever, but whatever let's just pick one of them so we can have the exciting "ACTUALLY DUKE NUKEM FOREVER ISN'T THE LONGEST GAME DEV IDIOT!!!!"

5. too human: 9 years, 8 months (they are counting the period where the game was cancelled and not in development at all)
4. final fantasy 15: 10 years (i am not sure where this number with no months comes from, given that the game was announced june 2006 and released november 2016, but whatever, i guess he decided to switch from years-months to just years)
3. prey 2006: 11 years (they are counting the periods where the game was cancelled and not in development at all)
3 again. diablo 3: wasn't in the original video
2. duke nukem forever
1. unreal world, a no-name PC rpg that released on Steam after like 25 years of on-and-off development

youtube gaming channels are so bad

(note that the maker of the video is being paid $7,000 a year on patreon)

I wanted to shit on Larry Bundy Jr. a little subtly so as not to come off as a thread shitter too much, but yeah, his are not good videos. It made it very easy to decide to completely drop him when I found out that he was (at least at one point) a GamerGate supporter.

D.Lo

"Top 5 Longest Games spent in Development Hell". So the games that are the longest in hours of playtime that spent some time in development hell? Sounds interesting?

Oh actually it's an alleged list of "The 5 games that spent the longest time in Development Hell"

Yep this is a pretty terrible video.

Sometimes like his video's, but this list is pretty bad.

FFXV doesn't belong on it imo. What we have now started development 4 years ago.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It was Darkstar I was thinking of. I'll look that game up, though. This kinda thing is pretty fascinating to me. Thanks guys.

Haha, I missed your first post in this thread when I made that post, but yeah, I'm pretty sure the thread you're thinking of is the one I made about Darkstar. :lol

MoogleMan

5 Too Human
4 Final Fantasy XV
3 Prey (2006)
2 Duke Nukem Forever
1 Unreal Worlds
I thought FFXV only had a bout 4 years of actual development time? I'm pretty sure it was even posted here about that.

I think the guys in the video are confusing the time period of announcement to release as development time; that's not the case.

Mother 3 tends to get overlooked. I don't know enough to call it dev hell, but it took 12 years and several failed prototypes and re-imagining to get what we got.

shaowebb

Pro Wrestling X. Just damn. Still in Alpha after a decade and a half. Development spanned engines, countries and multiple investors and crews. Guy has a pic of AJ Styles wearing a shirt for his game from BEFORE AJ Styles was a megastar with TNA. Like from when he had just began working NWA TNA on PPV only shows.

Its nuts. One guy's lovesong to the N64 era of wrestling titles and its still not done after over a decade.

Yeah not one of guru larry's better videos. It's clear his expert knowledge is in 80's european pc/gaming stuff, or at least if he's making shit up nobody knows or cares to correct him.

TheBear

Pro Wrestling X. Just damn. Still in Alpha after a decade and a half. Development spanned engines, countries and multiple investors and crews. Guy has a pic of AJ Styles wearing a shirt for his game from BEFORE AJ Styles was a megastar with TNA. Like from when he had just began working NWA TNA on PPV only shows.

Its nuts. One guy's lovesong to the N64 era of wrestling titles and its still not done after over a decade.

I signed up to the mailing list about 15 years ago, backed the kickstarter and got a code for something that is barely a video game. What a piece of shit

Top Bottom