• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

Thank you.

You need to sign up for Nico Nico premium to use *Fullscreen* on their video player.

Why is this shit popular

It's stuck in the past, just an awful service. It keeps kicking me out to make room for premiums and redirecting me to a new page to upgrade to premium, interrupting the video.

EDIT:
GP Kobe GP Trial Winning decks:
3 Affinity
3 Living End
2 White-Green Tron
2 Boros Burn
2 Abzan Midrange
2 Abzan Company
1 Eight Moon
1 White-Blue Menfolk
1 Red-Green Titanshift
1 White-Red Control
1 Eldrazi Tron
1 Dredge
1 Grixis Shadow

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpkob17/grand-prix-trial-winning-decklists-2017-05-26

traveler

Not Wario
So with all the monocolor gods out of the way and an unbalanced number left, what would the three be? Bicolor gods in the Grixis colors? (BR, UB, RU)

I just put together my first constructed deck and was wondering if one of you experienced players could take a look and let me know if I am going in the correct direction

Note: I just started playing during Amonkhet so 90% of the cards are from that set and are all from packs I have opened in the last few weeks.

I tried to build the deck with goals
1) Use cheap control and damage spells to make enigma drake really big
2) Slow the game down long enough to get Hazoret or Glorybringer out

My main question right now is should I trade out the blue cartouches for a 4th magma spray and a 3rd shock or is that overkill?

http://deck.tk/6Blt8Niv

Lands
1 Highland Lake
10 Island
10 Mountain

Spells
3 Cancel
2 Cartouche of Knowledge
1 Disallow
3 Essence Scatter
1 Insult // Injury
3 Magma Spray
2 Reduce // Rubble
2 Shock

Creatures
1 Baral, Chief of Compliance
1 Bloodrage Brawler
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Cryptic Serpent
1 Curator of Mysteries
3 Enigma Drake
2 Flameblade Adept
1 Glorybringer
2 Harsh Mentor
2 Hazoret the Fervent
2 Labyrinth Guardian
1 Seeker of Insight
3 Thresher Lizard
1 Vizier of Tumbling Sands
At a quick glance from somebody who mainly plays casual and therefore maybe isn't the greatest advisor: You're in a weird spot with this deck right now: in a control deck you ideally want (instant speed) card advantage, i.e. to have ways to get more cards than your opponents. That is a) to always have an answer in hand (or because you might need 2 shocks to get rid of one creature) and b) to find your wincon faster. All your discard synergies and enablers counteract that. On the other hand if you want to go full on U/R spells in yard, you generally don't want to have that many counterspells, I think.

Also, in both cases I would include more shocks and magma sprays but go down something that is not the cartouche.

So with all the monocolor gods out of the way and an unbalanced number left, what would the three be? Bicolor gods in the Grixis colors? (BR, UB, RU)
They're gods that Bolas deemed enough of a hassle to remove. Considering we know Bolas is Grixis, and all signs point to Samut sparking and being Naya, it makes sense that Wizards would aim for a cycle of Mythics that are shards, so Bant/Esper/Jund are my bets. I'd imagine Wizards wants HoD to be a set where Bolas is pushed and you can't just push Bolas by himself.

Also, my bold prediction for Ixalan/Spring 2018: we're getting Fetches back in Standard, because they easily allow for 3 colorbases and the current lands work while not being anywhere near as stupid as Battle lands. You'd ideally not want to fetch them all.

y2dvd

I had a guy mad that he lost to my Izzet control deck, when he's playing Temur Marvel lol. He was complaining that my deck wasn't magic. I didn't make a big deal outta it, but I'm like, you play Temur Marvel. You and I know how degenerate that deck can be lol.

Santiako

Round 1 streaming now

Elves vs Living End

EDIT: Knightfall vs Seimic Swans! as well. I love the first rounds when we get weird deck like this.

elves is already on the upswing in modern, this white splash for the combo win is obnoxious.

Isn't the first rule for seismic swans to wait for the removal and then try to go off? He wasn't dead on the next turn.

Santiako

elves is already on the upswing in modern, this white splash for the combo win is obnoxious.

Isn't the first rule for seismic swans to wait for the removal and then try to go off? He wasn't dead on the next turn.

Yeah, the swans guy was a bit too eager to get the swans down.

You don't see elves winning against living end often. White splash was huge there.

EDIT: Humans Coco vs Tron. Go humans!

This fish player tilts me. He vialed in a master of waves for no reason on his turn, could have cost him the game.
Commentators were going on and on how it pumped a mutavault when the mutavault still ended dying w/o trading.

Santiako

Man, Living End got such a big boost now that their cycles are real threats instead of garbage creatures.

Another turn 3 win.

And another turn 3 win!

Yeah, your entire deck but the living end just needs to be over 2 cmc.

Oh right had a 1v1 EDH game recently I don't think I could have stacked my deck any better.

Turn 1 Land > Chrome Mox > Azorius Signet > Mox Opal

Cyclonic Rift on opponents Turn 1 Sol Ring EOT

Turn 2 Draw Helm of Obedience > Land > Play Zur

Turn 3 Draw Pact of Negation > Attack with Zur fetch RIP > Helm kill Opp

Santiako

Alright, now the people with 3 byes start playing, we should see less egregious misplays from now on.

Yeah, your entire deck but the living end just needs to be over 2 cmc.

Oh right had a 1v1 EDH game recently I don't think I could have stacked my deck any better.

Turn 1 Land > Chrome Mox > Azorius Signet > Mox Opal

Cyclonic Rift on opponents Turn 1 Sol Ring EOT

Turn 2 Draw Helm of Obedience > Land > Play Zur

Turn 3 Draw Pact of Negation > Attack with Zur fetch RIP > Helm kill Opp

Damn. Straight up savage.

I almost wonder if this As Foretold deck wouldn't want to sideboard in a couple of copies of Displacement Wave for Death's Shadow and the assorted go-wide creature match-ups.

Good point.

I'm curious about a Flash interaction, when I use it to put Bladewing the Risen into play does Bladewing die before I place his ETB trigger on the stack? Because if it's after I can use the etb trigger to resurrect itself.

Santiako

Good point.

I'm curious about a Flash interaction, when I use it to put Bladewing the Risen into play does Bladewing die before I place his ETB trigger on the stack? Because if it's after I can use the etb trigger to resurrect itself.

No, the creature comes into play and gets sacrificed, so you can't target itself.

Tunoku

A buddy is 4-1 in Copenhagen wit Bant Eldrazi. Wish him luck! He's grinding Planeswalker points this weekend to get a second bye for next season and he's super close I think. Just one more win.

I just asked the the judges at http://chat.magicjudges.org/mtgrules/ and they told me you can indeed reanimate it with its own ability. You were right :)
thanks for asking, gotta remember that site for the future.

I'll have to reevaluate my Scion deck now since Ur Dragon really makes me want to put omniscience into the deck which in turn makes academy rector great which brings me to flash. It clashes with Scion wanting dragons that do something static or none etb triggered abilities on the other hand.

Santiako

thanks for asking, gotta remember that site for the future.

I'll have to reevaluate my Scion deck now since Ur Dragon really makes me want to put omniscience into the deck which in turn makes academy rector great which brings me to flash.

Ah, yes. The good old I will just add this one card to my edh deck that ends up being like 10 cards.

Wasn't that a pretty big misplay by shahar?

He wins on the next turn with Emrakul so flashback on cryptic then chump with snapcaster holding the cryptic for counter, plays around lightning bolt.

Son1x

My brother is in Japan currently and attending GP Kobe. He went 6-3 so he is on for Day 2.

I, on the other hand, played in FNM modern yesterday and tied for first place, awarding me with 4 boosters. Opened an Invocation Containment Priest and foil Oketra. Fish did good.

traveler

Not Wario
Anyone else playing in the MOCS this morning? Apparently I'm destined to go GR Samut in higher stakes Amonkhet sealed... could be worse I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom