• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Oh yeah, by the way, Sneaks was the one who said the SF Anni is coming in October. This is prior to the second retailer leak which cites an October release.

So either he's really good at guessing, or homeboy actually knows what's up.

And if he knows what's up, and those reported features are fucking real, SFV is going to be sick. We'll know whenever they comment on SFV Anni so don't get your hopes up just yet, but if even one thing of Sneaks gets confirmed and the rest of his list is true I'm going to flip my shit.

Zackat

I just keep losing with abi. I get the openings and don't capitalize, just straight freeze up. Back to training mode I go.

Decided to play a few ranked games with Laura and LOL. She is so fucking fast and mobile. Fast buttons, good fireball. Lord. Play a slow dude for a few days and that shit is like warp drive.

MCD250

Who would you say mashes their invincible reversal more, Urien players or Ed players? And do they mash more than Ken players?

Blueblur1

Oh yeah, by the way, Sneaks was the one who said the SF Anni is coming in October. This is prior to the second retailer leak which cites an October release.

So either he's really good at guessing, or homeboy actually knows what's up.

And if he knows what's up, and those reported features are fucking real, SFV is going to be sick. We'll know whenever they comment on SFV Anni so don't get your hopes up just yet, but if even one thing of Sneaks gets confirmed and the rest of his list is true I'm going to flip my shit.

That's probably pretty easy information to get if you're a developer. A re-release is not going to be under tight lock and key. I'm not buying anything he says until something gets confirmed.

Zackat

Way too much to give all at once, but I'll sum up what I remember rn. I lied and just spilled everything lol.

- X-Kira and "Mr. S" line up almost exactly. Both are calling Arcade mode, Extra battle/Challenge mode, and Dojo mode. Only the former two seem to be near ready.
- Sagat, Sakura, Q, Necro, Oro, Viper, Cody, and Sodom are all in development (likely among others). Sagat has a "90% chance" to come in December.
- Kolin and Akuma were completed with the base game, along with S1. The other 4 S2 characters started around June of last year.
- Abby was complete in June, but was delayed for the same reason as Ed (instancing issues).
- Menat and Zeku are planned for August and October launches respectively, but if Menat misses the August patch for instancing reasons again, they'll likely launch together in a big patch in October. Capcom's doing everything they can to leave November empty so there's a good buffer before CapCup.
- V-Reversals are getting big buffs in terms of hit/block advantage. Abby is a guinea pig of sorts (like the S1 characters were with DPs).
- V-Canceling has been in testing for a while. Good chance it'll be in S3. I don't know exactly what it is, just what it's called.
- CA select is coming too. Lines up with the pre-match option Kira leaked.
- A retail release might come early next year with the S1 and S2 characters, among other "additions". It isn't called Super, though. Still just SFV it seems.
- The arcade version should launch alongside the retail update.
- Gief might get a Haggar skin in the style of IJ2 Premium skins. They're too close to make Haggar his own character apparently.

200.gif

mbpm1

Way too much to give all at once, but I'll sum up what I remember rn. I lied and just spilled everything lol.

- X-Kira and "Mr. S" line up almost exactly. Both are calling Arcade mode, Extra battle/Challenge mode, and Dojo mode. Only the former two seem to be near ready.
- Sagat, Sakura, Q, Necro, Oro, Viper, Cody, and Sodom are all in development (likely among others). Sagat has a "90% chance" to come in December.
- Kolin and Akuma were completed with the base game, along with S1. The other 4 S2 characters started around June of last year.
- Abby was complete in June, but was delayed for the same reason as Ed (instancing issues).
- Menat and Zeku are planned for August and October launches respectively, but if Menat misses the August patch for instancing reasons again, they'll likely launch together in a big patch in October. Capcom's doing everything they can to leave November empty so there's a good buffer before CapCup.
- V-Reversals are getting big buffs in terms of hit/block advantage. Abby is a guinea pig of sorts (like the S1 characters were with DPs).
- V-Canceling has been in testing for a while. Good chance it'll be in S3. I don't know exactly what it is, just what it's called.
- A retail release might come early next year with the S1 and S2 characters, among other "additions". It isn't called Super, though. Still just SFV it seems.
- Gief might get a Haggar skin in the style of IJ2 Premium skins. They're too close to make Haggar his own character apparently.
is this real

Mizerman

Whew. If this is all true...

Edzi

The potential V-Cancel system sounds like a roman cancel that could let you cancel out the recovery of a move and continue with another at the cost of a bar of v-gauge.

If true, this could potentially add a lot of combo depth/variety to the game that people have been asking for. The only problem I see is how they'd balance the usage of v-meter around all the different options. If some characters still keep their busted comeback mechanic triggers, people might just ignore the other options like reversals and cancels.

kirblar

Haggar too close to Zangief to have as a separate character (what?) but shotos and shoto-likes are a dime a dozen.
You realize there was a Haggar skin for Gief in SFIV, right? They both have SPDs and the Lariat and in a game where they've stated over and over again that they don't want clones, a Legendary Skin option is about the only way to do him.
The potential V-Cancel system sounds like a roman cancel that could let you cancel out the recovery of a move and continue with another at the cost of a bar of v-gauge.

If true, this could potentially add a lot of combo depth/variety to the game that people have been asking for. The only potential problem I see if how they'd balance the usage of v-meter around all the different options. If some characters still keep their busted comeback mechanic triggers, people might just ignore the other options.
I kinda think to make this work that you have to make it the alternative mode of V-Trigger. Have max meter? You get a normal V-Trigger cancel. Not full? You get a V-cancel.

I lost faith with Nash. Everything about him is working hard to get result and one simple mistake or using up all my turn is enough to lose. And his V-trigger isn't great either when its just some teleport that is useless outside of combos and punishing a projectile.

Meanwhile with Karin, I went from getting almost perfected by a Bison to winning by pressing jab. I felt nothing after that. It was all because of the character that made the comeback happened not the player.

I was just playing Tekken 7 with Asuka and ran into a Leo who did nothing but wait in react. So what I did wax throw in a jab 1 and then 3 and chip away his health. So he tried ducking to block the 3 and what I did next was do a hop kick for a juggle. After that I started to mix it up and 3-1 him.

The only time I felt like I'm outplaying was fighting PR Rog yesterday. In the first two games I faced him I was in control in the first two round but made one small mistake and it went from fighting PR Rog to just Balrog when he activated V-trigger. Frustration kicked in and lost all four games against him.

The morale of the story is that I'm fighting the character more than the player.

You realize there was a Haggar skin for Gief in SFIV, right? They both have SPDs and the Lariat and in a game where they've stated over and over again that they don't want clones, a Legendary Skin option is about the only way to do him.
I realize this, it doesn't change that the game currently has characters with move overlap but their own takes on them. He hasn't even been in a Street Fighter proper, he doesn't need a lariat or SPD, they could do whatever they want with him. They practically made Karin into a brand new character for V.

*chef kiss*

Edzi

Thinkingface

If the neutral sucks it means...not so much tbh

Whats the point of resetting into another CC or jump in? Same game

True. We can only hope they're aware of the problem and are planning to address it. Fingers crossed.

Skilletor

I lost faith with Nash. Everything about him is working hard to get result and one simple mistake or using up all my turn is enough to lose. And his V-trigger isn't great either when its just some teleport that is useless outside of combos and punishing a projectile.

Meanwhile with Karin, I went from getting almost perfected by a Bison to winning by pressing jab. I felt nothing after that. It was all because of the character that made the comeback happened not the player.

I was just playing Tekken 7 with Asuka and ran into a Leo who did nothing but wait in react. So what I did wax throw in a jab 1 and then 3 and chip away his health. So he tried ducking to block the 3 and what I did next was do a hop kick for a juggle. After that I started to mix it up and 3-1 him.

The only time I felt like I'm outplaying was fighting PR Rog yesterday. In the first two games I faced him I was in control in the first two round but made one small mistake and it went from fighting PR Rog to just Balrog when he activated V-trigger. Frustration kicked in and lost all four games against him.

The morale of the story is that I'm fighting the character more than the player.

How can I be gdlk like Zombe?

kirblar

I realize this, it doesn't change that the game currently has characters with move overlap but their own takes on them. He hasn't even been in a Street Fighter proper, he doesn't need a lariat or SPD, they could do whatever they want with him. They practically made Karin into a brand new character for V.
Doing Haggar w/o those is not really an option. Karin kept her Rekkas, her signature mechanic.

mbpm1

True. We can only hope they're aware of the problem and are planning to address it. Fingers crossed.

I really don't think they think it's a problem. Even if they did, look how they fixed the problem of anti-air jabs and jump ins.

All I really hope for is half-way fun character designs for me to try out for a few weeks.

Well, if all that comes PLUS balance changes, I wouldn't see why the neutral in general won't steer away from CCs into GGs. Incite people into using other buttons for better damage, decrease the advantage on some CCs, and let characters work with their gameplans better, and things will be ten times more fun.

I still want an explosive game. I just want some damn room to breath and not get too explosive.

Doing Haggar w/o those is not really an option. Karin kept her Rekkas, her signature mechanic.
Her rekkas don't act like rekkas, and she also had counters that are absent altogether. They really don't need to be hamstrung to anything especially for a character that's never actually been in any of the games as playable. Even if they had to keep a move or two they could still frame him so radically differently -- we have a ton of characters with fireballs, and more with grabs, to say that Haggar would have to be a Zangief clone is just creatively disingenuous.

Edzi

I really don't think they think it's a problem. Even if they did, look how they fixed the problem of anti-air jabs and jump ins.

All I really hope for is half-way fun character designs for me to try out for a few weeks.

It's clear they didn't think it was a problem while designing it, but I don't see how they can ignore that the community thinks its a problem. IF the whole relaunch thing is true, it would imply that they're at least trying to rectify the perceived problems. So yeah, fingers crossed.

AA jabs aren't the problem. AA jabs are in so many fighting games.

But in those fighting games, there are better options than just jabbing people out of the air (you could make a case that the jabs aren't as powerful in some of those games as well, but that varies). So if they started giving people a reason to use juggle points instead of mindlessly mashing that jab, and maybe letting some jump-ins catch AA jabs a little more (but not too much), I'd be golden. Abby has some of these elements packed in. I honestly think he's a prototype of what's to come.

Edzi

But in those fighting games, there are better options than just jabbing people out of the air (you could make a case that the jabs aren't as powerful in some of those games as well, but that varies). So if they started giving people a reason to use juggle points instead of mindlessly mashing that jab, and maybe letting some jump-ins catch AA jabs a little more (but not too much), I'd be golden. Abby has some of these elements packed in. I honestly think he's a prototype of what's to come.

AA jabs ARE a problem in this game, for a number of reasons. First and foremost, they're annoying as shit and don't make sense in terms of the actual moves/animations interacting (the mixup afterwards is aggravating too). Then there's the issue that only some characters have them, and they act as a low risk universal (and mashable) AA option for only a seemingly arbitrary portion of the cast that's also more reliable than their other more damaging AA options. They're also the result of a weird decision to nerf the ever loving crap out of air normals, giving them such pitiful hitboxes that players can consistently walk under crossups, stand jab heavy air normals, and even CROUCH JAB most jump ins with some characters. The obvious solution should be to fix air normal properties to make them good, and then give characters good medium/heavy ground AA normals to contend with them. Instead, Capcom is doubling down on the weird jab AA/weak air normal thing as if they don't know how to change it, which is concerning.

mbpm1

I think it's because they are reliable.

Fact is when your aa jab is more reliable than a cr. hp, why would you *want* to use cr hp in a game where every character off a jump in gets like 300 damage? Even if you can get like 200 damage off a good juggle, is it worth it to try when that good juggle is less than the damage tradeoff from a jumpin still hitting and your good juggling normal is probably significantly higher startup i.e. you might get hit anyway? And the range characters jump at is usually crossups?

Outside of certain situations, I don't think so. I'd welcome them addressing some of that instead of mindlessly creating more juggle points.

AA jabs ARE a problem in this game, for a number of reasons. First and foremost, they're annoying as shit and don't make sense in terms of the actual moves/animations interacting (the mixup afterwards is aggravating too). Then there's the issue that only some characters have them, and they act as a low risk universal (and mashable) AA option for only a seemingly arbitrary portion of the cast. They're also the result of a weird decision to nerf the ever loving crap out of air normals, giving them such pitiful hitboxes that players can consistently walk under crossups, stand jab heavy air normals, and even CROUCH JAB most jump ins with some characters. The obvious solution should be to fix air normal properties to make them good, and then give characters good medium/heavy ground AA normals to contend with them. Instead, Capcom is doubling down on the weird jab AA/weak air normal thing.

They don't make sense in most games they are in. But you have a good point about how they aren't a universal option. Necailli gets to have a good one when he really doesn't need that shit. Necallli doesn't need a lot of shit but you know.

A mix would be good, now that you mention it. I don't want people to be mindlessly jumping around, and some decent AA options would stop that, however, sometimes you gotta let people jump in.

I think it's because they are reliable.

Fact is when your aa jab is more reliable than a cr. hp, why would you *want* to use cr hp in a game where every character off a jump in gets like 300 damage? Even if you can get like 200 damage off a good juggle, is it worth it to try when that good juggle is less than the damage tradeoff from a jumpin still hitting and your good juggling normal is probably significantly higher startup i.e. you might get hit anyway? And the range characters jump at is usually crossups?

Outside of certain situations, I don't think so

Yeah, if they had just buffed the AAs across the board to make them reliable in general, people would be foolish to opt for the jab. Imagine if Birdie's AA option was applied to everyone in some format.

Just imagine.

Maybe not that good but still.

Top Bottom