• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The making of Sonic the hedgehog (a Splash Wave video)

Youtuber Strafefox just published this new Splash Wave video about the origins of the first Sonic that I found really interesting because I believe it will make some people appreciate Sonic much more than they do now.

https://youtu.be/hY740NlQLmA

Lately there's been many threads and discussions about whether Sonic games are actually good or not and, surprisingly, many think that there's never been a good Sonic game (see the latest dunkey video about game reviewers, for example).

I'm certainly not a fan of 3D sonic games at all but I really think the original ones were good to very good games and this video was a good reminder of that to me.

Time for me to replay Sonic 1, 2 and 3 in preparation for Sonic Mania, by the way!

DMczaf

"At the final stages of production, a segment in which Sonic was suppose to perform in a music band was dropped."

...son of a bitch, his shitty friends were there the whole time!! THEY WERE ALWAYS THERE!

"At the final stages of production, a segment in which Sonic was suppose to perform in a music band was dropped."

...son of a bitch, his shitty friends were there the whole time!! THEY WERE ALWAYS THERE!

Sonic's human girlfriend was there all along as well.

latest

Though to be fair, unlike Elise, this seemed to be more of a comical Jessica Rabbit-esque kind of scenario.

I wonder why Sonic history things never touch on the theft of the Sonic drive-in US logo and why there wasn't some big lawsuit.

andymcc

Banned
I wonder why Sonic history things never touch on the theft of the Sonic drive-in US logo and why there wasn't some big lawsuit.

Prolly because the original Japanese sonic logo is different than the US one. It would have been a nice point in the localization bit on this vid.

But it didn't really look that much like it.

Funny how Sonic Team wanted Sonic to look more feral with sharp fangs, claws and a much more unkempt look, but it was Sega of America who wanted to tone the character down. I remember reading somewhere that Sega of Japan was turned turned off by the Americanized airbrushed look (which I thing was also the artwork used for the US cover) which was something that Sega of America proposed for the final design of the character. That style was still used for America box art, but the Japanese artwork was used for every other region. Even the Canadian Sonic 1 box used the European box art, which was based on the Japanese box art.

Definitely worth the watch, thanks OP! Grew up on Sonic (Genesis was my first console), so it took be back to all that blue hedgehoggy goodness back in the day!

leroidys

Just got around to this. Nice video, really impressed by the production and content on this channel. Basically just wanted to bump this so more people would see it.

Hx93

loved how relaxing and informative the video was. This just made me crave for Mania even more. Subbed

Top Bottom