• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

Zedark

I think we should calm down a bit for both sides of predictions about MHW
It doesn't need to sell 7 millions in the west alone to be profitable but at the same time it seems some user is implying that sell 2 millions in the west and 1 million in Japan would be seen as a great achievement

And both are wrong imho
To me the answer would be somewhere right in the middle: 5 million or more would be a good result, as it represents a successful transition to consoles and creates a base on which the series will growth bigger. I do have doubt that 5 million is achievable, though.

The thing about "considerable" growth for western Monster Hunter sales is that that would have to be numbers that overshadow Street Fighter and rival Resident Evil. They've done nothing but stumble this generation and I've seen nothing that suggests that MHW is the magic title that's going to be the homerun for them when larger franchises have suffered a downward sales spiral under a special brand of incapcompetence. I'm not optimistic about the prospects when their first move was to shit on the in-built audience they already had (again).

Vena

I am weary of PC expectations until we know release date and quality of port.

With the segregated communities, if it doesn't take off, it will die off and that will hurt legs on any platform. I also don't know how much we can actually expect the Xbox to contribute here.

Implying that the existence of MHW and its recent announcement isn't a major reason of the lack of popularity of MHXX is straight up delusional.

So if I'm understanding correctly, Monster Hunter World will cause a decline in sales in Japan because it's not on a portable system but the game that is on a portable system will underperform in Japan because of the game that is not on the portable console? Which is it?

MHXX will underperforming because we've been seeing a decline in MH sales for the past couple of releases and it's a late port of a game that released on the more popular 3DS 5 months prior.

The only place where MH World is really going to have a negative impact on MHXX sales is in the west which is irrelevant because the localisation hasn't been announced yet. Don't talk to me about delusion.

If MHW adopts GaaS, it can monetize a smaller audience into high profitability... Assuming that a hypothetical MH: Space Exploration Portable doesn't drain the interest in World. I'd sooner actually be concerned about the dichotomy therein unless you (idiotically) do not localize one version in every market.

If you have two like-but-disparate products on very different hardware, you end up competing with yourself.

GaaS definitely in an option yeah, but that requires engagement and right now they're only trying to attract an audience. For GaaS you need an audience that is invested in the game. Only if MHW sells reasonably well, it's worth the transformation into software as a service.

The problem with GaaS is that you can't release new products while you're operating the 'GaaS game' (what a stupid name lol). If they keep their 3DS audience and MHW audience separate, that's gonna be a problem since both games will have the Monster Hunter name.

You don't grow a brand by selling less unit.

Even if you sell 1 million more units in the west as a result (yeah, growth!)

I assume part of that will be the mindshare aspect. Attempting to shift the thinking from "Monster Hunter = portable" to "Monster Hunter = console". (Unfortunately, this ignores that the shift happened naturally; none of the console Monster Hunter games are on Capcom's Platinum list other than Tri.) If that's the case, they have to be mad careful on what they give the Switch, because World has to be seen as the "better" game.

Vena

GaaS definitely in an option yeah, but that requires engagement and right now they're only trying to attract an audience. For GaaS you need an audience that is invested in the game. Only if MHW sells reasonably well, it's worth the transformation into software as a service.

The problem with GaaS is that you can't release new products while you're operating the 'GaaS game' (what a stupid name lol). If they keep their 3DS audience and MHW audience separate, that's gonna be a problem since both games will have the Monster Hunter name.

Right, that's my point. If they run two different product lines, they're going to end up competing with each other and it makes the prospect of long-term GaaS hard to grasp.

But GaaS makes a lot of sense for the product. It will be an online co-op focused action game, the brand has had extensive DLC (for free) in the past that can now be monetized. You can monetize it as loot boxes, or sell skins directly.

Capcom's transitioned SFV into a game's as service and much in the same way stripped a lot of the "arcade" from SF to focus on competitive and online focused play where Fight Money is earned and used to get you into the store. They've likewise stripped the local/ad-hoc from MH, and I would be surprised if they didn't adopt a similar "Fight Money" approach online in some capacity and got a store up to monetize the audience.

I assume part of that will be the mindshare aspect. Attempting to shift the thinking from "Monster Hunter = portable" to "Monster Hunter = console". (Unfortunately, this ignores that the shift happened naturally; none of the console Monster Hunter games are on Capcom's Platinum list other than Tri.) If that's the case, they have to be mad careful on what they give the Switch, because World has to be seen as the "better" game.

And then, ya, you start running into this issue as well when you run two parallel product lines of extensively the same product.

Fularu

Banned
Prety much

MHTri tried what MHW is attempting, on a system that was wildly successfull worldwide (and not in just 2 out of 3 main territories). I fear that forgoing what made MH successfull in the first place will tarnish the brand in the long run while making a select few happy.

I've been playing MH since the PS2 days, mhw is already preordered but Instill believe Capcom is taking a prety risky gamble woth no immediate backup plan.

Kyoufu

Prety much

MHTri tried what MHW is attempting, on a system that was wildly successfull worldwide (and not in just 2 out of 3 main territories). I fear that forgoing what made MH successfull in the first place will tarnish the brand in the long run while making a select few happy.

I've been playing MH since the PS2 days, mhw is already preordered but Instill believe Capcom is taking a prety risky gamble woth no immediate backup plan.

It is risky yes, but they definitely do have an immediate backup plan. It's the topic of concern among many in this thread. It's called the Nintendo Switch :p

What people seem to be completely forgetting is that they have another MH team preparing a Monster Hunter title for their domestic market which expects a portable MH experience. The domestic market is covered.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The only place where MH World is really going to have a negative impact on MHXX sales is in the west which is irrelevant because the localisation hasn't been announced yet. Don't talk to me about delusion.

YOU SAID "YET". XX IS COMING TO THE WEST ISN'T IT!!!

schuelma

What people seem to be completely forgetting is that they have another MH team preparing a Monster Hunter title for their domestic market which expects a portable MH experience. The domestic market is covered.

I hope for Capcom's sake they are using a lot of World in developing the Switch title. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

Vena

I think we're discussing this very thing, actually, and how it complicates matters.

Rncewind

that means MH is on decline since PSP.

brutal

this sound dumb to be honest because for effiency they are gonna reuse assets and stuff from world and then whats the point ?

LordRaptor

I mean... the inherent riskiness in this was that MH began life as a console title, and didn't actually see success until its move to portable, due to "LAN game" style local multiplayer.
Its like trying to turn... I don't know, DOTA2 back into a traditional RTS.

Kyoufu

I hope for Capcom's sake they are using a lot of World in developing the Switch title. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

The two teams have always shared ideas and assets together. It's the Frontier team I weep for who are rarely ever thrown a bone from the main teams lol.

Shahed

Right, that's my point. If they run two different product lines, they're going to end up competing with each other and it makes the prospect of long-term GaaS hard to grasp.

But GaaS makes a lot of sense for the product. It will be an online co-op focused action game, the brand has had extensive DLC (for free) in the past that can now be monetized. You can monetize it as loot boxes, or sell skins directly.

Capcom's transitioned SFV into a game's as service and much in the same way stripped a lot of the "arcade" from SF to focus on competitive and online focused play where Fight Money is earned and used to get you into the store. They've likewise stripped the local/ad-hoc from MH, and I would be surprised if they didn't adopt a similar "Fight Money" approach online in some capacity and got a store up to monetize the audience.

And then, ya, you start running into this issue as well when you run two parallel product lines of extensively the same product.

But that doesn't have to remain the case. They're in the building the audience for the West phase and will have a portable version for Japan to maintain their market there. But if/when Monster Hunter expands or gets a foothold in the West, they could easily kill off the 'portable' line and have World and it's follow ups on PS4, Switch, XB1 and PC and use the one product to serve both markets.

I believe the only reason World isn't on Switch (and many other games including the delayed DQXI) is purely because the timing of the Switch release was awkward and unfavourable for the current development pipeline/schedule for games that had been in planning from years ago. Come Fall 2018 and beyond, I expect Switch version of most games

schuelma

But that doesn't have to remain the case. They're in the building the audience for the West phase and will have a portable version for Japan to maintain their market there. But if/when Monster Hunter expands or gets a foothold in the West, they could easily kill off the 'portable' line and have World and it's follow ups on PS4, Switch, XB1 and PC and use the one product to serve both markets.

I believe the only reason World isn't on Switch (and many other games including the delayed DQXI) is purely because the timing of the Switch release was awkward and unfavourable for the current development pipeline/schedule for games that had been in planning from years ago. Come Fall 2018 and beyond, I expect Switch version of most games

Yes. This a thousand times yes. This has always made the most sense to me, especially after the rumors of a severely "westernized" experience with Worlds appeared to be unfounded.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I don't see how is obvious the potential Monster Hunter Switch will come out only in Japan, as if Switch is a Vita. If Capcom goes ww, which is the likely scenario, there we'll see how well they treat the brand and what its future will be.

Kyoufu

I don't see how is obvious the potential Monster Hunter Switch will come out only in Japan, as if Switch is a Vita. If Capcom goes ww, which is the likely scenario, there we'll see how well they treat the brand and what its future will be.

I hope nobody actually believes the new MH on Switch will be confined to Japan only.

hussmk

Neo Member
Does that mean much ? We only had one new main MH on consoles ever since the IP got big...and that was MH Tri. Not saying that we should expect much more...but the Wii also wasnt really the system for this type of experiences no matter how hard Nintendo some partners tried.

This. It's a bit surprising seeing most people compare userbase totals between the two as if that were the only factor that should be taken into consideration.

Wii may have had the larger userbase, but it wasn't necessarily the console gamers chose to play experiences similar to MH. The two platforms didn't share many games, but the few they did certainly prove this point.

Tales of Graces and Samurai Warriors 3 both underperformed on Wii, Tales of Graces port even went on to sell BETTER on PS3 despite being a year late and launching on a considerably smaller userbase.

The bigger example, in my opinion, is Sengoku Basara 3 which released day one on both PS3 and Wii 2010. PS3 version outsold Wii version by almost 5:1 in the first week.

In addition to the difference in userbase, online gaming has also become more popular in Japan since MHTri's days. Sure, it's not as popular as it is the West, but we've seen Western games (and online games such as Destiny and Rainbow Six Siege) do well over the last few years. Wii did not really have anything like that, so that was another factor holding MH back there.

Another important point is that growth outside Japan is not only growth in the West. There's also Asia where PS4 has done remarkably well and Nintendo platforms are practically non-existent. Capcom would have had to make the jump to HD now anyway, starting development on a PS4 title a couple of years ago to get the train going was a good decision IMO, and now it will be much easier to move the portable series to Switch if they decide to go down that road (and I'm pretty sure they will).

Mind you, this doesn't mean MHW will match MHTri sales in Japan, nor that growth outside Japan will meet Capcom's expectations, but it shows that it isn't as black-and-white as some make it sound.

Fularu

Banned
It is risky yes, but they definitely do have an immediate backup plan. It's the topic of concern among many in this thread. It's called the Nintendo Switch :p

A 2019 title (at the earliest) isn't a backup plan. Unless you're talking about MHXX which won't do much on the switch (and rightfully so).

schuelma

This. It's a bit surprising seeing most people compare userbase totals between the two as if that were the only factor that should be taken into consideration.

Plus, there is a clear generational gap between World and the earlier titles. Tri had some nice additions but was basically just the same Monster Hunter, at least graphically.

hussmk

Neo Member
Plus, there is a clear generational gap between World and the earlier titles. Tri had some nice additions but was basically just the same Monster Hunter, at least graphically.

Indeed, MHW is generally a more desirable product compared to MHTri. We just have to see if that will translate into sales.

I mean... the inherent riskiness in this was that MH began life as a console title, and didn't actually see success until its move to portable, due to "LAN game" style local multiplayer.
Its like trying to turn... I don't know, DOTA2 back into a traditional RTS.

Online must be more popular in Japan than it was in 2005 though right? Not that I know how many people played FFXI or PSO.

Kyoufu

I hope nobody believes Switch version will be irrelevant at west or Monster Hunter is capable to support 2 parallel series.

If MHW succeeds in the west then MH on Switch can only benefit from the raised awareness and mindshare of the brand. Capcom has a lot more to gain from MHW than just raw sales and profits from that project alone if we look at the bigger picture.

I'm just hoping MHW is a success outside of Japan.

schuelma

If MHW succeeds in the west then MH on Switch can only benefit from the raised awareness and mindshare of the brand. Capcom has a lot more to gain from MHW than just raw sales and profits from that project alone if we look at the bigger picture.

I don't disagree. I also don't see why releasing XX Switch in the West this Fall would be a bad thing for the brand.

Kyoufu

I don't disagree. I also don't see why releasing XX Switch in the West this Fall would be a bad thing for the brand.

You'd have to ask them that. If it were up to me I would have localised XX a lot sooner than this Fall. :(

My assumption is that they don't think a G expansion to Generations is worth localising and marketing.

What is the point of GaaS tho if 2M+ Japanese players buy a new or half-new full-priced Monster Hunter game every year over and over again?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

Only Capcom would

You'd have to ask them that. If it were up to me I would have localised XX a lot sooner than this Fall. :(

My assumption is that they don't think a G expansion to Generations is worth localising and marketing.

Still feel it would be better than leaving western switch owners nothing until the hypothetical 2019 or later title.

LordKano

So if I'm understanding correctly, Monster Hunter World will cause a decline in sales in Japan because it's not on a portable system but the game that is on a portable system will underperform in Japan because of the game that is not on the portable console? Which is it?

MHXX will underperforming because we've been seeing a decline in MH sales for the past couple of releases and it's a late port of a game that released on the more popular 3DS 5 months prior.

I said "a" major reason, not the only one. MHW is a new, attractive and major MH releasing less than 9 months after MHXXHD. People that were hungry for a HD MH game and thus initially interested in MHXXHD logically lost all their interest as soon as MHW was announced, provided they are able to wait a few months.

I don't see how it couldn't have an impact. Even if it wasn't MHXX but a different, less lazy title, the impact would still have been present.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
A delayed Steam release will kneecap MHW (full price) sales IMHO. And my issue with MHW is not the franchise going multiplatform, is the abandonment of their previous audience. MH was a strong seller on the 3DS in the west, and Nintendo themselves were very involved in the promotion of the brand.

Again, is a whyNotBoth.gif scenario. By now, it should be clear that the Switch as a potential platform was absolutely mismanaged by Capcom. And them working on a portable MH game now is not a guarantee that things will work out in the future. When did the development of that game started? Will their audience will be there in 2020 or whenever? Is there really no chance for another portable game to steal their previously locked market? I mean, Nintendo is doing everything they can to stuff its system with MP games that highlight its local co-op potential.

Shahed

I don't think it's a bad thing, but I also think it's a matter of timing. When is Stories out in the West? if say World is done by March 2018 worldwide, then if they had done XX as well, it could mean 3 Monster Hunter games in a very short space of time and they may not want to do that..

The problem is they've always done staggered releases with a significant delay between Japan and the West, and now World will be a simultaneous launch. So even a game releasing a year or more apart in Japan all of a sudden have similar time frames in the West when one is a staggered region release, and the other is a worldwide launch. If Stories had a faster localisation time and/or World wasn't simultaneous then I think XX would have come over. I still think there's a chance, but they might not want to talk about it till Stories is out

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

MHXX Switch is:
on a brand new expensive console
an HD port of a spinoff
a dual analog-big tv screen focused episode (as USP from the previous episode, MHXX on 3DS)

so it clearly aims at the core of the core of the franchise lovers.

So, the main target and the USP of the MHXX Switch version has been heavily toned down from the MHW announcement

It's not that weird, you know?

I don't think anyonw will anticipate a great decline in Japan for MH5 (aka MH Generation 2 Switch, or whatever) if/when they will announce it for Switch for (I don't know) Fall 2019

Datschge

Such a successful concept to apply to the one big consistent moneymaker you have left, Capcom! This comparison makes me even less optimistic about Capcom handling MHW well.

LordRaptor

Online must be more popular in Japan than it was in 2005 though right? Not that I know how many people played FFXI or PSO.

Its not a question of "online" versus "local" multiplayer - its more that it is a very high mandatory co-operation game design, and 'local' multiplayer is inherently more robust in terms of people being selfish dicks / trolling / rage quitting midway / etc than online is.

People who want it to succeed as a console title should probably want "more western design" streamlining / features added to not make online with randoms an utterly miseable experience (which realistically is how most people new to the series would be playing it)

It's Capcom when was the last time common sense prevailed .

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./19. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.08} (¥4.990)
22./00. [PS4] DiRT 4 <RCE> (Ubisoft) {2017.07.27} (¥7.980)
23./14. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.03.18} (¥5.800)
24./20. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥4.980)
25./00. [PSV] Utsusemi no Mawari <ADV> (Matatabi) {2017.07.27} (¥6.800)
26./23. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.571)
27./22. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.12.01} (¥4.700)
28./21. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.04.27} (¥5.700)
29./24. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.12.03} (¥2.400)
30./31. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800)
31./13. [3DS] Ever Oasis <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.07.13} (¥4.980)
32./25. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.04.28} (¥4.700)
33./12. [PS4] Under Night In-Birth Exe:Latest <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2017.07.20} (¥6.800)
34./07. [NSW] Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star # <ACT> (Marvelous) {2017.07.20} (¥7.800)
35./30. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.12.10} (¥8.400)
36./29. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5) {2016.12.15} (¥4.800)
37./26. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars <SPT> (Nintendo) {2017.03.30} (¥4.980)
38./32. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Game of the Year Edition <Call of Duty: Black Ops III \ Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Awakening \ Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Eclipse \ Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Descent \ Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Salvation> <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.06.29} (¥5.900)
39./36. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Climax <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.04.20} (¥5.700)
40./34. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.02.23} (¥7.800)
41./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter Stories Ver.1.2 Update <RPG> (Capcom) {2017.07.27} (¥3.990)
42./35. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2016.06.23} (¥3.600)
43./40. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700)
44./16. [NSW] Cars 3: Driven to Win <RCE> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2017.07.20} (¥5.700)
45./39. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980)
46./33. [3DS] 100% Pascal Sensei: Kanpeki Paint Bombers <ACT> (Konami) {2017.07.13} (¥4.980)
47./41. [3DS] Tomodachi Life [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700)
48./45. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.200)
49./27. [3DS] The Alliance Alive <RPG> (FuRyu) {2017.06.22} (¥6.280)
50./47. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX <Kingdom Hearts \ Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories> \ Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX <Kingdom Hearts II \ Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ \ Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep>> <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.03.09} (¥6.800)

Top 50

3DS - 20
PS4 - 14
NSW - 7
PSV - 6
WIU - 3

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |  2.462.000 |    987.000 |    590.000 | 16.910.000 | 15.992.000 |

ggx2ac

40./34. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.02.23} (¥7.800)
41./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter Stories Ver.1.2 Update <RPG> (Capcom) {2017.07.27} (¥3.990)
42./35. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2016.06.23} (¥3.600)
43./40. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700)
44./16. [NSW] Cars 3: Driven to Win <RCE> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2017.07.20} (¥5.700)
45./39. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980)
46./33. [3DS] 100% Pascal Sensei: Kanpeki Paint Bombers <ACT> (Konami) {2017.07.13} (¥4.980)

Oh, so that's where Monster Hunter Stories (re-release) was.

Top Bottom