• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White supremacist forum site Stormfront seized by domain hosts

Afrikan

Not gonna lie, I used to visit there like once a year just to get a read on their current mindset.

I remember they always talked about a plan to buy a bunch of land in Argentina and all move there. Anyone know what happened?

Their arguments about sports were hilarious. You have one side who still watch and discuss sports (on the forum) that have a majority of Black players, and the other side saying they shouldn't watch those sports.

Former Green Bay and 9ers White RB, Travis Jervey was a hero over there.

All of chan would probably go down...that would be a dream scenario for me.

Though I've gotten good info from fit and fa before they went all pro-roids and pro-goth streetwear.

Yeah, 4chan should be next.

In some sense, it is worse than Stormfront or Daily Stormer -- as it is not up front about its bigotry and racism. While it may have started out as a normal forum, it has become such a magnet for the complete worst of the Internet -- it should be taken down.

/pol/ alone is such a cancer that I do not care if it all gets taken out.

gngf123

About 15 years too late.

Stormfront helped make white nationalism mainstream again, and their regular raids in their early days helped spread their ideas into other communities.

Forward

But it was a very convenient tool for getting them to congregate. It made keeping tabs on them cake, for the FBI, I would wager. Now what?

Took them long enough.

I also once looked up Stormfront years ago out of morbid curiosity. I found a big thread dedicated to how amazing American History X is. I was just wondering how the hell you can misinterpret a film that badly.

I wonder what they thought of Green Room.

A lot of morons cannot read between the lines, and they just desperately infer whatever to satiate their confirmation bias and pat themselves in the back. It's why they champion their special mindset, because they don't have true and tried reasoning skills. They ain't bright, is all.

I can't believe something good came out of Trump being president. I mean we all knew racists were out there, but now they basically put a spot light on themselves. Who knows maybe some of them will get the reality check they need and see it for what it is. I wouldn't be surprised if many of them just thought it was normal because they were surrounded by it all the time. Good to see that people and companies aren't letting racist shit slide anymore.

We are arriving at that place of the cycle where all the dirt is coming out the shadows, it's spring cleaning for the collective consciousness, again, and we might just end up a little more enlightened when this Trump episode is over, in terms of the evolution of the mindset of society. His ilk will be shamed, if only everyone else condemns them and rubs it in how wrong they are, and how corrupt. People will become stronger when they unite against this stupidity pervading the world, against what Trump stands for, even as people suffer, society will learn to want to become better humans, another step.

Cvie

In some sense, it is worse than Stormfront or Daily Stormer -- as it is not up front about its bigotry and racism. While it may have started out as a normal forum, it has become such a magnet for the complete worst of the Internet -- it should be taken down.

4 chan was always a magnet for the worst of the internet

Oh, not Stormfront, but DailyStormer. Cloudflare shut them down according to this Vice news segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULXWJgmhP1c

What he says in the end makes sense, and that is something that conservatives, liberals and libertarians should be able to agree on-

Yes, a small bunch of tech CEOs cannot be the deciders of what goes offline and what stays (ISIS beheading videos being okay). This dude took it off because he gave into pressure- not because he had strong moral obligations.

It just proves that these companies have no spine, and they just want to not take part of any the decision making, but are easily manipulated once it goes viral that they are co conspirators to whatever the fuck is going on.
And that is a problem. It's easy to ignore that problem because it's a liberal minded CEO taking off nazis from his platform, but imagining the same situation with a conservative CEO in a different industry caving into pressure and removing a left wing outlet from a significant platform.

What I think there should be, is a committee that deals in ethics to determine and pass judgement on when a website is a viable risk of passing on hate speech that manifests itself into real life and getting people hurt.
Free speech laws in most countries are limited to the extent that they don't get people hurt, and an objective court needs to exist that can determine, examine and pass judgement on when a online community/forum/website is dangerous.

At the same time, you also want such a committee to protect against sites that are accused of being hate speech, but isn't it. You have numerous far-right pro-Israel sites that call everyone who criticizes the Israeli government as antisemitic hate speech, and you don't want spineless CEOs shutting down sites that call out Israel over baseless accusations either.

Note; I don't have a problem with CEO of Cloudfare taking off the Dailystormer, but I have a problem with it only happening after he got a guilty conscious following twitter viral pressure. He really needs to take off other equally terrible shit now like the ISIS sites. Not doing that is indirectly saying that he is okay with it; He opened pandoras box. Now he needs to follow through. It is disgusting if he will only draw the line with nazis and not fucking beheadings and systemic mass rape that endorses mass murder.

Yup. Now these companies found a backbone??

Heather Heyer being mocked and insulted after being murdered finally made these folks a bad look..without Charlottesville, these places would be as safe as they were three weeks ago. Guess they did themselves in with all their celebrating a terrorist attack on a young American white woman in their own country..

spons

Gold Member

Comparing the entirety of 4chan with the nazis and white supremacists of Stormfront? Come on now. Most boards are informative and just fun to browse and post on. It started as an anonymous image board and it's still just that. The most interesting thing about it is that it'll most likely outlive sites like Reddit anyway, which facilitate extremism even more by allowing you to create forums yourself.

Comparing the entirety of 4chan with the nazis and white supremacists of Stormfront? Come on now. Most boards are informative and just fun to browse and post on. It started as an anonymous image board and it's still just that. The most interesting thing about it is that it'll most likely outlive sites like Reddit anyway, which facilitate extremism even more by allowing you to create forums yourself.

They're both terrible. It's harder to shame a 4chan user though, since each new user makes them a loss, while if you post on Reddit you're giving them money which they use to fund white supremacy.

kess

Not gonna lie, I used to visit there like once a year just to get a read on their current mindset.

I remember they always talked about a plan to buy a bunch of land in Argentina and all move there. Anyone know what happened?

Read up Nueva Germania if you've got the time.

4chan is a meeting ground for pedos, racists and school shooters.

Site should have been axed ages ago.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I kind of think for a long time, private internet hosts and providers have greatly indulged themselves in believing they are servants of free speech and egalitarianism merely by virtue of being involved with the internet. They have absorbed the pervasive notion of the internet as the new protector of freedom and human expression.

But they are not a government and protecting free speech is not their job. They have different powers as private companies and because of that, different responsibilities. The funny thing is that in my time online I have seen countless people and groups silenced and driven into hiding by harassment, white supremacists, nationalists, fascists, and every other terrible subculture the internet has vastly enabled.

It's almost as if, who would have thought, the "paradox of tolerance" is real. That enabling those who wish to eliminate all others results in less freedom of expression.

Yeah, it was all downhill after they established /pol/ and the attitude towards neonazis was no longer "go back to Stormfront, tryhard."

It's unfortunate because some of their gaming and media stuff is still good, though increasingly less so as /pol/ and GG's poison has spread. There's not a lot of the 4chan that produced anonymous, helped organize Occupy, and gave us MLP left anymore.

There is no reason for these white supremacist or otherwise racist toxic websites to exist besides utterly backwards Internet philosophies of pseudo-free speech that have been around for decades. They claim impartiality but in truth its all been christened by these domain hosters and forum administrators like on Reddit.

So, you want to take Reddit down next? Ridiculous. Stormfront/daily stormer were both dedicated to racism. Stop comparing Reddit to Stormfront.

I like /a/, /co/ and /m/ though

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
please don't post nsfw game gifs of a guy cutting a nazi's throat. not because nazis are good, but because people should be able to read threads without looking at goregasm gifs.

Ogodei

Yeah, 4Chan would probably be fine if they purged /pol/ and /b/

Fuck 'em don't feel sorry for them at all.

But hopefully, this act of executives waking up and deleting content off the internet because they don't agree with it will not export to the EU.

Yeah, 4Chan would probably be fine if they purged /pol/ and /b/

It's actually why /pol/ always went down and /b/ was routinely purged. Moot used to erase and remove /pol/ (/news/, /new/) and go on banning sprees for people who got too toxic, racist, bigoted, etc., especially outside of their containment board, but even within it. I mean IP range nukes from orbit, here.

He always warned that 4chan wasn't Stormfront and will never be Stormfront as long as he was there.

Lo and behold, he leaves, didn't cleanse /pol/ first, and it becomes Stormfront again.

There was always that risk, because anonymity allows free use of it without risks to a degree. But getting banned and shuffling off elsewhere meant that it wouldn't have that stink. He also banned a lot of the gamergate stuff, too....eventually.

It was by no means a shining example of all the good things anonymity can bring, but it wasn't, under Moot's control in any case, as bad as people want to make it out to be.

/pol/ and /b/ were always toxic, /vg/ mods and janitors kept the gamergate stuff to a minimum, which actually sent people who would be sympathetic to the "we're under attack by people calling you toxic because you're men" meme to /pol/ for further...brainwashing.

Edit: Oh, I thought I was in a more recent thread. Oops.:/

It took someone dying for all these companies to suddenly realize there's no place for white supremacy

Horrendously sad state of affairs to finally realize the impact of hate speech online - but the timing is bad. It's already created a group of current gen sympathizers, which should have been squelched a decade ago.

But it was a very convenient tool for getting them to congregate. It made keeping tabs on them cake, for the FBI, I would wager. Now what?

Alternative versions of popular sites were made just for racists and other weirdos.
Like Voat for Reddit, and Gab for Twitter.

As for 4chan/8chan closing, is it that simple? Aren't there numerous chans out there?

sphagnum

Banned
Alternative sites of popular sites for racists exist now.
Like Voat for Reddit, and Gab for Twitter.

As for 4chan/8chan closing, is it that simple? Aren't there numerous chans out there?

There will always be another one that pops up but if you smash the most popular boards it forces the cockroaches to flee. Keeping them from being unified helps prevent them from spreading their message.

There will always be another one that pops up but if you smash the most popular boards it forces the cockroaches to flee. Keeping them from being unified helps prevent them from spreading their message.

True. An abrupt end to these 2 sites would make it hard for another chan to get nearly as big.

Eiji

tenor.gif

Top Bottom