• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WV Cop Slams Guy Knocking Him Out Cold

F34R

Why does failure to relax justify a violent takedown in your scenario?
And didn't mean it? What is the expected logical result of a leg sweep with corresponding head push onto a brick street?

That wasn't a violent take down. It was a simple trip. He wasn't pushing his head down, he had his hand on the shoulder.

Look, I can go on plenty about what can happen when someone starts pulling away, even if it is the slightest, once that person knows he/she is going to jail. I'll leave it at that.

Like I said, it wasn't wrong to do it, but I wouldn't have at that point.

I don't think he meant for the guy to be knocked out. Shit happens sometimes. There wasn't anything wrong with taking him down though.

That being said, I wouldn't have taken it that far at that point.

I would have talked a little more with the guy since I had my hands on him already. If he didn't relax and kept trying to move away while being cuffed, then I'd take him down. Didn't look, at first glance, necessary at that point.

Thread title is a bit misleading. I was expecting a slam. "Cop trips guy, guy knocked out" would be more appropriate.

This post is a good reflection of why America's law enforcement is the way it is.
"shit happens"

F34R

The cop didn't show any remorse or care for the guy. He put his leg in his back while he cuffed him very nonchalantly. Is the leg in back standard procedure?
Standard? Not for me it wasn't. His feelings for the guy, I dunno, I guess you can take that however you want to.
This post is a good reflection of why America's law enforcement is the way it is.
"shit happens"

Huh? Is everything perfect in every situation? No. Sometimes things happen out of our control even when trying to do the right thing all the time. That's what "shit happens" means. Goodness.

That wasn't a violent take down. It was a simple trip. He wasn't pushing his head down, he had his hand on the shoulder.

Look, I can go on plenty about what can happen when someone starts pulling away, even if it is the slightest, once that person knows he/she is going to jail. I'll leave it at that.

Wasnt a violent takedown, when his head cracked on the ground. The word reckless would be generous. If it wasn't wrong, and you're bending credulity to justify this, why would you not have done it.

Please, by all means, go on plenty.

EdmondD

It wasn't a violent take down he just smashed a man's head into pavement. An action which can cause death or serious injury including paralysis. Shut the fuck up with your bullshit.

Kinyou

I don't think he meant for the guy to be knocked out. Shit happens sometimes. There wasn't anything wrong with taking him down though.

I would have talked a little more with the guy since I had my hands on him already. If he didn't relax and kept trying to move away while being cuffed, then I'd take him down. Didn't look, at first glance, necessary at that point.

Thread title is a bit misleading. I was expecting a slam. "Cop trips guy, guy knocked out" would be more appropriate.
Is this the only possible way the cop could take him down? Shit doesn't need to happen if you use a technique that doesn't slam someone face first into concrete.

highrider

Banned

That guy could barely stand and was a tiny guy. Cmon man. He didn't just trip him either, that type of sweep has you in control of how the fall plays out. Save the takedowns and stringent behavioral standards for legitimate threats, not some stumbling drunk that is clearly compromised mentally and physically.

Ever

Banned
I don't get the outrage

Yeah the guy hit his head awkwardly but I get what the cop was going for

Sure he could have executed a bit better but he had to do something because the drunk guy was moving around

Looks like an accident more than brutality

yall need to calm down xd

Fat4all

Banned
That wasn't a violent take down. It was a simple trip.

mmRIO7V.gif

Police officers in America are taught and encouraged to respond with overwhelming force to the slightest dilemma.

If you're constantly encouraged to swing a hammer everything will look like a nail.

Hence when dude pulled away in the slightest whether to resist or try to drunkenly face the officers the initial response was swift and otherwhelmimgly unwarranted. I'm not justifying it because you can't. But I'm explaining the culture in law enforcement that permits and encourages it. Of course they justify it to themselves by blaming the citizen and dehumanizing him via blaming him for being drunk and "resisting".

I'm untrained. And I could think of a few alternatives to a leg sweep and face plant on a man I outweigh by 100+ pounds. There was no physical threat to the cop. Verbal warning should have been used with a chance to allow the man to comply. But once again most law enforcement "professionals" won't see it that way.

Any challenge to their authority warrants maximum effort. I expect people completely indifferent to the epidemic of police brutality in the US to make excuses to justify or hand wave this away.

Standard? Not for me it wasn't. His feelings for the guy, I dunno, I guess you can take that however you want to.

Huh? Is everything perfect in every situation? No. Sometimes things happen out of our control even when trying to do the right thing all the time. That's what "shit happens" means. Goodness.

Case in point. Except it was perfectly within is control. I know leg sweeping someone like that on pavement can fuck a person up. If a cop doesn't realize this and take appropriate deescalation steps as an alternative they shouldn't be wearing a badge as they're inept.

jerd

You right Lord knows what that guy who could barely stand would have done. Glad the cop is safe

I don't get the outrage

Sure he could have executed a bit better but he had to do something because the drunk guy was moving around

Again, why do you find it acceptable that slightly moving around is justification for extreme escalation to violent takedown? How could anyone be ok with this?

Never mind that the cop seems to have about 80lbs on him?

Violence in response to violence is justifiable. It can even be justified in stopping actual flight or resistance. When it is justified, the scale of violence used should be proportional to the threat. Under no theory of policing should anything in this video be justified.

F34R

Wasnt a violent takedown, when his head cracked on the ground. The word reckless would be generous. If it wasn't wrong, and you're bending credulity to justify this, why would you not have done it.

Please, by all means, go on plenty.
I would have told him to stop moving around again. The cop in the video told him to stop, and right after that, tripped him. I would have given him a least another warning about it.

I guess my pushing a kid out of traffic, and I pushed him too hard and broke his arm. I guess that was violent too eh?
It wasn't a violent take down he just smashed a man's head into pavement. An action which can cause death or serious injury including paralysis. Shut the fuck up with your bullshit.
If you want to call it violent, that's fine. He didn't even touch the guys head. It was unfortunate for sure, but he definitely did not slam the guys head. Go frame by frame in the video and you'll see that he didn't.

Violent would have been picking the guy up off the ground and slamming him purposely. I guess our definitions of violent are a little different.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't get the outrage

Oh no the five foot docile 90 pound drunk was "moving around!"

Yeah... There was no fucking reason at all for that to happen. He didn't really appear to be resisting getting the cuffs on, if anything he just seemed staggeredly drunk or high.

Here's hoping for a lawsuit with the video evidence, though I won't hold my breath for a positive outcome.

Kinyou

I don't get the outrage

If that was accident the cop didn't seem very concerned. Looked a lot more like this was what he was going for.

____

Again, why do you find it acceptable that slightly moving around is justification for extreme escalation to violent takedown? How could anyone be ok with this?

Just rewatched and he didn’t even attempt to verbally warn the guy.

0 to Fuck your life, Civilian...in the blink of an eye.

kirblar

I don't get the outrage

a) he goes 0-60 on the guy, not trying anything less forceful like just pressing him down
b) after it happens, he's completely nonchalant about it

These are not normal behaviors.

I would have told him to stop moving around again. The cop in the video told him to stop, and right after that, tripped him. I would have given him a least another warning about it.

I guess my pushing a kid out of traffic, and I pushed him too hard and broke his arm. I guess that was violent too eh?

If you want to call it violent, that's fine. He didn't even touch the guys head. It was unfortunate for sure, but he definitely did not slam the guys head. Go frame by frame in the video and you'll see that he didn't.

Violent would have been picking the guy up off the ground and slamming him purposely. I guess our definitions of violent are a little different.
What does your personal anecdote have to do with this story? Other than to create a false equivalence.

I don't get the outrage

That's bull shit.

He did it to disable him and not give a fuck about the guy's safety. Cop went straight to cuffing him instead of checking to see if he was still okay or alive.

EdmondD

I'm sure he did not mean for him to hit his head. Regardless, his careless actions caused violence upon this person. Violence to his skull. A very vunerable part of the human body. Whether intentional or unitentional violence was done to this person who was obviously drunk and not a very large or threatening person.

So it's OK because he may have become violent? That's not how it should be. A professional goes according to the situation. In the situation the thread is about there's no excuse as that guy was indeed pretty docile.

Not sure how the video you posted is relevant. And it actually doesn't show violence there's a skip in the video.

And that's also bull shit.

Nah. Dude is correct on that one. That's standard procedure in any law enforcement situation. Even if you're shot if they view you as a suspect or are under arrest they'll cuff you first.

Upon researching a little more, yep, this was Huntington PD. The video was (apparently) uploaded by a local law firm. From the video, it looks like they're in the west end on Adams Avenue, which is a pretty high concentration of poor people.

I have friends that work for WSAZ, the local NBC affiliate. I'll try passing this on to them and see if they can do anything.

RS4-

I don't get the outrage

Found the cop.

Ever

Banned
Again I don't get it

You don't know what people are capable of

I'm not trying to defend his actions but it's pretty clear he didn't mean for his head to hit like that

idk why people are jumping to conclusions that he didn't give a fuck because he wasn't freaking out on video

unnecessary demonizing of individuals for making mistakes isn't healthy, promotes unfocused outrage

no i'm not a cop lol

just saying it's important to look from each side of the issue

chill out xd

____

Again I don't get it

I'm not trying to defend his actions but it's pretty clear he didn't mean for his head to hit like that

idk why people are jumping to conclusions that he didn't give a fuck because he wasn't freaking out on video

unnecessary demonizing of individuals for making mistakes isn't healthy, promotes unfocused outrage

no i'm not a cop lol

chill out xd

Both sides. Many sides.

Again I don't get it

no i'm not a cop lol

chill out xd
You're right, the cop should have shot him, because we don't know what he's capable of. The guy could have gone super Saiyan, so he should have killed him preemptively. Because you don't know what people are capable of. Just take your beating citizen xd lolol

Cvie

Again I don't get it

no i'm not a cop lol

chill out xd

I know what people are capable of

even if he landed on another body part it was still excessive

you are not trying to defend it you are defending it

Again I don't get it

no i'm not a cop lol

chill out xd

Once again anyone is capable of anything so that's a silly point.

The point is the cop had a myriad of alternatives to deal with someone that slightly pulled away when he was drunk and outweighed by 100 pounds.

People are upset because if was overkill to begin with. Regardless of the cops intentions.

Public servants should rightfully he held to a higher standard as they are given incredible power and authority over civilians. Yet their power and authority is derived from the very same people they brutalize.

The outrage is very focused: Cop shouldn't have slammed dude like that just for slightly pulling away.

III-V

Anyone who thinks this is ok is sick. This guy could be damaged for life. It is not the function of police to treat people like their own fucking property.

Top Bottom