• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

theC64 Mini announced in glorious 16 colors

Castef

Banned
C64_BOXSHOT_3D-2_UK-Work-in-progress-1024x706.png

From the official page:
Launched in 1982, the C64 home computer went on to dominate the home computer scene throughout the 1980s. Millions of units were sold across the world and have a special place in the hearts of its former owners.

35 years later and it’s back. THEC64® Mini plugs into any modern TV via its HDMI port and gamers can play any one of the 64 licensed classic pre-installed games. This includes games from original legendary developers such as Epyx, Gremlin Graphics, Hewson and The Bitmap Brothers; and boasting titles such as California Games, Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe, Paradroid and Impossible Mission. Most of these were rated over 90% by leading publications of the day, with many winning coveted awards. From sports to shooters, platformers to puzzlers, there’s a plethora of titles to keep the most discerning retro enthusiast happy.

First in the range to be released will be THEC64® Mini

As befits a home computer you can also plug in a standard USB PC keyboard and use as a classic C64 to type in those old BASIC computer listings or program new games.

THEC64® Mini will hit the shops in early 2018 with a suggested retail price of £69.99/$69.99/€79.99.

eso76

As much as i love the C64 (best thing in history) i am not sure why i would spend 80€ for 64 30 years old games. I mean, this thing should be able to play my old tapes and floppies for it to be worth anything really.

Hanmik

this is such a lackluster product..

- The cord for the joystick looks to be even shorter than the NES minis.
- Those 35 games.. California Games, impossible mission.. and then a lot of fluff... such a bad lineup.
- You need to use another keyboard to type??? wtf?
- They will launch a fullscale model later ??

this makes no sense to me..

just check the video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-K9CCLghiE

eso76

Since it talks about plugging in a USB keyboard, I'm assuming the built-in keyboard is nonfunctional?

if the picture on the box is accurate in scale relative to the joystick it could be functional but that wouldn't make it usable.

EDIT: Hadn't seen the video. Yeah, no way to use a keyboard that small

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Uhhhh....I want this.

EDIT: Though it would be rather weird to attach a keyboard to a keyboard.

EDIT2: On second thought, a full-scale C64 with working keyboard would be a much better idea.

64bitbros

this is such a lackluster product..

- The cord for the joystick looks to be even shorter than the NES minis.
- Those 35 games.. California Games, impossible mission.. and then a lot of fluff... such a bad lineup.
- You need to use another keyboard to type??? wtf?
- They will launch a fullscale model later ??

this makes no sense to me..

just check the video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-K9CCLghiE

I agree with everything, except for the games. Sure this line up has fluff, but games like Cybernoid, Hawkeye, Bounder, Paradroid, Creatures etc are not. Far from it. The line up is mostly fine. It could have used a Barbarian's and IK+ though.

Fredrik

I wonder where they drew their inspiration from
If you're thinking about NES Classic Mini then no The64 was first, I think the indiegogo campaign went up in April 2016 and NES Classic Mini was announced in July same year.

£70, are they mad? I'd pay £20 at most for the nostalgia trip. £10 for a Vic20

I'd take one of these over any amount of NES and SNES minis any day of the week.

£70 is absolutely fine. It looks awesome.

And, it's a personal computer too. So it does so much more than just games. POKE 53280,1.

And, it has Monty On The Run, the best game of all time.

Fredrik

As much as i love the C64 (best thing in history) i am not sure why i would spend 80€ for 64 30 years old games. I mean, this thing should be able to play my old tapes and floppies for it to be worth anything really.
I have it preordered but I kind of agree, being able to connect a 1541 floppy drive to it would be awesome. This is basically the 64DTV in a different casing with 34 extra games. 64DTV was moddable though so who knows it might actually happen.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Cute, i hope the Amiga one will follow.
Probably a working keyboard isn't compatible with the small size and the games are 64 not 35, so let's wait for the full list.

For those who want something closer to the real deal:

PLUS – Full sized, fully working version also coming in 2018 as well!

Ensoul

Loved the C64 back in the day and the Epyx games are cool but overall the library of games for this leaves something to be desired.

CountZeroOr

Neo Member
I'd be interested in this if there were a way to load more programs into it through something other than typing in BASIC listings - as then it would be a great way to spur more homebrew C64 development, and would give existing homebrew C64 developers more of an audience. Instead, that's kinda crappy.

Also, not having a working keyboard is also kinda dumb, though USB keyboards are pretty cheap these days.

Seik

Banned
Game line-up needs to step up.

If it's hackable in the way that you can manually add more game in it, my interest will rise.

epmode

This thing sucks. Lineup is mostly garbage, controller cord is ridiculously short, doesn't even ship with a keyboard.

I wish these mini console things had some kind of shop where you could buy more games.

JP

I think with machines like this I'd actually be happy to buy a collection on the PS4 a bit like the Atari Flashback collections. I know they're not mass market but at the right price and with the right games, there must be a market for it.

That keyboard brings back memories of being a little kid trying to get one of these working, i'm sure my keyboard was more BROWN though.

I wonder where they drew their inspiration from

Must have been AtGames and all their terrible megadrive devices. Kappa.

Freddo

I pre-ordered the full-sized THEC64 almost a year ago (to be released next year after the Mini), and for being such an early adopter I found out yesterday that I'm getting a THEC64® Mini for free too. Very nice!

I hope it includes Project Firestart, it's a C64 game I never played but would like to.

Top Bottom