• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "The Last of Us" Trailer

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
(Uncharted franchise) The character models in the cutscenes have way more detail than in gameplay, not even a debate.
Not really, no. There's been comparison pictures that show this without much doubt. I've spun the camera around close to Drake in UC3. It's all kinds of crazy what kind of detail is there.

Not really, no. There's been comparison pictures that show this without much doubt. I've spun the camera around close to Drake in UC3. It's all kinds of crazy what kind of detail is there.

maybe ND have some amazing LOD system where it will seamlessly swap character model as you swing the camera closer to your character face, so when you position the camera to get a close up look of the face, it looks very detailed, but when you back to gameplay view, it switch to a more manageable lower poly model?

Hydrargyrus

Awesome.

ND is pushing PS3 to the limits again. And the thing tha amazes me much is that they're making something new at this time...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What? It's specially noticeable in the faces.
This is closeup of Drake from UC1 during gameplay. If you find similar cutscene shots, you'll see that the lighting is a bit better, but the polygonal and texture detail is basically the same:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3512/3180426114_c333a0b91e_o.jpg

I'm pretty sure this held up with later games too. In UC3, the detail on him is far better than in previous two games if you get camera close to him like that, just like it is in cutscenes. However, the lighting and subsurface shader is better in cutscenes, making everything look better.

WrikaWrek

Banned
This is closeup of Drake from UC1 during gameplay. If you find similar cutscene shots, you'll see that the lighting is a bit better, but the polygonal and texture detail is basically the same:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3512/3180426114_c333a0b91e_o.jpg

I'm pretty sure this held up with later games too. In UC3, the detail on him is far better than in previous two games if you get camera close to him like that, just like it is in cutscenes. However, the lighting and subsurface shader is better in cutscenes, making everything look better.

I've played Uncharted 2 and 3 multiple times, and I can tell for example that in the french castle (uncharted 3), there's a semi real time cut scene that is triggered in the old rooms below (Drake is identifying Drakes's symbol or something in a map), and the difference between that and the pre rendered cutscenes is big.

Whether it is the amount of polygons being used or anything else, all I know is they look way better in cutscenes.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hehe, it's true. The lighting/ SS shader does make difference though, especially in situations where the lighting is not 'ideal', strong and directional. There's some realtime scenes (even where you control Drake) in UC3 where they use this better lighting too, though. I think they all have a fixed camera view so you can't make any closeups.

Pranay

Cutscene:
Uncharted-3-yemen_drake_scared.jpg

In-Game:
avermediacenter20120113.png

Here's the highest quality MP4 of the trailer: http://www.mediafire.com/?kufdebn111x661x

I've removed the PLAYSTAYSHN! sting from the end, that kind of stinks up the mood of the whole thing. I've done this without re-encoding btw. You still get the original quality that it was encoded to by Sony.

Thank you very much.

(Uncharted franchise) The character models in the cutscenes have way more detail than in gameplay, not even a debate.

Well nope.avi

Cutscene:
screenshot_269258_thumb_wide620.jpg

Ingame:

Naughty Dog confirmed that since Uncharted 2, they don't add extra lighting or shadows or alter character models for cutscenes compared to ingame. Ingame and cutscenes share the same models and lighting, but still the ingame models don't have the advanced facial movements of the cutscenes. That's the difference.

Am I serious? Man, I can only trust what my eyes see. I've played Uncharted 3, 3 times now. When I'm playing the game and I turn around to see him, I don't see the detailed model those images are showing me, how am I supposed to react?

Except you do. Well model wise you do. Textures do get an upgrade on cutscenes. That plus the better lighting (which in game can lead to aliasing problems) and the controlled environment makes them look better.

elcapitan

There's really no need to have so much detail in the face when the camera is so far away to begin with, but it's nice that Naughty Dog has the faces look as good as they do in gameplay. The cuscenes are usually a good barometer for how the overall game looks, and its going to look fantastic.

Loudninja

PS blog comments:

About the trailer
+ Eric Monacelli on May 16th, 2012 at 10:09 am said:

it’s all in-game footage.

About E3
+ Eric Monacelli on May 16th, 2012 at 10:08 am said:

We’ll have some stuff to show you perhaps :)

About multiplayer
+ Eric Monacelli on May 16th, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

We have not announced any plans about online multiplayer but there will be some kind of multiplayer aspect to the game.

We already knew about the online though.

Peterthumpa

Thank you very much.

Well nope.avi

Cutscene:
screenshot_269258_thumb_wide620.jpg

Ingame:

Naughty Dog confirmed that since Uncharted 2, they don't add extra lighting or shadows or alter character models for cutscenes compared to ingame. Ingame and cutscenes share the same models and lighting, but still the ingame models don't have the advanced facial movements of the cutscenes. That's the difference.

So now Uncharted has 4xMSAA and PC-like textures. Ok.
My Uncharted doesn't look like that during gameplay.

I can understand this with JC2, but not RDR. That game is amazing on multiple levels of art and tech.

Now did you play JC2 extensively on consoles or just see someone play it on PC? Sorry if I'm not understanding you correctly.

Edit:

Kinda wish I didn't say anything in the first place as I knew: A) people would strongly disagree and B) it's off topic.

For just open world consoles games? Nothing beats Infamous 2. If you haven't played, then you haven't seen what others are talking about.

I love RDR, but it's a step below. Not a huge step, but it's there. JC2 isn't even in the conversation.

When I'm playing the game and I turn around to see him, I don't see the detailed model those images are showing me, how am I supposed to react?

Your lyin eyes! j/k

Part of it is probably the TV too. I know that when I had friends over watching me play U3, he wondered what the difference was. Outside of the MP characters, the difference isn't that big.

On-topic, I'm slowly getting hyped for this.

PS blog comments:

About the trailer

About E3

About multiplayer

We already knew about the online though.

keyword being "ingame" :p

In case you didn't noticed, the pictures are downsampled.

And aliasing is irrelevant to the discussion of the character model. As for the textures, maybe you should play Uncharted 3 again. Or 2. Or 1.

Pranay

Am I serious? Man, I can only trust what my eyes see. I've played Uncharted 3, 3 times now. When I'm playing the game and I turn around to see him, I don't see the detailed model those images are showing me, how am I supposed to react?

you must have played the game upscaled o_O
Characters Model in uncharted 3 are fantastic even though the game has jaggies

383251_10150984410155456_897810455_21871413_1300588640_n.jpg

373810_10150984414905456_897810455_21871437_265923878_n.jpg

388234_10150984418755456_897810455_21871454_166805277_n.jpg

Cutscenes are great so far and I'm looking forward to the gameplay reveal. The type of game it is will determine if this is a "Day 1" or "$20" affair. I'm not fond of survival horror or stealth elements and I could see this game using both.

I am beginning to wonder just what they will achieve with next gen hardware

Basically what you see here but with higher resolution and more frames per second.

Pranay

Textures is awesome in uncharted 3, Jaggies are not visible since screenshots are not 720p, i guess fb did downsample a bit but apart from jaggies, the game looks pretty much the same

Peterthumpa

Cutscenes are great so far and I'm looking forward to the gameplay reveal. The type of game it is will determine if this is a "Day 1" or "$20" affair. I'm not fond of survival horror or stealth elements and I could see this game using both.

Basically what you see here but with higher resolution and more frames per second.

Probably more detailed geometry, better particle effects and better AA methods.

Pranay

You mean this -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37909187&postcount=42

:p ?

Jett has posted uncharted 3 screenshots if they were not 720p

i doubt it, character models will look on a whole different level just like every generation, i don't know the technical term for it but I think they will have better shaders and more polygons?

can anyone help me out, What would be the major difference between the quality of Drake's face and something like the faces in square enix cgi? polygons and shaders right?

I loved the use of Hank Williams for this trailer, but I'm still not sold on the thematic direction of the game. It just feels trite. If the dialogue is well written and performed, however (as it is in the Uncharted series), I could still see this being worthwhile for the characters alone.

i doubt it, character models will look on a whole different level just like every generation, i don't know the technical term for it but I think they will have better shaders and more polygons?

can anyone help me out, What would be the major difference between the quality of Drake's face and something like the faces in square enix cgi? polygons and shaders right?

ND character face model is already good enough that any more polygon probably won't be too apparent. but for ND though, that polygon budget can go toward the body and clothes. Last of Us character cloth are noticeably lower detail compared to the face imo. so next gen they'll be able to go nuts with the clothes as well, buttons, zipper, fur, leather, nylon shaders, etc and all of them should animate realistically according to the physics.

Sky Chief

ND has a job posting on their website for a character artist who can make "million poly models game ready"

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/careers/character_artist2/

U2 and U3 use about 30,000 polys for Drake, GOW3's Kratos model was about 20,000 polys

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
They do it like that so that they can render things as quickly as possible, but their cutscenes allegedly do run in realtime on a normal hardware. I remember when UC2 was being announced, some of IGN people reported they saw the train cutscene running on PS3, being paused, camera manipulated etc. The thing is, what they can't run in real time easily are stuff like crossfades between two completely different scenes (even though they did this during gameplay in UC3, in one particularly awesome moment :p ), and they can't load game data ahead while the fully realtime cutscene is running either, so it makes sense to do what they do, to make flow of the game as seamless as possible. When there's no limitations like this, some of the cutscenes in games, especially in UC3, were fully realtime. You could tell how lighting gets some boost when it happens too.

How you know that?

I have the 115MB trailer in best quality available. If anyone wants it, just tell me what's a good place to upload it to. It's in MP4 format, so you can see it on PS3 as well.
Yes please. Use mediafire. :)

Probably more detailed geometry, better particle effects and better AA methods.

I'm sure those will be in effect as well but that kind of stuff is more subtle and will be mostly taken for granted by most end users. I don't "see" the polygons in these character's faces, for example, they already look damn good to me but I don't play games looking for the technology. Better hair and clothes is something I would expect to see for sure, but still kind of subtle.

What would be the major difference between the quality of Drake's face and something like the faces in square enix cgi? polygons and shaders right?

IMO, Drake's face looks better, despite the difference in technology because of the more realistic style involved. Granted I am not looking at the shape of the eyes to see if I can see the telltale straight lines of polygons and most people won't be.

I hope it's a big leap to PS4 but I realistically don't expect enough of a change in the finished product from UC2/3 for it to be apparent to average joe gamer, unless it's obviously clearer (res) or runs smoother (framerate). Of course they will buy it anyway because it's about the games.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'd say the character looks like a hybrid of Drake and Brolin. Basically, I think he looks more like Drake than the people who say there's literally no resemblance (they look like they could be brothers), but less like Drake than the people who say it's an exact clone.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they started with Drake's model and changed it.

Top Bottom