• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Survey (62,000 Surveyed): Gamers aren't excited by motion controls.

Mlatador

Banned
Jesus Christ. Not that shit again!

Please tell me, how "hardcore" can you be, if you can't use motion controls? How "hardcore" are you, if you don't even try to tweek motion controls where it's possible and needed (like Wii FPs for example), but still cry "omg, it's shit"?

How hardcore or terribly out of shape must you be, if you can't shake long enough in Donkey Kong Country Returns to see the first world boss?

And how hardcore can you be, if you are not able to control Link properly in Skyward Sword?

DKCR, The Conduit1 & 2, Red Steel 2, Metroid Prime Trilogy Wii, Sin & Punishment 2, Zelda Skyward Sword, Mario Kart - all make fantastic use of motion controls. They definitely improve the gaming experience.

How can anybody want to stick to "standart controllers" forever is beyond me.

It's so annoying to see so many "hardcore" gamers - whenever such a topic comes up - whine about motion controls. If somebody really considers himself a hardcore gamer, one who has played many difficult games from nes to now , where he had to learn how to deal with even unfair situations, then motion controls should'nt be a problem for him.

Because I want progress, I want motion controls (and because they are awesome!)

95 million Wii's out there and 35% of those surveyed (of what I'd assume are mostly hardcore gamers if they were visiting IGN), dont own one?

Hmmm

DKCR, The Conduit1 & 2, Red Steel 2, Metroid Prime Trilogy Wii, Sin & Punishment 2, Zelda Skyward Sword, Mario Kart - all make fantastic use of motion controls. They definitely improve the gaming experience.

A: DKCR's motion controls add nothing, the game could easily have been played using the CC.
B: Conduits, Metroid Trilogy and S&P? So Pointer controls = motion controls?
C: Mario Karts motion stunts in the air "definitely improve the gaming experience"? Hmmmm

MYE

Kill motion controls with fire please.

Motion constrols should have only been used for Dance games and other casual shit like that. Nintendo broke the bank with it, but motion controls tacked on Nintendo games made me so sad.

Why? Super Mario Galaxy, Sin and Punishment 2, Pikmin 2 NPC, Metroid Prime Trilogy, etc are all better games for having motion controls.

Coolwhip

Banned
Why? Super Mario Galaxy, Sin and Punishment 2, Pikmin 2 NPC, Metroid Prime Trilogy, etc are all better games for having motion controls.

That's very subjective. I hate motion control in most games. In SMG too. With a normal controller I would have enjoyed it much much more.

MisterHero

ITT a lot of people would never appreciate arcade games

Sometimes games are designed to be and can be played differently.

Please tell me, how "hardcore" can you be, if you can't use motion controls? How "hardcore" are you, if you don't even try to tweek motion controls where it's possible and needed (like Wii FPs for example), but still cry "omg, it's shit"?

How hardcore or terribly out of shape must you be, if you can't shake long enough in Donkey Kong Country Returns to see the first world boss?

And how hardcore can you be, if you are not able to control Link properly in Skyward Sword?

It's so annoying to see so many "hardcore" gamers - whenever such a topic comes up - whine about motion controls. If somebody really considers himself a hardcore gamer, one who has played many difficult games from nes to now , where he had to learn how to deal with even unfair situations, then motion controls should'nt be a problem for him.

So, not liking motion controls means you aren't hardcore. Cool, I don't want to be hardcore.

Mlatador

Banned
A: DKCR's motion controls add nothing, the game could easily have been
played using the CC.
B: Conduits, Metroid Trilogy and S&P? So Pointer controls = motion controls?
C: Mario Karts motion stunts in the air "definitely improve the gaming experience"? Hmmmm

A: I disagree. It fit's the theme of Donkey Kong, a huge raging gorilla who's out on a trip to get his mothefucking bananas back, perfectly. Stomping on the ground by activly moving your hands added a simple but very neat little feature to the gameplay that made playing such a familiar concept (a platformer) feel fresh again. Never ever have I felt DKs gorilla rage more than in DKCR!

B: Why the separation?
C: Yes, as well as holding a freakin wheel in your hand, with which you steer, improves the mario KART experience a lot. Doing stunts that way is definitely better than just pressing a button.

L00P

The only motion-controlled game I really liked was Red Steel 2. Most motion-controlled games I played either used waggle or the pointer controls. Wii motion plus arrived a little too late imo.

At the end of the day I think motion controls add little benefit to using it and I would be better off with traditional sticks and buttons. Motion controls are not a big deal anymore

Anyone else get whiplash from smh so much at Night_Trekker's posts in this thread

Also dry mouth due to mouth being open from jaw being on the floor

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I liked Boom Blox and Metroid Prime 3.

But the fact remains that in 6 years of the Wii's life (and the shorter life of the Move) there hasn't been a good 1:1 controlled melee dueling game. Motion controls will remain a failure in my eyes until such a game is made.

mugwhump

Is there anyone out there who honestly thinks the PS4 and next Xbox won't ship with standard motion controls, or some form of alternative control input?

Honestly?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I had a Wii and I was into it at first. Bu then the gameplay got tiresome and annoying. Regular controllers are the best IMO.

KarmaCow

I always find it weird that pointer controls are considered motion controls. I can see an argument for games using Resort style aiming, but even then it's a stretch. Is using a mouse considered motion controls?

I mean yes technically, but I don't really lump with what is commonly called motion controls.

A: I disagree. It fit's the theme of Donkey Kong, a huge raging gorilla who's out on a trip to get his mothefucking bananas back, perfectly. Stomping on the ground by activly moving your hands added a simple but very neat little feature to the gameplay that made playing such a familiar concept (a platformer) feel fresh again. Never ever have I felt DKs gorilla rage more than in DKCR!

B: Why the separation?
C: Yes, as well as holding a freakin wheel in your hand, with which you steer, improves the mario KART experience a lot. Doing stunts that way is definitely better than just pressing a button.
I didn't find it very enjoyable holding up a plastic steering wheel over just using a standard controller, I felt the motion controls just detracted from the experience, like it usually does.

SykoTech

Holy shit @ the motion control defenders, especially the first 1.5 pages of this thread! The amount of pre-emptive rage, strawmen attacks and seemingly built up angst over console wars from 2007 and onwards is amazing.

Yep. Amazing how crazy people get over when people don't like what they like. Mlatador's post is particularly hilarious, instantly assuming that people that don't like motion controls must be out of shape or can't do them properly. Pathetic.

Makes it easy to tell which posters are worth listening to here though.

Karak

Child of Eden simply rocked with Kinect. I enjoyed the controller play as well but damn with Kinect it was something else.

"The number one reason people aren't interested in motion controls is because the software isn't interesting"

I completely agree with this. I don't care for motion controls either way, but the fact that there is not one quality game that is made for motion controls is what gets me. Sure if they made a AAA shooter or action game that was specifically designed for Kinect,and actually worked correctly then I would play it. But most of the games are just dancing and sports.

Aselith

"The number one reason people aren't interested in motion controls is because the software isn't interesting"

I completely agree with this. I don't care for motion controls either way, but the fact that there is not one quality game that is made for motion controls is what gets me. Sure if they made a AAA shooter or action game that was specifically designed for Kinect,and actually worked correctly then I would play it. But most of the games are just dancing and sports.

Steel Battalion will be here soon enough.

Mlatador

Banned
Yep. Amazing how crazy people get over when people don't like what they like. Mlatador's post is particularly hilarious, instantly assuming that people that don't like motion controls must be out of shape or can't do them properly. Pathetic.

I don't mind people saying they don't like it, but many people come to pretty fast conclusions when it comes to motion controls. They don't know anything about deadzones or sensitivity, but claim the motion is shit. They haven't even tried it properly.

Then the other who whine about holding the Wiimote is too tiring, but have never tried to rest their hand on their lap (something as simple as that). Many times I played the Conduit 8 hours straight (it's pretty fun online), and haven't had and problems.

Pathetic are only those who are biased toward motion gaming, condemning the technology only because it takes a little bit more effort than just picking up a standard controller.

Good example is Skyward Sword. How big was the outcry in the first few days about the controls. "It's unplayable" and such shit.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I find it hilarious that people rag on pointers then play on dual sticks. Pretty hypocritical. Then again these people spout the "we do not care about PC level graphics" but then fap whenever their console/s would output 720p in 60fps.

Yeah because anti-motion control users have nuggets of wisdom to say as well.

More like "hardcore" gamers who read IGN don't like motion controls. Not surprising!

Love love love the bitter tears over motion controls becoming popular. One of the best things about this gen.

Wow, I find it funny how in the info graphic terms like indifferent and disinterested are used, then to scroll through the thread and read stuff like this.

The little niches "gamers" have barricaded themselves into this gen is really fascinating to see.

ajim

I agree with most of this. Hardcore = Being able to adapt to new gaming ideas and want new challenges. Not the same old.

Unsurprisingly, I see alot of pre Wii ignorance towards motion controls in this thread.

Its hard to have a solid opinion on the mater if your experience with motion controls is either a couple of games played on your cousins Wii, or obviously based on nothing more than what other people say on internet boards.

I've had a Wii since launch and I don't like the Wii motion controls for me personally. For my girlfriend, fine. But for me... no.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

As with most things, there's plenty of chaff on all sides.

On one hand, for the last six years the internet has been stuffed with "Wii SUX motion controls RUINED GAMING" by people who honestly sound as if they have absolutely zero patience, and act as if they literally shook the wii controller around randomly the one time they tried it.

Quite honestly, compared to the sheer number and volume of those people, overzealous motion control defenders are a minority - but they do exist.

In the infamous Skyward Sword threads, I'm the first to admit I called bullshit on a lot of people - not necessarily GAF members, but players in general who were saying things about the game that factually were not true. And the contingent of angry sounding Zelda fans who, despite knowing for years what kind of game SS was going to be, made like they only just found out and were shocked and amazed.

But in the end, the only thing I really asked of people was to draw a distinction between "I do not prefer this" and trying to justify their dislike by manufacturing an exaggerated picture of how objectively horrible the game was.

As often is the case on this topic, I am reminded of back in 2006 when there were gaming blog posts publicly beseeching the game industry to not take away everyone's game pad and make every single game "A Nintendo Waggle Game".

At this point, I feel a reasonable post mortem on the situation would be summarized like this,

- Generation 1 motion control technology interesting but flawed.
- Not for everyone.
- Lots of failed experimental games.
- A few high profile successful games restricted only by the absolute tech limits.
- Many bitter people still dismissing the entire thing, some refusing to recognize the good games are any good.
- Slightly smaller number of people overly defensive, with a somewhat valid point that some persons are unfairly prejudiced.

Motion controls are just fine as long as I can have more fun playing the game with motion controls than without.

Hasn't happened yet, for me anyway.

rpmurphy

Being able to map nunchuck or remote shake to an action in an action-heavy game like CoD is pretty nice on the Wii. That way, I have left thumb on analog stick for movement, left fingers for nunchuck buttons, right finger on remote trigger, right thumb for remote buttons, and pointer for aiming. Essentially having seven or eight independent inputs that are easily accessible.

bomma_man

As with most things, there's plenty of chaff on all sides.

On one hand, for the last six years the internet has been stuffed with "Wii SUX motion controls RUINED GAMING" by people who honestly sound as if they have absolutely zero patience, and act as if they literally shook the wii controller around randomly the one time they tried it.

Quite honestly, compared to the sheer number and volume of those people, overzealous motion control defenders are a minority - but they do exist.

In the infamous Skyward Sword threads, I'm the first to admit I called bullshit on a lot of people - not necessarily GAF members, but players in general who were saying things about the game that factually were not true. And the contingent of angry sounding Zelda fans who, despite knowing for years what kind of game SS was going to be, made like they only just found out and were shocked and amazed.

But in the end, the only thing I really asked of people was to draw a distinction between "I do not prefer this" and trying to justify their dislike by manufacturing an exaggerated picture of how objectively horrible the game was.

As often is the case on this topic, I am reminded of back in 2006 when there were gaming blog posts publicly beseeching the game industry to not take away everyone's game pad and make every single game "A Nintendo Waggle Game".

At this point, I feel a reasonable post mortem on the situation would be summarized like this,

- Generation 1 motion control technology interesting but flawed.
- Not for everyone.
- Lots of failed experimental games.
- A few high profile successful games restricted only by the absolute tech limits.
- Many bitter people still dismissing the entire thing, some refusing to recognize the good games are any good.
- Slightly smaller number of people overly defensive, with a somewhat valid point that some persons are unfairly prejudiced.

I think part of the problem is that motion/touch/Kinect controls are symbolic of the casual influx that happened this generation. "Hardcore" gamers feel threatened by this new demographic, just like they felt threatened when the PlayStation did the same thing in the nineties. So control schemes become a way of separating "us" and "them". The objective validity and quality of motion controls is actually completely irrelevant, they're just an easy target for reactionaries. The term "traditional controls" is just as factually bankrupt as "traditional family".

It's completely possible to have a rational, level headed and nuanced view of alternative control schemes (basically it depends on the game! Funny that) but that's not what we've seen in the last ten years.

cakefoo

What annoys me is the people who act like motion controls are only for casual gamers.

Just because some people like to test more than just the dexterity of their thumbs once in a while doesn't mean they're less of a person than you.

Zissou

Using the wiimote as a pointer works very well for many things, so for me, it depends largely on whether the pointer functionality counts as motion controls- though if it does, it means that when I played Duck Hunt or rented Lethal Enforcers as a kid, I was playing motion control games back then, too. If you exclude the pointer functionality, nearly all of the games with motion controls that I have played and enjoyed (No More Heroes, Super Mario Galaxy, etc.), I enjoyed DESPITE the motion controls, not because of them, and these games would’ve been better by replacing their arbitrary motion control shit with a button press. There was no reason that Mario’s spin attack shouldn’t have been a button, and Mario Galaxy for the most part could’ve been just as brilliant on the gamecube. Reading an earlier post in the thread about how you can map waggle to button presses in Dolphin has me intrigued, since in many instances, forced motion control bullshit has ruined games. Using waggle for rolling in DKCR instead of a button was atrocious.

The only game I can think of where non-pointer motion controls were good is Flower, and even then, it wasn’t a particularly long or demanding game. I have briefly enjoyed playing kinect here and there, but it’s something I only play when other people are around, and even then, everyone has had enough within an hour or two(casual and hardcore gamers alike). I had some fun with Wii Sports right when I got my Wii, but it got old pretty quickly, and it especially lost a lot of it’s luster when one of my friends managed to do exceedingly well while laying horizontally on a couch and barely moving at all- I guess we had all just fooled ourselves into thinking how we were playing the game mattered.

Until there is at least one game where motion control is integral that has the depth and nuance to allow for hundreds of hours of evolving interesting gameplay, it will remain a curiosity to me (though my personal interest is unrelated to how lucrative motion controls have been- they’ve obviously made certain people boatloads of money.) Hell, maybe there’s a game out there already that would convince me- I just haven’t played one that has won me over. I’m willing to change my mind when I do.

Being able to map nunchuck or remote shake to an action in an action-heavy game like CoD is pretty nice on the Wii. That way, I have left thumb on analog stick for movement, left fingers for nunchuck buttons, right finger on remote trigger, right thumb for remote buttons, and pointer for aiming. Essentially having seven or eight independent inputs that are easily accessible.

I never used Wiimote shake, but nunchuk shake is my go-to reload option. It's great. You never have to take a finger off the trigger or any button, and the separation from the remote guaranteed that it never messed up your aim.

Kiwi

Can anyone name me a great motion controlled game? Anyone?

Ordered Up comes to mind. It's a chef simulation game in a resturant setting where you use motion to set the pan down, peel lettuce, stir pasta. Really good use of motion control in a medium sized game. Very underrated game.

Durante

A: DKCR's motion controls add nothing, the game could easily have been played using the CC.
In fact, they make the game worse. Mapping shake to a button in Dolphin improves it tremendously.
I feel like proponents of motion controls really shouldn't use "waggle" actions such as this in their argument, it only weakens their position.

boiled goose

good with gravy
pointer =/= motion =/= tilt =/= waggle IMO. all involve moving, but they are all so different and can be used appropriately or terrible in different circumstances.

Pointer controls are generally great ie RE4, fps, boomblox, twilight princess bow, world of goo, rail shooters, etc.

waggle is generally bad and tacked on ie DCKR, Twilight princess sword, okami
waggle can be tacked on but ok ie Super Mario Galaxy
waggle can be subtle but feel good for some reason (frees button fingers) ie NSMBWii

Tilt controls are generally good and precise when not tacked on ie Marble games, beat.trip.beat
Tilt controls can be added to games and work well ie platforms in nsmbwii (frees fingers)

Motion controls can be good to adequate and define a game ie Wii sports, wii sports resort, skyward sword
Motion controls can be added to a game and enhance it ie No more heroes, mad world
Motion controls can simply be fun ie Just dance, wario ware.
Motion controls can be terrible.

As you can see, the cases for implementation of motion controls using a wiimote like device are quite diverse.

Pointers are suitable for both core and casual games while motions are better suited for casual games based around moving. Waggle is hard to implement properly and core games using motions well are quite limited. Tilt controls work well for specific types of games and applications.

I can definitely understand why the IGN readership is not particularly excited. Nothing unexpected.

I agree with most of this. Hardcore = Being able to adapt to new gaming ideas and want new challenges. Not the same old.

You are correct in that assumption but at the same token, hardcore doesn't mean that gamers will stick with a control format they feel is inferior or a waste of time. Having an alternative that is fine for them could be enough. This is like the age old argument of KBM vs the Dual Analogs. I know people who hate DA's and prefer KBM. I can play with both, but if given an option I choose KBM as well, not because I can't play with DA but simply because of preference and level of comfort.

I purchased a Wii at launch and then sold it 3 years later. I have PS move set 10+ feet away from me. I simply do not care about using motion control as an alternative. I don't "hate" it, I just can't say that it is "needed" or "better than" the other forms of input we have present today.

rpmurphy

I always find it weird that pointer controls are considered motion controls. I can see an argument for games using Resort style aiming, but even then it's a stretch. Is using a mouse considered motion controls?

I mean yes technically, but I don't really lump with what is commonly called motion controls.
I'd categorize that as a subcategory of motion controls, since the input requires the movement of the entire controller unit relative to physical space. Mouse movement controls in essence are motion controls as well, probably a stronger example than pointer. Case in point, the optical mouse:
First, the LED produces a red light that is emitted onto a surface. The light is reflected off the surface back to the CMOS sensor. The CMOS sensor sends each image that is reflected back to a DSP (Digital Signal Processor) for analysis.

Using the thousands of images that the CMOS sends to the DSP for analysis, the DSP is able to detect both patterns and images and can determine if the mouse has moved, at what distance it has moved, and at what speed. The DSP can determine coordinates that are then sent to the computer that the mouse is hooked up to.
http://www.tech-faq.com/how-an-optical-mouse-works.html

Light emitter -> image capturing -> image analysis
Sounds awfully like your Wii Remote, Move controller, Kinect...

mclem

I think this is how it *should* be - hardcore gamers being ones who embrace the *entire* gamut of gaming, and being intellectually curious about what new experiences could bring.

I don't think it's actually true that that's what the term encompasses these days, which is a shame, and stifles the industry somewhat.

I think part of the problem is that motion/touch/Kinect controls are symbolic of the casual influx that happened this generation. "Hardcore" gamers feel threatened by this new demographic, just like they felt threatened when the PlayStation did the same thing in the nineties.

I *was* that soldier.

I've grown up since. A bit.

So then what, do we blame the developers? Over the years we've had two different types of motion controls, one with a wand, and one with no controller, and only the former has given a few great titles that utilize the gimmick.

Is it really the developers fault? I mean, I'm sure there are awesome things that you can think of, like when you see a tech demo of playing Skyrim with the Kinect. Did you ever think about all the problems that arise when doing that? Would that still be fun after the 5 minutes that the video runs? How do you deal with doing more complex actions? What about the problem of having no physical feedback when doing these things? You see, these are the questions that usually get lost in the shuffle, instead people see unrealistic sizzle-reels, witnessing unrealistic interpretations of what the gimmick could be, and thus garnering unrealistic expectations by many people.

Nope we blame motion controls because it's obvious for anyone with a bit of brain that they can only benefit in few selected genres and enforcing them console wide as standard controls is receipe for disaster.

Hardcore = demanding highest standards and challenging difficulty levels from games.

Retarded controls making it hard to control your character properly != hardcore.

The games should present the challenge, not the controller... Motion controls are far too unreliable for my satisfaction. Some time down the road, maybe.
Hardcore = demanding highest standards and challenging difficulty levels from games.

Retarded controls making it hard to control your character properly != hardcore.
Pretty much this. I like to play games, not fight with a controller to get it to do what i want. And I definitely don't like motion controls being added to everything simply because developers can or think it's the new hip.

mclem

The games should present the challenge, not the controller... Motion controls are far too unreliable for my satisfaction. Some time down the road, maybe.

So what's your take on DDR? That's significantly easier with a joypad, a challenge with a dance platform. It's the *controller* which presents the challenge, there. You're implying that that's inherently wrong, and I challenge that point of view.

Top Bottom