• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis Open |OT| Mario's dusting off the rackets and taking his game online

zroid

Banned
Can someone who's been keeping track compile a list of links to the available Yoshi QR codes? Just got the game and need to get caught up! ^_^

is that a NA thing? I saw a QR code for a white Yoshi out there somewhere but it didn't work for me.
Seems to be European to me. I tried this QR code that's supposed to be for the White Yoshi that I found here, but it didn't work in my NA copy of the game:
5fgQm.jpg

In any case from what I'm gathering, NA apparently has Red and Blue Yoshi for now and it sounds like Europe has Black and White.

zroid

Banned
oooooh man, it's been so long since I've dug into a Mario Tennis game, I had completely forgotten how much I love it. After the tutorial, I just played a singles exhibition and had a smile beaming the whole time.

So glad I didn't listen to the reviews on this one!
getting it for 18 bucks didn't hurt either

Got my copy today, almost put 3 hours in it. Got all the singles cups with Luigi, but didnt really have any difficulty until the last cup

How is it that Baby Mario and Peach, a Luma and Dry Bowser are playable but not Rosalina?

I guess this is how Waluigi fans felt with Mario Kart 7.

zroid

Banned
How is it that Baby Mario and Peach, a Luma and Dry Bowser are playable but not Rosalina?

I guess this is how Waluigi fans felt with Mario Kart 7.

DLC!
could happen...

--

aww yeah, beat the World Open cups without losing a game. I still got it!
time to get clobbered by online opponents

edit: (post-World Open victory spoiler)
oh shit, Star Open cups...

dreamfall

Wait, I just unlocked Star Peach! Have we been playing online star characters too with no differentiation?! I'm ready to hop back online and try this out!

Edit: What's everybody's place online?! I'm standing at NOW "138"- whatever that means! It fluctuates with wins/close losses!

Edit 2: Wow. Totally works- no differentiation at all!

Captain N

What is this Star Peach that I've seen mentioned a few times??

Beat the Champion Cup and lets say you beat it with Yoshi you get Star Yoshi. You can get a Star Character of each Character.

Wait, I just unlocked Star Peach! Have we been playing online star characters too with no differentiation?! I'm ready to hop back online and try this out!

Edit: What's everybody's place online?! I'm standing at NOW "138"- whatever that means! It fluctuates with wins/close losses!

Edit 2: Wow. Totally works- no differentiation at all!

You can tell as there's a small little star next to your head.

«þ»

Any Aussies have feedback on how the online is for this?

I really want to get this but i'm afraid we'll be lumped in with Europe and get super laggy matches :\

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
French reviewers rated Mario Tennis better than in other regions:

Jeuxactu.com : 16/20
Gamekult : 7 +selec
Jeuxivideo.com : 16/20
JVN : 15/20
Consoles+:16/20
Jeuxvideo Magazine : 17/20

Rolland Garros effect?

Played some doubles this morning. I love this game, but I wish there were tournaments that didn't have 2 game sets.

French reviewers rated Mario Tennis better than in other regions:

Jeuxactu.com : 16/20
Gamekult : 7 +selec
Jeuxivideo.com : 16/20
JVN : 15/20
Consoles+:16/20
Jeuxvideo Magazine : 17/20

Rolland Garros effect?

Has to be.

Dave Long

Banned
So what's going on with the reviews? My kids are going to want this regardless, but I have a hard time believing that Camelot screwed this up.

zroid

Banned
"Where's the Pink Yoshi? Our radar tells us he's hiding on a certain game website…"

FFFUUUUUUUU

I can't find it on GamesRadar. must not be looking hard enough ;_;

So what's going on with the reviews? My kids are going to want this regardless, but I have a hard time believing that Camelot screwed this up.

yeah the core gameplay is still very solid. the new shot circles are interesting. they aren't quite so outwardly annoying and unbalanced as the power shots from Mario Power Tennis, and the cool thing is they actually add a layer of strategy.

example: you can fake people out by intentionally not using the shots suggested by the circles.

there isn't a wealth of content but the game is fun. YMMV on value. even though I really like the game, I wouldn't have paid $40 for it. $30 tops.

They didn't screw it up, they just played it safe. The reviewers have all mentioned how same-y it is, and they're right. However, the game of tennis is as sound as it has ever been from them.

Bumhead

Banned

In terms of the core gameplay I don't think they did. I'm honestly hooked on this thing. I genuinely can't fault the tennis gameplay at all. It's incredibly solid and an absolute blast to play, and I think the various shots are implemented well. The only thing I'm not keen on is that I struggle with characters who have no legs, such as Boo, which is really, really weird, but that's me more than the game!

The issues are with content but.. eh.. I'm absolutely fine with the game right now. To me it seems set up very, very similar to Mario Kart 7, whereby there are single player tournaments and cups to win, a ton of unlocks to improve your Mii, some really nice mini-games and online battles. The online could be a little more fleshed out, but the simple act of finding someone to play against online and then playing a game of tennis with them has been incredibly painless and a lot of fun for me so far.

That said, I should probably justify all that by saying this is the first Mario Tennis I've ever played, so some of the subtle gameplay changes and the lack of RPG mode mean nothing to me. But as a first time player I'm enjoying it a lot.

Glix

The music they play at game point sounds so much like the original Castlevania music, it really freaks me out.

zroid

Banned
aaannnnd credits roll!

that bastard Diddy actually had a set point against me once in the final cup, goddammit. I squeaked by with a clean slate of sets though from start to finish :p

I still think Diddy is OP compared to every other char -- a belief I also harboured in Mario Power Tennis

zroid

Banned
Hmmm.

Listen to the reviews or not?

I think if you liked Mario Tennis 64 and/or Mario Power Tennis, you should definitely get it. If you didn't care for those much and just wanted another traditional handheld Mario Tennis, then pass.

$40 is steep though, so maybe order it from Target (if you're in the US), or try the Splinter Cell trade-in thing (if you're in Canada).

Seriously guys, is it possible to beat an Ace level opponent? Try playing as Luigi against Mario... I would really love for someone to show me what in the world I'm doing wrong. It honestly feels impossible. I thought maybe it was because I didn't have Star Luigi yet but after unlocking him and trying again the results were the same.

I won one game online against one guy who couldn't handle serve and volley... then proceeded to get killed by a guy playing a Dry Bowser that did exactly the same thing to me, but was really susceptible to lobs because he went right up to the net.

If you use a star player as a doubles partner does the AI get better? My COM partner wasn't aggressive enough and gave me a hell of a time in Final Cup.

Top Bottom