• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isles of Wonder: Olympic opening ceremonies OST is the album of the forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

Ok, so many of you guys probably watched the opening ceremonies for the London Olympics last night and like many performance art pieces it was hit and miss. However one part that was (mostly) awesome was the music, which was overseen by the British electronic act Underworld:

underworld.jpg

Immediately after the opening ceremonies ended they made the soundtrack available on iTunes. A physical release is to follow on Aug. 6th. The album is called Isles of Wonder.

Isles-of-Wonder-digital.jpg

It is a 2 CD set and the first CD features the music from the performance part of the ceremonies, and this is the part that is hit and miss (There are two Arctic Monkeys tracks, Dizzee, etc.) however the two original pieces performed by Underworld are some of the best music I have ever heard.

First there is the 17 minute epic that was played during the "Industrialization" part of the ceremonies titled "And I Will Kiss..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM0fiegRbTg

The other Underworld tune is the music that was played during the torch lighting, called "Caliban's Dream."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbHIfaeleA

Although the two songs are not back to back on the album they really go well together.

THEN the second CD is the music that was being played during the parade of nations. It's one continuous mix, 22 songs most of which are brand new Underworld and High Contrast remixes. The second CD alone would be worth it, it's the best electronic mix of music I've ever heard. I would highly recommend it!

I've been a huge Underworld fan since Second toughest in the Infants was released way back in the late 90's and I'm really excited to see them get such huge exposure. So check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom