• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo and Poland (and maybe other countries)

Nilaul

This company named Stadlbauer Sp. z o.o is now representing Nintendo in Poland.
However they are doing absolutely nothing; except for running a poorly updated Nintendo Poland Site and facebook page.

They haven't created any promotion, just one short add; which run a year ago for a week or so. Now Nintendo products can not be found anywhere; as apparently they don't sell in a 40 million country. Of course they don't sell if the company that is supposed be doing there Job is actually not doing there job. On top of all Nintendo Products are really expensive. The minimum you would pay for a 3DS in a well known store would be 200 euro; thats of course if manage to find them (however it could be still ordered online from many smaller online retailers). The availability of games if even worse. Take kid Icarus for example, theres only 1 online store selling it in the whole of Poland. The 3DS xl? That doesn't exist in Poland, not a single add has been popped up, not a single poster in store. People don't know that theres a Resident Evil game on it, they don't know that theres a 2nd Mario game coming out on it. They know nothing. The polish retailer ain't even bothered to send out promotional posters to stores.

I created this thread; to get the word out on Poland and so that Nintendo will hopefully force a hand on Stadlbauer Sp. z o.o or at-least changes in distributer to someone who will be bothered to do his Job.

Its a shame that such a market is lost, because of a few.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Update 1 The news got featured on Go Nintendo. Hopefully things will get noticed and things will improve.

Update 2:
Ezekiel Rage@Go Nintendo said:
"I live in Austria, Stadlbauer is doing a bad job over here aswell, but not THIS bad.."

Update 3

A list of things wrong with their own Official Nintendo Site (thanks to Ragus)

- no advertisement of 3DS on the first page, let alone 3DS XL (yet DSi is hanging there)
- 3 or 4 news updates every 3 months
- why can't we get any information how to buy eshop cards? Oh yeah, they are no existent here
- WiiU? What is WiiU? Nintendo Poland has no ide
- lack of KidIcarus,
- lack of promotion of exclusive titles such as resident evil.
- Last story? Nah whats that. Pandoras tower?
- Eshop?Pushmo? Rolling western?
- No mention on how you can connect to e-shop, no mentions of how to buy things on e-shop
- Take a look at there news section: http://www.nintendo.pl/news (E3 is still the newest thing)

Update 3
Kifa@Go Nintendo said:
Also the S-company, as some 'fans' here like to call them, has one of the most... ridiculous PR I've ever witnessed. During one of the discussions on their official Facebook page they said that the lack of promotion and availability is our (customers) fault because... we don't buy their products. How can we buy something that is not there is beyond me.

RedSwirl

Doesn't CDProjekt represent a shitload of companies in Poland? Aren't they actually in charge of translating BioWare's games into Polish as well as Disney movies?

I'd imagine they'd just handle Nintendo's stuff over there.

However they are doing absolutely nothing; except for running a poorly updated Nintendo Poland Site and facebook page.

They haven't created any promotion, just one short add; which run a year ago for a week or so. Now Nintendo products can not be found anywhere; as apparently they don't sell in a 40+ million country. Of course they don't sell if the company that is supposed be doing there Job is actually not doing there job. On top of all Nintendo Products are really expensive. The minimum you would pay for a 3DS in a well known store would be 200 euro; thats of course if manage to find them (however it could be still ordered online from many smaller online retailers). The avability of games if even worse. Take kid Icarus for example, theres only 1 online store selling it in the whole of Poland. The 3DS xl? That doesn't exist in Poland, not a single add has been popped up, not a single poster in store. People don't know that theres a Resident Evil game on it, they dont know that theres a 2nd Mario game coming out on it. They know nothing. The polish retailer aint even bothered to send out promotional posters to stores.

I created this thread; to get the word out on Poland and so that Nintendo will hopefully force a hand on Stadlbauer Sp. z o.o or at-least changes in distributer to someone who will be bothered to do his Job.

(Perhaps this should go to community?)

Regarding Kid Icarus:

http://allegro.pl/listing.php/search?sg=0&string=kid+icarus

As for the topic - same thing that was with Microsoft before - Nintendo doesn't consider Poland important enough to invest more in opening a branch, etc. So we remain Sonyland.

wsippel

Banned
Isn't Stadlbauer some tiny Austrian company also distributing for NBGI? And they're Nintendo's distribution partner in Poland? Not sure that was a good choice. Why not Deep Silver/ Koch Media?

Nilaul

Doesn't CDProjekt represent a shitload of companies in Poland? Aren't they actually in charge of translating BioWare's games into Polish as well as Disney movies?

I'd imagine they'd just handle Nintendo's stuff over there.

No CD project doesnt represent Nintendo, I remember I think before Empic (large store chain) was in charge, they were doing somehow a better Job, even though they were importing products by themself.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

yeah let us know how that goes

Game-Biz

Some friends and I smoked pot with Hermann Stadlbauer once a few years back in Paris. Crazy ass guy almost got us killed several times by the Chinese mafia down there. Muther fucker is hilarious though.

No CD project doesnt represent Nintendo, I remember I think before Empic (large store chain) was in charge, they were doing somehow a better Job, even though they were importing products by themself.

Before the current company Nintendo was represented by L-something, I don't remember the exact name.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sounds a lot like Greece where Nortec handles things, I've tried to get complaints through to Nintendo, especially about the pricing, with no success. They probably don't care since they recently (ish) got renamed to Nintendo Greece. It's crazy how little promotion there has been since before the DS/Wii era (outside a big event or two, likely confined in one city, like Athens or similar), it's probably why it's still Sony Land since the PS days here. Maybe it's not an important enough market but surely every bit helps, they've totally missed out on the last years of the casual mainstream gaming craze. They'd probably still have time to fix it (but won't), I don't think iOS is all the rage here just yet either, due to how expensive the devices can be here. I have barely seen any 3DS ads outside certain big store chains' own commercials here and there. Some big stores like plaisio.gr and e-shop.gr don't even seem to carry 3DS anymore, beyond some leftover products like some games and accessories. Outlook not so good imo.

Datrio

PolandGAF, assemble!

Actually I was out shopping for new games today in a few bigger chains (MediaMarkt, Saturn, the Polish Empik), and whereas there's a lot of PS3 and Xbox games everywhere, the Wii and 3DS are largely unrepresented (Vita also, but that's another case).

Sometimes it's even better to import a game from the UK, than buying it here.

Nilaul

Isn't Stadlbauer some tiny Austrian company also distributing for NBGI? And they're Nintendo's distribution partner in Poland? Not sure that was a good choice. Why not Deep Silver/ Koch Media?

well In Greece, they have nortec, its a small company, but its doing its Job recently. I guess nintendo might like smaller companies as they usually do there Job and a cheaper.

wsippel

Banned
well In Greece, they have nortec, its a small company, but its doing its Job recently. I guess nintendo might like smaller companies as they usually do there Job and a cheaper.
Koch isn't exactly a giant, either. But they actually do work as a distributor for Nintendo, and for several other companies like SQEX throughout Europe. And they're quite active in the East as far as I'm aware.

Nilaul

Sounds a lot like Greece where Nortec handles things, I've tried to get complaints through to Nintendo, especially about the pricing, with no success. They probably don't care since they recently (ish) got renamed to Nintendo Greece. It's crazy how little promotion there has been since before the DS/Wii era, it's probably why it's still Sony Land here. Maybe it's not an important enough market but surely every bit helps, they've totally missed out on the last years of the casual mainstream gaming craze. They'd probably still have time to fix it (but won't), I don't think iOS is all the rage here just yet either, due to how expensive the devices can be here.

Ela re file :p Ti na kanoume

Well In Greece, its the whole systems fault, large retailers set prices between eachother and go unpunished. So a graphic card in Greece is 100 euros more expensive.

Theres a shop next to doukas school whats really cheap though, forgot its name.

Anim

Yup, the situation really is terrible when it comes to Nintendo in Poland. For me the biggest gripe is that there is no Club Nintendo here. I had to make an account in the UK one, but obviously they can't send me anything physical and I can only get Nintendo points.

Unless Nintendo themselves do something significant, I don't think anything will improve. Before Stadlbauer came in, Nintendo products were managed by another external company, Lukas Toys I believe. It's always been like that, really.

Hela

Why can't a large corporation such asNintendo represent itself in Poland? Don't they have offices nearby in Germany?
There's not a huge demand for it to be frank, there just isn't a fanbase for Nintendo products.
Poland never got NES or SNES, just knockoffs. Playstation 1 was so massively popular in Poland, that no one cared about N64, same with the next generation.
Now Playstation and Xbox are doing great in Poland. Both Sony and MS have pretty big offices doing translations etc. and still not a lot of people care about Nintendo, which is sad, but true.

Nilaul

Why can't a large corporation such asNintendo represent itself in Poland? Don't they have offices nearby in Germany?

I think that may had work. They could just handle the job to the guys next door. They are very business oriented and wouldn't mind have 40 more million to work with.

wsippel

Banned
Europe is weird in that regard. It's all very fragmented. Even in Germany, some Nintendo games (big first party titles included) are published by Koch. And then there's Nintendo Iberica and Nintendo UK, both of which seem to do their own thing. And then there's Bergsala, Stadlbauer and whoever is responsible for Switzerland. It's all very weird.

Nilaul

There's not a huge demand for it to be true, there just isn't a base for it.
Poland never got NES or SNES, just knockoffs. Playstation 1 was so massively popular in Poland, that no one cared about N64, same with the next generation.
Now Playstation and Xbox are doing great in Poland. Both Sony and MS have pretty big offices doing translations etc. and still not a lot of people care about Nintendo, which is sad, but true.

I guess a solution would be to open a Nintendo Studio in Poland, it wouldnt be such a bad move. It would get the medias attention, and it would be constantly under watch by gaming press; especially if they would be allowed to get exclusive infromation often. Which may just do the trick.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well In Greece, its the whole systems fault, large retailers set prices between eachother and go unpunished. So a graphic card in Greece is 100 euros more expensive.
I'm not sure if that's true (the second part, the first certainly is more often than not), I just checked Amazon UK for some models I was looking to buy from plaisio and even with direct exchange rate conversion they seem on par (see the MSI 7850 Twin Frozr for example) even though software often seems to be cheaper on Amazon UK (edit ~20 difference, not on par). I didn't even sktroutz it either, since I don't often buy online and don't know which stores to trust (I just wrote a post on adslgr asking just that too). Perhaps other/higher end models are like you say though, that ~20 difference probably grows with more money.

Edit: I was just told AMD/whoever had announced a ~20-40 price cut for that range of cards, they have not yet showed up here, but could in fact do so in the near future, which could account for that ~20 difference I noticed there. That would be great.

Nilaul

Maybe they don't consider Poland a market interesting enough and they don't bother.

Well being smack right in the center of Europe, ideal for storage and with many talented programers comming out every year automatically makes you interesting.

Tenki

Well being smack right in the center of Europe, ideal for storage and with many talented programers comming out every year automatically makes you interesting.

Yes, of course it is. But you know, business people are weird :p

Berksy

Sounds a lot like Greece where Nortec handles things, I've tried to get complaints through to Nintendo, especially about the pricing, with no success. They probably don't care since they recently (ish) got renamed to Nintendo Greece. It's crazy how little promotion there has been since before the DS/Wii era (outside a big event or two, likely confined in one city, like Athens or similar), it's probably why it's still Sony Land since the PS days here. Maybe it's not an important enough market but surely every bit helps, they've totally missed out on the last years of the casual mainstream gaming craze. They'd probably still have time to fix it (but won't), I don't think iOS is all the rage here just yet either, due to how expensive the devices can be here. I have barely seen any 3DS ads outside certain big store chains' own commercials here and there. Some big stores like plaisio.gr and e-shop.gr don't even seem to carry 3DS anymore, beyond some leftover products like some games and accessories. Outlook not so good imo.

Nortec Eurasia went out of business (edit: in Turkey?). They were distributing Nintendo games in Turkey and Bulgaria too iirc.

grumpy

well In Greece, they have nortec, its a small company, but its doing its Job recently.

Nortec or "Nintendo of Greece" does a few things right and often goes that extra mile. Like the insane amount of preorder bonuses they hand out with each major release (cds, posters, keychains, game/system cases, ocarinas :p), or the "Nintendo Ambassadors" program, or the point bonuses (like the star points of other euro club nintendos).
Their prices do suck though :p

Anim

I guess a solution would be to open a Nintendo Studio in Poland, it wouldnt be such a bad move. It would get the medias attention, and it would be constantly under watch by gaming press; especially if they would be allowed to get exclusive infromation often. Which may just do the trick.

Well, there was a studio in Krakow called Nibris. They worked on a game called Sadness, which was exclusive to the Wii. Unfortunately, it never came to be. As far as I'm aware, there is also a City Interactive branch in Bydgoszcz working on DS games. There is also a studio in Krakow called TEYON, which published several games on DSiWare, WiiWare and on the eShop.

So basically it's nothing big, but there are definitely people interested in developing on Nintendo platforms in Poland (I'm one of them :p).

Nilaul

Well, there was a studio in Krakow called Nibris. They worked on a game called Sadness, which was exclusive to the Wii. Unfortunately, it never came to be. As far as I'm aware, there is also a City Interactive branch in Bydgoszcz working on DS games. There is also a studio in Krakow called TEYON, which published several games on DSiWare and on eShop.

So basically it's nothing big, but there are definitely people interested in developing on Nintendo platforms in Poland (I'm one of them :p).

Which one do you work in? :p

When I ment nintendo , I actually ment "Nintendo branded" for marketing purposes. :p

Hela

When I ment nintendo , I actually ment "Nintendo branded" for marketing purposes. :p

They probably don't see any profit in it with the Playstation, Xbox and PC being as popular as they are there.

sakipon

Europe is weird in that regard. It's all very fragmented.
It doesn't need to be. There are regional differences in Europe for MS and Sony too, yet there's really no such troubles as Nintendo seems to have.

Club Nintendo restrictions (where people would happily pay for shipping abroad) and knowingly leaving out maps from Mii Plaza (!) reveal they don't even try to care about certain countries.

Anim

Nowhere yet. But I'm planning to apply somewhere when I graduate from university.

If by Nintendo branded you mean second party, there is no chance in hell for that. The only way would be to impress them the same way Rare did back in the day, which in this time and age would be really hard to pull off. Even Shin'en (which incidentally is a German company) with their technical wonders didn't manage to do that, so yeah.

BKK

Maybe because minimum gross annual wage in Poland is $5.5k (that's 12 x gross minimum wage salary being $450)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_by_country

That's less than Honduras, Greece and Hungary to name a few.

That's not a particularly useful statistic though, when they launched the N64 in UK the minimum gross annual wage in UK was $0. GDP per capita would be a better statistic, but that doesn't address economic inequality, where in a population of 40m there will be many millions who earn far more than average.

Edit:

Tha page you're quoting says 7,732.
And even though it's not much, MS and Sony seem to be doing pretty good.

Right; 500,000 PS3s sold in Poland.

Nilaul

That's not a particularly useful statistic though, when they launched the N64 in UK the minimum gross annual wage in UK was $0. GDP per capita would be a better statistic, but that doesn't address economic inequality, where in a population of 40m there will be many millions who earn far more than average.

Edit:

Right; 500,000 PS3s sold in Poland.

To be fair way more people have a powerful pc.

Ragus

Banned
Yeah, I live in Poland and I gotta say -it's not easy being a Nintendo fan here.

Basically, there is only one shop - ultima.pl, where I can buy new Nintendo games. Older games? Only at our local ebay. The prices are also big.

NSMB2 costs 180 PLN, which translates to 45 euros. Prices are always the same. Wanna buy NSMB1? 40 euros...

And how about older games with limited shipment? I bought a used copy of Chrono Trigger for DS for 38 euros, and I was happy as fuck.

So, yeah, the situation here is terrible and unfortunately, when Nintendo doesn't care about polish gamers, polish gamers also don't give a fuck about Nintendo. It may be strange to you, but when you are at a polish gaming message board, Nintendo is rarely talked about. Only a small group of people buys Nintendo products regularly, and I am one of them.

Oersted

They haven't created any promotion, just one short add; which run a year ago for a week or so. Now Nintendo products can not be found anywhere; as apparently they don't sell in a 40 million country. Of course they don't sell if the company that is supposed be doing there Job is actually not doing there job. On top of all Nintendo Products are really expensive. The minimum you would pay for a 3DS in a well known store would be 200 euro; thats of course if manage to find them (however it could be still ordered online from many smaller online retailers). The availability of games if even worse. Take kid Icarus for example, theres only 1 online store selling it in the whole of Poland. The 3DS xl? That doesn't exist in Poland, not a single add has been popped up, not a single poster in store. People don't know that theres a Resident Evil game on it, they don't know that theres a 2nd Mario game coming out on it. They know nothing. The polish retailer ain't even bothered to send out promotional posters to stores.

Links?

Oersted

Well, there was a studio in Krakow called Nibris. They worked on a game called Sadness, which was exclusive to the Wii. Unfortunately, it never came to be. As far as I'm aware, there is also a City Interactive branch in Bydgoszcz working on DS games. There is also a studio in Krakow called TEYON, which published several games on DSiWare, WiiWare and on the eShop.

http://www.destructoid.com/sadness-is-bullsh-t-nibris-official-site-closes-162443.phtml

Top Bottom