• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY needs to change the controller for the PS4

Mandoric

Banned
6 more buttons!
Don't touch my DS3 it's perfect!
And that's not even the gaming variant!

My frustration escalates.

Two more buttons, mappable to keyboard keys only. The gaming variant adds, effectively, zero (two unmappable dedicated to sensitivity and one unmappable dedicated to... alt-tab for some reason?)

Zaptruder

Banned
Logitech's midrange home mouse, 1997:
bw4823.jpg

Logitech's midrange home mouse, 2012:
21824.png

You do realize that there are 5 additional buttons on that mouse right?

2 thumb, left/right scroll and the scroll free/scroll clicky under the middle mouse.

Afrikan

what if........*gasp* they made the L1 and R1 like triggers...and L2 and R2 were just like the old PS2 Dualshock controllers.

have L2 and R2 placement in alittle further in and lower. And L1 and R1 would have more spacing too look like triggers.

one thing I hate about triggers on both the 360 and PS3..it just seems too low and uncomfortable...but if they were located on L1 and R1, it seems to be more comfortable...

I'm holding my controller in my hands right now.

Melchiah

I'm all for keeping the thumbsticks symmetrical, as that truly is something that is merely a matter of muscle memory that Xbox babies need to get over. But PLEASE for the love of God explain to me why you think the convex sticks and triggers and analog stick deadzones and ergonomics should remain unchanged.

The concave sticks in the 360 pad made my thumbs sore after playing a while, never had that problem with the DualShock. Never had any problems with losing a grip with DS sticks either.

As for triggers, I've already said a couple of times, the L2/R2 need to be changed, but kept at the same place, so L1/R1 can be used simultaneously.

Dunno about deadzones. I didn't notice any major difference there, when I had my friend's 360 on loan. EDIT: Played mostly Mass Effect.

How about they make a new controller for the ps4 for people like me that think it needs some changes, and then make the dual shock 3 work with the ps4 for people who are fine with that. Problem solved.

Strike

Considering what Nintendo is doing with the Wii (and the rumors surrounding the next Xbox) I wouldn't be surprised if they add a screen to it or at least try pushing remote play again. Everything else is fine (aside from the triggers).

Hero

How about they make a new controller for the ps4 for people like me that think it needs some changes, and then make the dual shock 3 work with the ps4 for people who are fine with that. Problem solved.

This would be my ideal solution for PS4 as well. Backwards compatible with PS3 DS3 so people that can't let go of the past can use that for another 6 years. Meanwhile the rest of us who want to hold a good controller suitable for modern games will have one.

MYE

Made a few changes to my previous controller mockup and added a DS3 for reference
(Dont mind the "DUALSHOCK 5" logo on top of my PS4 controller lol)

quKQ9.jpg

Melchiah

The same goes for Microsoft; keep the old controller for the existing userbase, but make a new one for those who are accustomed to DualShock, and its symmetrically placed analogue sticks. Does that solution sound fine to the Xbox folk?

There's something to be fixed on every side of the fence, depending on viewpoint.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
what if........*gasp* they made the L1 and R1 like triggers...and L2 and R2 were just like the old PS2 Dualshock controllers.

have L2 and R2 placement in alittle further in and lower. And L1 and R1 would have more spacing too look like triggers.

one thing I hate about triggers on both the 360 and PS3..it just seems too low and uncomfortable...but if they were located on L1 and R1, it seems to be more comfortable...

I'm holding my controller in my hands right now.
This is exactly what I want. I wish I had a way of mocking it up. I can see it in my head and I think it would be super confortable and have easier access to the other shoulder buttons.

Mandoric

Banned
This is exactly what I want. I wish I had a way of mocking it up. I can see it in my head and I think it would be super confortable and have easier access to the other shoulder buttons.

You could do an amazingly sexy FPS/TPS controller with L1/R1 hacked off the Saturn, given a little rounding, and put on the Dualshock 2.

Afrikan

ok if someone wants to photoshop this....shrink the R2 trigger to the size alittle bit, and put it there where R1 is at. Remove the R2 trigger and section..so that the new R1 trigger has space under it i guess..or not doesn't matter.

then if you want, add something similar to this for R2 and L2 (but not as ugly as this design) to the button of the dualshock 3 controller.
1339985-firestorm_super.jpg

Danny-Boy

The same goes for Microsoft; keep the old controller for the existing userbase, but make a new one for those who are accustomed to DualShock, and its symmetrically placed analogue sticks. Does that solution sound fine to the Xbox folk?

There's something to be fixed on every side of the fence, depending on viewpoint.

I'd be up for this. It'll probably make me buy a 360.

Aguirre

it's no exaggeration that i've used the playstation controller for a decade. i dont seen the need for a replacement, but i am for refinement. tiny tweaks. like for example, the l2/r2 triggers. when i place it down when watching a movie, i inadvertently fast forward or rewind the film.

so now i have gotten into the habit of just turning off the controller.

Tevious

OK, I finished my redesign. This is what I think Sony should do, something like this:

PSDualMove.jpg

A new version of the Move controllers with all DUALSHOCK buttons as the standard controller, DUALSHOCK 4 with a sleeker/smoother look and concave analog sticks and triggers as an optional purchasable controller, and DUALSHOCK 3 being compatible with the PlayStation 4 so people aren't forced to buy the DS4 if they already own a PS3. Also, a higher resolution camera with better tracking capabilities to replace the PS Eye.

Shahed

I'm fine with the PS3 controller in general. Only thing they could do is make the triggers better, and put a larger version of the Vita's D-pad.

But I can understand people wanting a bigger controller. Can't they just make two versions? A larger one and a smaller one.

Angry Fork

Made a few changes to my previous controller mockup and added a DS3 for reference
(Dont mind the "DUALSHOCK 5" logo on top of my PS4 controller lol)

quKQ9.jpg

I prefer analog sticks to be convex rather than concave but otherwise I'd be on board with this, looks nice.

The buttons (face buttons as well as R1/L1) needs to be just as responsive and flat as on Dualshock. One of the things I hate on the 360 controller is the buttons, they have that bubble feel and you have to press them harder/more often for an intended result. For example shooting a pistol in COD, you can shoot it WAY faster using the R1 button on a Dualshock than you can on a 360 controller. The 360's L1/R2 buttons are terrible imo and I don't like the face buttons much either.

Also the analog sticks on 360 controller are nowhere near as sensitive to move as PS3 which I don't like. On PS3 it's much easier to aim or move slowly because the analog sticks don't push back as much. On 360 you need to use more force with your thumb to do what you want.

Basically I'd like the shape and triggers of 360 controller, but keep everything else from PS3 controller. I'm indifferent to analog placement.

then if you want, add something similar to this for R2 and L2 (but not as ugly as this design) to the button of the dualshock 3 controller.
1339985-firestorm_super.jpg

I would like this too, maybe we don't need more buttons but it's cool to have them anyway. I always wondered why they didn't put any on the underside of the controller like Z from N64.

Top Bottom