• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Press Previews

TheChits

I really hope my games from newegg arrive at least close to launch :(. I'm sure nintendoland will keep me entertained for a while, but I'm really itching to play ZombiU

Drago

I really hope my games from newegg arrive at least close to launch :(. I'm sure nintendoland will keep me entertained for a while, but I'm really itching to play ZombiU
ZombiU releases on Tuesday and NewEgg usually ships a day before release so you should be fine

D-e-f-

Banned
So what seem like the best launch games? I got paid more than I though so I can probably pick up another game. I already have NSMBU and the deluxe Wii U paid off.

On the exclusive side, definitely ZombiU. Though you should read up on that game and see if that methodical gameplay is for you (if you're intrigued by something like Dark Souls go for it!) ... maybe Scribblenauts Unlimited if you want another cool co-op game that does crazy things.

On the not-exclusive side it's hard to say. We don't know how all the multiplatform ports turned out so far. Chances are Black Ops 2 is a very good port since Treyarch is very familiar with Nintendo hardware. Epic Mickey 2 may be really good as well. Darksiders 2 if you haven't played that already ...

Hobby

Pouring one out for those GCN controller triggers. Felt so good.

Rich!

That was powered by the Wiimote ...

Doesn't matter, really.

It didn't use any of the Wiimote's functions apart from Bluetooth. No rumble, no IR, no motion.

I played my first playthrough of Xenoblade using a CC Pro last year. I started with fresh batteries.

When I got to Mechonis I had to change them. That was over 50 hours in.

The turning-normally-innocent-games-violent-or-sexy joke is such a tired gag. I have no idea why webcomic writers, video makers, etc., all think it's still material that can be tapped. Humor arises from surprise, and there is no surprise in these anymore.

Very much what I think. That is some poor sense.

AzaK

I expect dead pixels because I always fucking luck out when it come to LCDs. It's the risk everybody is taking buying an LCD device though. Some are going to have dead pixels. Hope it's not you.

I just hope the build quality is much better than the 3DS.

I've had dead pixels on a couple of devices int he past and I take it back to the store. I guess in NZ we have the consumer's guarantees act which is pretty strong in protecting us.

I love the 360's analogue triggers. They're brilliant for any driving game, including sandbox titles, and they're more than sensitive enough to feel great as a general button, like for shooting. I prefer shooting with the 360 pad's analogue triggers than I do using the Wii Remote's digital trigger.

An omission is an omission regardless of how infrequently the feature might be used in gaming as a whole, when it's frequently used in a subset of genres. Digital buttons work, but it's a shame Nintendo didn't bother to keep a standard they helped set.

I guess for the few games it's used in it wasn't worth the money to add them. Probably ads up to a few more million in profit over the console's lifetime.

hey guys! Did we talk about this feature?

Auto-Shutoff

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/09/wii-us-scary-automatic-shutoff-feature

I guess it is best to know it is there and turn that sucker off... I love walking away from my RPGs on pause would hate to have not known about this. Glad you can turn that option off.

If that's default behaviour that's pretty terrible. Most people would just assume if they pause they can come back again at any time.

Nope, just exiled ;_;

Glad to be back in time for launch though.
Great timing.

Is anywhere going to do a midnight launch, or let people line up the night before to get units?

Basically, if I didn't pre-order am I SOL?

Pharros

Anyone find out if there are any in-game accomplishments in any of the launch games? Specifically NSMBU.

I feel like Gaf's Wii U accomplishment ambassador. So far we've heard pretty much nothing about accomplishments from official sources, and nothing really on launch games. In game or system wide.

Rootbeer

Banned
Is anywhere going to do a midnight launch, or let people line up the night before to get units?

I was at my local gamestop today. They told me they had a Nintendo rep in the store the day before and I quizzed them some.

1. almost no gamestop is doing a midnight launch. there will be some, depending on how the management wants to handle it, but for the most part: no
2. the wii kiosk in store is not likely to be updated anytime soon, especially not before Jan 1st and likely not until around spring 2013. Sadly, only playable game is rayman.
3. our store is getting only 13 units. 12 deluxe, 1 regular; 1 of those deluxe is mine, 2 others are going to employees, i originally was told 14 but I guess they were mistaken. A nearby wal-mart only got 8 units, so 13 is considered generous.
4. they don't expect to get more units before Jan 1st
5. Wii U game availability: for every title, they will receive all pre-ordered copies + 1 extra (with maybe a few extra for titles likely to sell a lot such as Mario and ZombiU); if you didn't pre-order a game you'll have to cross your fingers if you want any extra games. Since each store is selling so few Wii U units they can't afford to have a ton of launch games sitting around
6. they did a rundown of the most ordered games. no surprise though: nearly everyone pre-ordered new super mario bros U. ZombiU had I think 3 orders (one being mine). 1 copy of scribblenauts, a few black ops, 1 ACIII.
7. told me nintendo is very stingy on freebies they give to the store and the employees. apparently other game companies go a lot further in trying to get promotion in the store, like with tshirts and other stuff of that nature
8. they try to sell me a copy of pikmin almost every time i step into the store. i'm definitely getting it, but i'm waiting to see if any other stores will offer better incentives
9. neither of the employees knew what Wonderful 101 was. I made sure they knew the basics and told them to look it up on youtube. Game looks to be turning out well and I hope it sells

Jackson

I feel like Gaf's Wii U accomplishment ambassador. So far we've heard pretty much nothing about accomplishments from official sources, and nothing really on launch games. In game or system wide.

There are no Wii U accomplishments that are system wide. They are up to the developers to include or not include. Scribblenauts Unlimited loosely has them in the form of "Global Starite Shards" which is like a giant checklist of global things to spawn and do in the game that aren't area specific.

Pharros

There are no Wii U accomplishments that are system wide. They are up to the developers to include or not include. Scribblenauts Unlimited loosely has them in the form of "Global shards" a giant check list of global things to spawn and do in the game that aren't area specific.

That was my assumption. However, I was thinking of the possibility of in game "accomplishments" that have you the option to share through Miiverse. Essentially that would be very similar to system wide as your friends list could see, there just wouldn't be an overall tally. Of course you would know more than I do, I just think that would be neat. And I won't lie, system wide would've been my preference but what can you do!

Jackson

That was my assumption. However, I was thinking of the possibility of in game "accomplishments" that have you the option to share through Miiverse. Essentially that would be very similar to system wide as your friends list could see, there just wouldn't be an overall tally. Of course you would know more than I do, I just think that would be neat. And I won't lie, system wide would've been my preference but what can you do!

Things could change in the future. The Miiverse is in its infancy. Just think how much the PS3/360 dashboard and store changed to meet people's needs. I'm sure Nintendo will do plenty of updates and new integration of systems as time goes on.

Pharros

Things could change in the future. The Miiverse is in its infancy. Just think how much the PS3/360 dashboard and store changed to meet people's needs. I'm sure Nintendo will do plenty of updates and new integration of systems as time goes on.

Very true! As far as I remember the Playstation 3 only received trophies in an update around summer 2008. Miiverse certainly has potential. And thanks for the info! Looking forward to getting some of those global starite shards myself :)

NateDrake

There are no Wii U accomplishments that are system wide. They are up to the developers to include or not include. Scribblenauts Unlimited loosely has them in the form of "Global Starite Shards" which is like a giant checklist of global things to spawn and do in the game that aren't area specific.

I forgot Scribblenauts Unlimited was a launch title for Wii U until just now. I thought it was coming out in early 2013. Need to look into a review copy next week. Hope I'm not too late.

steveovig

I am just so confused. Fricken Project Cars listed Accomplishments plus Nintendo alluded to them in pics back in June. I don't understand this company.

I am just so confused. Fricken Project Cars listed Accomplishments plus Nintendo alluded to them in pics back in June. I don't understand this company.

Like Jackson said, there is no reason why it can't have it. Project CARS is not launch they have that choice to put it in and they may even have better access to Miiverse by now since they don't have to be out on the 18th. That game could be what 3-5 month away?

NSMBU and Nintendoland should have accomplishments. This was from the original NSMBU site

Families and friends can experience Mario together like never before with Miiverse. See other players' comments and accomplishments while you play, and leave your own feedback for others to see when connected to the Nintendo Network.

And here's Nintendoland

There is the game's wide range of in-game achievements (called 'accomplishments') as well, which appear in a variety of ways, such as criteria-specific stamps, high score trophies in the single player games, or 'Master Rank' stars, which signify that you've mastered a particular attraction's challenge.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/29/the-depth-of-nintendo-land

And UBI said that they weren't allowed to talk about accomplishments in ZombiU when they were asked about them at the EB Expo 2012.

Pharros

NSMBU and Nintendoland should have accomplishments. This was from the original NSMBU site

And here's Nintendoland

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/29/the-depth-of-nintendo-land

And UBI said that they weren't allowed to talk about accomplishments in ZombiU when they were asked about them at the EB Expo 2012.

This was from official PR for Sing! I believe as well:

Accomplishments: For extraordinary song performances there will be Accomplishments (says Auszeichnungen in German), which will be visible to all of your friends in the Miiverse.

zroid

Banned
I feel like the best thing about cheevos is being able to compare what you've got with your friends for specific games, and sometimes try to help each other earn them. Also just the individual challenges they can offer.

The whole e-penis thing of accumulating the most points on your account isn't really for me.

Seems like the former is accounted for by Wii U (at least, when developers choose to), so I'm fully satisfied with Nintendo's approach.

steveovig

I feel like the best thing about cheevos is being able to compare what you've got with your friends for specific games, and sometimes try to help each other earn them. Also just the individual challenges they can offer.

The whole e-penis thing of accumulating the most points on your account isn't really for me.

Seems like the former is accounted for by Wii U (at least, when developers choose to), so I'm fully satisfied with Nintendo's approach.

I don't care about counting up the damn things or going by levels or anything. I just like the added goals of them and I find it interesting to see other people's progress.

I see all these PR things but haven't people already gotten their hands on games like Sing It and NSMBU and confirmed they aren't in there or is that just speculation?

zroid

Banned
I think the problem is Miiverse doesn't exist yet in the wild, so while these games have individual "accomplishments", comparing them remains uncertain to the press

KU_

I'm in the same boat. Didn't get a preorder in, but now I'm wanting a Wii U day one. Don't know what my best bet would be.

steveovig

I think the problem is Miiverse doesn't exist yet in the wild, so while these games have individual "accomplishments", comparing them remains uncertain to the press

But it doesn't even appear that the games have individual accomplishments, at least not the launch stuff except for Scribblenauts, unless that's just speculation.

zroid

Banned
Well that IGN article linked above mentions Nintendo Land having them, and we caught a glimpse of NSMBU's way back in June. I guess it's not quite 100% confirmation, but it's looking good.

TriGen

Yeah. Until the press receives that day 1 update there will be a lot we won't know. And we don't have any clue when Nintendo will roll out this update to the press. The day 1 update could possibly not go out until a couple days before launch.

mikeysteena

Neo Member
Maybe slightly off topic

Just seen the Wii U advert in the UK (ZombiU) I've already paid for mines but its ridiculous how similar the marketing is to that of Wii. They even play the same the chime at the start of the commercial. They havn't made it clear enough that it is a new console, still looks like a peripheral tbh. You'd think they would of learned their lesson from the 3DS?

madmackem

Agree with this, ive played over 400 games on 360 with a e penis score of 94k it means nothing at all, but i do compare with friends to see who has beaten games on hard etc so if things like that are in im happy.

madmackem

Maybe slightly off topic

Just seen the Wii U advert in the UK (ZombiU) I've already paid for mines but its ridiculous how similar the marketing is to that of Wii. They even play the same the chime at the start of the commercial. They havn't made it clear enough that it is a new console, still looks like a peripheral tbh. You'd think they would of learned their lesson from the 3DS?

The very first ad they say the new wii u console a number of times.

Boogybro

Maybe slightly off topic

When will they learn?

mikeysteena

Neo Member
The very first ad they say the new wii u console a number of times.

But they never really show it. The objective of the advert is to advertise a brand new console. They focused on the Gamepad for 90% of the duration. This Is the first HD Nintendo console and the first step into the new generation of gaming. The many cool features of Wii U have been discussed here in depth, yet they decided to show none of this, instead concentrating on a puzzle involving the Gamepad.
It doesn't make sense. Imagine if the N64 adverts only showed the controller and the fact that it now has an analog stick!

Top Bottom