• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii U final specs

Donnie

There are extra characters usually on the chips themselves that indicate the speed grade. PCPer didn't read all that was on the chip.

I'd be absolutely amazed if they've produced a console with 12.8GB/s of main memory bandwidth that can just run launch ports meant for systems with twice that amount of bandwidth. That seems far fetched, so I've got to be skeptical there. He'll have his article out soon enough though I suppose.

Why wouldn't third party games built for the system not look better? Ignoring lazy devs (which EVERY console has) do you really expect most third parties to use only 20% of the system every time for the next 5 years? Just think about how long that is...

Yes, I do. Most devs are going to cheap out and use PS360 near direct ports... maybe toss in a couple bells and whistles (mostly offscreen TV play as this is simple to do and takes "advantage" of the Wii U hardware).

PS360 will continue to get games till likely late '14 to mid '15. Maybe even longer... Wii U will continue to get those types of ports till then. After that devs will RELUCTANTLY give their PS4-720 projects to sub-par companies to port down to the Wii U where the games will look better, but still not nearly on par with games build ground up for it.

Ubisoft will make games for Wii U from the ground up, at least for awhile... but EA has made it clear they have no interest than doing more than quick buck ports. Activision will stay on board as long as Wii U makes them a profit.

Donnie

So is every dev who worked on a Wii U launch game lazy?

Another to add to the list: Trine 2 seems to be missing some effects found on the 360 and PS3 versions.

Once again, back up this nonsense. You ignore me every time. Apparently every game is inferior, show me. I don't want fanboy hearsay, I want to see it.

Another to add to the list: Trine 2 seems to be missing some effects found on the 360 and PS3 versions.

Ha ha, bullshit, they were comparing it to the PC version from what I seen. And they didn't really specify anything. Frozenbyte already confirmed they would have to strip it to get it working on PS360.

Donnie

Ha ha, bullshit, they were comparing it to the PC version from what I seen. And they didn't really specify anything. Frozenbyte already confirmed they would have to strip it to get it working on PS360.

Oh it'll be missing some effects alright, the effects they removed to replace with superior ones, anything different to 360 is inferior by default don't you know.

Van Owen

Banned
Once again, back up this nonsense. You ignore me every time. Apparently every game is inferior, show me. I don't want fanboy hearsay, I want to see it.

Sorry I'm not capturing the stream real time and simultaneously uploading videos solely for you. I'm sure it will be archived and you can go back and watch later.

AlStrong

Confirmed in other thread. Wii U Realtime Vs. compressed Xbox 360 Bink Video

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info. Care to share a link?

Not confirmed... I said nothing about what the WiiU footage could be because I don't have access to see for myself.

edit:

What's odd is that they would re-render the footage (presumably for WiiU costumes) and use lower settings. It would also be odd for them to render real-time given the main impetus for using pre-rendered in the game was so that you'd not have rendering bugs/streaming issues for key story scenes (and/or to hide load times of the next section).

gtj1092

Why wouldn't third party games built for the system not look better? Ignoring lazy devs (which EVERY console has) do you really expect most third parties to use only 20% of the system every time for the next 5 years? Just think about how long that is...

Are you implying that the wii u is 5x stronger than what the games are showing now?

Also Donnie just hit the ignore button.

Shion

Wii is 6 years old.

What number of Wii games managed to look better (or even reach) the level of graphical fidelity seen in 6th gen games such as Rebel Strike, Wind Waker, God of War, Conker, Ninja Gaiden, Gran Turismo 4 or F-Zero GX?

Donnie

Sorry I'm not capturing the stream real time and simultaneously uploading videos solely for you. I'm sure it will be archived and you can go back and watch later.

I'm not asking for a stream of Giantbomb or whatever, its not even a comparison so its pretty much worthless. You've said a few times now that every game looks inferior on WiiU yes? You must have direct comparison pics or videos then. Could you show them to me.

JordanN

Banned
Are you implying that the wii u is 5x stronger than what the games are showing now?
It's just a bullshit multiplier used to get a point across that targeting PS3/360 graphics heavily under utilizes Wii U considering the 2x amount of memory, more advance GPU/CPU,edram,DSP etc that's readily available for exploiting.

Even if devs choose to focus on the GPU, that's still a considerable improvement over PS3/360 graphics.

Donnie

Wii is 6 years old.

What number of Wii games managed to look better (or even reach) the level of graphical fidelity seen in 6th gen games such as Rebel Strike, Wind Waker, God of War, Conker, Ninja Gaiden, Gran Turismo 4 or F-Zero GX?

Wii was purely a 50% overclocked GC (identical CPU and GPU) with extra RAM, there was absolutely no learning curve there at all. WiiU is a custom system that devs haven't used before. They shouldn't even be compared when it comes to learning curve.

Wii is 6 years old.

A handful. Metroid Other M, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Dead Space Extraction, Monster Hunter 3, and Epic Mickey for starters look better than any GC era game I've ever seen

JordanN

Banned
Wii is 6 years old.

There were lots. Red Steel 2, Jett Rocket, Resident Evil Umbrella chronicles, Monster Hunter etc.

Oh, and some of those games you mentioned are from PS2 which was already behind the Wii's lowest baseline (Gamecube).

A handful. Metroid Other M, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Dead Space Extraction, Monster Hunter 3, and Epic Mickey for starters look better than any GC era game I've ever seen

Unfortunately, I think that was his point. Only a handful with most of the effort coming from Nintendo.

Van Owen

Banned
That stream has direct comparisons of every WiiU game vs the 360 and PS3 versions does it?

No, but I don't have the memory of a goldfish so I don't need to see them side by side, especially when the differences are quite glaring. And a lot of other people watching were able to notice too. Imagine that.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
No, but I don't have the memory of a goldfish so I don't need to see them side by side, especially when the differences are quite glaring. And a lot of other people watching were able to notice too. Imagine that.

Oh, you would be surprised.

Donnie

Do you expect anyone to take those kind of opinions seriously after the WiiU E3 show reel debacle? To be frank if you had direct HD comparison shots for every game on your screen right now I'd still want to see them before I believed you. The idea that I'd trust your judgement based on watching a stream and remembering the other versions is laughable man.

Van Owen

Banned
Do you expect anyone to take those kind of opinions seriously after the WiiU E3 show reel debacle? To be frank if you had direct HD comparison shots for every game on your screen right now I'd still want to see them before I believed you. The idea that I'd trust your judgement based on watching a stream and remembering the other versions is laughable man.

Ok, ignore me and everyone else watching who are saying THE EXACT SAME THING.

WE'RE ALL OUT TO GET YOU, MAAAANNNNNN.

NBtoaster

These are dynamic shadow maps, not pre-baked shadows, so no, they don't work like this. What you see on these screens is lower resolution of the shadow map, period.

Call of Duty blends dynamic and baked shadows together. At a distance they are purely baked.

Unai

After the E32011 fiasco, when people where claiming that Darksiders II and Batman where worse than the ps360 versions, I'll only believe those things after side by side comparisons.

After the E32011 fiasco, when people where claiming that Darksiders II and Batman where worse than the ps360 versions, I'll only believe those things after side by side comparisons.

Those were funny funny days. I feel the same... too many people are of the mindset they can spot minute differences in graphical quality going off memory but really can't. Side by side pics/videos are simply a must.

wsippel

Banned
Where are the xrays and micrographs? =[
Should take a few days, but thanks to Anand, we at least have high res photos and accurate measurements now. Turns out the initial guesses were pretty close as far as die size is concerned - and there are indeed three dies on the MCM:

ma5Tb.jpg
CPU: 32.76mm^2
GPU: 156.21mm^2
Mystery die: 2.65mm^2

Anand thinks the mystery die might be memory. Also, the large chip on the flipside of the PCB is in fact a second flash chip.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6465/nintendo-wii-u-teardown

Should take a few days, but thanks to Anand, we at least have high res photos and accurate measurements now. Turns out the initial guesses were pretty close as far as die size is concerned - and there are indeed three dies on the MCM:

CPU: 32.76mm^2
GPU: 156.21mm^2
Mystery die: 2.65mm^2

Anand thinks the mystery die might be memory. Also, the large chip on the flipside of the PCB is in fact a second flash chip.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6465/nintendo-wii-u-teardown

...Hmm. The CPU is alot bigger than I thought it would be...How big was Xenos at launch?

Pachinko

I'm still thinking many people are jumping the gun on this , neogaf has pretty much become intolerably awful lately - full disclosure I have a wii U on the way and I don't really give 2 craps how powerful the thing is , it's a nintendo console that outputs in HD and thus it's the only place I'll be playing nintendo games in HD. That is the only reason I bought it.

For the last 2 years there's been thread after thread concerned more with the systems power levels then the games themselves and this past week we've had a new thread every time the system farts a different letter in the alphabet. Now it's out so we've got, by my count, about 6 threads (some of them resurrected old ones) that are ranting about how "underpowered and terrible" the system is.

Really people ? It's been out barely 24 hours and well, I'm sure many of us realized that most if not all of the port jobs would only be aiming for , at best, parity with the 360/ps3 versions. In many cases we're talking games that spent 2 years getting hammered out for PS3/360 , the last 6 months of which , if the developer was lucky- they had to cram it onto a completely different architecture. It's not as though these guys can just take the game and slap it on a wii U and bam it runs - it needs a bit of finessing and some custom coding just like putting a 360 game on a ps3 does. For many developers I'm sure the goal was simply to get it running "good enough". Now I've heard all the horror stories about arkham city armoured and mass effect apparently just not quite up to snuff with the other 2 systems and again, I think it's because they DID slap the code on there and had a few weeks to get it working "good enough" and instead of cleaning that up to the point of perfect parity they had to shoehorn in controller streaming technology and gimmicky nonsense to use that gamepad for otherwise.

Optimization is usually the last thing to be done for any game and it's part of the polishing phase that games never seem to quite get enough of. For 6/7 years now developers have been tweaking their engines, middleware, communication with hardware manufacturers to perfection. Outside of exclusive content the wii U versions of all these games have only had a few months. The consequence of trying to have a ton of games ready day 1 - half of them will be kicked to the curb.

If we still see multiplatform games running worse on the wii U , say 6 months from now, when the next big wave of new titles hits then perhaps I'll be a bit more concerned for the systems long term viability beyond the nintendo fans but for now I hardly think it's worth pulling a chicken little.

Unoptimized, quick, cheap, third party ports don't look / run quite as well as the systems they were built for, shock horror !!!.

Seriously if you are the sort of gamer that posts on Neogaf then chances are you already own a PS3, 360, gaming PC, or all three, buy the third party games for those, they are also in most cases cheaper.

Kind of funny Van Owen hasn't been banned yet, not seen someone troll this hard and survive for months...

So back to hardware, would i be right in saying the WiiU defo has 2GB's of Ram but it runs slightly slower than the Ram found inside PS360 ?.

Keep the faith guys and don't let this wave of launch day negativity put you off the system, we know it's based on a GPGPU set up (totally different to PS360's architecture, the reason some of the ports don't run aswell), the GPU has a 2011 feature set, it has a seperate Audio chip, 32MB's of eDRAM and it has 1488MB's of Ram more than PS360, it will be fine esp when there are more patches to speed up the UI / OS.

Also lots of exclusive, big name first party games built from the ground up on the system to look forward too next year after exclusives like Pikmin 3, Lego City, Wario Ware, Rayman Legends, MH Ultimate, Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 !.

People quickly forget the fun times of the 360 / PS3 launches, those systems have had 6 years of patches to run like they do now and in PS3's case it's still slow, clunky and prone to crashing ;).

Ideaman, let us know in this thread if you find out any more about the CPU / GPU, cheers.

MDX

I'm still thinking many people are jumping the gun on this , neogaf has pretty much become intolerably awful lately - full disclosure I have a wii U on the way and I don't really give 2 craps how powerful the thing is , it's a nintendo console that outputs in HD and thus it's the only place I'll be playing nintendo games in HD. That is the only reason I bought it.

Games cant be truly enjoyed without powerful hardware.
I wonder if books and movies have this same problem.
Fanboys arguing over hardcovers vs soft, movie theaters vs TVs

Top Bottom