• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: EA made Titanfall deal, only for one game, will work on PS4 later

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
yg2URaI.png

This, wow. That's some straight up fucking honesty there. I really appreciate it personally. Now the record is straight. If you want TF get a One.
Definitely. A little honesty goes a long way with me.

Didn't EA also just post a blog under the C&C dev name (the studio they just shutdown) that many of the devs weren't even aware of?

Road

Good on Microsoft. When the situation called for it, they opened up their wallet.

It is what Sony should have done for MH on the Vita and Nintendo for the... well... something more than Bayonetta on Wii U...

PS.: I couldn't care less about Titanfall as game, so the exclusion deal is meaningless to me as gamer.

I honestly wonder if there was anybody fiddling with a PS4 over there who's feeling really disappointed. Not like any kind of full scale development, but just checking how certain things work and getting excited with their progress and how good an eventual version would be.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Im actually quite surprised by this. God forbid MS would use the vast resources they wasted on this deal to fund a new IP or something

"Just not the first Titanfall." Well, there's clarity for the "game or franchise" issue at least. (Even though it was already pretty clear they meant just the game.)

It really is too bad that the Respawn guys are getting jerked around like that. Zampella and the rest are probably pretty fucking tired of publishers by now.

This, wow. That's some straight up fucking honesty there. I really appreciate it personally. Now the record is straight. If you want TF get a One.

Pshhh. Or a PC. I mean, I probably won't (at least not at launch, I'm burnt out on multiplayer-only games), but that option is still there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is interesting, because doesn't EA partners allow the IP holder/dev freedom basically?

So wait how does EA partners work then if the person isn't in control of there IP? I thought EA just publishes it

Yes, they publish it. They are the ones that get to take it to market. They get to decide which platforms it's sold on, when it's sold, and for how much.

Obviously there's a lot of discussion with the development studio for most of these type of deals, but EA decided that wasn't necessary, apparently.

USC-fan

Banned
Hope this game lives up to the hype.

Not sure how well a no single player FPS will do on a console. BF4 really got hammer on the review for its poor single player and this game has none.

Hope with titanfall 2 they can have enough time to put in the single player part of the game.

VanWinkle

Man, crazy. I appreciate his honesty. He seems bummed about it. Which would make sense. I'm sure he'd like their game to be on as many platforms as possible.

Samyy

"Just not the first Titanfall." Well, there's clarity for the "game or franchise" issue at least. (Even though it was already pretty clear they meant just the game.)

It really is too bad that the Respawn guys are getting jerked around like that. Zampella and the rest are probably pretty fucking tired of publishers by now.

You know which company apparently works real well with developers....

mishakoz

So, question...

Because its a EA partners game, Respawn still owns the IP, right? After the deal for the first game is over, they can do whatever the fuck they want down the line?

Skeff

I honestly wonder if there was anybody fiddling with a PS4 over there who's feeling really disappointed. Not like any kind of full scale development, but just checking how certain things work and getting excited with their progress and how good an eventual version would be.

According to famousmortimer who has been pretty spot on all year, yes they had people working on a ps4 build very recently.

Skyzard

Banned
You mention a sequel on a different platform before the launch of the new console for which your title is an exclusive?

?? Too honest bro.

People aren't dying to play it on the whole as there are a lot of games about (and XO popularity atm) I think the vast majority can wait...especially now :/

-I know it's popular, I'm just saying popular things will need all the help they can get still next-gen, why shoot yourself in the foot. Devs should not have twitter lol or need a 24hour cooldown after requesting to make a post :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Has Respawn or EA actually said that Titanfall will be an annual series, or is that just something people are assuming?

It's been said (I can't speak for reliability) that the PS4 version was already in the works, at least on a minor scale.

EDIT: Apparently Famous backed that one up too.

Eusis

what, like:
Nah, more like Ninja Gaiden 2 then Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma (if that was actually an exclusivity deal.) Demon's Souls/Dark Souls is NOTHING like that, that's just the more mundane "Titanfall 2 hits PS4" angle.

Plus Demon's Souls was partially developed by Japan Studios, I don't think it's even possible to take that from Sony, no more than Punch Out Wii or Luigi's Mansion 2 from Nintendo.

Ok..I got to ask.

When MS was throwing money at Respawn BEFORE E3, why exactly did people not consider this as MS supporting the developer?

ascii42

I wonder how much time was now wasted working on a PS4 version. I guess that work and knowledge can be put toward Titanfall 2, at least.

Top Bottom