• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 Light Bars - turn them off, please

Steel

Banned
I dont feel any hostilty... I just cant stand it when people think they cant turn off their controllers..

I bet Sony gets complaints on their hotline all the time and the response would be this:

"Sir/Ma'am, go to power save and select the amount of time you want it to turn off on urs own"

Every. Single. Time.

You cant change what is ALREADY PART OF THE HARDWARE.

Goddamn. This is the new Lightgate. And like the last Lightgate, it will go away because people will realize that they made a big deal out of NOTHING.

If anyone is making a big deal about this it's you, buddy.

Dead Man

Thanks for confirming you don't understand. But thanks for the laughs. I just hope that I get to see you stream on the PS4 so I can laugh at you without saying anything :)

LOL. I don't understand all right, but it isn't because you are clever, it is because your posts are nonsense. Explain again how my first post in this thread proved I own a DS4? Show me again how you telling people they are on the same level as streaming drugs and tits if they disagree with you makes any sense whatsoever?

You seem to have lost track of who you are talking to about what. If you click the little arrow next to the name in a quoted post you can link back to the original post to help you keep track of conversations a bit better.

Oh, you think FIVE pages (at least on my side) consist of me bitching? You must have a nice twisted view of reality right there, friend.

Mate, you have 183 posts over 6 months, but 26 in this thread alone, more than anyone else.

Does anyone on here have access to SCE Devnet? I would love to see DS4 controller integration documentation around the LED control. Like I said before if game devs can make the controller flash (turning the LED off/on) and change color then turning it off is most likely an option.
https://twitter.com/nanakifirelight/status/354517475397873664
vrPiEJX.png

Unless there has been a change since then I understood that devs could turn off the light bar if they wanted.

KiraXD

i dont have the camera yet... but DAMN i actually LOVE the light.

In warframe, when you get hit... the controller burst blue light... it lights up the room... its a REALLY cool effect when playing at night. and when youre downed.. it starts strobing red...

i really like the light bar on the controller... my TV is high enough and not made of glass so it reflects nothing... its pretty great imo.

LOL. I don't understand all right, but it isn't because you are clever, it is because your posts are nonsense. Explain again how my first post in this thread proved I own a DS4? Show me again how you telling people they are on the same level as streaming drugs and tits if they disagree with you makes any sense whatsoever?

You seem to have lost track of who you are talking to about what. If you click the little arrow next to the name in a quoted post you can link back to the original post to help you keep track of conversations a bit better.

Not really... if you're posting in here, you clearly have a DS4 or at least a PS4 on hand.

It's hilarious that I make a sarcastic comparison to the idiots that plague Twitch/Ustream PS4 apps, then all of sudden one of you guys JUST HAD to defend yourselves and claim it makes no sense as if you were trying to make yourselves believe that you all are at least NOT GUILTY of doing something bad in this thread. It's amusing, really.

Mate, you have 183 posts over 6 months, but 26 in this thread alone, more than anyone else.

I disagree, because what I see is OTHER people complaining about that they can't turn off their DS4 and a tiny reflection on their $1000 TVs. I would think my posts barely counts towards that.

Dead Man

Not really... if you're posting in here, you clearly have a DS4 or at least a PS4 on hand.

It's hilarious that I make a sarcastic comparison to the idiots that plague Twitch/Ustream PS4 apps, then all of sudden one of you guys JUST HAD to defend yourselves and claim it makes no sense as if you were trying to make yourselves believe that you all are at least NOT GUILTY of doing something bad in this thread. It's amusing, really.

Oh dear. You are divorced from reality I see. Better luck in your next life.

PBY

Banned

I don't know whats happening anymore.

Sony should give the option to turn the light off. That solves everything. Game over?

Steel

Banned

Oh? Enlighten us then. Who "did something bad" in this thread?

I disagree, because what I see is OTHER people complaining about that they can't turn off their DS4 and a tiny reflection on their $1000 TVs. I would think my posts barely counts towards that.

And, you are confused sir. Why would I want to turn off the controller altogether when I'm gaming?

Is that the rule now?

I think you're just digging yourself deeper with these comments.

https://twitter.com/nanakifirelight/status/354517475397873664
vrPiEJX.png

Unless there has been a change since then I understood that devs could turn off the light bar if they wanted.

So basically you're admitting that IT CANNOT be turned off in the main OS and during a game if the Devs choose to give you the middle finger right?

So, wait, five pages of bullshit was for nothing since Yosp made it official?

Bravo.. way to make yourselves look bad.

Steel

Banned
So basically you're admitting that IT CANNOT be turned off in the main OS and during a game if the Devs choose to give you the middle finger right?

So, wait, five pages of bullshit was for nothing since Yosp made it official?

Bravo.. way to make yourselves look bad.

My god you're slow. I don't even....

Oh? Enlighten us then. Who "did something bad" in this thread?

And, you are confused sir. Why would I want to turn off the controller altogether when I'm gaming?

Guess you're not smart enough if you can't figure the answers out on your own...

Western Civilization is truly fucked.

xn0

Thank you for this, that is exactly what I thought. I think it will be a short time before this is a configureable option. Until then I just discovered that PIN 14 is the power to the LED for anyone who cares to disable the LED without tape/paint/etc, I'm doing it now.

FNwF8yU.jpg

Steel

Banned
Thank you for this, that is exactly what I thought. I think it will be a short time before this is a configureable option. Until then I just discovered that PIN 14 is the power to the LED for anyone who cares to disable the LED without tape/paint/etc, I'm doing it now.

FNwF8yU.jpg

Interesting, but I'll stick to the electrical tape. Thanks for the info and looking forward to seeing what your test yields. I doubt the LEDs are significant for battery life, but I could be wrong.

Interesting, but I'll stick to the electrical tape. Thanks for the info and looking forward to seeing what your test yields. I doubt the LED's are significant for battery life, but I could be wrong.

I'd like to see how much the light actually drains the battery.

It's just a matter of time until someone finds that out I would imagine.

Boss Man

The light doesn't bother me, but the battery life sure does. Maybe I was just spoiled by the DS3, but the DS4 loses charge way too fast for my liking. I have to charge it after every single time that I play, it's lame. I would think that turning that unnecessary light off would help.

edit: Oh, cool. Thanks for that xn0 curious to see how it turns out.

xn0

Interesting, but I'll stick to the electrical tape. Thanks for the info and looking forward to seeing what your test yields. I doubt the LEDs are significant for battery life, but I could be wrong.

So far there is no data on the test. I am just using the battery indicator light on the OS, both are still at full bars and they have been going for about 3.5 hours. I now doubt the light has a significant impact but tomorrow morning I'll check it again and use a voltmeter on both batteries and post back on this thread.

Apath

I dont feel any hostilty... I just cant stand it when people think they cant turn off their controllers..

I bet Sony gets complaints on their hotline all the time and the response would be this:

"Sir/Ma'am, go to power save and select the amount of time you want it to turn off on its own"

Every. Single. Time.

You cant change what is ALREADY PART OF THE HARDWARE.

Goddamn. This is the new Lightgate. And like the last Lightgate, it will go away because people will realize that they made a big deal out of NOTHING.
Um, that's not what I was saying at all. I am not sure if English is your second language or what not, but I pretty clearly articulated that my issue was not that I was unable to turn off my controller, but rather turning it off paused Netflix. The power saving feature works decent enough, but still doesn't explain why it's necessary when the PS3 worked perfectly fine. I'd like the ability to turn off my PS4 controller at will--ie. whenever I feel like it--without it pausing the video.

I'm not sure why you are so offended by this issue or what, but it's a little ridiculous on your end.
How am I slow if I hold a Bachelors degree?
Ugh I've been trolled.

I look forward to seeing the effect disabling the light bar has on battery life.

Um, that's not what I was saying at all. I am not sure if English is your second language or what not, but I pretty clearly articulated that my issue was not that I was unable to turn off my controller, but rather turning it off paused Netflix. The power saving feature works decent enough, but still doesn't explain why it's necessary when the PS3 worked perfectly fine. I'd like the ability to turn off my PS4 controller at will--ie. whenever I feel like it--without it pausing the video.

I'm not sure why you are so offended by this issue or what, but it's a little ridiculous on your end.

*facepalm* you're so dense.. I can't begin where I can explain to you in the simplest form possible.. So I'll leave you with your Fisher-Price toys.

Steel

Banned
So far there is no data on the test. I am just using the battery indicator light on the OS, both are still at full bars and they have been going for about 3.5 hours. I now doubt the light has a significant impact but tomorrow morning I'll check it again and use a voltmeter on both batteries.

The controllers probably last a lot longer when they're not being used for anything significant, so it may take awhile to tell. But yeah, definitely been leaning toward the thought the LEDs aren't significant battery-wise.

"Mark, let's talk about the light bar situation. No one can see it."

"Yesss....I've had part of my brain fixated on this vexing issue. I think I've come up with a solution."

"Ohh?? Cerny, tell me now!"

"Well, do you remember the device some entrepreneurs sold when Pope John Paul came to America in the 80s? Maybe not. I believe it was called a... Pope Scope. Using a complex system of mirrors, people could use this device to see the pope over the crowd, like a periscope on a submarine."

"I see...so...if there was some mirror attachment to the DS4, people could... see the light while they play?"

"You've got it, Shu! Just so."

"You clever, clever man! Quick, to the tub!"

xn0

The controllers probably last a lot longer when they're not being used for anything significant, so it may take awhile to tell. But yeah, definitely been leaning toward the thought the LEDs aren't significant battery-wise.

So I'm not a patient man.... I just took a multimeter to both batteries...

Data:

DS4 w/ LED enabled: 3.66V
DS4 w/ LED disabled: 3.88V

Verdict so far... Well this means nothing unfortunately since I did not measure each battery fully charged with the multimeter. However based on this data I don't see any way the DS4 with the LED disabled is going to drain more battery than the DS4 with the LED enabled. Continuing this test might be pointless I'm afraid, as the outcome is going to be exactly as I expected, the DS4 w/ LED is draining batteries quicker.

That said the LED's likely have little impact on the battery when compared to the 2 rumble motors and the capacitive touchpad.

Steel

Banned

Data:

Verdict so far... Well this means nothing unfortunately since I did not measure each battery fully charged with the multimeter. However based on this data I don't see any way the DS4 with the LED disabled is going to drain more battery than the DS4 with the LED enabled. Continuing this test might be pointless I'm afraid, as the outcome is going to be exactly as I expected, the DS4 w/ LED is draining batteries quicker.

That said the LED's likely have little impact on the battery when compared to the 2 rumble motors and the capacitive touchpad.

That's actually a bigger difference than I would have thought. But yeah you're going to have to fill the batteries up first, though considering they're not old I doubt there will be much of a difference between them.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I love the light

xn0

I love the light
I can see liking the light too in certain circumstances, but I would love to be able to have the option to turn it off (just like the rumble). When I'm playing Call of Duty Ghosts multiplayer alone with the lights turned down it serves no purpose and only distracts me with its reflection in my TV.

FNwF8yU.jpg

I can open up a 360 controller and put it back together without breaking it, but that's it. Don't give me a smoldering iron or i will probably brick my console in the process... how much more difficult is it for a person as inept as me to disconnecct pin14 in a DS4?

xn0

That's actually a bigger difference than I would have thought. But yeah you're going to have to fill the batteries up first, though considering they're not old I doubt there will be much of a difference between them.

UPDATE: As of 1:40am the DS4 with the LED on hit 2/3 bars, the DS4 with the LED disabled is still at 3/3 bars. That is approximately 4.5 hours to discharge 1 bar on DS4 with just the LED.

jamiept

Banned
i dont have the camera yet... but DAMN i actually LOVE the light.

In warframe, when you get hit... the controller burst blue light... it lights up the room... its a REALLY cool effect when playing at night. and when youre downed.. it starts strobing red...

i really like the light bar on the controller... my TV is high enough and not made of glass so it reflects nothing... its pretty great imo.

That genuinely sounds interesting, like a semi-illumiroom type effect. Although I didn't realize the lightbar would be bright enough to light up a room.

I s'pose you play in the dark?

KiraXD

That genuinely sounds interesting, like a semi-illumiroom type effect. Although I didn't realize the lightbar would be bright enough to light up a room.

I s'pose you play in the dark?
yeah.. it really surprised me the first time i played... my wife thought that it was lightning outside until she saw it was the controller lighting up. I really like it personally.

xn0

Xn0, wouldn't a truer test be one that uses the controller during gameplay which constantly changes the intensity and color of the lightbar?

I believe truer would be relative, given that any deviation in button pushes, trackpad, or analog movement would alter power utilization and slightly affect the test. Whereas when both controllers are essentially idle with no button presses we are only testing the LED being on vs being off. If the LED were brighter for periods we would just see a larger deviation between the DS4 controllers with the LED enabled as they would be drawing more power with a brighter LED and the LED off would stay at the same power consumption. The biggest power draw on the DS4 is easily going to be the rumble motors, but the LED's appear to be drawing measurable power themselves given that at this rate the LED enabled controller will be dead in 12 to 14 hours based off of my findings and the DS4 with the LED disabled went down to 3.81V after ~1.5 hours from my last multimeter test. When the controller dies I will measure the battery voltage and will be able to accurately measure idle controller battery life with and without the LED on.

I can open up a 360 controller and put it back together without breaking it, but that's it. Don't give me a smoldering iron or i will probably brick my console in the process... how much more difficult is it for a person as inept as me to disconnecct pin14 in a DS4?

I'm not going to tell you it isn't difficult. I'm going to end up putting electrical tape over the LED array inside the controller and call it good without having to splice ribbon cable etc.

Been worried about this since the Feb reveal.

I find the light on the 360 controller annoying already, let alone a giant LED reflecting on my TV.

Really? I found the light on the 360 pad to be cool, actually.
The PS3 LEDs, instead...
I had to put tape on them because they would reflect on my Bravia.

Data:

Exactly. It's just a LED. Which means it's NOTHING to worry about.

I would worry more about the analog sticks wearing out or touchpad not working or even the rumble crapping out on you than a LED light.

R-User!

Breath... Breath... Resist the urge to directly reply...

Thanks for running the test XnO. I might pull the cable if the light ends up being too distracting, but even if I can tolerate the light, but the battery gains are an increase of ~10-20%, then I may end up pulling the cable anyway.

xn0

Breath... Breath... Resist the urge to directly reply...

Thanks for running the test XnO. I might pull the cable if the light ends up being too distracting, but even if I can tolerate the light, but the battery gains are an increase of ~10-20%, then I may end up pulling the cable anyway.

UPDATE:

So I just tested again and the DS4 with the LED on is at 1 bar, however the DS4 with the LED off is still at 3 full bars. The reading is 3.67V on the DS4 without the LED controller which is more than the DS4 was with the LED on was last night after a few hours. The battery draw isn't huge for the LED's but its still there and noticeable. I think I can safely assume that the DS4 with LED on isn't going to last 24 hours of being on and idle whereas the DS4 with LED off will probably be scratching at 2 bars.

Ricky_R

UPDATE:

So I just tested again and the DS4 with the LED on is at 1 bar, however the DS4 with the LED off is still at 3 full bars. The reading is 3.67V on the DS4 without the LED controller which is more than the DS4 was with the LED on was last night after a few hours. The battery draw isn't huge for the LED's but its still there and noticeable. I think I can safely assume that the DS4 with LED on isn't going to last 24 hours of being on and idle whereas the DS4 with LED off will probably be scratching at 2 bars.

Interesting.

I don't mind the light at all, but if I can get quite more battery life without it then an option to turn it off would be ideal.

Steel

Banned
UPDATE:

Very, very interesting. Seems like this info deserves its own thread, do you mind if I make one quoting you?

xn0

Very, very interesting. Seems like this info deserves its own thread, do you mind if I make one quoting you?

Not at all I'm glad I could help out, in this unscientific test. If this thing takes off I would hope to rerun the test and measure every step with a multimeter and potentially get other people to test as well since it is a very easy test to conduct and to give the results more weight.

Ramma2

Very interesting. If physically disabling the light bar does indeed have a positive impact on battery performance, I will do that alteration. Anything to help stretch out that battery life, which after coming from a 360 controller and using Eneloops was a bit of an unpleasant surprise.

I quite enjoy the lights - likely it's just the novelty, but I find it makes the controller easy to find when I've set it down, and the occasional interaction with games, changing colours to reflect status, is good fun.

alatif113

Data:

Re test the batteries after another couple of hours and you shall have your difference to compare. (you dont need to start at full batteries, just compare the difference)

Dunlop

thanks for the info xn0, I will probably go that route as I can see no positive to the stupid lights and generally play in the dark on a plasma.

Still waiting to get my PS4 (first week of december) but I have already purchased another DS4. To play it on the PS3 do you have to be wired? Pretty sure it uses a different connection USB than the DS3 so I definitely will not have one long enough

xn0

Very interesting. If physically disabling the light bar does indeed have a positive impact on battery performance, I will do that alteration. Anything to help stretch out that battery life, which after coming from a 360 controller and using Eneloops was a bit of an unpleasant surprise.

I would say the biggest problem with disconnecting the LED is that the ribbon also supplies power to the mainboard as it connects the microUSB to the mainboard. It appears that pin 14 in my previous picture supplies power to the LED however cutting the ribbon cable or desoldering the LED is going to likely be difficult to reverse (unless you have a 4 inch 14pin ribbon cable lying around or have access to a focused heat gun).

ypo

UPDATE:

Make it an option Sony no excuse.

How much time elapsed between full and 1 bar xn0?

Top Bottom