• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief is 1080p on both PS4/Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cadieux is QA Mastering Tech. at Eidos: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/philippe-cadieux/1b/741/375

4koOUgy.png

Via OnlySP

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No comment on FPS from another S-E published game makes it seem like another TRDE situation may be incoming.

I'm going with a wait and see approach on this one.

Also, we might be taking his FPS comment completely out of context. The "No Comment" could easily apply to both versions... Maybe...

SFenton

Is it native? We've been at this point before.

I think the games at native 1080p outnumber scaled, right?

IIRC scaled is:
-CoD
-Battlefield (which isn't even native on PS4)
-[One I'm forgetting but exists, I'm pretty sure]

I think that while discussion about it should be encouraged, I myself will probably lean native at this point until I'm heartbreakingly proven otherwise.

hawk2025

eerrr isn't this a Square-Enix game as well?

No comment on FPS may be telling us more than it should, if SE is shooting for the same output across its different studios. Interesting.

prwxv3

The no comment on the FPS should be all we need to know. Even if they don't want to say exactly what thay are running at if both were running at the same framerate he would have said so.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

IIRC scaled is:
-CoD

I think that while discussion about it should be encouraged, I myself will probably lean native at this point until I'm heartbreakingly proven otherwise.

Also ACIV, DR3, Ryse, KI, and Titanfall (as of alpha)

Tripon

At some point, 3rd party devs will get XBox One games to run as good as PS4 games, but until they do, it's going to be funny & hilarious at how devs try to sidestep the issues.

IIRC scaled is:
-CoD

Ryse, Killer Instinct, Assassin's Creed, TitanFall (?)...

Some of these studios must see resolution and detail parity as being more important than framerate parity. I don't agree with that.

But the language is different this time around. With Tomb Raider, they said both versions are targeting 1080p / 30fps.

With Thief, hasn't Stephane Roy said Physics > FPS any day - flat out?

Skeff

Some of these studios must see resolution and detail parity as being more important than framerate parity. I don't agree with that.

I can see why they would make these decisions though with the resolutiongate we had getting resolution to match would be a nice thing to do for PR for your XB1 version of your game.

Also the framerate is something that is harder to distinguish in a headline, If Thief is running a variable 45fps on XB1 and a solid 60 on PS4, it's harder to distinguish than 1080p >900p as the framerate changes for the versions. In a cave the XB1 could peak at 50fps and in a massive fight scene the PS4 could be 49fps, so the variation could well muddy the waters.

Isn't 30fps locked better than a variable framerate, even if it's sometimes higher?

See? Muddy water.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
At some point, 3rd party devs will get XBox One games to run as good as PS4 games, but until they do, it's going to be funny & hilarious at how devs try to sidestep the issues.

"We're happy to announce that Tomb Raider is now available for the PS4 and XB1 andalsotheps4versionrunsat60fpsandthexb1doesnot enjoy the game!"

antitrop

To me, this reads like someone saying "At some point, 3rd party devs will get PS2 games to run as good as Xbox games" back in 2002.

There's a spec gap, deal with it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I love how he says no comment of FPS. Obviously the game is not gold, but anyway.

FrankT

1080p 30 plus all I need. Loving those insiders everyday.

Saw some Eurogamer something article about this with Thuways name. Haha wow.

Kilau

Gold Member
Would like confirmation that it's native 1080 on both. After watching gameplay videos it doesn't look like it will be too taxing on either system.

Orayn

IIRC scaled is:
-CoD

We've got a thread for that.

At the moment, PS4 only has one scaled game while the Xbox One has 6 native and 8 scaled. PS4 also has a future game that is sub-1080p but not scaled due to its unusual aspect ratio. (The Order is 1920x800 and letterboxed.)

Isn't 30fps locked better than a variable framerate, even if it's sometimes higher?

Depends on how much higher and the amount of fluctuation, among other things.

Megasoum

Banned
To be clear, I'm the ony who made the tweet in the OP and never talked about Thief. I don't know how OnlySP came to that conclusion but I was talking about Tomb Raider which has been said on multiple ocasion in the last week that it was running at 1080p.

I already asked the guy from OnlySP and mods from here to take down the thread/articles since they are lies putting words into my mouth.

TLDR: Nothing to see here, move along.

Edit: I only just now noticed that he was talking about Thief in the original tweet... I read too quickly and assumed he was talking about Tomb Raider since this is what everybody is talking about nowadays...dammit.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I love that gif;p

Good to see both games are native 1080p.

Nobody said native. :eek:

To be clear, I'm the ony who made the tweet in the OP and never talked about Thief. I don't know how OnlySP came to that conclusion but I was talking about Tomb Raider which has been said on multiple ocasion in the last week that it was running at 1080p.

I already asked the guy from OnlySP and mods from here to take down the thread/articles since they are lies putting words into my mouth.

Oh! Man that sucks, hate when things are twisted like that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Kind of makes sense that they'd go for parity on everything but framerate, as it's fair to assume that the majority of consumers are satisfied with 30, or in the worst case, can't even tell the difference. Maybe as more games run at 60, more people will start to care about the difference, though.

prwxv3

You no guys before shitting on the insiders I might be a good idea to see how the final game turns out on both systems. They might have the last laugh. No one predicted TR 60 FPS twist.

Skeff

LOL shut it down boys!

RetroStu

Banned
To me, this reads like someone saying "At some point, 3rd party devs will get PS2 games to run as good as Xbox games" back in 2002.

There's a spec gap, deal with it.

Oh come on, the Xbox was like 2 to 3 times more powerful than PS2, not 40% more powerful. I think people expecting a 'Tomb Raider' situation with most next gen games are in for a tough time this gen.

As for Thief, the game looks like a good last gen game so i would hope both versions are native 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom