• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

Good on Spencer for answering a lot of questions

Makes me wonder though, excluding Lionhead all of MS new I.Ps are coming from Third Party Devs and unless MS owns the rights to these new franchises what comes next (either if the devs decide to have their sequel be a XO exclusive or if they want to make a sequel to begin with) in the future looks bleak

Because in all honesty if the sales gap increases it will be harder for MS to secure these third party games and then we might see exactly what happened to the 360 late in its cycle reoccur for the XO
(unless they either expand BT or make them work on something else after Gears)

Ombala

So Gears will be a 2016 title?
Holiday 2015 sounds impossible if they just started on it.
What will we be the big 2015 holiday title?

This year, like 2014?

Yup!

And to prove its an Xbox One game i've pasted my post from that thread:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/duncan-harrison/5/496/33
Lead Programmer
Ruffian Games

November 2012 - March 2013
Code lead on unannounced next-gen project using Unreal Engine 4.

Just adding this:

Ruffian Games
September 2011 – Present (2 years 3 months) Dundee, United Kingdom

• Programmer on Unannounced Demo for Xbox One

• Programmer on Upcoming Game for Xbox One

http://www.linkedin.com/in/rgb1869

March 2009 – Present (4 years 9 months) Dundee, United Kingdom

Untitled Action Adventure Game
(Art Director/Character Artist - Unreal Engine 4)
In development...

http://www.linkedin.com/in/paullarge

Bsigg12

So Gears will be a 2016 title?
Holiday 2015 sounds impossible if they just started on it.
What will we be the big 2015 holiday title?

That's kinda what I'm wondering. It would have to be a new IP pretty much or a revival of a classic franchise.

We're good and he is cleared. Carry on.

3fFN1To.gif

Miles X

So if it's 2016, what have they been doing for the last 2 years? Surely Crackdown doesn't need 4+ years dev time?? Perhaps they recently started it and it'll get the average 2 year dev time? And Ruffian have been working on new IP?

So if it's 2016, what have they been doing for the last 2 years? Surely Crackdown doesn't need 4+ years dev time?? Perhaps they recently started it and it'll get the average 2 year dev time? And Ruffian have been working on new IP?

Well looking at my post above, if it is them then they have 6 employees. So the time is presumably being used to staff up

Bsigg12

According to ntkrnl the deal for it was struck last year so it'll get 2-3 years of development.

They blew it with Black Tusk.

We know what to expect from Gears of War, they'll try to make it feel fresh of course, but BT should have stuck to a new IP and not be wasted on Gears.

I do like Gears so I'm looking forward to it, but very disappointing.

ntkrnl

According to ntkrnl the deal for it was struck last year so it'll get 2-3 years of development.

The deal, but not development. Release is penciled for Q1 of 2016

CLARITY EDIT: I mean that development started before the deal was struck, so it will probably be about 2.5 years total.

Top Bottom