• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible reveal of Coaster Park Tycoon by Frontier at E3?

EDIT So yep I was right. Coaster park tycoon was just shown at the PC conference as Planet Coaster.
Made by frontier, this will be the spiritual successor of RCT3.

If mods want to change the name or want to make a new thread.

---------------------------------------------

So I was visiting the official Coaster Park Tycoon forums, after I read some days ago that Frontier was going to be present at the new PC Gaming Show, to see if there was something about it, and it wasn't only to show more about Elite.

Found this (is an excerpt from the Elite: dangerous newsletter):
Frontier @ E3 2015

The biggest videogame show of the year is less than a month away and Frontier will be in attendance with player Ambassadors Kerrash, Anderson DeGrear, Rezri and Malkir who will be helping us showcase Elite: Dangerous to the tens of thousands of journalists, YouTubers, streamers and bloggers in attendance.

It's a busy week for Frontier's entire team. We'll have lots on show at our booth in the Los Angeles Convention Center, and we're proud to announce we'll be appearing at E3's first ever PC Gaming Show where we'll be revealing our next original self-published title.

Don't worry if you can't make it to the show. We'll be bringing Frontier's E3 to you on our social media channels and in the newsletter starting the week of June 15.

Found here

So they are going to reveal a new game at the PC Gaming show. Coaster Park Tycoon is schedule to relase sometime in 2016.
With Elite and Coaster Park Tycoon in development, it would be very strange for it to be a different project. Also CPT is probably a PC game only, like RCT3 was, so it makes sense to show it at a PC Gaming show.

Or it could be a totally different project, who knows. But the biggest possibility right now is it being a trailer of CPT (and I really hope is that).

To sum up everything that has been happening since some months ago in the Theme Park sim genre:
wFBB9.jpg

-The last great theme park sim, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, and its expansions, were released 11 years ago. Nothing important in the genre has happen since.

-In 2014 zombie company Atari makes an announcement of TWO new RCT games. RCT4, that would be the mobile version, and RCTWorld that would be the PC one.

-RCT4 is released and is, of course, a microntransaction game hell.

-First screens of RCTWorld, developed by Pipeworks Software, are released Screenshot. They dont look that bad, theming zones and mascot history (ala disneyland) seem to be important, online play.

-In the meantime Theme Park Studio's betas are released (kickstarter project) although is more a theme park making tool than a game. Also another kickstarter project, Parkitect, is succesful and will be realeasing its alpha on steam in august. Pakitect is perfect for the RCT1 hardcore fans.

-Atari sacks Pipeworks and puts Area 52 in charge of RCTWorld, Area52 stops communicating with fans like Pipeworks was doing (releasing screens and concpet art regularly and asking for feedback at the official forums). Seems Pipeworks asked for more time to make a good game and Atari didn't want that. Atari says in their PR that Pipeworks had already done their work, and they looked for Area52 to "expand" it. This was obviously a big lie, as would now in the future.

-On January of this year, Frontier, developers of RCT3 and the RCT2 expansions, announce on their website Coaster Park Tycoon, basically saying it will be a sprititual sequel of RCT3. They open an official forum for the game, but no new news since then. Its pretty obvious that they decided to do it seeing the following Colossal Order was getting just before the release of Cities Skylines, thanks to trying to fix the Sim City 2013 fiasco. This would be the same thing bit with the theme park genre.

-Atari relases on March the first trailer of Areas 52's RCTWorld. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYNiIzBM7_w Aaaaaand, it looks like shit. Without exagerating it looks worse that RCT3, an 11 year old game. Not only that but the "devlogs" (nothing more than Atari PR) at the RCT offcial forums leave no doubt that the gameplay will be also worse than RCT3. Frontier is probably rubbing their hands.

-There a huge backlash in the forums, Atari tries to spin the awful trailer saying the game is not finished, more PR devlogs appear with shit news that cant convince anyone. And just weeks after that, suddenly, Area 52's logo dissapear from the forum and website. Atari doesnt want to confirm still Area 52 is out but that the game is still schedule to be released this year. People who mention Coater Park Tycoon on the RCT forums are banned (not anymore).

-Shocking news: Its discovered Area 52 was also sacked (not because Atari said something, but by Area 52 linkdins). Atari still says the game is schedule to be released this year. Nothing but lie, after lie, after lie, because they are scared as shit their only cashcow is dead.

-Frontier MAYBE shows Coaster Park Tycoon at this years E3.

So the king is dead, long live the king. (If Frontier decides to show it at E3)

Circinus

Hopefully. ^.^

I have fond memories of RCT, RCT2, RCT3. Yes, I liked RCT3 a lot as well, even if the different style took some time to get used to. Still go back from time to time to RCT3.

Edit: any reason why Atari didn't contract Frontier Developments for RCT 4 / RCT World after RCT 3? They did a great job with RCT3 imho!

You mean RCT4? Or is this another game by the old devs?

Didn't RCT4 get pushed back to TBA because the internet went on about graphics again?

Circinus

Didn't RCT4 get pushed back to TBA because the internet went on about graphics again?

The RCT4 you're thinking of is officially titled RCT World. ;) (all the information is in OP)

"RCT 4 Mobile" is the name of the mobile game.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

All of this information is in the OP. To summarize though, RCT4 was a mobile game by Atari, and the PC version of that game (also by Atari) has been in development limbo for a while, though supposedly scheduled to release this year. Frontier (developer of RCT3) is separate from Atari and would be making a spiritual successor independently.

EDIT: Beaten by Circinus.

Man, and I thought I made a good OP explaining everything lol

Hopefully. ^.^

I have fond memories of RCT, RCT2, RCT3. Yes, I liked RCT3 a lot as well, even if the different style took some time to get used to. Still go back from time to time to RCT3.

Edit: any reason why Atari didn't contract Frontier Developments for RCT 4 / RCT World after RCT 3? They did a great job with RCT3 imho!

RCT3 is the best build your dream park simulator on the market, so dont worry, you are not alone in your opinion. It also sold incredibly well and had a bunch of fans making and even better game thanks to all the custom scenery released in all this years.
People that dont like it prefer the type of easier buiilding and more in depth micromanagement of RCT1 and 2, or didnt try it after the expansions came, which made RCT3 much better.

About Atari not contacting Frontier, in the ending years of RCT3 there was a lot of bad decissions made by atari and its not surprising that Frontier didnt want to continue working with them. Just look what happened with Pipeworks and Area 52. Atari is a disgrace of a company.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I had no idea what Frontier was doing. I'd love to see a revival a la Cities Skylines.

Thanks for the timeline. I knew most of it, except the very important Frontier stuff.

Fat Goron

I hope that both Parkitect and Coaster Park Tycoon turn out to be good, so that all kinds of RCT fans have something to look forward to.

I hope that both Parkitect and Coaster Park Tycoon turn out to be good, so that all kinds of RCT fans have something to look forward to.

Indeed!
Coaster Park Tycoon is really what Im looking for but the last shots ive seen from Parkitect look really good (although for me is a devolution of what the sim theme park genre was trying to acomplish years after year).

So yep I was right. Coaster park tycoon was just shown at the PC conference as Planet Coaster.
Made by frontier, this will be the spiritual successor of RCT3

Top Bottom