• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The big Chinese WWII military parade is starting now

Status
Not open for further replies.
DGzAObu.png
DGzAObu.png
DGzAObu.png
DGzAObu.png

Where are the "Death to Japan" death threats? Kidding, of course. This is the Chinese government. They prefer subtle jabs, these days.

Lesath

Ironic, because Youtube is blocked in China.

^ I see some comments about Japanese dogs already. Yep, there it is. "Death to little Japan."

Do the lyrics to this anthem translate to "What economic collapse? What industrial catastophes? What currency devaluation? Shut up and watch the marching!"

numble

They closed down 10,000+ factories and construction sites and limited cars to 50% of cars each day for the past two and a half weeks to ensure the air would be good. At least it was a very pleasant August air-wise.

Do the lyrics to this anthem translate to "What economic collapse? What industrial catastophes? What currency devaluation? Shut up and watch the marching!"

actually I think this is celebrating the end of WW2 and Japanese occupation

and with all the atrocities Japan committed it makes sense that people would celebrate their freedom from such tragedy.... regardless of current distress

They closed down 10,000+ factories and construction sites and limited cars to 50% of cars each day for the past two and a half weeks to ensure the air would be good. At least it was a very pleasant August air-wise.

i was about to say. no way beijing's air is this clear in august/september

Lesath

I suppose that explains why I can see the sky.

PUTIN! Yes!

The fact they were able to cobble together a sunny day is nothing short of a miracle.

Air quality: https://twitter.com/beijingair
Also has links to stations at other US consulates, which are often as bad/worse. This is the outpost that registered the infamous "off scale" reading a few years ago when Beijing looked like Bladerunner's LA.

waxer

and with all the atrocities Japan committed it makes sense that people would celebrate their freedom from such tragedy.... regardless of current distress
Yep. That is indeed what it is for making quite a few posts so far in rather poor taste. Not that I'm chinese. Japanese really did a number on them. Especially as they left. Eg unit 731.

This. Even ignoring the atrocities and war crimes, the Chinese lost 14 million people during WWII, second only to the USSR in terms of causalities.

Are those chrome AK-47s?
That's the best synchronized crap I've ever seen in my life.
They do put the North Korea and Russian parades to shame, yes. Love the camera and sound guys walk around the edges like at a sporting event.

Reminder: The US Army could do cool shit like this were we not perpetually out actively bombing and invading other countries. The best we get is fighter jet flyovers at NFL games.

I want to see some tanks!

Same! and some bootleg F-22's, oh and I secretly have my hopes up for a Gundam too in all seriousness after that propaganda video about the "threat of Japan" included a clip of a CG Gundam lol.

Either way, cool parade in general. I know its all "look how strong we are now" posturing nonsense, but I would bet they would have thousands of tourists if they opened it to them and did it annually or something. I'd want to go at least to be honest.

DarkFlow

Banned
Can anyone give a quick outline of what he's saying?

Same! and some bootleg F-22's, oh and I secretly have my hopes up for a Gundam too in all seriousness after that propaganda video about the "threat of Japan" included a clip of a CG Gundam lol.

Either way, cool parade in general. I know its all "look how strong we are now" posturing nonsense, but I would bet they would have thousands of tourists if they opened it to them and did it annually or something. I'd want to go at least to be honest.

According to the BBC, 80% of the stuff they are about to show as never been seen in the public before. I bet the DoD is going to watch this like a hawk.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-34125418

Yamauchi

Banned
Pretty sure they were not invited, at least Abe sure as heck wasn't. That said also sure SK came because the North did not and has been on the outs with China since the power shift.
Inviting Park and not Kim seems pretty major to me. The falling out between Beijing and Pyongyang must be more serious than I realized.

Inviting Park and not Kim seems pretty major to me. The falling out between Beijing and Pyongyang must be more serious than I realized.

Yup, China has been riding the South Korea love train for a while now, at least the public has in terms of pop culture and media ect. It's also one of the most visited places for Chinese tourists along with Japan since they are so close. Tie that together with the kid who inherited North Korea basically giving China the cold shoulder from day one, China just moves closer to the South's side each week it seems. Honestly for the past decade or more it seems like that China NK alliance is more something out of circumstances of the past than anything they actually want/would want these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom