• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: About 80% of PS4 owners haven't played Uncharted; hope for high success

With all three PS3 Uncharted games coming to PS4 in the form of the Nathan Drake Collection this Friday, Naughty Dog’s community strategist Eric Monacelli told MCV he expects a similarly fervent reception.

“I do, personally, expect the Uncharted Collection to do as well as The Last of Us Remastered,” he said.

“Company-wide, our studio loves it. They set the bar at [the studio porting the games to PS4] Bluepoint and did a really good job with everything – adding new features and making sure that everything looks good.

“So, yeah, our expectations are high for it. We hope it does quite well.”
Monacelli added that the very same untouched audience on PS4 could drive the Uncharted Collection’s sales.

“It's pretty massive,” he admits. “We did a lot of research and discovered that about 80 per cent of the people that own a PS4 have never played Uncharted, period. That was one of the reasons why we thought remastering it would be a good idea.

"The other reason is we decided we wanted to do it; especially when we got The Last of Us Remastered done, we thought 'Oh man, this would be cool if we could go back'.”
Via MCV

Ouren

" That was one of the reasons why we thought remastering it would be a good idea."

That adds up

I have not played any of the three and I even had a ps3 for a bit, haha.

I'm pretty psyched for Friday. 3 very well regarded games for 60 dollars? I'm down with that. I hope to hop on the U4 hype train after I finish.

Boke1879

Damn. I really wonder how they find out this data. Probably user names, and trophies associated with it.

Damn no wonder why remastered these

Geeeeeez. Is it just a lot of 360-only owners jumping ship this generation? That seems incredibly high.

Even a lot of PS3 only players probably haven't played Uncharted before. So it's not surprising to be honest. And even if a lot of people on PS3 did play Uncharted, they may not necessarily have a PS4 [yet].

Replicant

Before everyone else sees it, could you guys please fix that bug that froze Drake if he kicks the door on the island? doesn't happen often but it's annoying since you can't move due to the bug and is pretty much DOA because of it.

Eolz

If they are just looking at trophy lists, I'm not sure that's a good way of knowing if someone played Uncharted before or not...

Played with/at a friend, different or new account, etc

Jawmuncher

To me this just goes to show that switching sides is mighty common. People care about the hardware and price more than anything else it seems.

Guri

Yeah, obviously previous Xbox 360 owners didn't play it, but not everyone who had a PS3 played it either. Hope it does well.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Any solid stats on that?

For the US-

lifetime-ownership.jpg

There are still a LOT of people on last gen who haven't upgraded.

I was over on 360. I've played some of the first Uncharted, though. Maybe a handful of hours.

I'm pretty much in that eighty percent, but I just don't like Naughty Dog's games. I might give the trilogy a chance if I can get it in a Black Friday sale for cheaply just to see though.

Lots of people I knew skipped PS3 altogether, so I'm not surprised that the number is high, though THAT high...yeah, that's a bit surprising.

Illucio

Banned
I played the Beta for Uncharted 3 online multiplayer for PS3 and loved it.

I just never bought the game or prequels because I was focused on other games and then felt like the price was never right to buy all 3.

Now the collection is coming Friday and I'm excited to see what everyone's talking about (campaign mode wise.)

I'm still pissed at Naughty Dog's comment for thinking they're past cartoony games and they've "matured" as game makers for creating Uncharted or The Last of Us.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yeah, obviously previous Xbox 360 owners didn't play it, but not everyone who had a PS3 had it either. Hope it does well.

That's an understatement. Games sold well, but nowhere near enough to grab large % of the PS3 userbase. Those who had PS3 and missed it now have chance to play it, and off course PS4 attracted a lot of x360 users and gamers who never had any console up to now.

80% is a good guess

I would wager it's because, for one reason or another, this generation has many gamers who moved from 360 to PS4, without bothering with an XB1.

Drac84

In many ways you could look at the remaster trilogy as simply great advertising for UC4. Introduce the series to a big chunk of gamers that haven't played the original games to ensure they're up to speed and hyped.

Gorillaz

It was a mainly SP game on a console that wasn't exactly favored at first.

Alot of people on the ps3 alone never fucked with it either let alone the people who use to be on xbox

nib95

Banned
Makes sense. There must be a lot of people who never owned a PS3 last gen that now have a PS4, and even then, the PS3's install base is what, 80+ million? And each game sold on average 7 million? That's a lot of people that never purchased the game.

Top Bottom