• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little details you appreciate in Uncharted 4

leng jai

We had this thread for GTA5 and The Witcher 3, UC4 surely deserves one as well. I'll start us off:

- You can see the actual texts Nathan sends on his phone if you zoom into the screen in photomode:

uncharted-4-attention-to-detail-8.jpg

- Sam squints accordingly when you shine your torch in his face.

- If you interrupt conversations while riding in the jeep they seamlessly resume once you're ready again.

- Nate equips his rifle realistically by pulling the strap over his head.

- These are in all of ND's recent games, but the audio settings include elaborate options for speaker azimuth, dynamic range and custom device presets.

rob305

We had this thread for GTA5 and The Witcher 3, UC4 surely deserves one as well. I'll start us off:

- You can see the actual texts Nathan sends on his phone if you zoom into the screen in photomode:

- Sam squints accordingly when you shine your torch in his face.

- If you interrupt conversations while riding in the jeep they seamlessly resume once you're ready again.

- Nate equips his rifle realistically by pulling the strap over his head.

- These are in all of ND's recent games, but the audio settings include elaborate options for speaker azimuth, dynamic range and custom device presets.

I love how Nathan moves the rope over his head when walking around with a rope attached to something.

Also that scene you described is a perfect example of stuff most people will never see. If you go ahead and take a picture of Sully he will start to goof around and give you shit

If you hold L2 in front of any mirror, he'll do a pose/gesture.

You can climb inside your car from any direction. You don't need a certain amount of space on the sides to open the door, so if the doors are blocked off, Drake will just climb through the back or run up the hood towards the driver's seat.

The Lamp

Nate climbs onto his partner AIs shoulders and plants his feet on the back of their knees/ankles when there's not enough room on the ledge for both of them

BroBot's pix
Ei77ZOi.png

Oublieux

A few thing I noticed:
- Sofa and furniture deform under a character's body weight.
- Drake naturally moves his hand and arm to point a flashlight in the right direction when you adjust camera (this was never the case in previous games and bothered me immensely).
- Swaying hook and straps from the various guns and rope on his body.
- Drake dragging a body into tall grass from a stealth kill if near enough to cover.
- Physics-based hair movement.

Rocwell

I was really impressed with the climbing animations, I had a lot of fun using the analog climbing instead of using X button to jump around like a mountain goat. You can tell they took criticisms to heart about the climbing systems since not only did they refine the animation system but also often times gave you a few different routes to reach your next objective.

The attention to detail in how the winch works was also a surprise, I thought I'd just run up to a post and hit a prompt but you actually have to run around it and hook it back onto the cable itself and then it slips into place in a satisfying way when it pulls taut.

Other than that just the insane attention to detail in places that players might never even stop to look at in their playthroughs, I didn't even come close to seeing everything based on how many of the collectible treasures, journals, and conversations I missed out on my first playthrough too.

:edit:

The bit about climbing on top of the AI partners reminds me that you can also take cover behind them as well which was a surprise. I always found it a pain in the butt when you couldn't use a piece of cover because one of the AI was using it but now you can just use them as your own personal bullet shield which is kinda nice.

cackhyena

Nate climbs onto his partner AIs shoulders and plants his feet on the back of their knees/ankles when there's not enough room on the ledge for both of them

BroBot's pix
Ei77ZOi.png
I just noticed this playing tonight. I thought it was hilarious. Sam even looks like he's squirming when you hang there for a bit.

Also, I'm finding gun sounds to be pretty amazing. Battlefield vibes with the pop and echo some guns give off.

BroBot

BroBot's pix
Ei77ZOi.png

I'm going to try to do that with
Elena

Also, Nate and Elena have Sony Xperia and Walkman phones.

When you want to get back in the 4x4, Nate will pull his rifle's strap over his head in order to place the gun down in the vehicle while driving.

I also like how it's very dark when you first walk into a cave or room, but then it brightens after a few seconds. Simulates your eyes dialating, and it felt natural while playing.

I also liked the moment where
your flashlight and lighter died in the underground tunnel and you had to wait for Elena to strike some matches.
Just felt like something that would actually happen, and a cool character interaction.

This product placement is kind of cringeworthy tbh, although not as bad as the close up of the SONY logo on Elena's phone when she receives the call.

Also how in the FUCK is he connected to WiFi down there?

styl3s

I just noticed this playing tonight. I thought it was hilarious. Sam even looks like he's squirming when you hang there for a bit.

Also, I'm finding gun sounds to be pretty amazing. Battlefield vibes with the pop and echo some guns give off.
I was really, really impressed with the gun sounds in UC4 the gun sounds in UC1-3 always sounded dull and never felt like they had power to them.

Also, is the straps on guns and you putting them over your head/shoulder new? I don't remember that being in any previous Uncharted i remember being really impressed the first time i picked up a AK and Nate slung it over his head for some reason.

jett

D-Member

BroBot's pix
Ei77ZOi.png

The Drake brothers are genetic freaks. Where does this inhuman strength come from??

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This product placement is kind of cringeworthy tbh, although not as bad as the close up of the SONY logo on Elena's phone when she receives the call.

How dare Sony advertise their own products.

ButchCat

I like how everytime a photo is clipped on to a letter or paper of some sort a shadow is cast on it. It's extremely subtle but I love it.

the way Nadine's hair bounces and the way light reflects off it. I dont have a good photo on me, so here's Hillary Banks from the show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air instead.

latest

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Sony makes phones so it's not jarring to see.

They had a good at least five second close up that just showed the SONY logo on her phone before she picked up, it was pretty jarring, though I'm not bugged by it, just thought it was funny.

There's a time and place for it and it takes me out of games when I see it, unless it's subtle.

If the incredibly not subtle PS1 and actually being able to play Crash doesn't take you out of the game, then neither should the phone.
While product placement can be for advertising, it's also for immersion.

Had the phone been the only thing in the game that was "real", id agree. Not the case though.

I heard a random Motorola ringtone in the game and it was so convincing I reached for my phone (except I have a Samsung)

The reflection on the marble floor in the auction room level.

Sam squinting when you shine a torch in his face.

Ibuki

Banned

You would rather see some off-brand made up phone? I don't see how this is an issue.

Top Bottom