• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

intentional bad punctuation/grammar to make posts look low effort (blame space postin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know if you make a bad joke, you don't want anyone to think that that you put effort into making it. It would be embarrassing to put effort into a bad joke. In these situations, I like to intentionally make my posts look low effort, to signal that I'm not really invested in my bad joke. Specifically, I avoid putting capital letters at the start of the sentence and don't put a period at the end. Sort of like blame space writes all of his posts. That way, if my joke doesn't land, at least it didn't look as if I really cared for it myself, and I avoid losing face. The ironic thing is that I mostly post on mobile. And on mobile phones, the keyboard software will automatically put a capital letter at the start of your sentence. So going back to erase it and put in a lower-case letter to make my post look low effort actually requires more effort.

Does anyone else do the same thing?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
No capitalization, punctuation, uppercase, sentence not being on the same line and abbreviation is the bare minimum.
g
g
guys
g
g

Just isnt dank enough for our memester society.
Edit: this is only a joke bro

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah this is a really bad assessment of blame space's posting. blame space actually practices a very sophisticated style of posting characterized by apparently stream of consciousness posts, delivered staccato--bursts of 3 or 4 short one-two line posts in a row, as he develops and elaborates on his thoughts. His spelling and grammar are also good. Other than not using caps, there's really nothing about his posting style that matches this. The manic energy of the posts reflects the sincerity of his character. If you're going to say the Emperor is naked, you better make sure he actually is.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Your post has more capitalization and punctuation than it deserves. shoulda gone low effort

Bread

Banned
Yeah this is a really bad assessment of blame space's posting. blame space actually practices a very sophisticated style of posting characterized by apparently stream of consciousness posts, delivered staccato--bursts of 3 or 4 short one-two line posts in a row, as he develops and elaborates on his thoughts. His spelling and grammar are also good. Other than not using caps, there's really nothing about his posting style that matches this. If you're going to say the Emperor is naked, you better make sure he actually is.
got em

suck on it op

v1lla21

I post from my phone all the time. I don't have time for punctuation. I mess up a lot and I'm too lazy to fix it. There's a lot of random commas as well but that's because I mess up and press comma instead of space.

egruntz

shelaughz
Yeah this is a really bad assessment of blame space's posting. blame space actually practices a very sophisticated style of posting characterized by apparently stream of consciousness posts, delivered staccato--bursts of 3 or 4 short one-two line posts in a row, as he develops and elaborates on his thoughts. His spelling and grammar are also good. Other than not using caps, there's really nothing about his posting style that matches this. The manic energy of the posts reflects the sincerity of his character. If you're going to say the Emperor is naked, you better make sure he actually is.

yeh but what about syntacks

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Is this an invitation to sarcastically shit post or are you trying to get everyone banned?

Sorry for being unclear. I wasn't trying to call out blame space's style of posting. This was specifically about how I (and maybe others) imitate his punctuation in situations where we want to appear as putting little effort into our posts. I wasn't trying to say that blame space generally doesn't put effort into his posts, but rather that he is an inspiration for us all

I mean, I do this but more to make it obvious that it isn't meant to be read like a dry joke, which sometimes I also want to do. But just because it's supposed to make it look like a warm, gentle comment doesn't make it any less sophisticated.

It's all in the theatrical fantasy you're trying to communicate, right? It's an authored kind of comfort. I mean sometimes I change my avatar specifically to support a new kind of act that I want to change into. It gets complex. You know they're not just all lesbians for no reason.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
3B63GOW.jpg

Sami+

You know, I think I subconsciously picked it up from him without noticing. When I'm trying to convey something a bit more thought out I put more effort in, but generally I lean towards a much sloppier stream of consciousness style with relatively proper structure and spelling, but no punctuation.

but like that's just 'cause that's how I talk not really a deliberate effort

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I sir, I think a lot of these people that get outraged at the injustice of having to read an ill fitting sentence or even might I say a grammatically unsound structure do not have an authentic love for the English language. They learn a few rules and then treat them like gospel that can not be broken. You never see a complicated problem tackled, only one a misguided ultracrepidarian would speak up about. These are not the post you need to concern yourself with.

___

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

broke and hung his opinion out to dry like a broken tv and cell phone

I don't know, but I like writing some of my posts in that fashion sometimes. It just gives off a certain tone. I find that it often matches some of the inner monologue that goes on in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom