• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of legacy has the Left 4 Dead series left behind?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
For most of you are these games more than simple, fun distractions? I wonder if there is even hype for a third installment. To me the series has always been in its own weird little niche that I don't think has been quite fulfilled in that way since.

It's that weird Valve series that feels more like a fanmade Source mod than Counter Strike.

Some affection for it, but wonder if 3 will just be more of the same or a heavy departure, given how a glut of zombie games each year is now the norm.

It's that weird Valve series that feels more like a fanmade Source mod than Counter Strike.

Some affection for it, but wonder if 3 will just be more of the same or a heavy departure, given how a glut of zombie games each year is now the norm.

I'm not looking forward with how they might handle l4d now. Just gonna be crates everywhere :\

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
One of my favorite game series of all time. A marvel of contextual storytelling and atmosphere. My daughters and I have put hundreds of hours into the series.

Awesome podcast and chill series. I look forward to a sequel, I dread the monetization.

I'll confess I consider getting the safehouse symbol as a tattoo on occasion.

Syf

Banned
Only shooter IP that has staying power for me. I adore the games and would be there for a third installment day one as long as they don't go too crazy with hats and crates. Only reason I stopped playing is my friends stopped and they're a lot less fun with randoms.

I remember it had a very solid scene around it. Truest cooperative game i can recall. Though i've never played to much of it because i don't like playing with other people.

Left 4 Dead is one of my favorite series ever, both for the gameplay and for also being basically some of the best zombie fiction ever. My pantheon is the "...of the Dead trilogy," 28 Days Later, World War Z novel, and L4D.

I really, really, really hope there's a third installment.

Sai-kun

Banned
still playin that shit like 7 years later. absolutely one of my favorite games of all time.

realism versus owns forever

Theosmeo

I feel like it's kinda set a strange precedent because there was a while where 4 player coop fps were everywhere and kinda bland. I'd probably like l4d more if it had kinesthetics, the guns feel limp and zombies just kinda ragdoll once you shoot them enough

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
L4D2 is my most played game on Steam, and introduced me to a group of people I connected with and play co-op or team-oriented games with all the time. We've all been starving for L4D3 since the first whispers of development leaked out, and even though I'm long over the zombie aesthetic, I will always have a place in my library for Left 4 Dead. I just hope they bring Realism VS back for L4D3. After they released the stats showing that a little over 1% of players used it, we started worrying that they might cut it whenever the sequel rolls around.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It was a great party game with friends on 360, from someone who previously had no connection to Valve, it was great fun.

still 20k peak players on steam, as of today. For a game this old, that's crazy good.

While a new release like COD Infinite Warfare is peaking at just 15k on Steam

I sometimes think about Left4Dead, and why it didn't click with me compared to Team Fortress 2 or Dota 2. Haven't been able to put my finger on it, I think it was my first exposure to online co-op so there was a definite novelty factor to that. One of the things I really liked is how I could go from PC to 360 easily, game felt like a glove and I was able to pull off all the weird shit I did on PC like hunter wall runs.

It just never had any legs with me. I played the sequel about as much, but mostly on scavenge mode. The thing that puts me off going back is the community. It seems to be a lot of screaming teenage kids. Perhaps what it boils down to was that I liked the first game more than the second. Valve sort of dropped L4D so fast in favour of L4D2, and then the original maps never really had the same feel in the sequel.

It never clicked with me, but I don't think I played it properly. Like I've never played it with people, always single player, and I don't think thats where it shines.

Beepos

It's actually one of the more played games still left on Steam given how old it is. A third one would be super popular.

I think I'll be most interested in a third entry if they have a campaign that brings story more to the forefront, while also allowing players to play a mode that strips most of the story out and plays more like L4D1 & 2. Like have a more dedicated and intricate experience crafted in, but also make it so each level can be played without as many NPCs or scripted events to allow players to jump in and out of levels without much baggage. I'm sure that one of the reasons it was always light on plot was because they wanted people to be able to play it out of order without much loss, but I think they should expand on the stories presented, so I think a good compromise could be found.

One thing I just thought of is maybe it should become even more of an anthology series. Each level was often presented as a mini story within itself, each having a movie poster representing it, and having a clear beginning, middle and end. So maybe they should pursue that further, maybe having a trilogy of "films" for three different groups of survivors (so 9 total), with a heavier focus on story that builds up seemingly unrelated plot threads to a grand conclusion. Maybe have three "finales", where the three teams are mixed up after a climactic event, resulting in the group dynamics changing as they work together to pursue their shared goals.

I really like that idea actually. Too bad if Valve is making L4D3, they are probably going to just do the same thing as with 1 & 2 with hats/crates/etc. I wonder if the reason Valve is so radio silent is because that even if they are ready to announce some games they have in development, maybe they really just want to try out an Apple like announcement to release timeframe. Like L4D3 or whatever will just randomly be announced one month before it releases, and they can get away with it because of how big Steam is.

At least Black Mesa will finally be complete next summer or if there minor delays at least sometime in 2017. I honestly feel like fans may have to make HL3, not by forming a development team around making a mod, but by slowly getting hired to and changing the culture of Valve from the inside. We may have to wait another decade or so before there are enough fresh faces who can join up with Valve partly inspired by Half Life and form a large enough development team to get the ball rolling again on that project. Maybe the older team members are just done with Half Life and we need fresh blood to breath new life into it.

I feel like the arguments saying HL3 can't ever live up to the hype and thus Valve shouldn't even bother trying anymore are just looking at things the wrong way. Look at DOOM 2016 as an example of a great revival of a dormant franchise that lived up to the legacy. Why can't the same happen with a Half Life revival?

Well, this sort of unintentionally switched into talking about Half Life, but what can you do when Valve is the subject? I was also letting out some of my thoughts on the discussion in.this thread. So I guess I'll post some of this over there too.

Erv

It's the only game I have any urge to play online and one of my top five games of all time. I pray we get a sequel

Top Bottom