• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC second largest market in 2016 (mobile #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

PC gaming appears to be thriving. According to SuperData Research, PC gaming was the second strongest market in 2016, earning a total of $35.8bn between January & November. Mobile gaming was the strongest market and console gaming was the third strongest market.

As SuperData Research claimed, PC gaming is growing by 6.7 per cent year-on-year. This figure includes social, free-to-play, subscription and premium PC games.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/repor...g-a-total-of-35-8bn-between-january-november/

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Not sure this surprises anyone or if it should surprise anyone. Platforms where the games are cheaper, barrier of entry is cheaper, and platforms in which you get to keep the content you purchase forever without having to worry about backwards compatibility.

ggx2ac

Not surprised by that.

Edit: Even the article is telling me that.

League of Legends and Overwatch drove PC sales. PC gamers also saw a big improvement with the release of a new generation of graphics cards, offering a 40% increase in graphics power and a 20% reduction of power consumption.

This basically proves that PC gaming is one of the most crucial and important markets. But then again… we are pretty sure that most of you already knew about it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Not sure this surprises anyone or if it should surprise anyone. Platforms where the games are cheaper, barrier of entry is cheaper, and platforms in which you get to keep the content you purchase forever without having to worry about backwards compatibility.

not really. a £350 PS4 pro can do way more than a £350 PC. my first gaming PC cost £800 and my current one cost £1,300. didn't a developer say that the PS4 pro is similar to a $900 PC? the price is higher up front but you get way better performance/visuals and all the cheaper games make up for it.

i'm still happy to PC doing well though. i made the switch last year. still have a console but it's not my main platform anymore.

It's good to have Steamspy as a compliment to these figures, so that while they do include social games and free 2 play, we know that premium games have also very succesful this year.

CryptiK

Now if only people put more effort into PC communities and not shun them as 4th tier trash, looking at you Activision.

LordRaptor

not really. a £350 PS4 pro can do way more than a £350 PC.

tumblr_n237uu78yk1s1wpdlo1_400.gif

gai_shain

not really. a £350 PS4 pro can do way more than a £350 PC. my first gaming PC cost £800 and my current one cost £1,300. didn't a developer say that the PS4 pro is similar to a $900 PC? the price is higher up front but you get way better performance/visuals and all the cheaper games make up for it.

i'm still happy to PC doing well though. i made the switch last year. still have a console but it's not my main platform anymore.

I know what you mean but a pc obviously has more uses

A 350 pc wont outperform a pro though atm

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I know what you mean but a pc obviously has more uses

of course but if you were wanting one just to play games you'd still need to spend more money. it's cheaper to go out and buy a PS4 at £230 or a Pro at £350 than build a PC that can do 1440/1800/2160p gaming. so the price barrier is not lower for PC.

Jackpot

Banned
So many companies treat PC ports as an afterthought. How big is the market once you remove indies, F2P microtransactions, and the like?

Renekton

How does it look if you take away Blizzard and F2Ps? 😁

Anyways I helped! Recommended my friends entry-level gaming PCs.

MilkBeard

Even with my crusty laptop I've got a number of games on Steam that I buy occasionally that can run on a potato.

More companies should release their games on PC, it's the everlasting platform.

Atomski

So many companies treat PC ports as an afterthought. How big is the market once you remove indies, F2P microtransactions, and the like?

Day one sales, Preorder bonuses, yearly releases... theres a lot of things most of the AAA market does that PC gamers just dont nearly jive with like console gamers do.

I feel like console gamers are slowly figuring out this stuff though.

ParityBit

I actually moved from my Xbox One and PS4 back to PC gaming recently. I have no allegiance!

I am enjoying it though! Man ... these prices ...

Furyous

This is interesting to a shocking extent because mobile gaming is ranked number one. Imagine what happens to mobile gaming once >75% of android devices run Vulcan on 64 bit SOCs. In five years when every entry level android device performs on par with 2015 flagships things get interesting and hopefully develop at a level that older console gamers can accept.

Call me crazy but I am befuddled that PC gaming is that high. Is it ranking the high elite end of pc gaming only or counting the regular people playing games on non elite systems? This isn't a shot at people running non elite systems without the exquisite gaming rigs. I can see the ranking if it counts everything but remain downright befuddled if the only the elite PC market segment comprises the vast majority of this ranking.

Does this make me a third tier consumer because I game on consoles? If a dev takes this list as is then we might be in some trouble if this continues for another four years.

Frostman

Not surprising. But I imagine most releases will continue to sell more on consoles than PC, and money is what talks the most in this industry (as with any really)

Are there even people who are still saying this? Haven't heard that phrase in ages.

There are definitely those who think that it's in a very bad state, and that excessive DRM is the only true saviour that can bring a light to the situation.

Does this make me a third tier consumer because I game on consoles? If a dev takes this list as is then we might be in some trouble if this continues for another four years.

That depends on what kind of games you play. I think that there's little doubt that things like AAA action games in most cases still sell wastly more on consoles.

Cdammen

[...] with Destiny they are leaving hundreds of millions on the table.
This! What the hell. I was so surprised that it never appeared on PC. Does anyone know of any article containing the reasoning for them not releasing it on PC?

(EDIT)
Half of those sales are due to people rebuying games after being banned though. Besides, PC has no exclusive games, so you need a console.
I think I did my first spit-take on NeoGAF, thankfully it wasn't anything containing sugar so the desk is safe. I love the sarcastic posts in PC threads.

Uzzy

Half of those sales are due to people rebuying games after being banned though. Besides, PC has no exclusive games, so you need a console.

pislit

So many uncles unknowingly installed Steam and accidentally bought games.

Before anyone comes up with a figure about PC AAA sales dwarfing consoles', PC have a very wide range of demographics other than en masse buying COD and FFXV; from Euro work-life simulators, to rebuilding Vampire: The Masquerade with unofficial patches / restored content, from Age of Empires II receiving DLC a century later to whatever VN games Steam-GAF recommending. Most of these people don't cross-pollinate, but jshackles have all of their games.

LOL

of course but if you were wanting one just to play games you'd still need to spend more money. it's cheaper to go out and buy a PS4 at £230 or a Pro at £350 than build a PC that can do 1440/1800/2160p gaming. so the price barrier is not lower for PC.

Whyd you have to do this bro... why.

Now add 60/year in online costs and 30 dollars more for each game you buy. Extrapolate.

Like... accept it. Your extra initial spend, especially as a hardcore gamer, is made back quickly.

Not surprising. But I imagine most releases will continue to sell more on consoles than PC, and money is what talks the most in this industry (as with any really)

If you mean Call of Duty, sure. Yearly AAA drek doesn't appeal to a crowd that looks for more sustainable experiences. But as you can see for yourself, PC gaming is certainly more profitable. Which is why over 4000 games released on Steam this year alone.

LordRaptor

Call me crazy but I am befuddled that PC gaming is that high. Is it ranking the high elite end of pc gaming only or counting the regular people playing games on non elite systems? This isn't a shot at people running non elite systems without the exquisite gaming rigs. I can see the ranking if it counts everything but remain downright befuddled if the only the elite PC market segment comprises the vast majority of this ranking.

It's everybody spending money on Pc games. That's who PC gamers are, as much as some people are annoyed that Steam sells things like Nancy Drew Mysteries or whatever.

Kayhan

Headline should have been

"Console gaming distant 3rd in market size. Certain gaffers rending their garments"

GAF saved PC gaming in 2009.

18-Volt

Does this mean laptops will die instead of desktops and desktops will live forever?

Seriously, I want to know how growing PC market will affect laptop x desktop battle. I hoped that laptops would be completely replaced by hybrids like Surface by now.

viHuGi

Banned
Free to Play is huge on pc, LOL has 100 million monthly active users and I bet most of them spent some money on the game, also Dota 2 is huge.

The problem with pc gaming is that Triple A is still super small and with no growth in sight but who cares when games like CS sell 25 million wich is absolutely stunning.

Mobile well as always huge and Consoles still a huge part of the market thanks to HUGE Triple A games.

Overall pretty good all around.

Atomski

I think it's just plain simple sales quantity.

if you only pay attention to AAA big publisher games I guess.. which once again do not jive nearly as much with many of the PC crowd.

if you think about the amount of games released in this year alone.. PC trumps consoles like crazy.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
According to SteamDB: I have 95 games. The current value of my account is £1,396 but the total cost with sales is £494!

Here in the UK a new game usually costs £40-55 for consoles. For £1,396 I could buy 25-34 games. For £494 I could buy 8-12 games.

I just can't go back to paying that much for a game anymore:

Cost / Games

£40.54 and higher = 1
£24.33 – £40.53 = 14
£8.12 – £24.32 = 52
£4.06 – £8.11 = 13
£1.63 – £4.05 = 1
£0.01 – £1.62 = 0
No price = 14

Only 1 game I have paid over £40 for (Witcher 3). most of my games cost between £8-24. So much cheaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom